Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2010, 21:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ritz ZXi Arrives!

Hello friends, we just bought a new Ritz ZXi for our company, to be primarily used by one of our staff.

No other cars were considered! We wanted a Ritz VXi with ABS or a Ritz ZXi as ZXi had airbags as well. As VXi with ABS had a long waiting period, we booked a ZXi.

Hyundai i10 kappa2 was not considered as we had an old 800 & this was bought in exchange from the maruti dealer.

Got the delivery today. Waiting period was just 1 week! On-road price was close to 5.8 lakhs.

Variant: ZXi
Fuel: Petrol
Colour: Silver

Was driving a petrol car after a long gap & the way the tacho needle jumps to redline impressed me!

Initial impressions-

+ Doors auto lock above 20 kmph - Nippon remote locking? anyways, good!
+ Build quality seems good & does not have the tinny feel of a santro or Wagon R.
+ Steering feel is good & much better than i10.
+ engine refinement is fab & the K series is a huge improvement over the earlier engine.
+ front third quarter styling is nice.
+ gear knob is chunky with a nice short shift action.
+ acceleration is good after 2k rpm.
+ dashboard & interior quality is very good, switches operate with nice tactile feel.
+ orange lighting is pleasant.
+ 2 airbags & ABS with EBD is a welcome addition.
+ ZXi has 185 section tyres, good.
+ steering mounted audio controls are nice.
+ remote locking has a nice chirp compared to my scorpio!
+ rear wiper!!! (diesel Ritz does not have this!)

- No electric RVMs even in this top end model.
- OE music system is crappy!
- rear design not to everyone's taste.
- alloy wheel design is too simple.
- the height adjust lever of the driver seat broke while installing the seat covers. i dont know whether its poor QC by maruti or rough handling by the seat cover guys.
- low end response of engine is average, i am comparing it with my mHawk though.
- rear legroom is just about average.
- only one cabin light, very insufficient.
- light off/key reminder has an irritating buzzer.
- ride quality is on the harder side, need to check the tyre pressure though.

Sorry for the out of focus pics friends. was in a real hurry to reach home & had to take a few pics for T-BHP too, my X10 just refuses to click good pics unless held with a very steady hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0524.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0525.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0526.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0527.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0528.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0530.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0532.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0533.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0534.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0535.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0536.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0538.jpg  

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0540.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd October 2010 at 21:14.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Ritz. Test drove the petrol version last week. I must admit the K12 engine is very good.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Ritz
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks buddy.

If it was a personal car for me, in this budget, i would have got myself a VTVT i10 kappa2.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the fully loaded car!
During seat cover fitting they take the entire seat out of the car and sew them up - so guess the lever was flimsy to start with.
The light off / key reminder buzz is designed to be irritating (so that you do not ignore it)
One thing I did not like is the light colored steering cover on a dark steering wheel - IMO a black / dark grey cover would have been a better match.
Drive safe!
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition. This colour flatters the RITZ. I think it is an ageless design which will stay fresh for years and grow on you with the years.

Could we have a picture of the boot, maybe with a bag there just for perspective. That is one thing I think the RITZ lacks, a nice big boot.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on getting the fully loaded car!
Fully loaded? hmmm, maybe for maruti!

A car costing almost 6L without electric RVMs is not fully loaded. I would have liked the Automatic climate control from Swift ZXi too but then i would be asking too much.

Quote:
During seat cover fitting they take the entire seat out of the car and sew them up - so guess the lever was flimsy to start with.
These are not the OE type fit seat covers. these are the ones which you slide over the existing seat covers & then tie the elastic bands below!

Quote:
The light off / key reminder buzz is designed to be irritating (so that you do not ignore it)
true. but i have the habit of switching off the car, opening the door & then taking the key out from the ignition. this damn thing starts buzzing within that moment!

Quote:
One thing I did not like is the light colored steering cover on a dark steering wheel - IMO a black / dark grey cover would have been a better match.
Seats covers & steering wheel cover is not my choice. If left to me, i would not have opted for steering wheel cover & would have fitted OE fit seat covers from G Sport or Haiton.

Only accessory left is window tints which is absolutely essential for mumbai's climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition. This colour flatters the RITZ. I think it is an ageless design which will stay fresh for years and grow on you with the years.
thanks arun. we wanted the car in White or Brown colour, but waiting period was too much.

Quote:
Could we have a picture of the boot, maybe with a bag there just for perspective. That is one thing I think the RITZ lacks, a nice big boot.
sure, i will do that first thing in the morning. Ours is a company car which is meant to be run in the city only, so boot space was not important to us.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd October 2010 at 22:36.
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hello friends, we just bought a new Ritz ZXi for our company, to be primarily used by one of our staff.
Congrats Raj. I must say the staff who getting this car is really lucky. Ritz is indeed a fantastic car.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:59   #8
e46
BHPian

Congrats on your buy Raj! The Ritz is for sure, a proper all round car and the K12M engine makes it even more tempting. Good to see, lot of fellas are choosing the top variant over the vxi.

Abhishek
e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Congrats Raj. I must say the staff who getting this car is really lucky. Ritz is indeed a fantastic car.
thanks buddy. this car would be used by us too, whenever our car is unavailable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Congrats on your buy Raj! The Ritz is for sure, a proper all round car and the K12M engine makes it even more tempting. Good to see, lot of fellas are choosing the top variant over the vxi.

Abhishek
thanks abhishek.
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition Raj.

I'm so happy that you bought the high opted Airbags and ABS. Any particular reason why you didn't consider any diesel hatchbacks?

I'm eagerly waiting for you to upload some high resolution pictures preferably taken in daylight.

Keep us updated. Happy and safe motoring.

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd October 2010 at 09:14.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
here you go Arun, pics of the boot with a large full size suitcase in it-

Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0544.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0545.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition Raj.

I'm so happy that you bought the high opted Airbags and ABS. Any particular reason why you didn't consider any diesel hatchbacks?
1) Running was not much.
2) Diesel Ritz had a long waiting period & was also not available in top end.

We were not interested in other diesels like vista or punto due to their quality & "amazing" ownership experiences! i dont like the looks of the figo. and since this is supposed to be a company car, good reliability & the best A.S.S was priority.

Quote:
I'm eagerly waiting for you to upload some high resolution pictures preferably taken in daylight.
here you go-

Rear legroom with front seat slided halfway ahead-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0546.jpg

Pics of dash-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0547.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0548.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0549.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0551.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0552.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0556.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0557.jpg

Power windows & door lock-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0553.jpg

Front seats have very very good legroom (almost innova rivalling!)-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0554.jpg

I like the way the storage bin opens, no push in or any click, just lift & close!
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0555.jpg

Narrow centre console with hardly any storage space-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0558.jpg

I dislike this gap between the gear box console & centre console-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0559.jpg

Exteriors-
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0560.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0561.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0562.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0563.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0564.jpg
Ritz ZXi Arrives!-dsc_0565.jpg

A few more observations-

+ boot space is good enough for a hatch.
+ build quality is very good. The doors close with a very satisfying thud. even the exterior door handles have a very positive & quality pull. No wonder... since the car was designed along with GM (to be badged an Opel), so you can feel the small german touch! (Google)
+ rear legroom is very decent. rear seats are comfortable for a 6 footer like me, but with a driver of average height in the front seat!
+ Remote control for OE music system.

- door pockets are very narrow, cannot hold full size bottles.
- ORVMs are not convex... bad!
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Diesel Ritz had a long waiting period & was also not available in top end.

2) build quality is very good. The doors close with a very satisfying thud. even the exterior door handles have a very positive & quality pull. No wonder... since the car was designed along with GM (to be badged an Opel), so you can feel the small german touch!
1) Also Airbags are not available in the top end diesel to the best of my knowledge. The petrol unit is quite good and free revving. Not a genuine successor to G series, but still good. G had fantastic top end, K has a broader spread of power with good midrange and good top end. After around 125-130, the acceleration slows down and one realizes the wind forces as Ritz is not as aerodynamic as Swift.

2) Opel was not involved in the development of Ritz. Ritz is based on worked upon Swift platform ( and both score 4/5 stars in EuroNCAP with all those airbags ). The cars are supplied under the Opel badge under badge engineering. The build quality is nice in Ritz and I agree that the overall feel is better than Estilo, Santro, Wagon R brigade.

About ride quality, its upto tyre pressure. I have noticed that dealers fill in excessive pressure to give out higher FE. Its normally 2-3 psi more than what is specified by manufacturer. It was 4 psi higher in our recently acquired CNG Wagon R. I could not understand why the car felt so bouncy, but after returning to recommended tyre pressure, ride improved. Also our tyres are not good and make a lot of noise, they are JK I think.

Do check out tyre pressure for ride. Ritz has quite good ride quality in city as compared to Swift or Wagon R or Santro or even I10.

What is the recommended oil change interval ? We were informed about 10K for the first oil change for our K10 Waggie, but I am not happy about it. I think Suzuki is using synthetic oil for K series.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:28   #13
BHPian

Congrats!! The Ritz is one of the most sensible buys in its segment. But I am a bit surprised that you bought a highest spec model for your staff usage. you must be a very popular boss
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Raj! The Ritz is a potent car, heavily underrated due to it's looks.

Quote:
- low end response of engine is average, i am comparing it with my mHawk though.
This is not fair!

Quote:
- ride quality is on the harder side, need to check the tyre pressure though.
Check tire pressures ASAP. Dealers always fill it at 40psi.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 23rd October 2010 at 11:49.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Also Airbags are not available in the top end diesel to the best of my knowledge.
Thats true.

Quote:
The petrol unit is quite good and free revving. Not a genuine successor to G series, but still good. G had fantastic top end, K has a broader spread of power with good midrange and good top end. After around 125-130, the acceleration slows down and one realizes the wind forces as Ritz is not as aerodynamic as Swift.
I personally like the swift more. but the Ritz is definitely more practical, the swift has very boring interiors.

Quote:
2) Opel was not involved in the development of Ritz. Ritz is based on worked upon Swift platform ( and both score 4/5 stars in EuroNCAP with all those airbags ). The cars are supplied under the Opel badge under badge engineering. The build quality is nice in Ritz and I agree that the overall feel is better than Estilo, Santro, Wagon R brigade.
thanks for clearing that. i got that info from here (Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star).

Quote:
Do check out tyre pressure for ride. Ritz has quite good ride quality in city as compared to Swift or Wagon R or Santro or even I10.
I am waiting for the Reg. number, we will take the car out after that!

Quote:
What is the recommended oil change interval ? We were informed about 10K for the first oil change for our K10 Waggie, but I am not happy about it. I think Suzuki is using synthetic oil for K series.
Oil change interval is every 10k kms.

recommended oil is SG+ 5W-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Congrats!! The Ritz is one of the most sensible buys in its segment. But I am a bit surprised that you bought a highest spec model for your staff usage. you must be a very popular boss
why so? our staff surely deserves the Airbags & ABS. Especially considering that there is just a 50k difference between ZXi & VXi with ABS - not a big amount when you are buying a 6 lakh car & not at all a big price for someone's safety.

Also consider that even we will be using the car sometimes and we have always been buying only top end variants of cars! we like the car to be fully loaded & if we cannot afford the top end, we buy a smaller car, but the top end variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Congrats Raj! The Ritz is a potent car, heavily underrated due to it's looks.
after buying one, i do agree to this.

Quote:
This is not fair!
i again agree but then i just compared since mHawk is my daily drive.

Quote:
Check tire pressures ASAP. Dealers always fill it at 40psi.
first thing after i get registration.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd October 2010 at 13:08.