Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 18:37   #136
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I agree, more power would be very much welcome in ARIA. Probably that is one of the areas where TML looked for some savings.
I think the smaller engine is more for better FE than lower cost. You can always get away with expensive vehicle tag in India, but not with low FE tag.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 01:27   #137
BHPian
 
gshanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore / Bangalore / New York
Posts: 718
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I think the smaller engine is more for better FE than lower cost. You can always get away with expensive vehicle tag in India, but not with low FE tag.
When I said more power, I didn't necessarily mean less fuel economy. There are smaller engines with more power and more fuel economy like the FIAT 1.9 or TML could have invested in a new engine for ARIA. IMO TML saved money by improving the 2.2 Dicor instead of spending money on a better engine. However, more power is welcome for ARIA and especially needed for its derivatives like next gen Safari.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 08:07   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

@lobster:

This is what I read in the wiki link you provided, and I read on this thread somewhere that your ARIA does'nt have traction control, does this have any relation to the small problems you were experiencing while in AWD:

From the wiki:

""Because all 4 tires in a full time AWD system are connected by a system of differentials, they are potentially very susceptible to torque reduction when a wheel loses traction. Without sophisticated traction control systems, they would become immobilized when any one of the four tires lost traction.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 12:04   #139
BHPian
 
LobsterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 67 Times
Default First Incident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@lobster:

This is what I read in the wiki link you provided, and I read on this thread somewhere that your ARIA does'nt have traction control, does this have any relation to the small problems you were experiencing while in AWD:

From the wiki:

""Because all 4 tires in a full time AWD system are connected by a system of differentials, they are potentially very susceptible to torque reduction when a wheel loses traction. Without sophisticated traction control systems, they would become immobilized when any one of the four tires lost traction.
Yes, it could very well be.

Btw, I have new things to report

Had come across a big crater(on NH!) with raised edges. So carefully took the front wheels over it avoiding the middle. But while negotiating the next one in front had to turn to left and had to accelerate a bit. Momentarily forgot that the rear wheels still hadn't crossed and were on the edge of the crater. The rear right wheel went down the crater into its middle and the suspension action, I suppose, resulted in a reduced GC - the rear bumper at the right touched the edges. Even though there were only a few hairline scratches on the visible side, it was enough to unhook couple of inches of bumper near rear right wheel cladding (including a part of the wheel cladding). I was not able push it back into place by hand.

Next day morning took it to Concorde Motors. The service center guys needed to refit the bumper and they delivered the vehicle home after a water service as well. Next day morning after running less than a kilometer the ABS and Engine warning light came on with MID reporting "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE". I pulled-up by the side and switched-off the engine and switched it on again and the ABS warning went away. But MID now started alternating between "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" and "ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT" but otherwise everything felt fine. Called up the service center contact person and he offered to send service person to my office with laptop to diagnose.

Continued to office and within an hour the service center guys reached. When I switched it on to take it out of the parking lot all warnings had gone, but the service guys were able to retrieve all these "memorized faults" using their diagnostic software. At their small workshop, inside the stock yard near to my office, they cleaned all ECU connectors and cleared all the errors.

Next day (and today) morning on way to office again the same story but the only difference was that the whole night I was out (but drove only less than 30kms) and had reached home only at 6am. I suspected that the regular morning washing is the immediate trigger and some cover is loose or misplaced somewhere during the bumper refitting. So didn't switch off and switch on (like earlier time) and decided to drive to the service center with the error still on display. Now I felt the meaning(?) of "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" - felt that the engine was rev-limited at around 3K. A few more kms further down the temperature warning light started showing up occasionally, but the temperature gauge was at its normal resting place somewhere close to the middle. But a km or so before service center noticed that the temperature gauge was swaying between min and max, but soon came back to middle position. This reminded me of another T-Bhp-ian's recently reported earthing issue resulting in sensors going haywire.

Vehicle is at the service center now and they are also expecting someone from TML also to arrive today. This is a concise version of the events so far, will update by EOD with the latest!

Last edited by LobsterB : 26th November 2010 at 12:06.
LobsterB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 14:31   #140
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Did the sedimenter hit the road? Maybe its taking in water ?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 16:35   #141
BHPian
 
san2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bharuch
Posts: 140
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

hey lobster
congrats on your purchase
good to see that you are enjoying your experience with Tata
it would be a slap in the face of all the nay sayers of Tata vehicles
btw how would you rate this product when looked in a value for money way
also are you cent percent satisfied with the aria
san2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 17:08   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,297
Thanked: 665 Times
Default

Do you get the car washed by someone or from somewhere in the mornings? I've seen that the washing places in Bangalore tend to "wash" the engine with pressure spray water as well. This is not recommended as this causes shorting.

