Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th August 2011, 11:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fifth Fiat, Second Linea, First TJet

Thanks for that review Vinay.

Frankly I find the acceleration satisfactory, would not call it mind-blowing yet (and I do push the car hard).

But the handling, braking and steering completely make up for anything, and in fact offer even greater pleasure than straight-line ability. What the car can do on a long, bumpy Gurgaon highway 90 degree bend is fairly amazing for a car under 10L. In fact unless you look at the speedo you don't realise what you're doing is insane, the car imbibes a lot of confidence in the driver.

I'm also planning on my 3K service this week (6mo - I know, I know) and wanted to go for an oil change. What brand/type did you end up using?

My floor mats are still in one piece, but the drivers side mat has a hole where I normally rest my clutch foot.

The bad thing is a lot of rattles have developed in the car. Frankly looking at the state of roads in Gurgaon I wouldn't blame the car only, but hoped it would hold together a little better.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 12:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review Vinay. It was quite informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post

The not so good things

2. The turbo lag is sometime annoying, although if you engage the proper gears, this issue is sorted out. While the creeping speeds are fine and it doesnt bother, what bothers is accelaration is slow speeds before the turbo kicks in - say in city overtaking manouveres.
I still don't find T-Jet's turbo lag as perceptible as in some diesel turbo cars, barring the Vento TDI where I found almost no lag

Quote:
3. I have not used the voice activated function of the blue-n-me, so i dont know how good or bad it is.
I use it to showoff if some friends are in the car, and it lets me down most of the times Half the times, it says command was not recognized. Sometimes it ends up dialing someone else's number (blame our complex indian names)

Quote:
5. The carpets given by the dealer (the linea carpets, and not the rubber mats) are terrible. The driver side carpet has a rubber portion in the centre, which has come off in about 4 months and is of very poor quality.
+1 to this. I would have preferred the waterproof rubber ones any day. The ones in the Tjet are not even washable. This becomes a real problem if we step in with mud and slush on our shoes. Anyone who used rubber mats in the Linea? Please suggest some good brands for the entire set

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Thanks for that review Vinay.

Frankly I find the acceleration satisfactory, would not call it mind-blowing yet (and I do push the car hard).
Well, I had a 100bhp (on paper) Accent 1.6 before the T-Jet (supposedly performance version of accent ) and man, that was a slouch compared to this monster! For me, this is still mind blowing *LOL*

Quote:
I'm also planning on my 3K service this week (6mo - I know, I know) and wanted to go for an oil change. What brand/type did you end up using?

The bad thing is a lot of rattles have developed in the car. Frankly looking at the state of roads in Gurgaon I wouldn't blame the car only, but hoped it would hold together a little better.
@cranky Are you getting it serviced for the first time? I have clocked 900 km on the odo and I was thinking of going for an oil change at 1000km before the first service at 5k km. The first service coupon says 5000km / 6 months but isn't that too long to wait for a first service? How early did you other t-jetters get your first service done?

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th August 2011 at 12:37.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 12:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks for the review Vinay. It was quite informative.

@cranky Are you getting it serviced for the first time? I have clocked 900 km on the odo and I was thinking of going for an oil change at 1000km before the first service at 5k km. The first service coupon says 5000km / 6 months but isn't that too long to wait for a first service? How early did you other t-jetters get your first service done?

Karthikk, the first "check up" happens at 3k kms. they dont take a voucher for this though. Thereafter they have the service intervals set.

On the oil change, i got my synthetic oil from the dealer itself, the Selenia by default which is the Fiat's engine oil for all their cars, both here and in Europe.
vinay_ss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 12:54   #34
BHPian

Was wondering if Syntium would be a better bet?

@karthik the official word is 5k/6 mo for first service and 1st fluid change @15k but I guess 3k/6mo is fine for first oil change anyway. Car seems to be fine but there's no harm changing it. Selenia is definitely a good fluid but was wondering if the extra one puts down for Syntium wouldn't be a bit better.

Edit: @Karthik - on the acceleration, I was easily able to keep up with and later show a clean pair of heels to the older Verna 100bhp, with just a tiny little 1.4L Opel Corsa. The poor Hyundai was struggling with the wet road and crosswinds, whereas the Corsa was stable (not rock-solid like the T-Jet, but enough to keep it on the road in the high triple digits). HP figure on its own may not mean much in real driving conditions.

