Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st September 2010, 14:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

@althaaf

Congratulations on the new Jetta.

In your review under features you mentioned 'Motion sensors inside the cabin'. What are these for as in what function/device do they initiate/control in the vehicle.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:09   #32
BHPian

Congrats Althaf on your Jetta. It looks elegant in White.

I have not driven the new crdi yet. But I have driven the PDi extensively. Jetta is a very sturdy car. German Engineering at its best. DSG Auto is very nicely mated to the engine. But its not coming now in the Crdi. The only grouse for me about Jetta is I feel its over priced. Guess the preminum is for the brand VW.

The comments about Cruze seating are misleading. It seats 3 comfortably at the rear. As for the engine, lot has been said on this forum. This 150BHP is leagues ahead of the segment it has been slotted in.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Jetta is a 2.0tdi Crdi engine, which is normally tuned to 140bhp and 320nm but in this case it is 110bhp and 250nm. The same engine is in the Skoda Laura and Superb, it was in the Passat too, and it is available in the Audi A4 also.
My mistake. Thanks for correcting
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:32   #34
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase althaaf and i wish you miles and miles of driving pleasure. You cant go wrong with jetta, its built like a tank and handles really well.

Cruze definitely doesn't have the best rear seat comfort and space but it isn't bad either. Though i agree it should have been better but still its way better then santro or other hatchback. Infact the rear seat is comparable to laura and better then octavia. Jetta definitely has more leg room at the back but knee room is identical.
Also 3500 rpms seems to be a mistype i guess!
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on bringing the German guy home. You've got one hell of a machine.

I feel sorry for the one we have are minus of all the features stated above with PD Engine.

Pls follow the run-in period carefully and don't rev more than 2500rpm for the first 1500 - 2000kms

We had faced the problem of oil level going down and had a alarm glowing after running more than 10k kms. This is not due to any leaks etc. 15k kms is just a market trick, doesn't suit our Indian conditions.
Pls carry a liter of Eng oil at the boot, may come handy and just top it up.
Hope this doesn't occur in the new Crde eng. This happens with PD eng.

All the best. Have some fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The rear lights are similar to the Passat one can get confused from the rear looks.
Passat has the Reg plate at the rear bumper and Jetta have them on the boot. Only way to identify between both.

Love the bangle type LEDs on both of these vehicles. Nicely tucked into a single ring(Fog,Indicator,Lamps/Brake).

Last edited by Ramsagar : 1st September 2010 at 14:43.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:07   #36
BHPian

Congrats on new your car atthaaf it looks great ! btw i have similar view regarding the rear seats of cruze, my friend is 6'1 nd m 5'10 whenever he drives its almost impossible to sit behind him it get too cramped. But everone has a different driving postion so this might be the reason of getting a mixed review on the back seat of cruze

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st September 2010 at 15:48. Reason: Please use proper punctuation and type in full english instead of SMS language. Thanks
moose56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 17:29   #37
BHPian

Congratulations Altaafh you have bought yourself a beauty.
As I own the cruze I agree with you on some points and totally disagree on quite a few.
I agree that Jetta is much better engineered car but then it comes at a price of about 1.5lakhs more than the cruze and an engine which produces 40PS less so on this front the Cruze is better as per commonsense, now coming to your question of turbo lag.
I have never driven a diesel manual and after the updated jetta 2.0l was launched I went for its test drive and stalled it a couple of times as it did not downshift appropriately as I have driven a lot of manual cars from this segment but all petrol so I was not used to downshifting that much,hence I feel for a person who is shifting to a diesel manual for the 1st time,he will initially find a bit difficult to keep it in the power band 24*7,the cruze at its launch was criticized by all for the turbo lag it had but after a few batches GM retuned the cruze's and the problem has been rectified upto quite an extent and max turbo comes in at about 2700rpm and it starts pulling well from 1400rpm aswell. Coming to the Jetta ,it has only 250NM of torque as compared to Cruze's 330NM of torque but as it is available a little earlier at 2400rpm there is lesser lag.You say that in your car turbo kicks in at 1300rpm itself,it starts pulling well as you start nearing the max turbo point and you enter turbo range is entered and hence you feel that max turbo has kicked in.
Please have a look at my thread , in my selection process I have not been biased at all and have praised each car for what it posses it best.
As far as the question of downshifting to 3rd everytime you overtake on a highway is concerned is a bad point according to me but I cannot comment if this has been rectified after the retuning even though it would have been best had the given a six speed manual with better gear ratios.
I have the automatic variant so cannot comment on this.
Please try and explain to me how have you compared santro's interior space to the Cruze for God sake, the jetta has more headroom in the rear but legroom wise cruze is better both according to the figures and my personal experience.
Congrats again
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 22:40   #38
BHPian

Replying to all angry cruze supporters:

First of all sorry if i hurt anybodies feelings and beliefs. Am not an intellect in matters regarding cars and their specs. i just love driving, need lot of comfort, lot of feel and know very little compared to all of you. whatever info i have is all from team bhp. thanks team bhp.
now regarding the matters in my review regarding cruze, its all views of a normal non technical guy. everything is what i felt. sorry if they are wrong and thanks for pointing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Congrats Althaf on your Jetta. It looks elegant in White.

I have not driven the new crdi yet. But I have driven the PDi extensively. Jetta is a very sturdy car. German Engineering at its best. DSG Auto is very nicely mated to the engine. But its not coming now in the Crdi. The only grouse for me about Jetta is I feel its over priced. Guess the preminum is for the brand VW.

The comments about Cruze seating are misleading. It seats 3 comfortably at the rear. As for the engine, lot has been said on this forum. This 150BHP is leagues ahead of the segment it has been slotted in.
i agree to the 150 bhp thing, but as i told am no expert and i evaluated is my td feel, but its true that i felt jetta more powerfull compared to cruze dont know if it was cos i tested cruze automatic and jetta manual. please correct me, if am wrong. and once again sorry if you still think am misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Congrats on your purchase althaaf and i wish you miles and miles of driving pleasure. You cant go wrong with jetta, its built like a tank and handles really well.

Cruze definitely doesn't have the best rear seat comfort and space but it isn't bad either. Though i agree it should have been better but still its way better then santro or other hatchback. Infact the rear seat is comparable to laura and better then octavia. Jetta definitely has more leg room at the back but knee room is identical.
Also 3500 rpms seems to be a mistype i guess!
again as i told, its purely based on my experiences. i didt mean santro to compare, all i mean is that the driving seat and its position was not to my comfort. i really found it easy when seated in a santros driving seat. may be cos the santro seats are higher than cruze, so in cruze i was forced to push the seat further back wards. again, i dont go by specs and values, i evaluate by my experience, comfort and feel. sorry if am wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
Congrats on new your car atthaaf it looks great ! btw i have similar view regarding the rear seats of cruze, my friend is 6'1 nd m 5'10 whenever he drives its almost impossible to sit behind him it get too cramped. But everone has a different driving postion so this might be the reason of getting a mixed review on the back seat of cruze
i think we both faced the same problem. friends please note my review is based purely on my experience alone. as moose56 told, things might be different for different people with different height and seating posture or position

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Congratulations Altaafh you have bought yourself a beauty.
As I own the cruze I agree with you on some points and totally disagree on quite a few.
I agree that Jetta is much better engineered car but then it comes at a price of about 1.5lakhs more than the cruze and an engine which produces 40PS less so on this front the Cruze is better as per commonsense, now coming to your question of turbo lag.
I have never driven a diesel manual and after the updated jetta 2.0l was launched I went for its test drive and stalled it a couple of times as it did not downshift appropriately as I have driven a lot of manual cars from this segment but all petrol so I was not used to downshifting that much,hence I feel for a person who is shifting to a diesel manual for the 1st time,he will initially find a bit difficult to keep it in the power band 24*7,the cruze at its launch was criticized by all for the turbo lag it had but after a few batches GM retuned the cruze's and the problem has been rectified upto quite an extent and max turbo comes in at about 2700rpm and it starts pulling well from 1400rpm aswell. Coming to the Jetta ,it has only 250NM of torque as compared to Cruze's 330NM of torque but as it is available a little earlier at 2400rpm there is lesser lag.You say that in your car turbo kicks in at 1300rpm itself,it starts pulling well as you start nearing the max turbo point and you enter turbo range is entered and hence you feel that max turbo has kicked in.
Please have a look at my thread , in my selection process I have not been biased at all and have praised each car for what it posses it best.
As far as the question of downshifting to 3rd everytime you overtake on a highway is concerned is a bad point according to me but I cannot comment if this has been rectified after the retuning even though it would have been best had the given a six speed manual with better gear ratios.
I have the automatic variant so cannot comment on this.
Please try and explain to me how have you compared santro's interior space to the Cruze for God sake, the jetta has more headroom in the rear but legroom wise cruze is better both according to the figures and my personal experience.
Congrats again
i totally agree to your points. cruze is a very good car in that price range, infact its the best. but as told above i really didt find the bhp and torque values really playing its role. i was not satisfied with the drivablity offered by the car(again my personal feel) and about getting biased, as you can see its a story of my car buying experience more than a review. i told in the starting that my budget was around 15 laks and i was totally biased for cruze. in fact i was against jetta untill i took test drive of both. jetta really impressed me from top to bottom and cruze disappointed me from starting itself. i was not at all comfortably seated in the front or in the back seat, i wouldt be buying a car paying 15 lak where i wont be seated comfortably. andabout santros interior space, i mean it in sarcastic way. but if am paying less than 4 lak to get that space, headroom etc in a santro, i would expect atleast 2 times better comfortable seating in front and back of a 14.64 lak car. this is the only reason y i introduced santro in comparison. please not its not face to face comparison with a 14.64 lak car and a car less than 4 lak.
one more thing, if we are to go by bhp and torque values, why is the heavier jetta with lesser bhp to a great margin, torque up to a great margin, dont feel sluggish at all? may be 0-100 might differ by few seconds(am not sure). this is the reason y i told, i went completely by the feel and drivablity. sorry if am wrong somewhere. you really wont feel that 40 horses are missing under jettas hood. so once again, its not values i checked.
please correct me, am technically backward, may be cos am a doctor and my profession dont have much exposure to maths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Firstly, congrats on your decision to go ahead with Jetta after your initial confusion with Cruze

I must say your feedback is pretty misleading. I have owned a Santro myself for close to 4 years and i am surprised your comparing the interior space of Cruze with Santro. And, i am 6ft. 1inch myself so my feedback cannot be radically different from yours when we are talking about interior space?

When the driver seat is pushed back with me in a comfortable position, a 5.10inch guy can easily sit behind me.

There is turbolag for sure and tell me which diesel car does not have it? but, if you stay in the right gear, this problem is non-existent. Altis D is really bad in that case and that too with 87 BHP to talk about.

I am glad that you have decided on a Jetta because of its lower turbolag ( not driven one, so cannot compare) and for better interior plastics/chrome not to mention you finding a 110bhp more powerful than a 150bhp one

Is this a typo?????????

My Cruze starts pulling from 1300RPM and its peak torque is at 2600rpm. At 3500rpm, you can almost feel the lesser equivalent of G-forces in a Cruze so looks like either you were completely biased or dont have any knowledge about RPM's and equivalent speed.

Finally, it would be much appreciated if you dont make such sweeping statements so as not to mislead others.
yes friend, its completely cos i dont have enough knowledge abt rpm and equivalent speed. and i told about 3500 cos when i took td, i felt turbo lag and asked my executive and he told turbo lag is because it kicks in at 3500. sorry to have mislead people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I agree to the above. Having sat in the rear seat of Cruze with the front seat fully pushed back, it was not uncomfortable at all. And 3 people at the back seat were also comfortably seated.

Again I have to say that I agree to the above as Cruze is definitely a rocket. The initial batches had turbo kicking in at ~1800 RPM so that used to be problem in the traffic but with the present gen ones, the turbo kicking in is very seamless and the car just glides through the speeds.

Plus I think the Jetta CRDI is a 1.6 Litre engine ( Same as the one powering the Polo / Vento) whereas the Cruze has a 2 Litre heart same as the Captiva.

Not to put down any brand as such but the Cruze engine in one word is just "Amazing" !
if am right jetta also has a 2 ltr engine (crdi) correct me if wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
The interior space comments about Cruze is misleading. The car is very spacious and i have not felt any problems.I have even had 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) sit comfortably in the back.

turbo lag till 3500 is absolutely wrong! Whenever i drive Cruze, the turbo kicks in at 1300 to 1400rpm. But its negligable when you driive in highways. And with regrad to overtaking, its a breeze! I have noticed me touching 110 without the rpm needle touching '2'!

I think Cruze deserves more good opinion for its performance than what was mentioned in this post
again feel of interior space is entirely personal experience. a car which is spacious for a 5ft 6inch guy may not be spacious for 6ft guy.(please am not pointing ur or my height, just part of explanation). even if its between 2 same height guys, it depends on how they sit and adjust the seats. hope i made my point clear.
please note that am not an efficient reviewer and this is my first and sincere effort to post my experience on deciding between cruze and jetta. all people may not have the same feel as me. so my apology if somebody felt my story misleading.
ps: this my car shopping story more than a review

thanks team bhp gurus
althaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 23:46   #39
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Running in period

Please note that the engine alone does not make up the moving parts of the car. The dealer might talk about a fully factory run in engine or one with super close tolerances during manufacturing but he does not take into consideration the other parts of the car especially the gear box and tyres and wheel bearings and not to forget the turbo.
The Cruze dealer too told me not to worry about running in but I can say with confidence the running in period of the cruze is about 8000km to 8500km. Its only after 8200km that the cruze becomes silent enough that the turbo whistle can be heard over the engine noise with the windows rolled down from 1300rpm to about 1800rpm. Its real addictive that I drive in that rpm range these days with the windows rolled down most of the time. Its cool in Cochin these days. In addition the snatchy clutch disappears only after about 700kms of running in. We are three doctors with the Cruze in our work place and all the cars have bedded in only after about 8000km.

The Palio dealer too mentioned no running in period for the GTX but I confronted him with the owners manual which mentioned it as 5000km to which he only had a sheepish grin.

Which ever be your car go slow on it for the first 1000km and then slow stretch its legs over a 5000 to 10000km.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 1st September 2010 at 23:57.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:55   #40
BHPian

Congrats Althaf on your Jetta, Wish you have a really awesome time driving the german marvel.

I would like clarify a few things which you have mentioned in your thread regarding Cruze. I have a Cruze LTZ MT as well as a Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Getz

Quote:
turbo kicked in at around 1400 compared to 3500 or some thing in cruze
This is way too wrong buddy, the turbo in my car kicks in by 1400rpm itself... i really hope it was typo

Quote:
touch screen music system sound quality is excelent(single line display in cruze, no ts)
Was the cruze which you Test drove an LT one?, because mine came with a bigger display (much bigger than a single line) . No touch screen, that is true.

Quote:
inside its damn small. i found my old santro much more comfortable and spacious from driver seat
Definitely a wrong perception dude.We have 2 Hyundais at home, both are much bigger and comfortable than a santro; the Cruze has lots more space than any of those Hyundai cars and its very comfortable inside.
sharathnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:26   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the Jetta, Althaaf. Nice review & pictures, thanks for sharing.

While a comparison with the Santro is certainly out of line, I wouldn't say that the Cruze' backseat is spacious either. Its way too upright (Chevy state they did this to increase space) and cabin space is noticeably lesser than the Japs from the segment. The Cruze is best for self-driven owners, and a poor choice for the chauffeur-driven.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:56   #42
BHPian

congrats althaaf!. The Jetta is a wonderful car and I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

When we had bought the jetta i experienced certain vibrations in the clutch pedal when it was depressed and so ask the dealer about it. He said its a feature to remind the driver that the clutch is depressed and so that the clutch plate does not get worn out.
After about 2000km the vibrations are not there. But I am not sure whether the dealer was talking nonsense or not.
Have you experienced the same with your car?
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Come-on guys chill. Every car has ifs and butts. My perception on the same.

Cruze:Self-driven
Altis:Chauffeur driven
Jetta: Both
Laura: Both but A.S.S sucks

Pls feel free to comment on these. I may be wrong.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 3rd September 2010 at 13:26.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:07   #44
BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta. A very good decision indeed. Jetta is a very well built car. Enjoy your car and drive safely. You got it from EVM?
over.drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 23:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
congrats althaaf!. The Jetta is a wonderful car and I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

When we had bought the jetta i experienced certain vibrations in the clutch pedal when it was depressed and so ask the dealer about it. He said its a feature to remind the driver that the clutch is depressed and so that the clutch plate does not get worn out.
After about 2000km the vibrations are not there. But I am not sure whether the dealer was talking nonsense or not.
Have you experienced the same with your car?
I also noticed the same when i took test drive of jetta which has on oddo some 9k. The dealer gave the same explanation, that its to remind the driver. The same vibration is there in the new jetta also. Since i felt it in td vehicle also and the dealers are all telling the same thing, i would suggest you to take your car to VW service as vibration disappeared after 2k. May be both our dealers are fooling us!
althaaf is offline   Reply With Quote