Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th September 2010, 23:05   #31
BHPian

Congrats nowwhat? (interesting name) for the 1.6 POLO. Definitely an enthusiast choice. It has certainly garnered all the attention at T-BHP.
Waiting to hear more about your experience...
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 23:30   #32
BHPian

Default Congratulations!

Hey nowwhat?, Congratulations.
Just noticed your thread. 11 kmpl is great going. Are you using regular petrol or any other variety?
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 23:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Congratulations Nowwhat. The silver colours looks good too. Its good to see you start your own thread.

May be now you would receive so many queries and you`ll ask your wife each and every question, one day she might get fed up and hand over the keys to you to drive and make your own judgement rather than come up with a bunch of queries every day
Thanks, AvonA7!

I didn't start this thread. I had posted on Chethan B. G.'s thread before I was uprooted.

I am definitely going to drive the car this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Congratsss nowwaht? Silver looks awesome. TBH red is feminine color and I am using it. And silver really suits everyone. After seeing all the ads and VW websites around the world I thought red is sporty and made the choice. I dont regret it

Agree blue color also looks very good. But as "fuel addict" pointed out I dont think any color is bad on polo.
Thanks, kiran1103!

I got tired of the black on my Esteem. Every scratch was clear, every imperfection was visible and nothing except painting that panel would get rid of it fully.

Moreover my Merc in the US was the same silver. I feel as if I got it back!

I second you on the choice of colours. I feel all of them are good. The only colour I have some doubt about is the dark blue on the Vento, but I will reserve my thoughts on that until I see it in the flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Congrats Nowwhat!! Your powerful Silver hatch is looking awesome..
Do you have anything planned to take her for a long drive to test the beast inside? i am not sure if you can do it in b'lore stop go traffic but you can take her to Nice road for sure..
Vish
Vish, Thanks!

Planning to take the 1.6 on Old Madras Road or maybe the Elevated highway on Hosur Road. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax176 View Post
Congrats Nowwhat! Your car looks awesome!

Cant wait to get my hands on my 1.6. Its going to be a long wait to this month end.

Meanwhile, i wish you jump in the driving seat and give us a detailed account of the engine performance.
shadowfax176, Hope you get yours soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congratulations!!

Ideally during the first 1000 Kms, limit the 1st gear to 2000 RPM, 2nd gear to 2500 RPM, 3rd gear to 3000 RPM, and 4th gear to 4000 RPM. 5th can even go on further until 4500 RPM. This will ensure that we utilise only 75% of the engine speed as recommended in the Polo user manual.
Thanks, Chethan! Your feedback on matters, some very trivial, helped me a lot.

Will keep your advice on the gears in mind.

By the way, I only found out now that the outside rear view mirrors (ORVMs) on the Polo are fixed and don't move if hit in either direction. I can already see the replacement bills for the ORVM in Bangalore traffic. I plan to go through your spare parts price list to find out how much they cost.

So are you coming over this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Every time i see that engine pic with 1.6 and VW badge posted by nowwhat?, my mouth starts to viciously salivate and my hand involuntarily reaches out for my mobile to call VW Downtown... 'Where is my car'? But then i hold myself, its been just 3 weeks since i booked... my brain tries to pacify my heart 'No pain, no gain' and i succumb!
luky_13: Poetically put! I feel privileged.

Pls do call VW Downtown. I just found out after doing the VIN decoding through Wildon (Thanks, Wildon!) that my 1.6 was sitting in the Chakan plant for 2 weeks (from 9th to 23rd August).

My personal experience is that depending on the SE at VW Downtown, its better to make more calls than less. Towards the end, I was calling up 20 times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
Was about to post a query to you, nowwhat? - and then I saw this thread. Yay.. congratulations mate. You and wifey have certainly got a hot hot hatch. Looks great in silver. Was my colour of choice too, till I got an 'available' black from the dealer!

You have uploaded the very similar MID pic as on my thread... and with the MID cover on. We seem to be starting a trend here

Congratulations again to you and wifey.. many many happy miles, and looking forward to continued reviews.
Thanks, Driver2000!

All of us seem to have become a family by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the hot hatch VW Polo 1.6. Nice color, its very elegant without being flamboyant.

Enjoy many more miles with the POLO. Drive safe
nkrishnap, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Excellent narration! Waiting for the rest of the facts!!

Any reason for not considering TATA-Safari?
I was wondering if anybody would read such a rambling narrative. But your feedback has spurred me to ramble some more!

By the way if you are wondering why I am not posting in other threads, it's because I have been doing a lot of typing lately.

Tata Safari: Hmmm. I thought it may have been a little too big and moreover one of my relatives had one a few years ago, he said he wouldn't buy one again. Anyway as you can see, our buying process wasn't exactly scientific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats nowwhat? (interesting name) for the 1.6 POLO. Definitely an enthusiast choice. It has certainly garnered all the attention at T-BHP.
Waiting to hear more about your experience...
Thanks, Utopian! I really, really like this car. My brother-in-law just asked me today why don't I keep the Esteem and sell off my 800. I said no way, I would rather buy the Vento diesel instead! That will be some combo.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 6th September 2010 at 23:57.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 00:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
By the way, I only found out now that the outside rear view mirrors (ORVMs) on the Polo are fixed and don't move if hit in either direction. I can already see the replacement bills for the ORVM in Bangalore traffic. I plan to go through your spare parts price list to find out how much they cost.
No that is not correct. The mirrors does fold in both directions. It is tight though.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 00:08   #35
BHPian

Default Bangalore Polo 1.6 pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Congratulations! The car looks hot.

How much it cost on road in bangalore. VW site doesn't show the price for 1.6.

CLJ
Here's the breakup:

Cost of car: 5,47,555
Karnataka VAT: 73,920
TOTAL (Ex-showroom): 6,21,476 (rounding error of Re 1 in official price list!)

Insurance: 25,298
Karnataka Road Tax & Dealer Handling fees: 1,01,708

TOTAL (On-road): 7,48,482

MINUS
Corporate Discount: 10,000
50% NCB Transfer on Insurance: 11,202

MY PRICE: 7,27,280.
Old 7th September 2010, 00:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hey nowwhat?, Congratulations.
Just noticed your thread. 11 kmpl is great going. Are you using regular petrol or any other variety?
Thanks, sadnabrina! When you started your thread, I was actually in two minds whether to go for the 1.6 as I had just read GTO's report on the Vento petrol. Your thread helped me stay firm on our decision.

I am using regular petrol. I have heard all sorts of stories here on Team-BHP about the premium petrol.

Just saw in the manual that VW provides fuel additives. Wouldn't mind putting that if it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
No that is not correct. The mirrors does fold in both directions. It is tight though.
You mean if I push it hard, it won't break but will fold? I need to try that then. I nudged the mirror quite a few times but with no effect.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 7th September 2010 at 00:17.
Old 7th September 2010, 00:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hearty Congratulations to both of you.Indeed 1.6 Polo is the hottest hatch and will give great driving pleasure.Happy and Safe Motoring !!!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 00:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting write up of how you came to choose the 1.6!Quite a stepdown from an innova.
I think the polo will also give long hours mile-crunching ability on the highway as you had envisioned with the innova.Also MID displays have said to be bit off the mark so a tank to tank would give you better idea of FE.
Oh btw has your wife seen this response from tbpians to your/her Polo?
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 08:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Oh my, the road tax and dealer handling charges are the killer here!!
While going though your post, for a moment I could not see anything else. My eyes were stuck on 5.27!!
Slowly as I read through, I got normal again!

Polo looks 'matured' in silver. Look at a red one and you expect it to fool around, almost like an over enthusiastic kid , this one looks like finesse personified!
I like both though! (ok, red 1.6 owners don't flame me! )

PS: De-badge the rear and you have a sleeper in your hands!!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 08:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Thanks, Chethan! Your feedback on matters, some very trivial, helped me a lot.

Will keep your advice on the gears in mind.

So are you coming over this weekend?
Good to know that my feedback helped - Even though they were trivial!

ORVMs are definitely fold-able. It can be moved in both directions.

This week end is Gowri/Ganesha. Will PM you on Sunday morning, if we can make it. But will definitely make it next week end.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 09:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your POLO 1.6 Nowwhat.

