Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th February 2006, 23:26   #166

Default 5000 km NHC-VTEC report !

hi guys! i'm back with a 5000km report of my NHC-vtec .The car has barely done 37 days and i've already clocked 5000km with it. awesome per day km avg huh?
well, lets get down to it then shall we......

Timeline : done with the first servicing , clocked 4700km on the dial.

Setting : A wedding to attend in pune circa 3 days ago.

The random factor : Leaving my house in worli at 10 am to catch a 12 pm wedding.

50 minutes later i touch the first concrete on the expressway at kalamboli. get on to the long straight stretch and gun her for all she has.....
Let me break this analysis down into a number of points.

1. performance : I wrote this promising myself not to have the slightest prejudice to the car regards the brand name and the vtec name. Simply put the car delivers and delivers well.100 comes up in a snap and we arent even into the good part yet.The car accelerates like a demon right upto 160kmph. Upto 160kmph it feels like u have to rein the car in as it tries to break free. After 160kmph things do get slower but the car still accelerates,no doubt.In 5th at 140-150kmph the tacho was at 4500rpm.Probably the torque peaks around 160kmph for this car after which rate of acceleration decreases. i reached a maximum of 180kmph(speedo indicated) before backing off, with the ac on 2nd or 3rd level- (dont remember which) and 5 people on board.Handling at this speed obviously is a different matter but we're getting to that.At 180, the car felt like it could go more but no that much more. i feel we were close to reaching the limits of the 1.5 engine here.

2.Handling : Much has been said about the overly light steering here. its obvious honda adapted it so as ppl use the least efforts in the city. In that respect its a gem- once u get used to it. the problem occurs wen u get on the highway. the steering is light, vague, even nervous at high speeds. It requires very supple relaxed hands and constant slow correction without ny quick movements. Ditto with the car itself. past 140 u need to be on constant vigil as the slightest imperfections on the road throw the car about ; and if theres a strong wind then u darent go to the speeds mentioned above because when u add to the nervous flitting nature of the car, the fickle steering- u have a recipe for disaster.overall the car cruises at 140kmph with light to moderate cornering and goes upto 160kmph straight line with confidence [at least for me]. past 140 it doesnt hug roads and corners with confidence and the steering doesnt do to add ny confidence. which all adds up in ny case . Since that car is advertised as a city car u wudnt be doing >160 runs in a city (at least not sanely) thus these characteristics not brought out with urban use and actually the car is very quick and beautiful to use in the city.

3.Gearbox,Brakes, etc : The gearbox is the best i've come across . just so slick and smooth.beautiful. Clutch use is decent and feels right. Brakes r good but the rubber's not.Apart from that ac, stereo and all the other extras r decent and do their job well.

4. Ride : In one sentence not as good as it could have been(at least on the highway at speeds mentioned). i owned an astra first , then bought an astra club before buying the city. those 2 cars had eons better ride and handling than the city does. getting back from pune i was stuck in the back passengers seat ( 3 ppl) . after just 2 hrs travelling i had a sore pain in the butt. not gr8 work honda. but again if use it as a city car this is overlooked as in city use the ride is more than comfortable and doesnt cause any aches.

5. FE : cars been decent so far. gives me around 12kmph in city and 15-16 on the highway with decent driving habits.this is a plus of the car in my books.

Summing up,

This car is a great car depending on the fact that u know what u want out of it .U get a straight line freak with gr8 acceleration, decent FE , plush interiors, a steering tats a boon in the city but a bane on high speed expressways, one of the slickest gearboxes and driving pleasure along with it.
However, judging by the tone on the forums regarding honda one could get misled in to thinking that honda can do no wrong which is hardly true.
The handling characteristics at high speeds leave a lot to be desired and throwing it into turns at high speeds is asking for trouble. as mentioned the steering is also a problem at high speeds and requires constant and careful monitoring and adjustment. the brakes r good but the rubber is flimsy. cornering at high speeds regularly will give back seat passengers a good body-ache and the jerks and jumps in the highway r transmitted to u more in this car than i found in the astra which offered a plusher more comfortable ride.

All in all, for people looking for a good engine with good performance, decent FE, plush interiors, driving pleasure,decent ride and handling in the city,and who do 75% driving intra-city with the occasional trip thrown in for good measure, theres no better car.
For people who value better looks, better luxuriosness inside, better more comfortable ride than sheer performance,FE,driving pleasure thenthey should look somewhere else. maybe an optra royale or something similar.
for all us self-driving urban users, theres no looking past this city.
signin out...
vijay.
vijay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 00:40   #167
Senior - BHPian

Good Review Vijay... Somehow I feel the OHC was more handsome anyday!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 01:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

I find it very difficult to justify why people buy Honda City. It has no snob value when compared with Optra, it has performance and handling issues at high speeds and doesnt inspire confidence as pointed out by the Vtec review here, its interiors are no match for Optra, doesnt come with leather interiors even as an option, there are simply too many around (its like a maruti of upper middle class folks), and lastly its priced at a premium in India and outside it competes without a boot as Jazz with likes of Swift, and here its pitched against a very lackluster C segement. I think the only reason it sells in huge numbers is due to the lack of options in this segment, as its mostly filled with dated cars and Optra is assocaited with high running costs thanks to infamous GM. Lastly compared to Optra, this car depreciates faster, 3 year old City retails at 4 lakhs compared to Optra which can get you 5.5. So is it wise to buy City any more?
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 07:32   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I find it very difficult to justify why people buy Honda City. It has no snob value when compared with Optra, it has performance and handling issues at high speeds and doesnt inspire confidence as pointed out by the Vtec review here, its interiors are no match for Optra, doesnt come with leather interiors even as an option, there are simply too many around (its like a maruti of upper middle class folks), and lastly its priced at a premium in India and outside it competes without a boot as Jazz with likes of Swift, and here its pitched against a very lackluster C segement. I think the only reason it sells in huge numbers is due to the lack of options in this segment, as its mostly filled with dated cars and Optra is assocaited with high running costs thanks to infamous GM. Lastly compared to Optra, this car depreciates faster, 3 year old City retails at 4 lakhs compared to Optra which can get you 5.5. So is it wise to buy City any more?
When you buy a car in that segment its not about snob value as it doesnt exist there. The city is a Practical car to buy...its easier to manouver in traffic as compared to the optra... it offers better fuel efficency than the optra...if u want leather or other such things they can always be added on even if the company doesnt give the option thats no reason why a car is worse off. Resale value of the NHC is better than the optra.

P.S-But isnt Baleno better than the optra?!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 14:30   #170
BHPian

hey vijay- congrats on your car - and thats a nice review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay82
the jerks and jumps in the highway r transmitted to u more in this car than i found in the astra which offered a plusher more comfortable ride.
Opel Astra/Corsa and Optra have absolutely the most comfortable rides in their class and even beat higher segment offerings in this respect ...

But the NHC does have a very comfy rear seat - among the best in class ....
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 16:18   #171

Yeah thanks,goldie. i guess performance went up several notches with this car but ride and handling came a notch or two down at the same time as well. Ah well, thats life i suppose we win some, we lose some.

P.S. i didnt go through the gears all the way to the redline; used to up-shift around 5000 or so.Do u think this mite have had an impact on the top speed i achieved?i would think this car should do 190 on the speedo with 180 being the true speed.
vijay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 16:34   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay82
P.S. i didnt go through the gears all the way to the redline; used to up-shift around 5000 or so.Do u think this mite have had an impact on the top speed i achieved?i would think this car should do 190 on the speedo with 180 being the true speed.
Errr - would have loved to help you out on this one, but the tops I have gone is only 170 kmph (speedo) on NH-24 for a *verrry* brief spell, and I was close to redlining all the time

Though, I think that to achieve the top speed, one should typically shift at the point where the Torque curve drops drastically near the redline .. Perhaps 6000 rpm should do the trick for you

For me, I guess I need to find a better road .. or maybe push my limits
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 16:37   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra

For me, I guess I need to find a better road .. or maybe push my limits
Delhi-Chandigarh will be way better than NH24.......take a break, go up to the hills

Last edited by suman : 27th February 2006 at 16:39.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 23:51   #174
BHPian

Well, i'm new here..bought 'the vtec' a month ago..galaxy grey..its run around 2,500km. all i'd wanna say is...i couldnt be happier..firstly being able to flaunt about ownin a vtec, and well i really dont drive normally :-P
so in the beginnin my car gave me an avg of 11.5..but after the 1st service..i started drivin like i used to.. and then! well my avg dropped to aroun 10.25 which was'nt a surprise but im still happy..i keep going for street races and drags..and also happy to be the only zx driver as yet who'se doing so.
the car does losen up if ur at 160+...and if u even slightly break at that speed..you're definately gonna lose control..i guess that would change if you put low profile tyres..but wouldnt make much of a difference..
i though run it on stock tyres coz havent been able to cough up enough money to buy em..and need i say the engine sound after 5000 rpm..just the perfect feeling!
v.tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 23:55   #175
Senior - BHPian

Angry

160 KMPH in NHC ZX is not safe on stock rubber. Please upgrade rubber.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 00:17   #176
BHPian

lol yea..i know im gettin it done this week..gettin new alloys put
v.tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 04:50   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

So who's the new 0-100 king. The NHC VTEC is it? Its something like 10.6 secs.

The Fiesta 1.6 dosent cut the mustard at around 11.5 sec 0-60. Baleno is also 11 something.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 10:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Yes Vtec it is. 1.6 Accent is faster then the Fiesta.
Old 6th March 2006, 10:30   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Yes Vtec it is. 1.6 Accent is faster then the Fiesta.

No 1.6 accent is not faster than 1.6 Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
So who's the new 0-100 king. The NHC VTEC is it? Its something like 10.6 secs.

The Fiesta 1.6 dosent cut the mustard at around 11.5 sec 0-60. Baleno is also 11 something.

about the baleno I should say that it would have lost the 11second barrier now that the new baleno makes 4hp less.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 10:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
No 1.6 accent is not faster than 1.6 Fiesta.
The Accent is faster. It has more PTW calculate it buddy. Both produce 100BHP but the Accent weighing much less is faster theorotically and practically too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
about the baleno I should say that it would have lost the 11second barrier now that the new baleno makes 4hp less.
Well does it? So the baleno makes only 90 bhp? Indias performance sedan