Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd December 2005, 19:45   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Sheshagiri. your new car is giving 11kmpl with a/c. THis means that you can expect 12-13 after the cars been run-in.

A noob question. Does this car have a spoiler? Not the boot spoiler but a proper wing spoiler. Hows the power compared to the other cars you have driven like the ikon,baleno,lancer,optra etc.?
Great, thats more than what I was expecting. A car that powerful giving 12-13 in Bangalore traffic is fabulous.
I have not gone in for a spoilor, not to my taste. I have not come across many cards which have given me so much of a pleasure while driving...may sound funny but the only one which come close is the 1.6 Palio...I have not driven the Baleno and hence i really dont know. The best part of this car is that it behaves well even at low speeds and at higher RPM...it is a monster (well behaved one)
Sheshagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 19:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Sheshagiri, How much did these cost you ?
Hot Tracks charged me 700 Rs per pair, expensive but they look good
Sheshagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the ZX Vtec today. It's a good car, pretty quick but, that Vtec magic is missing.

The cabin is too silent, the power delivery is smooth but lacks the neck snapping acceleration of the old one.

You can see the tacho moving but it makes you feel kinda disconnected.

It's by no means, a slow car. I was hitting 100kmph like no man's business and could hear that crip from the wheels everytime i upshifted at the redline but, driving pleasure isn't about acceleration alone and this is where the old one has an advantage.

Even the Honda employees at W.Field feel the same.

With the ZX Vtec, it feels like Honda designed the car first and then plonked a Vtec engine into it. The old one however, made you feel that they placed the engine first and then built a chassis around it.

For performance/driving pleasure : on a scale of 10 (10 being the old Vtec), i'd give this one 7 points. This is just a personal opinion though.

I suggest you test drive both the Vtecs and then comment on my opinion.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd December 2005 at 20:46.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 21:22   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the handling? Is there as much body roll as the regular i-Dsi. Also, what the official 0-100 numbers. Old one was like 9.8 secs if I recall right.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd December 2005 at 21:23.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 22:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the ZX Vtec today. It's a good car, pretty quick but, that Vtec magic is missing.
That's well summarized.
That's exactly what i had felt when i had test driven it. Compared to it's predescessor it's a big let down. In the absence of official car figures for the two,one thing's for sure-the new Vtec does not Feel anywhere near as quick as the old one.

The OHC Vtec used to be a class apart. This one does not rev like a wild animal(unlike it's predecessor) and consequently feels not very different from a Petra/Baleno. It might be quicker than these cars but it's not head and shoulders above them like the OHC Vtec was.

FOr hard core performance freaks i would still suggest looking for a 2nd hand Vtec..(..damn..that's giving me ideas!..)
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005, 05:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

while I have driven the invecs, I am yet to have my hands on the new vtec.

Does any1 think if both are competitive performance wise? The current vtec is also down on the figures hence the question.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 00:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Test drove the ZX Vtec today. It's a good car, pretty quick but, that Vtec magic is missing. The cabin is too silent, the power delivery is smooth but lacks the neck snapping acceleration of the old one.
What are weights of OHC and NHC Vtec respectively? Just a thought!
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 13:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Quite true, Shan2nu, the new VTEC has the mind - but lacks the heart of the old one.

Die-hard enthusiasts will miss that roar and the 'road-slipping-away-under-your-feet" feeling.
But, the newer one is a more refined car, with lesser NVH inside, and more stable handling, which might be a welcome change if you wish to go for long runs.

Quote:
FOr hard core performance freaks i would still suggest looking for a 2nd hand Vtec..(..damn..that's giving me ideas!..)
IMHO, both are quite well matched up considering the performance figures (in latest issue of ACI)

So, the newer one is no slouch when it comes to performance.

Maybe hard-core performance freaks should consider whether they want cold-blooded figures or some hot-blooded action. And then it is simpler to decide.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 15:30   #84
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The general public opinion has confirmed that the NHC VTEC does not have the explosive pick up of the old one owing to its 100kg extra weight and the 100 bhp@ 6500 rpm,, v/s the 106 bhp @6000 rpm of the crystal headlamp VTEC,, we just drove to Lonavla in a second hand Vtec ,,done 46000 kms and purchased Mum reg feb 2001 for 4.25,,for the price of a new ZEN,,motoring NIRVANA
snoopy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 16:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the 106 bhp @6000 rpm
Its 106 bhp @7100rpm.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 11:47   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its 106 bhp @7100rpm.
It's 106bhp@6800rpm. 7100 is the redline.

Quote:
while I have driven the invecs, I am yet to have my hands on the new vtec.

Does any1 think if both are competitive performance wise? The current vtec is also down on the figures hence the question.
U mean the Invex 1.8? Isn't that a 4 speed auto? I doubt it can match the ZX Vtec in a straight line but, it'll be better in the corners.

Let OD come out with the performance figs next month. That'l give us a better pic. The ZX Vtec didn't feel like it could do 100 in 10.6 but, some cars can feel slow when driven and still come out with some blistering acc figs.

I'll let Vbox do the calculations for me.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 23:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

U mean the Invex 1.8? Isn't that a 4 speed auto? I doubt it can match the ZX Vtec in a straight line but, it'll be better in the corners.

Let OD come out with the performance figs next month. That'l give us a better pic. The ZX Vtec didn't feel like it could do 100 in 10.6 but, some cars can feel slow when driven and still come out with some blistering acc figs.

I'll let Vbox do the calculations for me.

Shan2nu
yeah thats the same thing I had in mind. I suppose no much difference between the two except the design and automatic transmission.

both are expensive
both are fast (not blzingly fast)
both have around the same FE of around 10
both have good handling
both look good( I prefer the lancer's design but its old while citys design is fresh)

Last edited by devarshi84 : 27th December 2005 at 23:59.
Old 28th December 2005, 01:54   #88
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry for going off-topic but does anyone know the cost of the chrome exhaust pipe finish on the v-tec???
rohanmthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 03:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

what is the 0-100 timing for the NHC vtec?
Old 10th January 2006, 10:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
what is the 0-100 timing for the NHC vtec?
I think last months ACI tests say 10.56
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote