Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th October 2010, 05:04   #1
BHPian

Cool Meet my Ford Figo 1.2

When my wife returned back to office after a long maternity break, she found it had shifted deeper into Gurgaon, and the cab route was taking simply too long. She made it abundantly clear she wanted a car of her own. This timed in nicely with the end of loan period for our NHC, and I was ready to oblige with the financing.

So there I was in the market for a second car. We had 2 basic requirements
1. It had to be a small car - parking space does not permit another big car. Plus, it would be more convenient to take out in crowded city markets.
2. It had to be spacious and comfortable in the rear, since my wife planned to get a driver.

Initial round of discussions brought up 3 serious candidates
1. Polo
2. Figo
3. i20

Ritz was rejected because of the looks.
Swift because it was too common on the roads, and is quite cramped/claustrophobic in the rear.
Jazz because it was overpriced to the extreme - it would be better to stretch more and buy a new City. Or a Vento.
Punto is a lovely car to look at and drive even though the engine lets it down badly. In any case, I stay away from Fiat.
Vista is a far better car than its predecessor, but the Taxi image still stands, so out it goes.

So, we hopped along to Moti Nagar, where all the 3 showrooms are next to each other for a look and a test drive. This also makes for a nice little test track, where within 30 minutes you can take a car over a 10 km stretch of open roads, bad traffic and lunar landscapes.

Disclaimer - while we were at it, we did test drive a host of other small cars including those rejected above just for a fair comparison. I wont mention those for the sake of brevity.

Candidate 1. Polo

VW sales folks seemed to be the least bit interested in selling anything. They just said here's the car -look at it - no brochures - got a badly crumpled photocopy for the pricelist. After several rounds of requests and threats, finally managed to get a test drive on a 1.2 Petrol highline.

Pros
- Wifey loves the styling.
- Great looking interiors, fit and finish. Comfy seats too.
- Awesome ride - soaks almost anything thrown at it - even lunar landscapes.

Cons
- Cramped footwell (I am 6'1")- after having read user experiences, I tried every possible adjustment suggested. The result was that I could drive in only 1 particular position, and I simply could not think about driving like that for any extended period of time, especially not in traffic.
- The petrol 1.2 engine is quite jerky at low crawling speeds. It simply does not feel like a german engine. Total turn off given the rest of the engineering effort gone into this car.
- Rear space was ok - not very great.
- Poor OEM music system - tinny sound, and no base whatsoever. Better not go for highline, and plonk in and aftermarket one.

I was ok with the Polo, being resigned to the fact I would not be able to drive it around much, but at least wifey would enjoy the comfy ride in the back.
However, on asking when I could get my hands on one, I was given a nonchalant reply of 4-5 months - take it or leave it - we are not interested in you. No way could we wait for that long. So Polo went off the list.

Candidate 2. Figo

Ford has always ended up as second best on my car-buying list. First, I flirted with the idea of getting an Ikon 1.6 at a yummy price. Then, there was the Fiesta which lost out to the City.

The first thing that I noticed on entering the Ford showroom was the immediate response I got. The sales guy was very well-informed and very interested in selling the car. Test drive was immediately available both for Petrol and TDCi versions.

Pros
- Spot on driving position, spot on handling - yummy hydraulic PS. As expected from a Ford.
- Awesome space - fit me and the 6-foot sales guy behind me with room to spare.
- Nice refined rev-happy petrol and punchy diesel - I did not feel any lack of power in the petrol upto 80 kmph at least. Thats all I need for the city - I have the City for the highways.
- Decent OEM music system, and with bluetooth - nice!!

Cons
- Dull drab looks
- Cost cutting is evident

In short, Figo was the car I liked with head and heart, while my wife was still unable to get over the fact she wouldnt be able to get the Polo.

Candidate 3. i20

Hyundai guys were the most pro-active lot (and the most aggressive too). However, they had a very poorly maintained test drive vehicle available in 1.2 Kappa. It had lost both ORVMs and front bumper was hanging loose. Nevertheless, we drove on.

Pros
- Really wide and comfy driver seats.
- Good build quality on the interiors - though my wife disliked the brown mousey interiors.
- Ride was decent though handling was quite ordinary.
- Really love the exterior styling - has got that meaty look.

Cons
- Unacceptable AC cooling. Dont know if it was the test car or the fact that we drove Polo and Figo before, but even after 30 minutes, my wife was sweating at the back.
- Rear seats lack proper cushioning and the back is rather straight.

To summarize, everything about the i20 felt about ok, with just the AC being the sore point. A few calls and a couple of rides on i20's at my office proved that the i20 AC is no great shakes. There was no way I was paying more than 5L for loads of fancy gadgets and such poor cooling.

Judgement time:

With time running out, and my wife's complaints about the cab ride getting louder and louder, we had to decide fast. For all I agreed to compromise on the driving and rear seat comfort in Polo, the waiting time was too long and painful, if the initial response of VW was anything to go by. The i20 ticked all the boxes except for the AC and that sort of left it hanging as an option, but not first choice.

Though I loved driving the Figo and its VFM pricing, I was apprehensive about the A.S.S. A quick chat with my boss who owns a Ikon and Fiesta put my doubts to rest and I got a good feedback about Harpreet motors.

My wife came up with an interesting twist - why not she take the NHC with its awesome rear seat (& upmarket factor) to her office and I can enjoy driving the Figo all I want. Trust women to come up with ideas you both love and hate

So we went over to Harpreet Motors and booked our Squeeze (Green) Figo 1.2 Petrol Zxi. Was promised delivery in 2 weeks time. Paid 25k as booking amount and gave all the papers for the loan processing.

The finance guy was as cocky and arrogant as the sales guy was humble. He got the loan processed but almost delayed the delivery by a week. Only some quick thinking on my part (helped by the Sales guy - Raman - had to mention him for his professional, prompt and helpful nature) saved the day, and I drove out in 2 weeks time with my spanking new "Squee-Go".

The car was delivered exactly when promised, and in excellent condition, everything explained nicely and a PD checklist gone through meticulously. Though they forgot the rear parcel tray, 150 km on the odo was a bit much, and tank was totally empty (DTE = 0).

Have driven around the city for 1000 km so far and no issues so far. Some minor niggles which I will list down later. On the whole, I love taking this car on my daily run, however mundane it is, and dont miss my NHC any more

PS - I did drive the 1.4 TDCi as well, and as convenient it is to drive, I hate not being able to rev it hard. I guess I am a petrol fan, and the 1.2 does not let down in the city, where it is going to stay. Moreover, my 1200 km monthly run puts me just at the border of being able to justify a diesel, and I would rather save the 1L upfront.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 25th October 2010 at 05:06. Reason: bad spellings
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 05:23   #2
BHPian

Some initial pics - from my cellphone.
Dressed for the occasion
Attached Thumbnails
Meet my Ford Figo 1.2-photo0570.jpg  

Meet my Ford Figo 1.2-photo0578.jpg  

Meet my Ford Figo 1.2-photo0579.jpg  

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 25th October 2010 at 05:24.
Old 25th October 2010, 07:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Goldie, congrats on your buy ! The car looks great in green.
I just drove my cousin's red colored Figo (petrol) yesterday evening for the first time, and really liked the car.

Please do post some details of your initial driving experiences. Is this the version with power windows ?

Wishing you miles and miles of safe driving
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 08:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice term - Squea-Go

Enjay! And let the updates keep flowing.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 08:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Figo. Your shirt matches the color of the car.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the Figo.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Congrats Goldie brother for your new Figo.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

PS: Personally did not like the words "Scrappy" "American". You could have used some thing good about the car.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

@goldie: Congrats on the car. I am sure you will enjoy driving it after the NHC with its better handling and smaller dimensions.
Does this car have the ebony or red interiors?
Also, why not the Titanium with ABS and Airbags?

@Mooza: This is the version with the front PW.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Ford Figo.

Please upload more pictures brother. Especially the interiors.

Wishing you a happy and safe motoring. Keep us updated

Amith
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:49   #9
BHPian

@Everyone - thanks a lot guys, will post my experience later.

@gemithomas - thanks - your thread helped me a lot in making the decision.

@lambo - there was a momentary lapse of reason which made me not go for the Titanium - on hindsight, I wish I had. It has ebony interiors - coral red with green exteriors looks a bit over the top. I wouldnt have minded red dash with a white or black exterior.

@ghodlur - i did not mean scrappy as in scrap - but as in determined and with fighting spirit.

In fact, credit goes to my niece for choosing 'Squee-Go'.
BTW - she was so upset with Ford for using 'Figo' - she had reserved the name for her new puppy which she will get as soon as her mother lets her.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 25th October 2010 at 13:51.
Old 25th October 2010, 21:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

@goldie: I know what you mean. Was the same scenario with our Fiesta.

Anyways, congrats once again. DO hope to see more pictures and updates as the car goes through the paces.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 21:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car man.

Drive safe

I guess you haven't lost much in the bargain. A Figo is any day better to drive than a NHC
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 23:38   #12
BHPian

Welcome to the Figo club. Congrats on the purchase.
Any freebies?
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 12:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Welcome to the Figo club. Congrats on the purchase.
Any freebies?
I got the mudflaps, foot-mats and boot cover pack. The foot-mats are similar in quality to what you posted on your thread.

Also got a 2000/- accessories voucher which I managed to cash in after some negotiating.

3rd year warranty as corp discount.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:55   #14
BHPian

Later impressions - driven for 1300 kms now

Apologize for comparisons between NHC and Figo - one costs twice as the other, yet these are what I drive regularly and cant help but compare.

- When you put the keys in the DTE is flashed for 5 seconds before moving on to the odo, just to give you an idea of how far you can go.
- The music system is pretty rudimentary w.r.t audio settings - I mean no 5-band equalizer, no presets, no time/space-correction, no base/treble filtering etc. Its good that the default sound is decent enough.
- The bluetooth is good for receiving calls only. To do anything else, including making calls, there is a complicated menu. It would be easier to use shortcuts on my phone itself. Also, no voice dialling and no microphone mute.
- The black plastic and the footmats gets dirty very easily - I find the beige interiors on my NHC able to hide most of the dust from my shoes.
- The foot-mats I got seem to be of better quality than others that I have seen on the site.
- Rattles ahoy! From the rear right door and B pillar - have to show this at the first service. However, they appear only over bad roads.
- Squeeks from the front brakes when I brake suddenly. Also, the bite seems to have gotten worse over the first 1000 kms.
- The right hand wiper nozzle hardly squirts, while the left one goes all the way to the roof.
- Though I liked the hard edge to the suspension initially - on hindsight, the softer suspension on my NHC seems much better over most of the roads I drive on.
- Alternating between the NHC and Figo brings more than its fair share of getting used to. Besides the controls all being at the opposite sides, the Figo steering and gearbox feels much heavier than the NHC which is absolutely effortless.
- Figo has excellent road visibility - never an issue in parking or reversing in tight spaces. Though I still cant judge the front very accurately.
- FE is hovering around the 12 kmpl mark - though I got 10 on the first run.

Will follow up with more pics soon.