Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th January 2011, 14:55   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 3000km First Service Report, Update

ODO shows 3339Km now, 3 days back i called the VST Service station and complained about the below issues which emerged after the service

1. Left Rear Power window not working
2. Engine vibration been felt in steering
3. No proper Cleaning ( or water wash)
4. 3 Doors lock or latch issue (its is not closing with sweet sound as the front left door does)
5. Rattling noise from doors

Immediately the Executive attended and confirmed with me that when can i give the car, i told on tuesday i can give. To her Kindness she sent only driver and took the car to the station to attend the issue. Tuesday evening i called to get the status, i was informed that door issue is now rectified and they are looking at the engine vibration and will take atleast another half a day. Promised me the delivery @ 12pm today (wednesday). Exactly at 12 i went there and found my beauty was standing for the delivery. I spoke to the office people and asked for the delivery, they said the Service Engineer (or Service Head Coordinator, who was earlier service engineer) wants to trail along with me, i agreed with pleasure.

Mr. Mathivanan ( i must respect him for his service) came out and took the car for the trail, He still had the Door lock openeing @ 120kmph in his mind which i said in my first service, so took me to one road and started exploring my beast. we were @ 120kmph. There lies the surprise, there was no sound what so ever except the sweet engine sound (i will not call it as noise anymore ), engine vibration on steering wheel has reduced a lot (rather very very minimal as like other cars), door issue has been rectified, NO rattling noise. Engine was super smooth as like petrol vehicle. I asked him what he had done!! he patiently explained that he called the door mechanic and asked him to remove the doors and latches, asked him to get the latch working as like the front left door(which has no issues from the begining) after that today early morning i took your car for a test drive where i cruised @130kmph and found no issues with smiles in his face!!!

Cool service and response from VST

Simple Quote from me on VST "Give the car, tell the problem, give time and you will get the car back in perfect condition"

here is my Mileage Figures

City Driving: 14 ~ 15.5 kmpl (with AC)
Highway: @ 90 ~100 kmph with AC - 20 kmpl, without AC - till 23 Approx
Highway: minimum 100 and at constant speed of 110kmph, sometimes crossing 120 and reaching 140kmph with AC - 17+ kmpl

Engine has become smooth now and its rocks .

VST Service: *****
VST Response: *****

(all ratings for high value of 5)

Special Thanks to Mr. Mathivanan from VST Motors.

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 5th January 2011 at 15:03.
magnanimousdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:00   #92
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update

The ODO has crossed 3700+ KM now and i am getting a pretty decent fuel economy now, posting my excel for your reference below. The engine has now got a different sound now since 1st service, the team said the errors were rectified but till 2000rmp the engine sound seems to be in different tone, infact i can hear the sound precisely now inside the cabin. However its now more zippy than before. Calling Punto MJD owners to comment on it as i am not sure this will happen after service.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-fe.jpg  

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 19th January 2011 at 15:04.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
The ODO has crossed 3700+ KM now and i am getting a pretty decent fuel economy now, posting my excel for your reference below. The engine has now got a different sound now since 1st service, the team said the errors were rectified but till 2000rmp the engine sound seems to be in different tone, infact i can hear the sound precisely now inside the cabin. However its now more zippy than before. Calling Punto MJD owners to comment on it as i am not sure this will happen after service.
You are lucky to have had a good experience at VST motors. I am stuck with Concorde and will be taking the car to them next week. Let's see what they are able to do about the issues. I haven't felt a lot of difference after 1st service. The engine has become a little smoother, but I guess that is only due to the number of kms on the odo.

Are you saying that engine noise is more audible inside the cabin after 1st service? I did not feel that way. In fact, I feel the other way. It has decreased a bit after 1st service.

Nice excel sheet there. I wish I was as organized as you. I am yet to check the FE in my car.
praz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:46   #94
BHPian

yes, i am lucky in that way and yes i can hear the engine note from inside the cabin, but now the engine is more peppy and zippy though the note is on high end. Some time i can hear the tone more precisely, sometime i wasn't . If you look/calculate closely the excel the you can fine the FE is slighly in the lower end
Old 9th February 2011, 19:32   #95
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update

Hello TBhpians Fellows,

This is Long time for me now to keep my hands in this forum, yes even 20days is a long time for me. I am now the Proud Owner of Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White. The ODO shows 5000km, first service done, many long drives done. Couple of days back took my machine for a long journey. Few observations from my side are

1. Handling & balance

we talked about this till deaths hence not going to comment about it as you people know about it

2. FE

Yes, I wanted to discuss about this. i have already posted my fuel track sheet, if you deeply look into it you can find the FE variation before the service and after the service. Before service i was getting min of 14 but now i am getting only 13~14 in city with AC ON always, Is it normal?? In the Highways, i am getting only 17kmpl but speed not less than 100kmph i go sometimes contact 120. I just started driving it just pass 2k rpm in City but not frequently. I will shift the gears once i gone past 2200 rmp actually its fun to do it, believe me!. Will the FE go down becasue of that? I really dont know!!!

3. Speed

The New Entry in the List is the Speed. I have been reading that our fellow Tbhpains gone past the 140 mark easily with this Same Punto MJD, I am not sure is it with A/C ON and with Full load in the car (5 people with luggage)?? cos i am not able to go past 130 even with the above mentioned load. I hardly got it once at 140 but the engine was roaring i felt that i was the engine. This time in my recent trip with Slow and steady accelaration i was able to achive 130, that too i am not satisified. Just wanted our Friends views on what it could be and why?

Note to Mods: Speed limits mentioned here is to understand why other engines are able to do it while mine wasn't.

4. Engine

Now the Engine is more refined than before, the Run in helped. The Noise level has gone down to a big extent. i can feel a slight increase in Power as well. The engine is peppier to drive in City conditions than before. Hope to get it more peppier and more refined and full power @ 10,000 kms on ODO.

5. Misc

Here and there i am having minor Rattles sometimes, The front Windshield Beading below the wiper has bulged itself in some places. Spoke to the Service station people, they said now they have ordered the part and it will take atleast a week time to arrive. Filled up Nitrogen in tyres and its good till now.

Issues after Service:

1. Door issue - Fixed now
2. Minor Rattles - Fixed but now rattling in someother place.

On the Whole i am satisified with my purchace and with Fiat Punto Diesel!!!
Old 10th February 2011, 11:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello TBhpians Fellows,
2. FE
Yes, I wanted to discuss about this. i have already posted my fuel track sheet, if you deeply look into it you can find the FE variation before the service and after the service. Before service i was getting min of 14 but now i am getting only 13~14 in city with AC ON always, Is it normal?? In the Highways, i am getting only 17kmpl but speed not less than 100kmph i go sometimes contact 120. I just started driving it just pass 2k rpm in City but not frequently. I will shift the gears once i gone past 2200 rmp actually its fun to do it, believe me!. Will the FE go down becasue of that? I really dont know!!!

I don't want to scare you but my 1.2 gives me 11.5kmpl in city with AC on most of the times and 12.5kmpl in city with AC off most of the times
Highway I'm getting 14kmpl with AC on.

3. Speed

The New Entry in the List is the Speed. I have been reading that our fellow Tbhpains gone past the 140 mark easily with this Same Punto MJD, I am not sure is it with A/C ON and with Full load in the car (5 people with luggage)?? cos i am not able to go past 130 even with the above mentioned load. I hardly got it once at 140 but the engine was roaring i felt that i was the engine. This time in my recent trip with Slow and steady accelaration i was able to achive 130, that too i am not satisified. Just wanted our Friends views on what it could be and why?

Note to Mods: Speed limits mentioned here is to understand why other engines are able to do it while mine wasn't.

My 1.2 has touched 170kmph with 5 people and AC on. Though it took some time to reach that speed.
To my credit, I had a long stretch of visible good road. Engine roars at this speed, but if you look at GTO's review, roaring engine is one -ves he has mentioned. Its inherent i suppose.

4. Engine

Now the Engine is more refined than before, the Run in helped. The Noise level has gone down to a big extent. i can feel a slight increase in Power as well. The engine is peppier to drive in City conditions than before. Hope to get it more peppier and more refined and full power @ 10,000 kms on ODO.

I don't know if it truly has become peppier, but what I've experienced is that we learn how to drive this beauty better by each passing day.
I used to feel that the gear ratios are not right, but now i extract the best of her in each gear.
I have made my opinions in bold
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:51   #97
BHPian

As a non-owner of the Punto, I did really feel a difference between a brand new car and a run-in car. I had taken a test drive of the Punto when it was launched and found it very lethargic.

Then recently I went for a test drive again and the same car had run 15k odd by that time and I found a huge difference in terms of performance and noise. The performance had become better while the engine noise had gone down a bit.

So its not only the owner getting used to the car, but also the engine which is performing better after being run-in quite a bit.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My 1.2 has touched 170kmph with 5 people and AC on. Though it took some time to reach that speed.
To my credit, I had a long stretch of visible good road. Engine roars at this speed, but if you look at GTO's review, roaring engine is one -ves he has mentioned. Its inherent i suppose
Well thanks Mate, I am aware that pertol engines would give good accelaration than the Diesel, But diesel would require a good slow and steady accelaration to achive that. My Point here is she goes easily till 120 but after that i really have to floor her like anything, nevertheless if you look at the RPM gauge it is @ 3000RPM. So as per GTO's review she will have no problems to reach 4000RPM, well still further she would go if you insist till 4500RPM. here my gal takes a lot of time to reach 140 ( 4000 rpm) from 120(3000 RPM) that too i need to floor her like anything, this is where i am worried. I would really like to hear anything from GTO or Punto Diesel Heads or people who have driven Punto MJD like that.
Old 12th February 2011, 21:06   #99
BHPian

Guys,

Today morning we went out and the car sounded(Engine tone) weird. Clutch was tight, Placing the gears were tight and even the steering as well. suddenly for a minute i thought i am driving a truck!!! reached the destination and while returning things changed, gear placing was as usual, steering was as usual, clutch again as usual, but engine tone was different not the butter bubble sound which i used to get earlier. Can someone throw some light on what could be this?.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:11   #100
BHPian

Default Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update

Hello folks, its been a while since i checked the Tbhp site cos i was just enoying my car. My car Fiat Punto Emotion Pack, Boso nova white. It has crossed 8k kms, it has been a slow increment to touch 8k from 5k cos i didnt go for a long trip often.

We have talked about the Punto Handling, dynamics to death so nothing about those. To start with i am just enjoying the fine handling of punto, ever lasting balance, stunning looks with the beautiful engine till Now, here are the few points which i have observed till now

1. A/C chills like freezer
2. Engine sometimes feels tight, sometimes feels very light not sure why? anyone knows why?
3. FE fluctuates between 13 ~ 15kmpl, with AC in City
4. There are very minor rattles which can be ignored anyways
5. Filling Nitrogen doesn't make a huge difference, as usual for me
6. Headlight is a big concern, not enough power in it
7. Had some services on Door Latches
8. ICU had some problem finding bluetooth, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery did the trick

Regarding the Point 2, when the engine seems tight i feel little hard to press accelerator(not that big problem it is) and feel that i am straining the engine. Rather i can put it as, i am not able to drive light footed, i feel i am pushing the pedals hard. Anyone knows the why this type happens?

Most of the things can be ignored, i am just enjoying the Ride
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:17   #101
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update

Forgot to add 2 points

1. I get Best mileage when i fix my AC to 23 degree C, change that is affecting my mileage high time

2. My engine Grunt is more many times, suddenly it gets reduced and becomes smooth, sometime after 1000km of smooth drive the grunt becomes high vise versa. I am not sure what and why is this happening, Any help in this is Much appreciated.

Thanks
Magnanimousdude
Old 8th August 2011, 16:53   #102
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update

Quote:
Forgot to add 2 points

My engine Grunt is more many times, suddenly it gets reduced and becomes smooth, sometime after 1000km of smooth drive the grunt becomes high vise versa. I am not sure what and why is this happening, Any help in this is Much appreciated.

Thanks
Magnanimousdude
Well, I had some issues with Clutch tightening sometimes and softening sometimes. Steering tightens and Gear tightens when clutch is tight. This started to happen frequently after 8000KM Update, though it was there before, i didnt take it seriously as it wasn't that tight that time.

Now that its Imperative for me to take it to TASS, i took the car to VST on Last thursday with booking. after leaving the car having been said about the issue, i got a call from the SA on friday, he told me that my Cutch Slave Cylinder was OLD one(the Plastic One) and now it has been changed to Steel and now the car is smooth!!! I wonder how??? I had it changed someday in the Month of Jan or March i reckon.

Guys throw some light on this please!!
How the Clutch Slave Cylinder versions were released till now?? was it first ceramic, then Plastic and now it Steel? or Plastic, Metal and Steel??
i am asking this cos i need to know which one they changed? SA said mine was plastic one and hence changed to the modified Steel(said, the lastest) one...

Anyways the End result is SMOOTH, luxurious ride, with light clutch... surprisingly the steering tightness also disappered. Now Clutch, Engine, gear and steering is all fine and smooth! i could even sense some increase in power as well but not sure how its gonna decrease the FE!!!

Only Glitch i had after changing the clutch, today morning the clutch got vaccum formed inside and so i couldn't do anything the clutch was very loose as if it was about to fall... Not able to put the gears also, called up the VST Service people and they assisted, they just asked me to pump the clutch sometimes. Bingo! Surpise the issue got resolved!

Another Update is i got my car with new seat covers.. I wanted to match the seat covers with the Inside dashboard and door colors , hence got the Black and Grey match. I had this done in Jeewajee, Annanagar, Chennai. I contacted Mr. Mohammed and he had done this for me for approx 6300rs. I had changed my Headlights to Phillips PowerExtreme and now its fantastic.. Total Expense 7400rs.

Seact Covers: 5800, Had a special packing for Under thigh support for 200rs
Labour: 550(approx, not sure)
Phillips Power Extreme: 970 (Approx)