You post about the pre-decision has got me all excited bro and now I'm kinda glued to this thread!! Awaiting further Narration!!
Also, would love to meet the "POLO BOYS" in person this weekend if the plans materialize. Please keep me posted on the same.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 10:35   #42
BHPian

Default II. The visit to the dealer

Quote:
Previous post in this series is here.
I spent Friday night reading GTO's Polo review word-by-word. I also went through the other ownership reviews here on Team-BHP. The only negative I could see was in terms of refinement (noise & vibration) of the 1.2 engine which I knew would be alleviated somewhat in the 1.6.

Next day morning we trundled all the way to Volkswagen Downtown Bangalore. VW Hosur Road may have been the nearest dealer but in the convoluted Bangalore scheme of things, we "felt" that Magrath Road was nearer.

Reached the showroom and feel that there is a village fair on. People had come with their entire families including grandparents and children. Others had come with their room-mates. Someone was handing out balloons to the children. People were yanking at the handles and opening and closing the hatch multiple times to check out the quality. I too tried all these and quickly got tired.

Sales executives (SEs) were moving from prospect to prospect the same way Vishwanathan Anand plays rapid chess with multiple competitors. I waited for perhaps half an hour and was disappointed by the lack of attention. I suggested to my wife that perhaps we should go. I then asked one of the SEs how Volkswagen would be any different from Skoda in terms of after sales service. That certainly grabbed their attention.

We then went for a test drive. It was a short spin around Saint Patrick's church and we gathered absolutely zero information. All we could make out was that the car could take us from point A to B.

However the feeling that we got when we sat inside the display car had already convinced us to buy the car. The quality is not something I ordinarily see in India. And it cost less than 10 lakhs! The Polo brought back memories of my Merc in the US which I had tried hard to bring to India. My Merc had a similar key and the same strange German light switch.

After the test drive, I went through the variants with the SE. The Highline was already decided, but I thought I should save money on fuel and buy the diesel with its 20+ fuel economy. Alas the SE points out that with our running of only 7,000 kms a year it wouldn't make sense.

I then asked the SE about the 1.6 petrol. He said it would be launched only after the Vento with deliveries starting maybe in October. So decided on the 1.2 Petrol Highline. Asked for discounts as I always do everywhere and he says they don't even give free mud-flaps.

Then what about the corporate discount? He asks for the name of my wife's employer and says we can't get that either as her employer is not registered with VW.

OK what about the Insurance NCB? He says you have to take their insurance as only then can you get a cashless claim. Who is the vendor? He says Bajaj Allianz. I say they are my insurer too, so I definitely want to transfer my NCB. While we were having our fracas, a senior person at VW Downtown walks by and he says I can definitely take my NCB discount as is my right.

However I was still sore about missing out on the 10K corporate discount. On Sunday I tell my wife that she should try and get her employer to tie up with VW. Now it so happens that she is a senior HR person in her organization which incidentally I found out only then was a Fortune 500 company. I quickly collect a few email addresses on Team-BHP and she dashes off an email to the CEO.

On Monday morning to our utter shock she gets a call from the VW Corporate Head Office in Bombay. She is asked to fill up the corporate profile of her employer to avail the corporate discount. In the midst of conversations with various people there, we get the feeling that the Polo 1.6 petrol and the Vento 1.6 diesel are the cars to buy. We asked if we could book the Polo 1.6 petrol right away and when I could expect delivery. He said they were targeting August to start deliveries but it was uncertain. However I could book the 1.6 right away.

I then called up VW Downtown and got the SE to come down and collect the cheque of 50K. The SE says as he had said before that it is better to book the 1.2 and then change the booking to the 1.6. He also says it will take at least four months to deliver the car. By then I am adamant. I tell him to take the money just because I feel like giving it but to make sure he books the 1.6.

At that time, I had zero information about the performance of the car or its fuel economy, the two key factors for me. We only knew that the ex-showroom price would be around 6.16 lakhs.

It was June 29 and thus began the wait.

NEXT: The wait and the delivery.
Old 7th September 2010, 10:38   #43
BHPian

Congrats, POLO 1,6 for wife, what do you drive a POLO 6.1, Enjoy.
krish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 10:56   #44
BHPian

While going through the brochure found the petrol ones have an 'Electric Hydraulic power steering' and the diesel one have 'Electronic power steering'. What is the difference between them?

Which one of them have good response?
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:06   #45
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy!. VW Polo 1.6 certainly is looking hot! I wonder if Maurti will respond to this by introducing 1.6 in SWIFT!
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote