Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th November 2010, 02:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
@milecruncher: The safari fan following is increasing day by day here at tbhp. I m beginning to think that its everyones dream vehicle at one point of time or the other :P and I would be surprised if safari was not a dream vehicle for any person.
To be honest it never was for me. It did crop in our buying discussions and we did a few TD's as well but it never cut-it.

The only vehicle from present lot in the TATA stable that I dream about is the Xenon. And I yes I know am different
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 02:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the buy,and time to make your own road! True to their reputation, your friendly neighbourhood Tata dealer did not disappoint you. When will they learn?

I have been reading here that the 2010 Safaris have been relatively trouble free at least on delivery but the broken grille just harks back to the same old stories.

It's a pity that Haryana does not have an online registration system like Delhi. One rarely needs a temporary number out here, and registration is handled on the day of delivery itself by most dealers within an hour or so.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 10:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Congratulations on the buy,and time to make your own road! True to their reputation, your friendly neighbourhood Tata dealer did not disappoint you. When will they learn?

I have been reading here that the 2010 Safaris have been relatively trouble free at least on delivery but the broken grille just harks back to the same old stories.

It's a pity that Haryana does not have an online registration system like Delhi. One rarely needs a temporary number out here, and registration is handled on the day of delivery itself by most dealers within an hour or so.
The Broken Grill is only a part of the story, I am trying to put my entire Buying ordeal shortly,

BTW, I only paid about 12250 as Road Tax/Registration Charges (Including Temp Regn) for the Safari in Gurgaon. Had I registered in Delhi, I would have ended up paying more than 70K. I wouldn't mind driving a Temp Regd car for few days for saving about 60K.
shantanumishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 10:12   #19
BHPian

Default The Troublefree(?) start

From 28th Oct, began my Urban Safari,

I went to the dealership in the morning, completed all the other documentation, collected all the bills/receipts/handed over the Registration Forms to him and also informed the GM to book an appointment on Saturday, 30 Oct for the pending work, In the next 2 days Following work was identified by me that I intended to get completed over the weekend,

1. Broken Grill Replacement,
2. Front Right Inner Fender Lining Replacement,
3. Fog Lamp Fitment,
4. Central Locking Fitment,
5. Seat Covers,
6. Door Wind Visors,
7. ICE,
8. Engine Missing (like dying out for a second) at around 1600-1800 rpm while in 2nd/3rd Gear.

I think I had overestimated Tata Service and the above seemed too much for their appetite,

I visited the Dearlership on Saturday morning and had a very rough and long wait just to get a confirmation that they had a Replacement Grill Replacement available in stock, Finally after a long tussle, I could leave for the Service Centre only around 1 PM,

I reached the Service Centre and met the Service head, He was a nice guy to start with and attended me swiftly and professionally, he listened to all my complaints patiently and himself took charge of my vehicle rather than assigning to some Service Advisor. I was happy till this time that I had atleast some good person to deal with this dealership.

The work started and it took more than 4 hours for them to just replace the Grill and the Inner Fender Lining, I was . The actual work time was only 1 hour and the rest was just an endless wait.

However, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise and it opened a pandora of boxes for the dealer's plight.
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:03   #20
BHPian

Default Final Nail in the Coffin for the Dealer

At the time of purchase, I had been provided the following things in writing by the salesman of the Dealership,

1. Tata Minda Central Locking - 5000 INR
2. OE Front Fog Lamps + OE Switch Panel - 4000 INR
3. 5 nos. OE Alloy Wheels with swapping of older Steel Wheels - 16000 INR
4. OE Reverse Camera as in VX - 8000 INR

I was pretty happy about the above prices and had almost decided on getting the above fitted, I had some 13K as the excess payment with the dealer and wanted to utilise the same.

On my first visit to the Service Centre, I had plans to get the Fog Lamps Installed, however, to my horror, the Service Advisor outrightly refused saying that the Cost of the OE Front Fog Lamps alongwith the Central Switch Panel is 6681 (Taxes Extra) to them and in no way they can give this to me for 4K. I Immediately rang up the salesman in front of the service head but as usual, he did not answer my call (He had not been picking up my phone from Day one of the booking and I knew he wont pick up now).

I then asked the service advisor to call the salesman and guess what the phone was answered just after 2 rings. The service Head asked the salesman and he confirmed the above prices were given to me. However, the service head was clear that he could not give me the Fog Lamps at the promised prices. I clearly told the Service Head that in case, this might be my last visit to their service centre and I had done a grave mistake by picking this car from that dealership. He asked me to give him 2-3 days within which he will speak to the GM and get this mess sorted out.

I knew based on my previous experience that he will never call me back and I had decided not to come to this dealer for any work in the future.

Well, this was on 30 Oct and I did not get any call until 10 November, Meanwhile Diwali passed and I started again to get the beast completely dressed up, I picked up the Tata Minda Central Locking from the dealer adjusting 5K, Even for this I had to literally fight as the MRP was about 5600 and the salesman had wrongly quoted in order to win my sale.

I got the Central locking fitted on Sunday thru authorised Minda Personal at my home, I had no more Energy or Patience left for the dealer or the salesman and did not wanted to visit them for anything.

I had decided that enoughw as enough and asked the Dealer to return my excess amount for about 7300 (I picked up Transparent Mats for about 700 from him), I had to literally beg him for the excess amount and the same returned about 15 days later and I finally got the cheque for the balance on 18 Nov.

For all the inconveinence caused due the dealer apathy, I decided not to give him my Employee Verification letter which would have entitled him for claiming the Corporate Discount worth 5K from Tata Motors (I had already taken this discount), although I still think 5K is a lot less amount for all the trouble that I had taken in last 3 weeks dealing with the dealer. Also, I filed all the Inital Discussion Documents in a folder for future references (Just in case).
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:16   #21
BHPian

Default Dressing up the Beast

I have got the following Accesories Installed till now,

1. OE Tata Minda Central Locking.
2. OE Front Fog Lamps with normal Switch in place of 4X4 selector.
3. Art Leather Seat Covers.
4. Galio Door Wind Visors.
5. Pioneer 4050 UB (from my earlier car), I really like this HU primarily because the USB option is in the Glove box and not on the Front.
6. JBL GTO-608C in the Front.
7. Sony 3 way Speakers in the Rear Doors.
8. Hella 90/100W Front Headlight Bulbs with Relay.

The following are in the pipeline (Currently Accumulating Vitamin M for these).

1. Front Bull Guard, I am looking for something good from Highlander variety with an option to put Hella 3003s.
2. Rear Roof AC - OE Tata.
3. Rear Refrigrator.
4. Tata approved Garware Sunfilm.
5. Reverse Camera.
6. Alloy Wheels (Preferably Tata OE).

Coming Up Next, Cruising the Beast to its First Service. Updated Pics would be posted with the First service details.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:44   #22
BHPian

Default Some Random Pics

Exterior Pics

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-28102010850.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-28102010851.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_1990.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_1994.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2031.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2027.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_1993.jpg
Old 29th November 2010, 09:52   #23
BHPian

Default Interior Pics

Interior Pics
2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2008.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2018.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2014.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2009.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2013.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2010.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2012.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2019.jpg

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-img_2021.jpg
Old 29th November 2010, 10:16   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Good job Mishra. Looks awesome, especially, I like the interior
I think, the only thing that you would need to do is paint the bumper/cladding portion to match up GX like Anuj [hope I got the name right] from Bangalore did it recently.

Nice one - Enjoy the Safari !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 14:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Good job Mishra. Looks awesome, especially, I like the interior
I think, the only thing that you would need to do is paint the bumper/cladding portion to match up GX like Anuj [hope I got the name right] from Bangalore did it recently.

Nice one - Enjoy the Safari !

Prem.
Thanks Prem, Yes, I was already inspired by anujmishra on this, planning to do the same, just waiting for some more money in order to get the Cladding painted, Hiker Front Nudge Guard fitted alongwith Hella 3003 Rally Lamps.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:46   #26
BHPian

Default 4000Km Update

It has been a long time that I have been missing from this forum and this thread. Well, have been quite overly busy all these days.

To move ahead, the first service was done in mid-November at around 1400 KMs and was a quick affair. I had very little time and hence skipped the washing procedures at that time. The first service cost was Zero and I paid around 3661 rupees for the Tata OE Fog Lamp Fitment.

