Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th October 2010, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
13) Glove box lamp - None found in there. Only reading lamp on the roof helps!
Yes it is not mentioned in manual. But anyway you can find in specification section "Illuminated Glove Box".

Quote:
14) Accordingly to the manual, the turn indicators should have 2 positions up and 2 down. The first position is for lane change assist, and the 2nd position is for complete Turn. I don't find it in GX.
It is actually there. Second position is just soft lift up/soft push down not fixed position.

Quote:
15) ORVM - awesome, a massive improvement (for me) from dumb plane Palio mirrors.
Yes it is. ORVM is boon in traffic but sometimes you have to fear for its safety due to fellow uncivilized bikers.

Quote:
16) 3 POS Lumbar support - I find only 2 positions. Will have to try harder next time to find the 3rd pos.
There are actually two positions not three positions. One normal position also TATA is counting.

Quote:
17) Arm Rest - try keeping a coffee cup (while stationary), it appears slightly tilted.
I cannot take risk of putting coffee in those cup holders. I do not want to mess around with interiors. Better keep them closed always.

Quote:
19) Dead Pedal - I miss it terribly. It has a great use, wonder why such simple ideas are not implemented.
For such high seating position dead pedal IMHO not required. It will pain your calf muscle.

Quote:
20) Spare wheel - Do people lock their spare wheels, there is a provision for that, but I find it bit too much for me to do. Wife gives me a look "enough da ..."
Better lock spare wheel and its cover. These days Safari Spare Wheel cover is favorite for thieves.

Quote:
22) Side door pockets - Innova has plenty of bottle holders, even Fiesta has. Why not Safari?
I miss bottle holder too much. There is not a single bottle holder in entire car. I am planning to get back seat organizer for it. For driver it would be very difficult to reach back seat organizer, but what are the options?.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 22:21   #17
BANNED

sgmitr13, your initial observations are as long as your handle name

Dont worry about those initial niggles, inform the same to your service advisors, and all will be taken care.

TATA service has gone a step ahead that what it was a year ago, Congratulations and Welcome to the ever growing Safari clan on T-BHP.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 12:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

@SG, lock your spare wheel and no, one on the zipper openers doesnt hold good. Check below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ver-theft.html
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 13:00   #19
BANNED

SGMITR13 Congrats on your car and enjoy the ride.

Quote:
24) Follow-me-home light - Would like TML to sense a third press of the button to turn off the lights. Helps in parking lots without getting attention from the courteous attendants.
For the above problem just switch ON the headlights and switch it OFF that is the only solution and doing it regularly on my King.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:03   #20
BHPian

Default 1st service done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Headlamps - get it properly aligned. And, unless you have really good eyes, they are highly insufficient for our highway traffic. The 55/60w is a danger on our roads! I would recommend changing them to at least 90/100w.
Headlamps - I am concerned of minor cuts or openings needed for 90/100. The last thing I want is the moisture inside the assembly. I have seen that in my Palio, after effect of DIY bulb change. However, will look at your photos, if any.

Quote:
Turbo sound will be evident when you reach 1100rpm and will be very evident around 1400rpm. You will not hear it in loud environments.

Turbo lag has been well addressed with the latest ECU updates; no wonder you are not noticing it.
With too much Kling-Klangs, I probably would have missed the Turbo sound.
I really didn't understand the Turbo-Lag, hence asked what it is and how do I observe it.

Quote:

The horn is powerful enough, but then, we in India can always do with more powerful horns!
Anuj and HW are right, the horn is loud enough, but the tone is so common that nobody cares. Need it to be distinctive like that in Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Can you please put more details on your purchase regarding the place of your purchase (KHT location), price and the freebies you got? My friend is still hunting for a best price over a new Safari. Also we are eager to see some pictures of your beast!
Happy motoring.
I and others discussed it in Prem's thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2058849 (Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant)
KHT is located next to Cosmos Mall close to Brookfields or before Gopalan enclave. Since, mine is a 4x4, didnt really get decent discounts. But for 4x2, KHT and others were ready to offer some. Nevertheless, I got Corp discount (5K) and Dealer discount (15K). These are offered on top of the Ex-Show room (i.e., after Sales Tax.) Freebies - As good as none. If 4x4, there is nothing like best price. But for 4x2, you can negotiate with Prerana, Concorde and KHT. Contact Naveen in KHT 9035002285.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Yes it is not mentioned in manual. But anyway you can find in specification section "Illuminated Glove Box".
Glove Box Lamp was actually missing in my GX. But we found it in LX version.
We found that missing in another GX (nice black color, came for 1st svc as well). Ramesh in KHT has ordered 2 sets to fix it.

