Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st November 2010, 07:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

I am so pleased with the petrol i20 Asta I bought last year, notwithstanding its some what gutless engine, that I decided to upgrade my wife's car from a Spark to the new i10. The Spark is a fine little car, but it now feels a tad low rent, a tad underpowered, and a tad cramped! A new i10 would address all of the above very well, I think, while still remaining the car for city traffic/parking, and Hyundai build quality/reliability at this time is the best in India in this segment. Largely due to the fact that Hyundai makes these two cars only in India for the world.

My daughter who has a business, and has used a 1.6 Ikon for the last few years, also got herself a new i10, though she chose the Sportz trim to save almost Rs 90k over the Asta version I have booked. She will not need to take the car intercity and since she is an expert driver, knows how to drive a non ABS car. And if one can live without ABS+airbags, the Sportz trim is really the best of the packages from a VFM perspective, once one is ok with paying the higher price that an i10 carries, generally speaking. She is over the moon with just what a slick driving experience the new car provides and the fit and finish inside. She is also totally fed up with the Ford service experience and is now looking to less stressful times on that count!

Our car should be in our hands in a few days, and I will write a quick report once I have driven the car.

I got the car the day before Diwali, and just before leaving for a business trip from which I have to still return, so for now here are just some phone cam pictures and a quick report based on just 30 kms or so of driving.

When I bought the i 20, I was looking for a hatch that was well appointed inside with all the conveniences, that I can also use for occasional highway drives, and one year down the line I am a very satisfied Hyundai customer.
Driving the i 10 asta, I thing it is perhaps an even better car from one point of view - of being a well finished, well appointed, reasonably spacious city hatch. With larger section tyres it will also do well on Indian highways, I think. The engine in the car, that same as the one in that i20 with VTVT tech now bolted on to it, does very well in the smaller car, while a combination of gearing and extra weight in the 20, gives that car the well known gutless feeling. I really don't mind that, and neither, it seems do some 7000 Indians every month that buy the car, but now that I have driven the i10, it feels a lot more fun to drive. And there is no clunk from the front suspension, the car feels very well screwed together, even with a ride that is on the firmer side. Fit and finish inside the car is very good, as good as the car is ugly from the outside - the last part very visible in the pictures! But then, when one is sitting inside the car, why does that matter?
As far as bells and whistles are concerned, all it lacks compared to the high end 20 is climate control, electrically folding mirrors, and alloy wheels. In fact it has some things the 20 does not - like heated ORVMs that can be very useful in the rains.
All in all, an excellent little car.
Attached Thumbnails
New i10 asta with kappa2 on its way-img00165201011031442.jpg  

New i10 asta with kappa2 on its way-img00167201011031443.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th February 2011 at 10:35. Reason: Combining back to back posts to make them easier to read.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 12:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sawyer! Very sensible hatch and great city run-about! In it's latest avatar it looks a lot more macho too

Did you opt for the sun-roof?

Looking forward to more pics and experiences!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Did you opt for the sun-roof?
Sunroof?? In India, with our heat and dust?? No way, our efforts in India are to keep the environment out of the car, all the time!!
Old 9th November 2010, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Congrats Sawyer for your new car. I am contemplating on changing my 10 year old Santro LS with the new i10. Apart from the features, how different do you feel is the driving experience in terms of engine revs and handling? I really havent had a chance to check out the i10 as a driver, so your view would be interesting to consider.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 13:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I am contemplating on changing my 10 year old Santro LS with the new i10. Apart from the features, how different do you feel is the driving experience in terms of engine revs and handling?

Prajwal
If your needs from a car in terms of where you drive and how many people you carry have not changed much in ten years, the i 10 is the perfect new car for you. The old i 10 itself is a car that is at least 2 generations advanced over the mid nineties engineered Santro, and the difference is very visible in everything about it - a much better car in every way you can think of. The new i 10 is just a tweak, but with some welcome improvements to the engine, so be sure you get the kappa2 powered version, regardless of the trim level you choose.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:56   #6
BHPian

Wel my needs havent changed much anyway. The girlfriend i used to ferry around got converted into a wife, so even the persons havent changed either. I do a fair bit of long drives and I stick to my motorcycle for most in-city travels (I just hate the traffic jams in this Traffic-Jam-uluru city).

The hyundai showroom is just a short walk away from my office, so I'll take a test drive and check out the difference.

Thanks for your input.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
since she is an expert driver, knows how to drive a non ABS car.
There is nothing like "knowing how to drive a non-ABS car". ABS or non-ABS cars drive the same. It is better to think of ABS as a safety feature than a driver aid.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on new purchase. I am sure you would have considered AT option & would have valid reasons for not going for it.

Now that you have same engine(more or less same) in two cars, would wait for your detailed analysis once you add more miles on i10.

Colour choice: how come you choose car colour other than white this time?
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I am sure you would have considered AT option & would have valid reasons for not going for it.

Now that you have same engine(more or less same) in two cars, would wait for your detailed analysis once you add more miles on i10.

Colour choice: how come you choose car colour other than white this time?
Where I stay and where the car gets used, AT is not a must, and the loss of up to 25% FE is not worth it. Regarding the engine, the i 10 is the correct car for the engine, not a doubt about that, it works very well in it. It also works for me in the 20 because most of the time I am the only person in the car and for inter city, with just an overnight bag, so the underpowered part of the car does not jump out so much.
As for the colour, I did not choose it!
Old 9th November 2010, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition

One quick question? How/when the ORVM Defogger works/in action?

Is it through by pressing the front defogger switch / Rear defogger switch / or any separate switch.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 08:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

Is it through by pressing the front defogger switch / Rear defogger switch / or any separate switch.
Once I find out I will let you know, I suspect there would be a separate switch.
Old 11th November 2010, 10:12   #12
BHPian

Hi mate, congrats on your new purchase. I've booked an i10 sportz. Waiting to get it in my grubby hands. One query though, what tyres come as the stock option? And are they worth going the distance, or do i have to change them?
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sawyer for getting yet another new car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
There is nothing like "knowing how to drive a non-ABS car". ABS or non-ABS cars drive the same. It is better to think of ABS as a safety feature than a driver aid.
There is something - it is knowing how to brake (pump it in a non ABS car vs brake-and-swerve-ABS-takes-care in an ABS equipped car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Where I stay and where the car gets used, AT is not a must, and the loss of up to 25% FE is not worth it. Regarding the engine, the i 10 is the correct car for the engine, not a doubt about that, it works very well in it. It also works for me in the 20 because most of the time I am the only person in the car and for inter city, with just an overnight bag, so the underpowered part of the car does not jump out so much.
As for the colour, I did not choose it!
No question for the engine! I have a weak side for the AT as I drive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

There is a separate switch for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Hi mate, congrats on your new purchase. I've booked an i10 sportz. Waiting to get it in my grubby hands. One query though, what tyres come as the stock option? And are they worth going the distance, or do i have to change them?
The stock tire is 155/80R13 - and falls woefully short in matching the excellent engine for its power. Upgrade is a must if one travels on highways or does triple digit speeds (consider 175/70R13 or 185/60R14)
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 07:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

There is something - it is knowing how to brake (pump it in a non ABS car vs brake-and-swerve-ABS-takes-care in an ABS equipped car).

The stock tire is 155/80R13 - and falls woefully short in matching the excellent engine for its power. Upgrade is a must if one travels on highways or does triple digit speeds (consider 175/70R13 or 185/60R14)
I agree with the ABS comment fully. In fact, for the plain vanilla systems, I still believe that a skillful driver can bring a car to a halt quicker in a non ABS car. The other thing about ABS is that the fact that one knows it is there can engender some carelessness in driving styles.
Yes the tyres are thin, and look so as well. But I was lucky to get a car with Bridgestone rubber, were they MRFs that are harder compounds, it would have been tricky. Tricky because upsizing to just the 165 section does not add much, and more needs a change of wheels. I think if they were MRF, I would have changed to same size Michelins. So, since the car will be used in the city, I shall stay with the OE tyres and reap the benefit of reduced load on the steering gear and the better FE.
I am afraid I haven't much more to report, I haven't driven the car a lot, but whenever I do, it reconfirms the first impression of being a fine little car, well worth the premium Hyundai charges for it. For Rs 90k less, the Sportz is probably the much better deal, but if one has a little more to spend, the fully loaded Asta is also a good car. It drives well, and is a much better alternative to the Swift as a city car. For all its virtues, the Swift feels low rent and claustrophobic inside, it rattles way too early, and is bigger outside that it needs to be for the space it provides on the inside. The i 10, especially in the newer more interior mature color scheme, and the engine tweak feels like a much better place to be inside. And will probably squeeze into gaps and parking places that would keep a Swift out. And Hyundai service is just as good as Maruti, perhaps better in some parts of the country. It is easy to see why it is selling in the large numbers it does.
The one concern is the ORVMs that stick out a mile from the bodywork and are a target for others on the road, especially two wheelers. Powered folding ones would have been nice, even nicer would be some innovation that allows for the view they provide without having them stick out so from the car body.

Last edited by Sawyer : 20th November 2010 at 07:14.
Old 6th January 2011, 06:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyundai manipulating owner's manual?

I took the car for the first service and as I do regardless of the manufacturer recommendation that this is not needed, I got the oil changed at 1100 kms. This led to some interesting findings, that I need to formally take up with Hyundai.
The manual of the i20 I bought last year specifies that the engine oil should be either SL or SM grade. The i 10 manual that came with the car specifies only SM grade, perhaps given that this car now has an upgraded engine, the kappa2. Knowing that the Hyundai supplied oil from the dealers is Servo of SJ grade, I took along the required quantity of Castrol Magnatec in SM grade.
I got the car back with the bill, bearing a remark that oil supplied by the owner was used, and since this was not official Hyundai oil, this may result in losing warranty protection.
When I went to the service manager to explain how I am in fact doing the owner's manual prescribed thing, and they are the ones violating this by using SJ, the service manager heard me out politely, but said he is following Hyundai processes, using oil supplied by Hyundai and putting such comments on the bill. Which is probably the case, so this is really a Hyundai problem.
While I was waiting for the car to be washed, said gentleman walks up to me with the manual of a i10 under delivery and shows me that the manual allows oil in SL or SM grade. And in the viscosity chart, even mentions SJ to be acceptable. I heard him out equally politely, because my manual was at home.
At home I find that my manual is a different version, and does not allow SL or, under the viscosity table,SJ. In both places it states SM as the only recommended oil grade.
Does this mean that Hyundai have pulled the stunt of changing their manual to allow the continued use of SJ by their dealerships? And what action do I have to take to void the warranty loss notice they have sent to me, by giving me a bill that contains this remark?
Anyone here knows the email addresses of the senior most Hyundai India executives?
Other than this, the car is doing fine, and is boringly reliable and unexciting. Which is what most Indian that buy the i 10 as a commuting tool need it to be, so that is fair enough, and which is why it is selling in such large numbers.