Just thought this might be a reason. Also, if the engine bay was washed, let it dry out and then do not allow it to be washed again. Can use some air under pressure to try and blow dry the bay. See if that helps?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 17:27   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,528
Thanked: 983 Times
Default

can you share average FE please.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 13:39   #144
BHPian
 
LobsterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

The vehicle is still at the service centre. Got a Safari 3.0 DICOR as loaner vehicle. Apparently a team from plant is coming down tomorrow. Hope to get an update by tomorrow afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did the sedimenter hit the road? Maybe its taking in water ?
No, don't think anything hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
are you cent percent satisfied with the aria
So far, YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Do you get the car washed by someone or from somewhere in the mornings? I've seen that the washing places in Bangalore tend to "wash" the engine with pressure spray water as well. This is not recommended as this causes shorting.

Just thought this might be a reason. Also, if the engine bay was washed, let it dry out and then do not allow it to be washed again. Can use some air under pressure to try and blow dry the bay. See if that helps?
It is usually washed by our layout car wash guy. He uses my garden hose in 'jet' mode, but it still shouldn't have that much pressure.
Engine bay is not washed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
can you share average FE please.
Around 9 in city. Lowest on a full tank, so far, has been 8.6kmpl
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 01:33   #145
BHPian
 
gshanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore / Bangalore / New York
Posts: 718
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Damn. Sorry to hear about this speedbump in your ownership experience. And this also seems to be the first niggle in the initial build quality of ARIA.

If TML is really serious about building the brand ARIA, they should have given you ARIA pride as the loaner and probably do this for all ARIA owners . However, I do hope they resolve your problem soon.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 22:08   #146
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

I don't think there are enough Arias to give out as loaners.

Hope the issue is resolved soon, I get a feeling that it has something to do with the crater hop and subsequent repairs.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 14:29   #147
BHPian
 
LobsterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Vehicle Ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Damn. Sorry to hear about this speedbump in your ownership experience. And this also seems to be the first niggle in the initial build quality of ARIA. However, I do hope they resolve your problem soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Hope the issue is resolved soon, I get a feeling that it has something to do with the crater hop and subsequent repairs.
The final diagnosis seems to be a loose contact on temperature sensor contacts (corrosion?). They were able to reproduce the issue completely(with all those errors) by making that particular sensor open. In fact the first few days of delivery also I had seen that the MID was showing Outside Temperature constantly at 24degrees. But later on some variation (21 and 31) was seen. Hope that both were related and it is free of this issue now.

Btw, while going over that crater (with a high bump at the leading edge) I am reasonably sure that nothing other than the bumper touched. So was wondering how a refit of bumper can cause this behavior.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
If TML is really serious about building the brand ARIA, they should have given you ARIA pride as the loaner and probably do this for all ARIA owners .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I don't think there are enough Arias to give out as loaners.
The loaner vehicle, 3.0 Dicor Safari 4x4, was a pathetically maintained one. If Aria's were not available it even a decent condition Manza would have been better. But this weekend I had to use the extra luggage space in the rear and so a Xenon XT would have been better

Btw, with this issue whatever budget I had for initial niggles is more or less over. So hope to have no further issues on the same lines. But then with so many more sensors around I will still have some reservations...
LobsterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 14:37   #148
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Yes the tempreature sensor issue should not be caused by the rear bumper hit / fitment issue.

Suggest you keep some more patience for future issues. I am mentally kindoff prepared.

Yep a better maintained Manza would have been better, but then maybe compared to the Aria a decently maintained 3.0 dicor seemed to be in poor condition.

Best of luck for the future.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 16:25   #149
BHPian
 
LobsterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes the tempreature sensor issue should not be caused by the rear bumper hit / fitment issue.

Suggest you keep some more patience for future issues. I am mentally kindoff prepared.

Yep a better maintained Manza would have been better, but then maybe compared to the Aria a decently maintained 3.0 dicor seemed to be in poor condition.

Best of luck for the future.
Yes, before the pre-launch booking itself I had told my wife to expect some extended unplanned visits to service center. But with previous NHC/i10 experiences she failed to comprehend that.

Congrats on your Pride. Your ownership thread looks quite promising and comprehensive.
LobsterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 18:53   #150
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 706
Thanked: 752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Yes, before the pre-launch booking itself I had told my wife to expect some extended unplanned visits to service center.
And somebody here told me that there is no bravery involved.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold! ACM Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 322 16th September 2015 15:51
Tata Aria Exterior Grilled: DeINDICAization of the Aria bravo82in Modifications & Accessories 27 26th October 2013 18:33
Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors Zappex Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 149 24th October 2013 21:54
Tata Aria Prestige - Pearl White, Fabric Trim crazycardude198 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 7th February 2012 12:00
Tata Aria Pleasure 4x4 crazycardude198 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 3 17th November 2010 13:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks