Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th August 2010, 13:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! Bad accident. You got to be ultra careful when you open the door even inside a petrol bunk. Or did he just rip it out even when the door was closed?

If the Civic had EPS I wouldn't have bought it!! It would have been like handling a boat!!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 16:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Pretty bad.
But looking at the damage, the door seem to have been opened while a two wheeler was speeding up and has hit the inside edge of the door? What was the damage to the two wheeler/rider?
Yes, I had barely opened the door a foot or so and then bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
i think civic comes with EPS.
Nopes the Civic comes with a wondering HPS, a dying breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Oh man! Bad accident. You got to be ultra careful when you open the door even inside a petrol bunk. Or did he just rip it out even when the door was closed?

If the Civic had EPS I wouldn't have bought it!! It would have been like handling a boat!!
Seriously, I am now extra careful whenever I am getting in and out of the car.

I had barely opened the door and then this guys comes and rams into it.
Nothing other than a mangled apron on the activa the rider did not hurt himself.

Of course I was heart broken, been driving for ages, never even had a scratch and now this.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 18:33   #18
BHPian

Lightbulb

Congrats on the civic, you got a good deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I was heart broken, been driving for ages,
never even had a scratch and now this.
Sometimes we suffer due to someone else's act! thats life!

I am thinking of buying a per-owned CIVIC AT! i dont know if that makes sense, may be you can share your views!

I travel 45 kms everday and i am done with MT, the new civic is out of my budget, i am looking at a used civic under 12 lacs!

Dont know if that makes sense or shall i look at the City AT! I currently drive a 2007 NHC Vtec!
amitk2kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 19:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post

I am thinking of buying a per-owned CIVIC AT! i dont know if that makes sense, may be you can share your views!

I travel 45 kms everday and i am done with MT, the new civic is out of my budget, i am looking at a used civic under 12 lacs!

Dont know if that makes sense or shall i look at the City AT! I currently drive a 2007 NHC Vtec!
With 12 lacs you can buy almost new Civic (2009/10, around 5000k mileage).
I was tempted to trade my ANHC AT few times for a used Civic AT but resisted it. I would say go for used Civic then a new ANHC
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 00:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post

Thanks, I reckon I paid a lil bit more but considering that the car is in very good shape I am ok with it.

Civic is a very good car and AT would be any day better than MT for city use. But wouldn't you be better off with a diesel?

I get around 10 KPL within the car, AT will surely be less than that.
With that budget I would recommend you to extend a wee bit more and get a new one instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
With 12 lacs you can buy almost new Civic (2009/10, around 5000k mileage).
I was tempted to trade my ANHC AT few times for a used Civic AT but resisted it. I would say go for used Civic then a new ANHC
I agree to, Civic is a definite step up from the City and considering you already drive a NHC VTEC I would suggest a Civic or perhaps even a Altis.

Sorry about adding to your conundrum.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2010, 00:22   #21

Hiren - Beautiful is the word for your Civic!
Awesome deal at 7.4 L.Hope the engine is as pretty as its box.

Also, please try your hand at script writing.. Your 'pictures posted sequence' almost gave me a cardiac arrest (The door damage was horrifying!).There should be a free vaccination with every car purchase to get over such mental misery from these stupid accidents. Did you stab the errant bike rider or just break both his legs ?
Barrichello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 09:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hiren, that was indeed a freak accident. Cant imagine an Activa doing so much damage to the Civic and getting off with just a minor dent himself.

Did he pay for it or you let him off the hook and just went ahead with the insurance?

Btw, had this happened to me. I would never go to showroom. Know some superb artisans in Hyderabad who would have done the same job in 5K or so with same or better finish.

31K is obscene.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 10:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
Hiren - Beautiful is the word for your Civic!
Awesome deal at 7.4 L.Hope the engine is as pretty as its box.

Also, please try your hand at script writing.. Your 'pictures posted sequence' almost gave me a cardiac arrest (The door damage was horrifying!).There should be a free vaccination with every car purchase to get over such mental misery from these stupid accidents. Did you stab the errant bike rider or just break both his legs ?
Oh yeah the engine is in perfect shape. Its even had its share of Honda synthetic oil just before it came to me. BTW, I got the car for 7L dead, the dealer wanted 7.4L though.

Seriously, the damage has planted a seed of doubt in my mind. I am now extra careful while driving in traffic and more importantly while opening doors.
And no, I did not do anything to the errant rider, I was quite peaceful which was very surprising considering the short fuse I have.

Script writing, na not at all. Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hiren, that was indeed a freak accident. Cant imagine an Activa doing so much damage to the Civic and getting off with just a minor dent himself.

Did he pay for it or you let him off the hook and just went ahead with the insurance?

Btw, had this happened to me. I would never go to showroom. Know some superb artisans in Hyderabad who would have done the same job in 5K or so with same or better finish.

31K is obscene.
Mobike, even I could not imagine this, perhaps it could be because the strongest part of the activa hit the weakest spot of my door.

A mechanic at the petrol bunk did try his hand to mend it but seeing his ways I asked him to back off. Basically the chassis of the door was bent beyond repair and I had no other alternative than to replace the darn door.

The door itself costs 17.1K, painting both the doors 9.6K, 1K for the door strip and other taxes push the cost to 31K. But I claimed insurance, I had to shell out 8K.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2010, 13:58   #24
BHPian

31K for a door . Thats expensive. My question is did the new door come with a new power window assembly or was it transferred from the old door.?
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 19:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
31K for a door . Thats expensive. My question is did the new door come with a new power window assembly or was it transferred from the old door.?
You bet it is but then the door is unpainted. As mentioned earlier the door costs 17.1K, they also found some minor scratches on the rear door so they got that too painted. This pushed up the costs.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:22   #26

Why didn't you try exchanging your door with his Activa as a peaceful barter,instead of paying 31k to fix it ? You could have driven your Civic like a DeLorean DMC-12 with open gull-wing doors
Barrichello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 22:51   #27
BHPian

Yeah..but then again you cannot have "un-painted" doors..

P.S- I think you missed out on my question about the power window.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 22:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
You bet it is but then the door is unpainted. As mentioned earlier the door costs 17.1K, they also found some minor scratches on the rear door so they got that too painted. This pushed up the costs.
17.1k for the door, 10k for paint, plus labour and tax would have taken it up to 31k.

Quote:
It must only be the door, power window (switch, glass, actuators etc etc), lock mechanism, door insides and even door beadings are taken off from the old door.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th August 2010 at 23:01.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 00:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah..but then again you cannot have "un-painted" doors..

P.S- I think you missed out on my question about the power window.
Sorry about that Pancham. The power windows and other switches were not replaced at as they were not damaged in the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
17.1k for the door, 10k for paint, plus labour and tax would have taken it up to 31k.

It must only be the door, power window (switch, glass, actuators etc etc), lock mechanism, door insides and even door beadings are taken off from the old door.
You answered his query quite succinctly, thanks Gaurav.