Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th December 2010, 12:11   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT Update After 2nd Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
+1, agree with you on that. Not just when it rains but even when I use the wash feature, its the same. After the auto-sweep cycle has stopped, I wait for about 10 seconds and turn the wiper on for another 1 or 2 strokes to clean the splashed water.
Very true, on complaining similar issue SA made some changes (positioning). This ensured better reachability of blades till the top of the WS but it didn't solve the problem of residue water. As well it was distracting me a lot as wiper's were more visible to me from inside, hence asked them to revert it back to original position.

Quote:
Very true. I observed it on my ANHC this weekend. The driver-side part of the panel around the OSRVM has started to fade showing a dull black color with light patches. I will upload pics during this weekend along-with 1 yr service update.
This as I heard is a common problem, most of the time they apply polish and leave it. In few instances I have heard SA changing them free of cost of the fading is too high. I normally polish them every weekend, may be I should stop doing that and see the level of fading on mine.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 22:34   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT

Quote:
+1, agree with you on that. Not just when it rains but even when I use the wash feature, its the same. After the auto-sweep cycle has stopped, I wait for about 10 seconds and turn the wiper on for another 1 or 2 strokes to clean the splashed water.

Very true. I observed it on my ANHC this weekend. The driver-side part of the panel around the OSRVM has started to fade showing a dull black color with light patches. I will upload pics during this weekend along-with 1 yr service update.
Kalyan,
Thanks for your response.
Waiting to read your first year report and pictures.
Wonder what to do about the poor quality of plastics.
It is rather distracting to use the wiper repeatedly to clear off the remaining water from the windshield.
Will changing the blades do any good, how about bosch blades anyone has tried it?
Who is the OEM for ANHC wiper blade mechanism?

HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@HC: Good that you managed to go to the service station on a week day. I feel one can expect better attention during this time. In my case, every visit has been only on a Saturday thus far, thanks to my work schedule. On the poor quality of plastic, am simply surprised as I dont have this problem on my Civic. Hope I am not speaking too soon ! Did you take this up with the SA ?

OT: Did you get a chance to check out the Polished Metal Civic on display for the blooper ?
rr_zen,
Thanks for following my post.
I had taken off on Monday (27/12) and squeezed the service visit to Olympia.
Furthermore I had called up and had fixed an appointment for service and it did make some difference.
Glad that you do not have the poor quality plastics problem in Civic.
SA response was neither convincing nor satisfying.
I fear that even if I fight and get replacement of the same quality, what is the use?
I am still considering what to do with this issue.
I could not take pictures today as it was cloudy and rainy. Will try to do this tomorrow.
Regarding the blooper, there was a polished metal Civic on display exactly at the same location in the show room, but both the lights were of new design and identical.
I do not know if this is the same car and Olympia has changed after your inspection.
I also went to the stock yard in the 2nd floor and searched for this car, but could not find it.
Or could it be that it is already sold with the defect

HC
Habanero City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 22:39   #63
BHPian

Default Re: Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT Update After 2nd Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Very true, on complaining similar issue SA made some changes (positioning). This ensured better reachability of blades till the top of the WS but it didn't solve the problem of residue water. As well it was distracting me a lot as wiper's were more visible to me from inside, hence asked them to revert it back to original position.

This as I heard is a common problem, most of the time they apply polish and leave it. In few instances I have heard SA changing them free of cost of the fading is too high. I normally polish them every weekend, may be I should stop doing that and see the level of fading on mine.
Raghu,
Thanks for your comments.
I read your first year report, sorry buddy I could not comment immediately as I was traveling.
The report was good and helpful and you sure have munched more miles in 1 year but still Captain Chitnis holds the record as far as ANHC is concerned.
I also saw your detailing arms and ammunitions and look forward to see your car like that of mkh.
Of course you are lucky to have mkh with you for support and help.

HC
Old 29th December 2010, 08:54   #64
BHPian

Hi Raghu and Habanero City,
I would advise you guys to go for a 3M polish for the matte black window and bonnet trims.
My car went for the 3M recoat at Classic Honda, and they applied a 3M polish on the trims. That same polish has done well in the past month, even though my car has been washed twice and has done 500 kms since.My car's window trims showed discoloration and the dealer said that the reason was extremely salty water used for washing.
Believe me you can't even taste the MCD water that comes in Faridabad, its very salty.
To rectify the problem they used alcohol for cleaning the white residue and dressed it with 3M polish. The dull matte black finish was restored and hasn't changed since then.
Honda has a tie up with 3M for paint treatments. Doesn't your Honda dealer use 3M products for all like washing, derusting, lubricating?
zoom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 11:15   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
I would advise you guys to go for a 3M polish for the matte black window and bonnet trims. My car went for the 3M recoat at Classic Honda, and they applied a 3M polish on the trims. That same polish has done well in the past month, even though my car has been washed twice and has done 500 kms since.
This is a stop gap solution. But do let us know how much more longer the shine lasts. Only long term solution would be for Honda to come out with good quality plastic panels.

Quote:
My car's window trims showed discoloration and the dealer said that the reason was extremely salty water used for washing.
For you it was salt water and for us folks in Chennai, dealers reasoning could be anything btw too much heat or hard water or harsh conditions due metro construction.

Quote:
Honda has a tie up with 3M for paint treatments. Doesn't your Honda dealer use 3M products for all like washing, derusting, lubricating?
I really doubt if Olympia uses 3M products for cleaning. HC, can you confirm on this.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 23:26   #66
BHPian

Default Re: Pictures of Discolored Plastics

Finally I could take some pictures in sunlight showing the discoloration of the plastics around OSRV mirrors, wiper blades and the plastic below the wiper blade area.
I think this is an inherent problem and is subtly hidden by Honda/Dealer by applying some polish to match the surrounding plastic color.
None of the theories of Honda/Dealer is convincing on this issue.
I use good quality corporation water for cleaning and does not contain salt.
The car is parked in a covered area 99.99% of the time and is exposed to sun only while driving and parking for short time while shopping.
Finally the car is just 3 months in to very careful use and there is no valid reason for such discoloration.
I should have checked the new cars at the stock yard with the dealer, but surely Honda/Dealer might have applied polish already to cover this defect.
Future buyers of ANHC please take care (Frankly I don't know what you can do if the root cause is poor quality of plastics from Honda)
Detailing experts (mkh, nirmal, sohail) may please comment
I couldn't resist uploading some more pictures of my Lady in Red (LIR) and so please enjoy
The car became dirty with rain water and slush soon after the 2nd service and had to clean it quickly last night.

HC
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019861.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019871.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019931.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019841.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019851.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc019941.jpg  

Old 29th December 2010, 23:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you guys to go for a 3M polish for the matte black window and bonnet trims.
My car went for the 3M recoat at Classic Honda, and they applied a 3M polish on the trims. That same polish has done well in the past month, even though my car has been washed twice and has done 500 kms since.My car's window trims showed discoloration and the dealer said that the reason was extremely salty water used for washing.
Believe me you can't even taste the MCD water that comes in Faridabad, its very salty.
To rectify the problem they used alcohol for cleaning the white residue and dressed it with 3M polish. The dull matte black finish was restored and hasn't changed since then.
ZV,
Thanks for your comments.
Donarun has replied to most of your comments and I agree with him.
Also please refer to my post with pictures and comments.
Please tell us how long does the polished plastic last?
It wold be helpful to know if there are any permanent solutions.
Olympia Honda does use some cleaning materials, but I am not sure of the brand and or the quality of them as they are dispensed and used in small containers.
Will check them in detail next time.
@Donarun : hope this answers your questions as well.
Old 30th December 2010, 07:44   #68
BHPian

Hi HC,

It looks too bad for me, Iam sure mine would not be in such a state as I have never seen such a fading on a car which is just 3months old.

I remember someone mentioning in his posts that he got them replaced free of cost from dealer.

I use 3M polish, I use it every week/fortnight depending on free time. Even after 15days polish remains in tact, I rarely wash the car that might be the reason.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 30th December 2010, 10:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Finally I could take some pictures in sunlight showing the discoloration of the plastics around OSRV mirrors, wiper blades and the plastic below the wiper blade area.
I think this is an inherent problem and is subtly hidden by Honda/Dealer by applying some polish to match the surrounding plastic color.
None of the theories of Honda/Dealer is convincing on this issue.
I use good quality corporation water for cleaning and does not contain salt.
The car is parked in a covered area 99.99% of the time and is exposed to sun only while driving and parking for short time while shopping.
Finally the car is just 3 months in to very careful use and there is no valid reason for such discoloration.
I should have checked the new cars at the stock yard with the dealer, but surely Honda/Dealer might have applied polish already to cover this defect.
HC
Hi HC,

Ditto, its the very same(might be a little better than yours) when it comes to discoloration of plastics near the OSRVMs and wiper blades on my ANHC. I should get to upload pics this weekend.

I use municipality supplied (drinking)water to wash the car so there cannot be a question of the water being hard or salt water, etc. Neither are the climatic conditions in Hyderabad harsh with respect to the air containing a lot of moisture, etc.

Unlike yours though, my car is parked in the open at office for 5 days in a week. But, the same was the case with my Santro, I used it for 5 years and it did not have such an issue at all.

So, I am aghast at Honda's plastic quality, a high value C segment car cannot be this bad. I am going to protest with my A.S.S to get them replaced and complain to Honda about it. Do take a look at this thread(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lity-anhc.html (Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :()) by Nirmal. Its the same that Raghu mentioned about, Nirmal complained to Honda and got the bad quality rubber and plastic parts replaced by them. At the moment, I am not seeing issues with the rubber hose, but the plastic discoloration is very similar to that of Nirmal's car.

Regards,
Kalyan

Quote:
I use 3M polish, I use it every week/fortnight depending on free time. Even after 15days polish remains in tact, I rarely wash the car that might be the reason.
Raghu, this is a good point to note esp. on maintaining the external plastic components of an ANHC.

But, I still do not buy the fact that the discoloration of the parts is entirely due to conditions(water, climate, washing process, parking under the sun, etc) at our end as suggested by some dealers. I strongly believe that the quality of the parts is not upto the mark expected from Honda.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 10:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:

Raghu, this is a good point to note esp. on maintaining the external plastic components of an ANHC.

But, I still do not buy the fact that the discoloration of the parts is entirely due to conditions(water, climate, washing process, parking under the sun, etc) at our end as suggested by some dealers. I strongly believe that the quality of the parts is not upto the mark expected from Honda.
+1

It's the quality of the material for sure.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:09   #71
BHPian

Sorry for not updating this thread.
Third Free service:
This was done on 26/03/2011 with an ODO reading of 2,448 KM.
Though I have not completed 5,000 KM but because it is 6 months, the SA advised to change the Engine oil and the oil filter.
So the cost for this service was Rs. 998.
The service station did gift me some of their residues and I had to clean them up.
Bought Collinite 845 liquid wax and applied them.
Let the pictures speak for the work done.

HC
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02065.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02064.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02062.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02061.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02060.jpg  

Old 25th August 2011, 12:19   #72
BHPian

wow, great work there HC,

I see residues of 845 on boot lid, open the lid and clean them up.

I use ultra sensitive tooth brush to remove the residues from intersections and on Logos.
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:30   #73
BHPian

April-May was exciting as the first long drive for Summer vacation to Kodiakanal was done.
It was an exhilarating experience to rip the iVTEC on the highway.
It was also heart breaking to get scraped at couple of speed breakers.
Once I was pushed off the 2 lane highway by an oncoming overtaking bus.
Was forced to drop the left wheels off the road and heard a thud noice from the front wheel.
Visual inspection at that time did not reveal any damages

After return took the car to check for the damages and found that the silencer was scarped in 2 places and the left wheel suspension arm had a deep scratch.
Honda SA did not recommend any work as there was no damage to the suspension or any other parts.

HC
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0120.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0247.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02077.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02078.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02079.jpg  

Old 25th August 2011, 12:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
wow, great work there HC,

I see residues of 845 on boot lid, open the lid and clean them up.

I use ultra sensitive tooth brush to remove the residues from intersections and on Logos.
Thanks Raghu, you sure have a good eye for details.
I will use your tip next time and check twice before clicking

HC
Old 25th August 2011, 12:38   #75
BHPian

I clean and wash my car by myself and manage to keep the water washing at least for 3 to 4 weeks with intermittent dusting by Jopasu.
During the water washing, I found that the water flowing down from the front wind shield to the wiper cowl gets drained to the front strut bushes.

The water stagnated on the rubber bush and could damage the bush as well as rust the strut bolt.
In order to avoid this I keep some old cloth over the struts before starting to pour water on the car.
Similarly the water accumulated inside the fuel lid and need to be opened and cleaned dry in order to avoid rusting.

The front windshield has a beading at the edge of the glass at the interface with the metal.
This prevents the small dry leaves from entering the crevice.
However the rear windshield does not have this and there is a 3 mm gap between the glass and the panel resulting in small leaves getting into the crevice.
This becomes worse when they get soaked in water while washing.
So this too needs to be cleaned BEFORE poring water over the car.
Hope this tip will be of help to other ANHC owners.

HC
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02059.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02058.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-dsc02007.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0163.jpg