In addition to this, I also got the Headlamps upgraded to Hella 90/100W alongwith a Relay and paid around 1400 for the same and am pretty happy with their performance. They have resulted in the lights of my WagonR and Altis going pale.

BTW, 1 Strange Incident happened during the first week of purchase, While removing the Plastic covers inside the car, The Sunvisor lock on the passenger side broke (Read Extremely poor Tata Quality), and I had to spend 450 bucks to get the entire left sunshade assembly replaced.

Lessons Learnt : Sunshades usage is now zero lest the lock breaks again, it is of very flimsy quality.
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:04   #27
BHPian

Default 2000 Kms of pure Driving Nirvana

December Second Week starts off with a bang and my 2000 Kms of stint with pure Driving Nirvana comes alive.

I went on a road trip to Lucknow to attend some mandate family functions and as expected chose Beastness of Safari over the beauty of Altis.

We chose the familiar Delhi-Agra-Kanpur-Lucknow route and started pretty early at around 5:30 AM so as to reach Lucknow by 5 PM.

All was well and we quickly reached Kanpur in less than 7 hours. Pretty Smooth sailing considering we never crossed 120 KMPH and took a lot of breaks. The last leg of this journey from Kanpur to Lucknow is about 80 KM and normally takes about 2.5~3 hours because of horrendous Kanpur traffic.

We started from Kanpur at around 2:15 pm and everything was sailing smoothly until we reached Nawaabganj where we found a massive traffic jam. It took us more than 1 hour to cross this stretch of less than 1 KM (read on NH). A Oil Tanker containing Diesel had turned turtle leaving massive Diesel Spillage on both sides of the NH, I found my bikes and cars skidding because they forgot of simple logic of not applying hard braking while on the OIL. Cautiously we stread out and began the journey.

Within next 10 Kms, my driver decided to take the road into his own stride and tried to overtake a truck without taking account of the width of the Safari and there went my LHS Rear View Mirror gathering dust on the road. I was really furious and wanted to of my driver but just kept my cool becuase of my wife and mom present there. My first Casualty on the road and my dream was now left with one sore eye. Everyone in the car knew that there was no space to overtake the truck and the truck driver himself was waving his hand to stop us but only God and my driver knew what hell was going thru his mind. Incidently the truck driver was very apologetic and his face was showing real pain in seeing my beautiful beast with broken ORVM, but as usual my driver was unapologitic and showed no signs of remorse.

We continued our journey as had no choice and reached Lucknow by 6 in the evening with sadness filled mind baggages.
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:31   #28
BHPian

Default The Repair and the rest of the week

The ORVM incident happened on 5th Dec while coming from Gurgaon to Lucknow and had left me with a lot of grief, I somehow kept quite over the night, but on 6th morning, I could not stand it and asked my driver to leave for his hometown for some days and return by 11 evening as we were planning to return on 12 Morning.

Later in the day, I went to Tata Service on Ring Road, Aliganj and got the LHS ORVM replaced. I paid around 4400 for the complete LHS assembly and the labour. However, the service centre only had the VX ORVM (chrome ones) although mine were the Black painted LX ones. It was looking good and hence I paid another 100 Rs to the service personal and got him to change the cover on the RHS one to chrome as well.

My Safari now had chrome VX ORVM mirrors, albiet by paying 4500. See the pic below taken at Sangam Allahabad (another story, will come later)

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-101_1792.jpg
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:42   #29
BHPian

Default Re: 2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX - The Beast Finds a New Den

Sorry to hear about the LHS ORVM mishap but well, you ended up with nice chrome ones. :-)

Your number plate looks unique, I like the font! And seat covers look good too. I'm yet to get seat covers fitted due to lack of time... phew.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:53   #30
BHPian

Default Re: 2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX - The Beast Finds a New Den

Great Thread! Glad your enjoying the Safari. Ive got a 2004 TCIC 4*4,done 130,000kms so far and loving every day with it.

Quick question, really liked your Art Leather Seat Covers. What brand are they from?

Thanks
ab500 is offline   Reply With Quote