Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th October 2010, 14:30   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I just read through your ordeal with VW.
I think you are being too easy on VW. Though VW is a big company, it is still your money. You have every right as a customer to know what is going on with your car.
If VW does not listen to your suggestions then you have to escalate to the higher ups. If I were in your shoes, a lawyer notice would have been served by this time to VW.
I appreciate VW trying yo resolve your problem. But even after multiple visits if the problem is resolved, I think it is high time for you take further legal actions.

BTW is VW compensating for your drives to Bangalore from Mangalore. I believe that in itself adds up to a substantial amount in fuel costs and not to mention the additional costs.
While agreeing with you on the point that I am being too easy on VW, I would like to mention that it is always a long drawn process when problems of this kind arise between a car manufacturer & a consumer. I have been kept informed by the people at the workshop as to what is happening to my car. They had their limitations and have done their best to help my cause. I will be shortly updating my thread, possibly with some good news. The matter regarding compensating me is being worked out.
uvmallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:44   #107
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
VW is a big company. The customers are normally not allowed into the workshop area. Their personell do not tell the customers as to what has been done to rectify any problem and they do not listen to customers suggestions. So the point of telling them to check the injectors did not arise at all.
...which is why you need to get close someone at the dealership, preferably a Service Advisor. Its the mechanics at the dealership who work on your car, and they will tell the SA what they're working on (and take suggestions from you if they can't solve the issue).

I cannot stress this enough: IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT WORK IS DONE ON YOUR CAR. But it is not going to fall in your lap - you need to push these guys - hard.

Please excuse me if my bluntness troubles you. But I am talking to you from bitter experience. I live in Bangalore, and if you want me to come with you to the dealership and ask these blokes what they're working on, I'll do it.

As far as the injectors go, I had a similar problem in my Diesel Jetta in the US. The culprit was a defective sensor in the injection system.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 17:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

HI UVMallya,
Eagerly awaiting to hear the good news. If they are compensating you with a brand new car, then nothing like it. However they should also compensate for the time & money that you have lost in following up with them.
All the best.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 17:29   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
...which is why you need to get close someone at the dealership, preferably a Service Advisor. Its the mechanics at the dealership who work on your car, and they will tell the SA what they're working on (and take suggestions from you if they can't solve the issue).

I cannot stress this enough: IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT WORK IS DONE ON YOUR CAR. But it is not going to fall in your lap - you need to push these guys - hard.

Please excuse me if my bluntness troubles you. But I am talking to you from bitter experience. I live in Bangalore, and if you want me to come with you to the dealership and ask these blokes what they're working on, I'll do it.

As far as the injectors go, I had a similar problem in my Diesel Jetta in the US. The culprit was a defective sensor in the injection system.
Dear friend, I fully appreciate your views and your bluntness does not trouble me a bit. I was indeed very close to a service advisor at the dealership and he had always told me as to what work was being done on my car. Unfortunately this guy is no longer with them. It appears that everytime I have visited the dealership, I see new faces in the front office, sales executives & workshop staff and I am really surprised at the attrition rate in this dealership. But during this visit the Works Manager was very helpful & the problem with the car has almost been solved. I will update this thread within the next 24 hours giving all information about the progress and result of the rectification job done. And by the way thanks for offering to come with me to the dealership & helping me out with the problem. I think such a situation may not arise now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
HI UVMallya,
Eagerly awaiting to hear the good news. If they are compensating you with a brand new car, then nothing like it. However they should also compensate for the time & money that you have lost in following up with them.
All the best.
Will give the good news hopefully by tomorrow noon. No, at the moment there is no situation wherein I will be compensated with a brand new car. I hope to get the car fully trouble free by tomorrow which is what I expect to have. Regarding compensation for the time and money lost in following up the matter with VW there surely will be some give and take on both sides before coming to a final conclusion. And thanks for your best wishes.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Also, use the "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts. Thanks.

Last edited by Amartya : 21st October 2010 at 20:26. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 minutes.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:35   #110
BHPian

Waiting to hear the news from you.

I hope your problem gets fully solved and best luck to you.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 22:05   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Waiting to hear the news from you.

I hope your problem gets fully solved and best luck to you.
Please wait till tomorrow and I will give a detailed report on what has happened in the last couple of days.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:05   #112
BHPian

Finally my car is back with me since yesterday afternoon and I have been using it in Bangalore city. At the moment the car appears to be free from the problem faced since the day of its delivery to me, and I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the problem will not occur again.
On the 18th morning I left the car at the dealers workshop for the job to be done by VW engineers. I was told by the Area Manager of VW that the job would take about 4 to 5 hours and I could get my car by evening. However to be on the safer side he assured me delivery of the car by the next day (19th). But on the 19th afternoon when I had been to the workshop to check on what is happening to my car I found that nothing was happening and everything was status quo. I was completely baffled at what was going on and also wondered whether my car would be set right at all. And all the while the information passed on to me by the Area Manager of VW was that the job has been done & the vehicle is kept under "Observation". Yes, I did see quite a few people "observing" my car from a distance. By evening I called the higher ups at VW and told them that if my car was not set right by the 20th morning, I will have no other option but to go ahead and start the procedure to claim for a new replacement car from them. You will not believe me if I tell you that the next morning (20th) at 8 a.m. I get a call from the Works Manager of the dealership saying that the problem with my car has been resolved & I can collect it by noon when they would have cleaned/washed it. I have to really appreciate the efforts of Mr.Karthikeyan S. (Works Manager) and his team at Volkswagen Downtown who had toiled the entire night to set right the problem. They have in fact done a job which even the VW engineers failed to do during the time my car was at the workshop on this & the earlier occasion. I can now really enjoy driving my car and sincerely hope that I will not come across this problem again.
I would like to thank all my Team BHP friends & Moderators who had supported & guided me all along with advice in resolving this problem with my car.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:15   #113
BHPian

Congratulations and enjoy the car now. I am wondering if they shared the diagnosis with you. Even if they did not, they sure will know what to do for any other car that has the same problem. All the best.
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that the problem you were facing is resolved forever.
Have a great motoring with your new car.

Did VW compensate for your expenses that involved numerous trips from Mangalore to Bangalore?

Though I appreciate that VW resolved your problem, it shouldn't have taken them this long to rectify it. I admire your patience.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:32   #115
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic, UVM, relief at last. Yes as NevGin said you deserve to know the exact diagnosis & the reason why your car suffered this problem in first place. I sincerely hope that you shoull never ever again face this ordeal throughout your ownership period of the Poli TDi.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:16   #116
BHPian

Smile

@Nevgin - Thanks for the wishes Nevill. I am really thankful to you for the offer of support extended to me in resolving the problem with my car.
@Nevgin & @AutoIndian - The diagnosis & surgery performed on my car by the technicians have not been shared with me. But I have a copy of the Invoice on which the dealer has taken my signature to confirm that the car has been repaired to my satisfaction. Since the car is under warranty the parts replaced have not been charged and even the labour charges free. The replaced parts as per the Invoice are, Turbo Charger and Engine Wiring Harness
@Speedmiester - Thanks a lot for your wishes. I do agree with you that VW has taken a long time to identify and set right the problem of my car. My car had been at their workshop for quite some time before it was finally set right. As far compensating me for the expenses incurred is concerned, VW did offer to reimburse the expenses incurred by me & gave other options as well upon my request. But finally I have opted for a 3 year A.M.C. for the car. I hope I will have no more problems with the car.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:39   #117
BHPian

@uvmallya Congratulations, hopefully now you can drive 'Peace of mind' on 4 wheels. Enjoy your car and i hope that the sheer thrill and enjoyment it delivers dilute all the bitter experiences so far. Best of luck and cheers.

Last edited by luky_13 : 21st October 2010 at 17:43.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:47   #118
BHPian

It`s good to know that the issue is resolved and you are happy driving her. Though the resolution took a l-o-n-g time, finally your patience helped in resolving the matter in the best possible way.

If not monetary compensation for your ordeal, mlr-blr travels, it would have been nice of VW to offer you at least 2 free service or AMC free
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:03   #119
BHPian

Hi uvmallya. First of all congrats for the acquisition and i hope that after all these niggles your car runs fine now.
However i do feel that you've been too soft with both VW as well as the dealer. Such delays and niggles and that too for a brand new car is something which should have never happened. In my opinion VW has shown almost zilch of any customer service, responsiveness as well as compensation for the same.
I sincerely hope that this is the end of problems which you were facing with your car. So much for the patience!
If it occurs again just ask them for the new replacement.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:38   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
@uvmallya Congratulations, hopefully now you can drive 'Peace of mind' on 4 wheels. Enjoy your car and i hope that the sheer thrill and enjoyment it delivers dilute all the bitter experiences so far. Best of luck and cheers.
Thanks a lot friend. Yes, I can now drive "Peace of mind" on 4 wheels. It surely is time to enjoy the car without the fear of breakdown due to any malfunction in the engine. But for this problem it has been an excellent car.
@ AvonA7 - Yes my friend, it did take a long time to get the problem resolved. There could be a few reasons for this according to my humble opinion. Firstly there was no dealership at Mangalore and I had to get the car to Bangalore everytime. Secondly, VW technicians delayed identifying the problem and thirdly the required spare parts were not readily available at the dealers workshop. I have already mentioned earlier as to what is the compensation agreed upon between VW and myself.
@ ashish22 - Thanks for the wishes Pal. I do agree with you that I was soft with the dealership but definetely not with VW. The dealership has certain limitations and have to depend on VW for guidance, spare parts etc. They have supported me to the hilt in resolving the problem with my car. As far as VW is concerned they are very hard to access and will surely have to be more careful in dealing with complaints arising out of After Sales Service. I really consider myself unlucky to have got a car with a complaint when thousands of other VW Polo cars have been sold & delivered in India. Finally as you said - if the problem occurs again (I hope it will not) then it will be nothing less than replacement with a new car.