Last edited by cranky : 27th August 2011 at 13:09.
cranky is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 13:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

@vinay and @cranky - thanks for clarifying the service schedule part. Selenia seems to be the company recommended oil, if I remember correctly from reading the owner's manual. No idea about Petronas Syntium, how much does that cost? I was using Mobil1 in my accent. Any t-jetters who used mobil recently?
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 16:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Selenia by default which is the Fiat's engine oil for all their cars
Just discovered that Selenia is not a Petronas product at all. Shouldve guessed.

Sub to Syntium by the auth center seems unlikely, will get the oil changed outside then.
Old 28th August 2011, 16:54   #37
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Just discovered that Selenia is not a Petronas product at all. Shouldve guessed.
I have a 4-litre can of Selenia K engine oil [spare] whose labels have Petronas printed on them.
Fifth Fiat, Second Linea, First TJet-image0014.jpgFifth Fiat, Second Linea, First TJet-image0015.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:09   #38
BHPian

It's a Petronas-owned brand, not a product of Petronas

Selenia is an Italian manufacturer which was bought out by Petronas. Not really the same thing.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:29   #39
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
It's a Petronas-owned brand, not a product of Petronas
Selenia is a product of PETRONAS Lubricants International and manufactured by PETRONAS Marketing [India] Pvt. Ltd.
Fifth Fiat, Second Linea, First TJet-dsc04400.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:36   #40
BHPian

See:

PETRONAS Lubricants International - Malaysia | LinkedIn

Selenia was started by Fiat as their own and owned lubes division.

AFAIK, Indian lube 'manufacturers' don't manufacture synthetic oils, it's only the distillation that is done in the country. The stock and additives are all imported. Refining in India is limited to organic bases, so the thicker, mineral based oils may be possible to make in the country.

But that technically counts as manufacture, so the label may be accurate.

Selenia has been around a lot longer than Petronas. Petronas Syntium may be anyway a better choice.

http://www.flselenia.co.uk/content/view/16/21/

Quote:
The company was established in1912 as part of FIAT's lubricant division with the aim of manufacturing "first fill" lubricants for all FIAT vehicles. FL entered the Italian market in 1929 with widespread distribution over the Italian territory.

Last edited by cranky : 28th August 2011 at 19:38.
Old 28th August 2011, 19:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Selenia is originally the lubricant branch of FIAT group itself, and it was so till probably 4-5 years back, when it was bought out by Petronas group.

As for the Selenia oil we get, it is most probably made in Petronas's facilities somewhere in Malaysia or some other Asian country, and then shipped to India. As far as I know, Petronas is not present as a manufacturer of petrochemicals in India, only as a marketer.

I would be very surprised if the Selenia oil is manufactured in Selenia's facilites in Europe or Brazil, where FIAT is a considerable player in the automobile market.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 07:55   #42
BHPian

Its now been 15 months for the Tjet and 36k on the odometer. A quick summary of the ownership experience.

With the honeymoon period over long ago, i sit back and realise how much i am still completely in love with the car and with every passing day, it only increases. Ironically as it may sound, the Tjet took a hit on its first birthday - when the car took a hit on the boot against a tree, when being reversed out by my wife. She finds the clutch too sharp (She drives the Fiat Adventure) and the car jumped the moment she started it and let her feet ease up on the clutch.

Got the boot repainted from Prerna Motors (they have done a decent job) and got it under insurance.

Other replacements /maintenance -

1. 3 alloys (2 of them had developed minor bends while 1 had taken a bad hit on a pothole and was badly damaged). cost - Approx 35k

2. No other replacements.

3. Regular repairs/service experience - has been really good. I get it done at Prerna Motors workshop.

4. Tyres - I think the stock Good Year NCT 5 tyres would go for another 5-7k kms and i would need to replace. To me, it appears to be on the lower side, considering that for my Adventure, the Yokos A Drives lasted well above 50k. The cost of the 16 inchers came as a big surprise to me - approx Rs 8k each !

5. Fuel consumption - it doesnt matter to me, but for those who track statistics, i consistently get 10 to 10.5 in Bangalore city with AC. Highway runs are all about how hard i drive. Its ranged from 9.5 to 16.5 !

To summarise, its a love story with the Fiats that is continuing, and i for one have absolutely nothing to crib about. Me and my wife currently drive the most enviable and in my view, the best fiats that have been sold in India - the Tjet and the Adventure 1.6 !
vinay_ss is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

^^^

Nice to hear from you that you're enjoying the T-Jet the right way.

Do you still have the damaged alloys and are the alloys very badly bent that they're not worth repairing? The reason I ask you is that one of our alloys had got bent and we got it repaired for <1k. The best thing is we're yet to face even a minute issue after repairing.

And how about doing a photo-shoot of your's and your wife's car and share the images here?
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote