Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd November 2005, 21:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

ICICI bak was mentioning a special deal for corporates.
Go check that out.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 22:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The doors have the new style handles which are now common on most new-gen cars including the Honda Accord.
Even the Swift has those new style handles.. and the Octavia ofcourse.. becoming quite common with the new cars now.. maybe European styling...
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 23:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Finally there is some competition for accent Crdi....
But i don't think fiesta can outperform an accent in terms of performance....
now i suppose hyundai will slash prices n come out with attractive features.

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 04:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

WOnt really comment on the peroformance of the fiesta against the Accent CRDI

Boy it is low on BHP's but look at the huge torque.

I assume Ford can increase its sales on with the help of Ikon 1.6 at the lower end and Fiesta with proper pricing strategies in the long run and good marketing.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 05:07   #65
BHPian

Default Fusion mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
fusion and fiesta 1.6 kerb weights are almost exactly same... and since engine too is the same, I doubt they would have bothered (or needed) to put another gearbox. The difference that I can think of may be in suspension and drag coefficient (due to totally different body size/shape). but can these things add a couple of kms to a litre? no, I suppose. weight is the major criteria. Also tyres I guess are smaller and they could have retuned the fuel system, not sure. But then ford has high claims about everything being "optimized for india", didn't understand well what exactly is so much india specific....

after all speculations, isn't there a fair chance for everything other than obvious changes like the body to be all same??
Fusion anytime will give you 10kmpl with A/C on all the time.
I have not really checked with the A/C off, weather being hot in chennai.
On the highways, Fusion gives you a scare. You look keep looking for the tank to empty after the half way mark but it takes its own sweet time.

I constantly get 16kmpl and more.

I think it is more to the the engine refinement and injection systems
and a clever power mapping. In the sense, the Max torque/power mapped to higher revs..
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 09:49   #66
Team-BHP Support

When will Ford update their website with Fiesta, even now it only has the teasers and not a single bit of useful information.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 10:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
When will Ford update their website with Fiesta, even now it only has the teasers and not a single bit of useful information.
Right here http://fordfiesta.in .

BTW, the 1.6 Sxi vs NHC VTEC would be an interesting matchup. Both are high-revving motors, with superb handling too. The Fusion hits 100 under 12 secs, so the Fiesta with better aerodynamics could be even faster. Where's the VTEC review guys ;)
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 10:56   #68
BHPian

did you mean same pickup as indigo ?? .... expected to be better

--- It would be. I am sure as FORD is any time better than TATA's atleast in engines. But i didn't feel any gr8 acceleration in city driving.

did you mean to say it becomes noisy? roughly at what rpm onwards does it happen?
it seems contradictory to your comment on almost zero NVH level, the same is reported by ACI also
--- Well when you rev hard any engine, noise will come (less or more). When you will sit in back seat you wont feel tyre, engine & road traffic noise much. Its very very low

does the manual show torque curve by any chance? (have read some fusion ower's comments on the curve, so hope their manual does have it and the same may be carried forward to fiesta)

---- no it doesn;t show the torque curve.

are you sure about this? looks very much different from specs in the broucher !!
--- will update my comment again...today i dont have it with me
but not for what? missed that important word ??
-- but not for Optra, Honda city or corolla
---What i am feeling Ford does the same thing which MUL does to us. Giving the same old engine with some tweaks & upgraded interior. But i admit, ppl will like this car in 5.5-6.5 L price band not more than that. 7.8 L for fully loded is too much atleast for me.

Last edited by amitabh_kaushal : 23rd November 2005 at 11:03.
amitabh_kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 11:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
But i admit, ppl will like this car in 5.5-6.5 L price band not more than that. 7.8 L for fully loded is too much atleast for me.
At 5.5 - 6.5L would a Baleno or a Lancer with upgraded wheels be a better bet, considering just the performance features of these cars?
They have longer warranty term available and maintenance/spares are economically priced.
I am considering the Fiesta ZX for comparison.

Thnx

Last edited by observer : 23rd November 2005 at 11:35.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh_kaushal
--- Well when you rev hard any engine, noise will come (less or more). When you will sit in back seat you wont feel tyre, engine & road traffic noise much. Its very very low
Agreed... with light foot it seems to be undoubtedly more silent than others in and around its price band. I wanted know whether it maintains or looses this advantage at higher revs... for better comparison we can further classify high revs into- 1. resonably high speed driving (100 +/- 20 kmph, which is usually the case on highways) and 2. pushing it to extreem limits by redlining...
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:05   #71
BHPian

Yes Santosh,

I will try to test it on highway next time :-) if they permit.
amitabh_kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh_kaushal
--- It would be. I am sure as FORD is any time better than TATA's atleast in engines. But i didn't feel any gr8 acceleration in city driving.
Maybe the low end torque isn't that great ... am just guessing ..
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
me too think so... though GTO's review on 1.4 petrol was the other way, he hasn't tried 1.6 yet I guess...

as more and more analysis/facts are comming in, I tend to agree with observer, amitabh regarding price advantage... because none of the 3 variants seem to have much better offerring for baleno,lancer buyers if you consider whole packages.... its more for optra,NCH, accent buyers who should think again
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
as more and more analysis/facts are comming in, I tend to agree with observer, amitabh regarding price advantage... because none of the 3 variants seem to have much better offerring for baleno,lancer buyers if you consider whole packages.... its more for optra,NCH, accent buyers who should think again
And it'll become more so when the do away with the introductory prices and include the 20-30K hikes.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed... with light foot it seems to be undoubtedly more silent than others in and around its price band. I wanted know whether it maintains or looses this advantage at higher revs...
THe NVH characteristics of the engine are pretty good.
The 1.4(as i mentioned earlier) is geared short. So you will do the standard driving in 2.5-3K RPM range. Even At those speeds the engine is silent. I tested the car upto 5K RPM in the 2nd gear and there was no significant increase in the noise. The start of the car is also impressive. Cranking the Engine almost makes no noise.

Quote:
The Low end torque was a disappointment- atleast with the 1.4. BUt maybe i was comparing with the Baleno.
Obviously you can't expect much low end from a 1.4 engine.Don't expect the car to pick up from 30 kmph in the overdrive.

But otherwise the 1.4 feels fast. It revs up nicely. A tab at the throttle send the Rpm needle racing. It feels faster than the 82 horses and 1.4 engine displacement would suggest.

Quote:
What i am feeling Ford does the same thing which MUL does to us. Giving the same old engine with some tweaks & upgraded interior.
I don't think that's the case. The Fiesta rides excellently well.It has a better suspension than the NHC in the same price bracket and whatever Maruti offers in any range.

Quote:
But i admit, ppl will like this car in 5.5-6.5 L price band not more than that. 7.8 L for fully loded is too much atleast for me.
Obviously the Baleno's and the Lancers might be more VFM. But why is 7.8 L for a loaded 1.6 Fiesta expensive when the same money can be coughed up easily for the substantially lesser powered NHC. Especially when the 1.4 is the direct competitor of the NHC and is significantly cheaper.

Last edited by imjimmy : 23rd November 2005 at 13:40.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote