Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th January 2011, 17:41   #91

Default Re: Another 1.6 Polo

Hi Ankit, Great looking car and a superb VFM HU. One quesiton, when you engage the reverse gear, does the HU screen switch to rear camera view automatically? Or should you navigate to it manually?
hot_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 22:25   #92
BHPian

He Ankit,

Somehow bumped into your thread through Chethan's and read each and every post here.Great thread i must say and belated congrats on your car.

Really like your customized ICE setup.I too had my swift done from Driven.Right now am waiting for my Vento to be delivered by feb end(fingers crossed).Will contact you then for some suggestions.

Keep updating this thread.
cuteavaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteavaya View Post
He Ankit,

Somehow bumped into your thread through Chethan's and read each and every post here.Great thread i must say and belated congrats on your car.

Really like your customized ICE setup.I too had my swift done from Driven.Right now am waiting for my Vento to be delivered by feb end(fingers crossed).Will contact you then for some suggestions.

Keep updating this thread.
No problem! contact me anytime

@hot_wheels: sadly you need to navigate it yourself. It may be possible to connect some wire from the back of the HU to the reverse gear, but i am not sure if it can be done

Last edited by AnkitPrashar : 3rd February 2011 at 11:31. Reason: reply to another query
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:10   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
@hot_wheels: sadly you need to navigate it yourself. It may be possible to connect some wire from the back of the HU to the reverse gear, but i am not sure if it can be done
I tried my level best to get it automated, but almost certain that its not possible. I saw a caska unit the other day on a Polo in Coimbatore. It too had the same problem.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 12:08   #95
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Another 1.6 Polo

First of all Ankit, belated congratulations to on your brilliant car and brilliant thread

I too, will be getting my polo 1.6 by mid next week. I am so totally excited and just been reading polo ownership threads and I must say hats off to you for the amazing HU you procured after your extensive research.

The lack of an AUX- in on the polo HU has me desperate to look for a solution though I dont want to part with the OEM look and feel.

Will an in-car FM transmitter suffice?
As I believe it is the cheapest and least risk involving option though I dont want to lose out on sound quality. Any light you could shed on that aspect?

After yours and ChethanBG's extensive research and number of options now available to us, I am tempted to also go in for either the CASKA or the Witson HU albeit not if the FM transmitter shall suffice.
Eitherway, I have relatives visiting the US. Will it be better to source the witson or the caska HU?
As I preferred the Caska GUI and also the fact they have A.S.S in India though the Witson units in your car and ventoman's seem to be working perfectly.

Waiting for all your expert's opinions on my malady

EDIT: After a little bit of my own research, I have come across a couple of solutions which claim to eliminate the sound quality loss encountered during FM transmission. Experts, your opinions
1. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...4&cat=0&page=1
2. http://www.car-cd-changer.net/en/pro...ore.asp?id=466

Last edited by himanshu_j : 25th February 2011 at 12:48. Reason: Omission of data in earlier post
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 10:09   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
First of all Ankit, belated congratulations to on your brilliant car and brilliant thread

I too, will be getting my polo 1.6 by mid next week. I am so totally excited and just been reading polo ownership threads and I must say hats off to you for the amazing HU you procured after your extensive research.

The lack of an AUX- in on the polo HU has me desperate to look for a solution though I dont want to part with the OEM look and feel.

Will an in-car FM transmitter suffice?
As I believe it is the cheapest and least risk involving option though I dont want to lose out on sound quality. Any light you could shed on that aspect?

After yours and ChethanBG's extensive research and number of options now available to us, I am tempted to also go in for either the CASKA or the Witson HU albeit not if the FM transmitter shall suffice.
Eitherway, I have relatives visiting the US. Will it be better to source the witson or the caska HU?
As I preferred the Caska GUI and also the fact they have A.S.S in India though the Witson units in your car and ventoman's seem to be working perfectly.

Waiting for all your expert's opinions on my malady

EDIT: After a little bit of my own research, I have come across a couple of solutions which claim to eliminate the sound quality loss encountered during FM transmission. Experts, your opinions
1. VW iPod Interface for DELTA6 RCD 200/300/310/500/510/RNS510*::*VW*::*XCarLink
2. Charmlink Ipod interface,Ipod integration,USB/CD Interface,CD Changer,Digital Music Changer

CASKA is the obvious safe choice as they have their A.S.S. in India but thats the only reason they are charging 20k extra for it in India. You can try to source it from US , you might get it cheaper there but just check with the Caska A.S.S in India if they would honor any international warranty for it.

Witson has been doing fine in my car, the only problem is with the supplied ipod cable which causes minor bugs like playlist not being displayed, etc. thereby requiring me to unplug and plug it again. I will probably buy a better quality cable.

I think with those easily available ipod-fm transmitters, you can never get cd-quality of sound, a fm like reception is your best bet.

However those two links you mentioned do offer a good alternative but you need to check the compatibility with the OEM HU in polo. The HU is not exactly a RCD 200,210 or 300/310. Also it would cost you almost half of Witson!

Meanwhile TNS Automotive, the largest syndicated automotive study in India, has just released the results of its Customer satisfaction survey after researching over 9300 new car buyers and has revealed that POLO is as satisfying as the SWIFT!!
Check out the article
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 23:06   #97
BHPian

Thank you for your response.

I have mailed CASKA India regarding the same, hope they reply.

I am really not in the favor of getting an FM transmitter due sound quality issues and want to keep it as a last resort.

Regarding the ipod link adapters, if they are compatible with RDS 510 and RDS 510 is the unit available on the Polo outside of India and since the PIN configuration is the same worldover (assuming), they ought to be supported. Right? :(
Old 28th February 2011, 12:48   #98
BHPian

Post Re: Another 1.6 Polo

Thanks a lot Ankit for your review on the Witson HU.

Recommended both Witson and the Caska HU to a friend of mine. He didn't like the Sound Quality/fit and finish/Interface and the price of the Caska HU, so finally he decided to place an order for the Witson HU. I explained to him that A.S.S would be a pain since you would have to ship the Unit to China incase any problem crops up, and he said he could live with it cause he won't be using his Polo 1.2 HL on a daily basis.

Anyways, My Polo 1.6 would take another 3 long months to get delivered, can't wait to take the plunge depending upon Your's and my Friend's experience with the Witson Unit, have my fingers crossed.

Please keep updating us with your review and experience's whenever you find some time.
ShortShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:16   #99
BHPian

After much thought regarding the x carlink and other available options, I too have decided to take the plunge for the Witson HU.

Hope it serves me as well as it has you and others (ventoman, i believe)

I had a question, why would you recommend DHL over EMS? As an $80 difference would affect a student like me :( but then, I am not willing to take a chance and have damaged HU delivered to me or problem with the customs here
Old 18th March 2011, 20:21   #100
BHPian

himanshu_j, DHL is obviously safer. Fyi, since i'm working with a supply chain management firm, yesterday we heard of crazy delays at delhi airport for customs clearance because of a strike and shipments being left out in the open and being piled on top of each other.

summary, shell out the extra $$, for a safer delivery (if possible, specify hard cardboard) and the unit as seen from Ankit's pictures comes bubble wrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
After much thought regarding the x carlink and other available options, I too have decided to take the plunge for the Witson HU.

Hope it serves me as well as it has you and others (ventoman, i believe)

I had a question, why would you recommend DHL over EMS? As an $80 difference would affect a student like me :( but then, I am not willing to take a chance and have damaged HU delivered to me or problem with the customs here
layndrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 17:25   #101
BHPian

[quote=AnkitPrashar;2108008]

-GPS; its a winCE 5.0 based device and its unlocked. I bought Satguide and it did work (wont recommend though). Today i managed to install Mapmyindia which is way way better. (PM me for the software details)

Ankit, could you share how to install MMI on the witson ? software details ... thanks
layndrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 06:24   #102
BHPian

Hi Ankit, let me just revive this thread to :-
1. Thank you for all the research done on the HU units for the VW and sharing it. I have been wanting to thank you , since the last two months. Since I was approved only today, I thought this has to be prioritised.

2.I am completely sold on the Witson for HU and will upgrade my stock speakers.So sound output which others are a little worried about should'nt be a problem. Could you please let me know the software details and the procedure for installing MMI on witson.

@ventoman and layndrivr, your help would also be welcome.
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:04   #103
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Another 1.6 Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Hi Ankit, let me just revive this thread to :-
1. Thank you for all the research done on the HU units for the VW and sharing it. I have been wanting to thank you , since the last two months. Since I was approved only today, I thought this has to be prioritised.

2.I am completely sold on the Witson for HU and will upgrade my stock speakers.So sound output which others are a little worried about should'nt be a problem. Could you please let me know the software details and the procedure for installing MMI on witson.

@ventoman and layndrivr, your help would also be welcome.

Thanks for appreciating my efforts!

I am quoting one of my replies from another thread regarding witson HU and sound quality:-

For me the witson is doing a pretty good job. My main aim was to get that OEM look which was something i could not get in pioneer HU and other double din HU (and by OEM look i don't just mean a proper fitting by means of a face plate , the overall design looks OEM for me). Secondly i have been using MMI on it quite regularly, it works flawlessly, the music mutes while the directions are being spoken out and i don't need to have another gps device hanging off my windshield. In case of Pioneer HU, i think you do need to buy the GPS separately, which then makes the whole setup a bit too costly.

Now as far as the sound quality is concerned, yes it may not be sounding as good as a pioneer or kenwood, but in all honesty a lot of it is down to your speaker setup. Once u get the speakers powered by an amplifier, your HU won't be doing much of the work to spoil the sound quality. So for sound quality i would highly suggest investing in a good pair of front comps, amp and a sub!.

My HU costed me about 20k with shipping , while a pioneer HU with GPS or a Caska would be around 40K. I invested remaining 20K in a pair of Rainbow comps, a kenwood amp and then after 6 months i went ahead and spent a bit more and got myself an ID12 v3 sub. Its fair to say that the sound now is miles better than the stock speaker setup. So to cut the story short, for a good sound setup invest in speakers and amp(okay if you are really those audiophile types then trust me u wont be buying any double din touchscreen HU either!!).

But alas, the Witson is Chinese with no Indian after sales support. Phone book browsing through Bluetooth is a fail, other than that i am completely satisfied considering the amount of money i have invested!

Regarding the MMI gps , i shall PM you the details!
AnkitPrashar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:41   #104
BHPian

Thank you Ankit. I had gone through all your posts. I am going in for Witson for the same reason that you did. I was just curious on the MMI software details. Will await your PM .Thanks once again
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 21:17   #105
BHPian

Quote:

My HU costed me about 20k with shipping , while a pioneer HU with GPS or a Caska would be around 40K. I invested remaining 20K in a pair of Rainbow comps, a kenwood amp and then after 6 months i went ahead and spent a bit more and got myself an ID12 v3 sub. Its fair to say that the sound now is miles better than the stock speaker setup. So to cut the story short, for a good sound setup invest in speakers and amp(okay if you are really those audiophile types then trust me u wont be buying any double din touchscreen HU either!!).
Ankit, did you have cut the wires for the amp and sub installation?

Quote:
Regarding the MMI gps , i shall PM you the details!
Kindly PM me the details as well.
e-katz is offline   Reply With Quote