Quote:
It is actually there. Second position is just soft lift up/soft push down not fixed position.
Yes, realized that. Very clever of TML to call that as a feature, it is nothing but controls getting connected just before getting into the 'turn' position.

Quote:
There are actually two positions not three positions. One normal position also TATA is counting.
Thanks. Noticed that normal 6 O' clock position. Thought there was only 12 and 3 O' clock positions.

Quote:
For such high seating position dead pedal IMHO not required. It will pain your calf muscle.
I use it to lift myself upright while driving or straighten the trouser.
I should change the floor mats, mine is slippery.

Quote:
Whatever issues you observed can be rectified easily. I suggest make list of issue and take print out and hand it over to SA during first service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Dont worry about those initial niggles, inform the same to your service advisors, and all will be taken care.
Believe it or not, it is TRUE. All niggles were attended and taken care. 10/10 for those guys.

Mahendran also found a new issue which I thought was normal, but he needs one whole day to root cause and fix, so vehicle is going back tomorrow.
The issue is that one can hear a 'thud' sound from the rear while going over uneven surface. The sound is like that of when you keep an unfastened Tire in the back.

Turning radius has been reduced to some extent, helps a lot.

AC Knob is still not smooth. I was told that the co-passenger should not operate it, as the pressure when using the right hand is different from a Driver's left hand, and hence the knob was dysfunctional. Wondered what if I am left hand driver

Paid Rs. 331 for 1st service including 150+tax for nitrogen air for all 5 tires. No, they did not sell it to me, I opted for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
lock your spare wheel and no, one on the zipper openers doesnt hold good. Check below.
Briliant. Will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
For the above problem just switch ON the headlights and switch it OFF that is the only solution and doing it regularly on my King.
It works, thanks for the simple idea.

As for the photos ... will shoot some this weekend.

Planning on getting these to complete the reverse camera system:
1) Amazon.com: XO Vision HTC35 Universal Weatherproof Vehicle Backup Camera with Easy Installation and NightVision: Electronics
2) Amazon.com: Boss BV7340 In-Dash 3.2" DVD/MP3/CD Touchpanel Widescreen Receiver with USB: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2010 at 10:19. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 11:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headlamps - I am concerned of minor cuts or openings needed for 90/100. The last thing I want is the moisture inside the assembly. I have seen that in my Palio, after effect of DIY bulb change...
Same thought. That is why I mentioned in my note below:

Quote:
...If you are inclined, it is actually a DIY. And please, do not let them cut any of the original wiring or make holes in the back cover of your headlamp; the alteration can be done without doing either one of it. And also, if wiring cut or hole made to the cover, the warranty goes out the window.
I am dead against any form of cutting of the lamp covers, which is the regular route taken by the installers. If this is done and you get moisture, no way you will get a warranty replacement of the headlight. I had on of my headlight replaced due to moisture formation.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 14:20   #22
BHPian

Congrats Mahesh. Good to see you already crossed 1000 and did first service. Mine is due this week. Will soon start my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

Gowda saab, please explain. The follow me lights come on after I lock.
Should I unlock and switch on/ off? What happens when I lock again?

Quote:
I should change the floor mats, mine is slippery.

I am not happy with the carpeting either. Attracts too much of dirt.

AC Knob is still not smooth. ..

Same here.

Planning on getting these to complete the reverse camera system:
1) Amazon.com: XO Vision HTC35 Universal Weatherproof Vehicle Backup Camera with Easy Installation and NightVision: Electronics
2) Amazon.com: Boss BV7340 In-Dash 3.2" DVD/MP3/CD Touchpanel Widescreen Receiver with USB: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more
For the reverse camera, what is your plan? I have my doubts because wiring needs to be done for the camera and I dont want third party to open and fix it.

Have you considered GPS + Reverse camera? MapmyIndia has Vx 140 (costs 16,000/-) that comes with a free reverse camera. Thoughts?

Last edited by druva : 27th October 2010 at 14:22.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 17:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gowda saab, please explain. The follow me lights come on after I lock.
Should I unlock and switch on/ off? What happens when I lock again?

Druva, all you need to do is once the key is removed from the lock cylinder and any door is opened, the headlamp comes on, once this happens, just switch on and switch off parking lights, the headlamps go off, you can then lock the car and the headlights will not come back on.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 17:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Druva, all you need to do is once the key is removed from the lock cylinder and any door is opened, the headlamp comes on, once this happens, just switch on and switch off parking lights, the headlamps go off, you can then lock the car and the headlights will not come back on.
In my LX I am doing Lock - Unlock - Lock to switch off headlights.

Please try this combination.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 17:22   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Lukey you hit the bullseye and Dhruva please follow the above and your problem is sorted.

Quote:

It works, thanks for the simple idea.
Carry on sgmitr13 and start ploughing your own roads.

Last edited by gowda79 : 27th October 2010 at 17:29.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 17:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

For the follow-me-home light, I follow a very simple method: just ignore it for 30 seconds!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Thats an awesome beast! I'm waiting for some cash to flow in so that i can get my hands on the new Tata Aria. Just have to wait a month for it to happen! I love Safaris in Pearl White. If you put that flag post thing in front and a red light on top, no one will have the guts to qustion you whether the red light is legal!
aveoman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 20:09   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
19) Dead Pedal - I miss it terribly. It has a great use, wonder why such simple ideas are not implemented.

21) Remote Fuel flap openner - Will not operate with ignition key off. This should be always powered, saves me a trip back to the console.

24) Follow-me-home light - Would like TML to sense a third press of the button to turn off the lights. Helps in parking lots without getting attention from the courteous attendants.
19 - There shouldnt be a need for "dead pedal" due to its height and huge foot-well space. At least, I didnt miss in my few thousand highway KMs. Btw, I had ankle problems while driving my Marina which so far, didnt occur back since I started driving Safari [the past 8 months] - TOUCHWOOD.

21 - Open the rear/trunk door and to your left, there will be a small plastic lid/opener and inside that, you will find a tag to pull that will open your fuel lid mechanically/manually.

24 - After you close down all the doors, press the unlock button on your remote once and lock again. "Follow me light" will be OFF then.

Good luck on more findings and safe driving

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
In my LX I am doing Lock - Unlock - Lock to switch off headlights.
Even better. Nice. I wish it could give a short honk when locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Thats an awesome beast! I love Safaris in Pearl White. If you put that flag post thing in front and a red light on top, no one will have the guts to qustion you whether the red light is legal!
Thanks. I love the cars in its whites. Did that beacon stuff on my white palio on few occasions (legally though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
19 - There shouldnt be a need for "dead pedal" due to its height and huge foot-well space.

Good luck on more findings and safe driving
How you guys sit up right while driving? Use the hand rest?

BTW, did another 1400 kms last weekend and here are few more observations:

25) I was surprised to see the intermittent wiper settings. But it is bit harder to operate.

26) Yesterday, on my way back to Bangalore, turned on 4H on a heavy pour in Krishnagiri ghats. Normal operation, no quirks. Able to still cruise at 80 kmph.

27) Oil lamp suddenly came ON during my onward journey. Was quite concerned, but after a stop-start, it went off. Just like the ABS lights.

28) I hear a whistling sound from my ride side when gradually raising the speed. It comes like every 2 mins.

29) That 'thud' sound re-appeared after the supposed fix. I think it is endemic. Folks please confirm. One could hear this sound when going over a bump.

30) Awesome pick-up, steering feedback, road presence. All in all, a true VFM.

31) Need a left side bonnet mirror just like the Fortuner.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:21   #30
BHPian

Few Photos from the past 2 weeks.

I don't know yet how to add captions for each photo
Attached Thumbnails
At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-img_3807-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-img_3813-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp1991-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-img_3904-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-img_3911-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp2000-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp1999-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp1998-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp2001-large.jpg  

At last it happened on the 18th Oct - Tata Safari GX 4x4 PW-imgp1996-large.jpg  

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 2nd November 2010 at 18:26. Reason: captions?