Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2010, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thanks everyone

I have paid 3.6L with insurance due very shortly. That literally makes it close to 3.7L

Yes, I have booked the Palio 2010 SDX in Dhamaka offer. I really dont know if that would come home. If it does, it will be a really a good head ache to have. While I am waiting for it, I found this beautiful Palio and couldnt resist. My goal was whatever it takes, I want a SDX by mid October. Now, it happened.

If only I had enough parking space, I would have started a mini Fiat museum

Just did around 120kms yesterday. She is lovely. Speeds very effortlessly. Once the fuel gets empty, I would want to check mileage by full tank to full tank method. Showed it to family and friends, everyone just said "WOW", how could this car be so neat? Some got confused thinking its a new one. I wouldnt be driving her too much in the next couple of weeks, then she will spend most of her time on the highways.

I would be installing alloys and suitable new tires and upgrading the music system only if I get a 100% confirmation that the new 2010 Palio SDX will not happen. Until then, nothing. The service also was done just 500 kms ago, need not worry about anything at all for quite some time.

Congrats! I'm very happy for you as a co-palio stile owner! And I'm also extra happy because I paid the same you did but mine had less than 80km on the clock (new basically). How come you paid 3.7L for a tank thats traveled 28k km? I'm a bit confused. But you've got yourself one of the best looking hatches in the country

The engine's an absolute beast too. Enjoy your tank and get her some new tyres and alloys when time/money/feeling permits!
Old 30th September 2010, 17:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

^ Thank you! I envy you. You got a super duper car at a superb price. Its literally a steal. I am happy for you

The prices at Bangalore are generally on higher side, be it new or used. I did not mind paying this amount at all as I found that getting a Stile MJD is NOT AT ALL easy in Bangalore. Either its not well maintained or has a odo reading > 50k. My friends who bought similar used cars 25-36k on odo have paid an average 3.8lacs. Again, its a cue that your car was indeed a steal . My car by very far, is the best maintained one compared to what condition my friends cars were in().

Until I get a written communication from Fiat that the 2010 Palios are off, will not do anything on the car. I intend to have similar alloys, or may be same like yours or H14's and a similar music system setup too. After a year, may be a Pete's too.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:36   #33
h14
BHPian

Quote:
^ My car by very far, is the best maintained one compared to what condition my friends cars were in.
I completely agree with you on that. Your car is in great shape.

Quote:
I intend to have similar alloys, or may be same like yours or H14's and a similar music system setup too. After a year, may be a Pete's too.
If you are considering the petes, do have a look at racechip to. I came to know about racechip just few days back when fellow bhp-ian and PUG'er Makesh called me up. He and another PUG'er in Coimbatore have installed it in their MJD's and he said that it was amazing.

I'm planning to drive his car when I get to Coimbatore and if satisfied, which I guess I might be, then I would also get one. More details are in here:

Chiptuning von RaceChip - Prof. Motor Tuning gnadenlos preiswert

Moreover there is also a thread here where a Swift DDIS has been chip'd.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

@ H14: Thanks a lot! I will check this out. Do you have any plans to install one or would keep it stock all the time.

By the way, I believe warranty issues would arrive if alloys/tires are changed. Whats your take on it? How do the Fiat service personnel consider this?
Old 30th September 2010, 18:55   #35
BHPian

whats the FE, did you calculate ?
Old 30th September 2010, 18:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

I drove only for 120 kms the day I got her. I have been strictly ordered not to use/drive it for a few more days due to some auspicious reasons. I am eagerly waiting for it. The fuel level in the car is reserve. When I get the green signal to use, I will full tank and check the mileage.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:21   #37
BANNED

Thumbs up Fiat - Tank

Hi Karthik. Welcome to Fiat Owners Club. I recently spotted your car in Windsor Manor. Recognized your car by the Fiat 1100 Club sticker.

How reliable are these MJD engines? Do we need to put synthetic oil?
Old 30th September 2010, 20:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Hi Karthik. Welcome to Fiat Owners Club. I recently spotted your car in Windsor Manor. Recognized your car by the Fiat 1100 Club sticker.

How reliable are these MJD engines? Do we need to put synthetic oil?
From what I know and have heard from auto enthusiasts, service technicians, engineers, and the sales guy at the Fiat showroom - NEVER use synthetic oil. Just use the normal MJD engine oil for your palio stile.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:44   #39
BHPian

karthik, Congrats on owning the world's best 1.3l diesel engine, in 2005 the engine was awarded as international engine of the year with the competition of BMW, Audi, volkswagen, merc, porsche, toyota, and honda. and this engine not only exists in fiat cars and also in Lancia Ypsilon, Lancia Delta, Alfa Romeo 147, Alfa Romeo 159, Opel Agila Corsa, opel Meriva, opel Astra, Saab.
Old 1st October 2010, 10:24   #40
h14
BHPian

Quote:
@ H14: Thanks a lot! I will check this out. Do you have any plans to install one or would keep it stock all the time.

By the way, I believe warranty issues would arrive if alloys/tires are changed. Whats your take on it? How do the Fiat service personnel consider this?
I haven't decided upon it as yet. I need to drive Makesh's car and then maybe decide. Will surely keep you updated in due course. I'm not pretty sure on the warranty aspect regarding tyres and wheels.

Anyone here with any experiences in this regard?
Old 1st October 2010, 10:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I haven't decided upon it as yet. I need to drive Makesh's car and then maybe decide. Will surely keep you updated in due course. I'm not pretty sure on the warranty aspect regarding tyres and wheels.

Anyone here with any experiences in this regard?
My guess is anything related to the suspension or any part that could be affected by tires/rims, that aspect of warranty could be deemed void. I am sure, the performance enahancement boxes like the Pete could also void the warranty on the engine.

Are there any negative reviews on the performance enhancement boxes? Will it cause any damage to the engine. I ask this because, why wouldnt manufacturers themselves develop such boxes and give as default if its that easy and simple. Also, how does the Punto/Manza 90 HP work? Can we get the ECU or whatever responsible for 90 HP from Fiat and put it into the Palios?
Old 1st October 2010, 10:59   #42
h14
BHPian

To be frank, even I have the same questions in my mind. But regarding the Punto 90hp, i believe its got to do with the VGT. Do let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:39   #43
BHPian

Long Post ! Sorry !

Tried to explain how the Punto 90HP manages the extra power and why race chips do not come as OEM equipment. I hope i have managed to answer your question from whatever I know. Please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Punto 90HP manages the extra HP from its Variable Geometry Turbo and not just from a ECU remap or tuning change. Turbochargers are a type of forced induction system. They compress the air flowing into the engine with the help of a turbine. The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine squeeze more air into a cylinder, and more air means that more fuel can be added. Therefore, you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder.

The turbine is placed in the exhaust system, and gases travelling out of the engine in the exhaust cycle rotates it. This turbine is connected via a shaft to a pumping/suction system that helps in suction of more air through the air-filter.

The more air sucked in the better performance. But to suck in more air the turbine has to provide more power to the suction system, but that requires arger turbine blades making it heavy. Heavy turbines provide more boost once they start rotating but the start takes more time because of the higher inertia due to the high weight. Such turbos will give a good top end but a huge turbo-lag (resulting in a peaky engine e.g. Getz CRDI)

The turbine has to be ultra light to minimise turbo-lag. But such light weight turbos are not that powerful in driving the suction system and hence they do not offer a great top-end (e.g. Ford Figo).

VGT manages the profile and speed of the turbo by a special airflow system, around the turbuines, through a complex architecture of valves to sort this problem. Also the design and the ceramic material of the turbine blades are different. This does not eliminate this problem but is a good method of some performance enhancement(a few HPs) across a varied range of RPMs. (thus the increased max power - from 75 to 90 HP)
The real solution to this problem is a twin turbo whereby 2 turbos are incorporated, one lightweight to take care of turbo lag and low rpm performance and the other dedicated to top end boost. This system really can boost the BHP of a normally aspirated engine upto an additional 55% or so.

Now coming to your question:
A race chip, ECU remapping does increase the fuel flow to the engine to boost performance. But the air supply to the engine is limited to size and suction capability of your air-filter. Increasing the air-filter might help to a certain degree, but a suction system is crucial for better performance. Otherwise the extra fuel going to the engine would burn in a limited supply of oxygen and the combustion would not be that clean. This may lead to black/grey fume over a long duration and AFAIK will have some impact on the engine life as well. Thus you do not see such OEM equipment.

Incorporating a VGT into your ride will be a very costly and complex activity and perhaps impossible in a workshop environment.

The choice is upto you on whether you want to enjoy the increased performance for 3-5 yrs and then sell it off or whether you want to settle for the current performance for a much longer duration. Anywys, if u think of passing the car on after 3-5 years in stock condition, you will make he next buyer as happy at you were when u got it from the original buyer.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 1st October 2010 at 11:45.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
To be frank, even I have the same questions in my mind. But regarding the Punto 90hp, i believe its got to do with the VGT. Do let me know if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah! Forgot that it is VGT. So the ECU and the entire turbo setup would be different I guess. May not be a feasible idea in terms of costs even if the Palio can support it.

When it comes to performance enhancement boxes, may be new cars guys like you should wait it out. Atleast for 1-2 yrs since it may void warranty. It might be the wisest decision. May be for a car like mine, it should be much more easier decision.

Either ways, the MJD is decently power packed to enjoy without any enhancements. I would put it only if I can be 200% sure that it wouldnt harm the engine in anyways.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:48   #45
h14
BHPian

@SilkDrive, thanks a lot for the detailed information!

@funkykar, I agree with you on the warranty aspect but then my MJD has 4 yrs extended warranty so that means I need to keep the car stock for as long. Either ways, I'm still 50:50 regarding the race chip. I guess I'd rather go in for a KN or green cotton even which I have not decided upon.

Last edited by h14 : 1st October 2010 at 11:56.
Closed Thread