Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th September 2010, 21:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
I just came back from office 20 kms and took 2 hours with most B2B traffic. I keep AC on always. After I reached home when I was about to put the cover I felt the heat 1 feet away from bonnet. The right side when touched is relatively hotter than santro which I had. Many say it would ease away after running period. Dunno what to do and if this is normal. The coolant is not Max level but just above Min. I tried checking it again due to level inclination was not perfect. Will check in morning at flat road. Does the collant level be at Max level?

Nowwhat? Could your let me know what you felt on the heat part. This heat is almost same even on short runs of 3-4 kms as well.
Well, if you are comparing the heat emanating from your Santro, then I have a similar experience with my Fiesta 1.6----I always felt it was much hotter when I stand near the engine after a drive, when compared to my WagonR. I have got used to it now as other petrol Fiesta owners reported similar findings.

I remember reading somewhere in the manual that cautions drivers from parking over dried leaves as there is a chance of the leaves getting ignited.

So I guess you need not worry on this score.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 00:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Nowwhat? Could your let me know what you felt on the heat part. This heat is almost same even on short runs of 3-4 kms as well.

btw where can I check the engine temp??
There is no under bonnet insulation in the petrol Polos. The radiator fan forces cool fresh air into the engine bay, which extracts the engine heat and passes mostly through under body. However some goes upwards and heats up the bonnet. This causes the bonnet to heat up a bit. I checked with the VW workshop guys and they said nothing to worry. There is no chance of any paint damage. I think the bonnet will not overheat as it being a large metal sheet, will dissipate heat fast enough.

Unfortunately there is no temp gauge in Polo. But there is an overheating warning light on the MID.
Quote:
Relief at the end. Got the exterior beutification by 3M done and happy to say no scrathes and no ribom marks now. With the wet look now it even better now. I think its a lesson for al to take off the ribbon as soon as possible.
Relief at last. Great. Post some pics after the ext treatment.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 11:45   #48
BHPian

Finally, Here are the pics after 3M exterior beutification.
Attached Thumbnails
Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02657.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02658.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02659.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02660.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02661.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02662.jpg  

Another "Made in ZA" motor lands in Bangalore - VW Polo 1.6-dsc02663.jpg  

kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Wow! Your P1.6 shines like a mirror in sun. Did you get teflon coating? What all did they do?
Old 11th September 2010, 22:29   #50
BHPian

It was 3M exterior beutification treatment. charged 1350 and its worth it.

Pics dont do much justice as you know. Otherwise its even better in night

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Wow! Your P1.6 shines like a mirror in sun. Did you get teflon coating? What all did they do?
Old 12th September 2010, 00:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Congrats Kiran! Excellent choice!

Generally 2nd & 3rd gear ratios are designed to maximize FE - Since these gears are used the most, in City.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 00:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
It was 3M exterior beutification treatment. charged 1350 and its worth it.

Pics dont do much justice as you know. Otherwise its even better in night
Hi Kiran,

Did they come over and do it? I would also like to get mine done.

Your 1.6 is gleaming now!

nowwhat?
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Kiran,

Did they come over and do it? I would also like to get mine done.

Your 1.6 is gleaming now!

nowwhat?

Nope, I took it to their workshop at Dasarahali, Its of Palace Volwswagen. Neat job.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:24   #54
BHPian

Congrats Kiran, the car looks fantastic. Ive booked the same (red 1.6) with the same dealer, not sure when i can lay my hands on it. You've mentioned it took you 40 days for delivery (amazing). Do you mean to say that I need to get on their case to ensure a faster delivery, or did you pull some other strings ?
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 09:13   #55
BHPian

Yep, Had to give pressure saying will book some other car and give the refund of the booking amt

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
Congrats Kiran, the car looks fantastic. Ive booked the same (red 1.6) with the same dealer, not sure when i can lay my hands on it. You've mentioned it took you 40 days for delivery (amazing). Do you mean to say that I need to get on their case to ensure a faster delivery, or did you pull some other strings ?
Old 21st September 2010, 16:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, Had to give pressure saying will book some other car and give the refund of the booking amt
Ok Kiran, I get it.
Just realised that the owner plays squash at the same club i do, so maybe i'll play a game with him, and (let him win). Once the feel good factor sets in, I'll jump on him
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 07:17   #57
BHPian

Does any other 1.6 owners feel that the engine gets better after run in. I still feel that sometimes in 2 and or 3 gear it takes bit longer to get the engine rev to a happy mode. Have a feeling that downshift is frequent when u realize its not enough to overtake after u slow down and try to pass on the same gear.
Or is it that I was used to Santro which has a peppy engine, even though it screams the distance covered is not that great.
Old 24th September 2010, 21:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Does any other 1.6 owners feel that the engine gets better after run in. I still feel that sometimes in 2 and or 3 gear it takes bit longer to get the engine rev to a happy mode. Have a feeling that downshift is frequent when u realize its not enough to overtake after u slow down and try to pass on the same gear.
Or is it that I was used to Santro which has a peppy engine, even though it screams the distance covered is not that great.
Kiran,
Santro being a light car (approx 700 kg) and a decent engine has a pretty good power to weigt ratio and is a pleasure to drive at city speeds. In gear acceeration is also pretty good in santro. The Polo 1.6 also has very good in gear acceleration but the speed and gear relationship is different than santro. Possibly that is why you are feeling the difference. I had the same feeling when I switched from Alto to Swift. But from Swift to Polo I think the 1.6 has a better in gear acceeration than Swift.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:25   #59
BHPian

Agree sadnabrina, Its like u dont feel it but dont realize that it has reached a good amount of speed. Loving it more day by day
Old 27th September 2010, 14:03   #60
BHPian

Apologies for going a bit off-topic here. I called up VW downtown to check on my 1.6 delivery (booked in Aug) to my horrow this time the reply was

Sales mgr: "Sir, the production of the 1.6 will start in Oct"
Me: "But i believe that you have already sold a few 1.6's"
Sales mgr: "Yer sir, 3"
Me: "How did that happen if the production had not started?"
Sales mgr: silence
Me: "When will i get delivery?"
Sales mgr: "Sir, November"

... and i froze. I cant figure this out if they have not started production till now then what did they deliver to you guys who are zipping around in them. I then called another VW dealer (name censored), to my amazement he said that VW ran trial batches of 1.6 production which were sold to customers . Gods knows who is speaking the truth and who isn't.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote