Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd May 2011, 13:30   #61
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
About your query, NO, driving in petrol mode does not get affected. I got 18.X kmpl when I drove in petrol only mode with three persons + AC. Driving speed was within 80-90 kmph on highway, just about reasonable traffic and light foot.

I am getting 18.X as mentioned above using petrol. But this FE is on highway with more or less constant speed of 80-90 kmph.
Many thanks for the prompt clarification aaggoswami. Much appreciated. I have pointed my cousin to this thread and your detailed reports.

Please do keep them coming as it of great use to others who are contemplating the WagonR / CNG option.

Great job.
hell_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Many thanks for the prompt clarification aaggoswami. Much appreciated. I have pointed my cousin to this thread and your detailed reports.

Please do keep them coming as it of great use to others who are contemplating the WagonR / CNG option.

Great job.
Thanks for appreciation!
Recently Waggie just returned from a 540 km trip in two days. Its now 12,000 kms done. No complains.

I got efficiency of around 26 km/kg this time. My daily drive was through city traffic for 32 kms and 8 kms on highway total per day.

Now in city driving, as we know, there is lack of urban planning. Every 100 mtrs. there is a street and people coming in. Lack of sense + heavy traffic = me barely getting into 5th gear. Most of the time, I am in 4th max. Else maximum distance covered in city in 3rd.

Another thing I observed and clarified with my father. This is about measuring CNG FE.

As mentioned earlier, a lot depends upon the pressure at the fuel station. Suppose pressure was high and CNG tank is almost filled ( i.e. fully filled ), lets say X kg. I set the trip meter to 0. Now I use the car for my travel. When I again go to fill in CNG, the pressure is less so less gas goes into it, suppose Y kg.
Kms. in trip meter, lets assume A kms.

So calculations would be FE = A/Y Kms/kg. ........( Result 1 )

But suppose the pressure was high at station, then more gas would go in. Lets assume this amount to be Y+b.
So FE = A/(Y=b) kms/kg..................................( Result 2 ).

Obviously, the Result 1 will be higher as gas went in less quantity. But for Result 2, the car will travel more kms. next time as more gas was filled in.
Overall, there could be fluctuations in CNG FE also.

To override this possibility of error, the best one can do is check the pressure at the station ( a meter will be there at the fuel station ) and try to keep similar timings for filling in CNG.

While the Waggie was new in winter, dad used to get up at 4 am for filling in CNG and then the FE was measured to override the chances of error.

Overall, I would say that calculation of FE in CNG mode is bit more complex and more dependent on ambient temperature and pressure available at fuel station. So if one gets a bit less FE then lack of pressure available at fuel station can be higher as compared to what the person got earlier.

I am open to discussion and inputs from others on this topic.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd May 2011 at 23:24.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:54   #63
BHPian

@aaggoswami - I generally fill after the CNG indicator shows red. anyway CNG is filled in kg-s. so where does the necessity of looking out for the pressure come in? i mean low pressure would mean less kgs goin in will it not? and that would show up on the pump display. ANyway let me know if you have perfected a way to measure the CNG efficiency.

also: are you religiously following the bit about running the car on petrol at regular intervals???
HONESTabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 12:05   #64
BHPian

@aaggoswami - I'm planning to go for CNG Alto for my wife, Daily run in is approx 20 kms with about 5-6 runs per day, so avg 1 run is of 4-5 kms. So my question is that Auto switch over would come in after the engine is sufficiently hot, so how many kms before the CNG swithover happens after lets say after a 3-4 hour stop.

If the change over to CNG happens after 2 kms, then the benefit of a cng vehicle reduces by 50% (50% runin on petrol & 50% on CNG)

Am i right on the above eqautions? Please do share your experience.
sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 12:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

@sunnyside,
The vehicle starts using petrol and the switchover to gas is immediate after startup.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 18:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
@aaggoswami - I generally fill after the CNG indicator shows red. anyway CNG is filled in kg-s. so where does the necessity of looking out for the pressure come in? i mean low pressure would mean less kgs goin in will it not? and that would show up on the pump display. ANyway let me know if you have perfected a way to measure the CNG efficiency.

also: are you religiously following the bit about running the car on petrol at regular intervals???
Less pressure = less CNG.
Assume that for 7 kgs, you travelled 196 kms. Now next time you go to fill in after using 7 kgs., the pressure is low. Lets say that only 6.7 kg goes in. So you will calculate 196/6.7 = 29.2 km/kg rather than 28 km/kg. All I am trying to say is that tank full to tank full method is not applicable here for sure because of pressure available at the filling station.

The gauge is not linear. For 60 kms, the bar in our car will go down by 2 from 4 green indicators. The the car will run quite long and rest of the two go down slower.

After red indicator, the car can travel more than 40 kms., but its heavily dependent on your right foot and traffic.

What you are doing is correct. Let the bar come to red and then fill in CNG.

To run the car in liquid fuel what I do is simple. Whenever I go to fill in CNG at night, I keep petrol only till station and also while coming back from CNG filling station.
Next morning, its back to normal CNG driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
@aaggoswami - I'm planning to go for CNG Alto for my wife, Daily run in is approx 20 kms with about 5-6 runs per day, so avg 1 run is of 4-5 kms. So my question is that Auto switch over would come in after the engine is sufficiently hot, so how many kms before the CNG swithover happens after lets say after a 3-4 hour stop.

If the change over to CNG happens after 2 kms, then the benefit of a cng vehicle reduces by 50% (50% runin on petrol & 50% on CNG)

Am i right on the above eqautions? Please do share your experience.
The change over will happen within meters. Max in winter I had to wait till around 200 mtrs. Its not that the switchover will happen only when the engine is at operating temperature. As mention by Khoj, its almost instant in summer. Dont worry about this, the changeover will happen quite quickly.
You can safely go in for the CNG Alto without worrying about this factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@sunnyside,
The vehicle starts using petrol and the switchover to gas is immediate after startup.
Correct. The max I had to wait was in winter was around 200 mtrs. before changeover.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

The car has completed 13.7K kms. now. No specific problems, the car is working well without any rattle or any complain. Its like Fill it, shut it, forget it.

1) The car is wider than overall proportions suggest.
2) Gearshift are smooth. I now realize how much helpful smoother gear shifts are in traffic as I do drive M800 also.
3) Wiper blades are of very good quality. Almost all new cars that I have driven or being into have this. Very silent and effective. Our Balneo for instance, did not have that high quality blades.
4) Part throttle response has improved a bit it seems, but I think this has more to do with lower temperatures.
5) I miss rear wiper too.

Recently a part of intake was changed. This is the plastic part from where the air is sucked in. I am attaching the images. We had earlier received call from maruti that we have to change the part free of cost.

Images.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0300.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0301.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0302.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0303.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0304.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0305.jpg  

Old 6th July 2011, 19:24   #68

Guys, recently had a Flat tyre and to my surprise, couldnt locate the Jack Handle to remove and operate the Jack. Can someone please help me with that.. Sounds stupid to me.. May be i am the dumb one but please help!
saumil_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 20:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil_b View Post
Guys, recently had a Flat tyre and to my surprise, couldnt locate the Jack Handle to remove and operate the Jack. Can someone please help me with that.. Sounds stupid to me.. May be i am the dumb one but please help!
In the toolkit, there are two objects. One will have a hook shape at the end. Place that in jack. Next ,use the tool that you utilized to open the nut and place this tool such that the object that has hook shape and the one you have put in the jack, goes inside the hole in this tool's hole. This will form a "+". Thats it. Its pretty easy.

15,000 kms. UPDATE
Our Waggie completes 15K kms!

1) No rattles. My city is not known for good roads and the roads I have to ply on are certainly not good. But still no rattles till date.

2) Noisy engine.

3) Noisy stock tyres. Anybody buying Lxi and has money, invest in better tyres straight out of dealership. The stock tyres on Lxi are certainly not the best. I realized this on A'bad trip.

4) Noisy blower.

5) Good ride quality. Works very well and is much less stressful.

6) GC is very good. Rarely the car scraps. One Altis scrapped on pathetic road ( in Makarpura GIDC where I am going daily now ), Waggie just did not scrap. I know Altis is sedan, etc. but just for reference. Also the peace of having a car not scrapping is great. We have Baleno at home and I know how bad it feels.

7) Water wading. Yesterday, I was driving for more than 1.5 hours between 8:30 pm and 10 approx. and doing pick and drop for sister ( she was having cold+fever so visit to doctors place ) and dad ( going to uncle's place for office discussion ) and I had to pick a few stationery for me.
It was a bit heavy rain and water was there on roads. Waggie invaded into waters upto waggie's headlights and still was going strong. No issues here. I am sure Baleno/Civic/Accent would have struggled at that height.

Wiper blades are surprisingly good. Rather they are very good. They did a good job yesterday night with heavy rains.

Headlights are good enough for city driving. Highbeam is very nice.
However, I would have liked more throw i.e. a longer throw from low beam. Highbeam and lowbeam height is pretty different. A slightly higher lower beam would be good.

8) I will say this a million times, the A/C vent design is really bad.

9) Overall, not so good sound insulation. When it rained heaviely, I was not able to talk on phone at normal tone from inside the car. Note that the car was not moving, the car was stationary. The following noise enters into the cabin fairly well.
  • Tyre noise
  • Wind noise
  • Rain noise
  • Engine noise
However, I must appreciate that noise from other objects like other's horns, etc. are much less.

10) Engine. Its now well known unit. However, I am now finding it more responsive overall, about 5-7% increase in overall bottom end response. Earlier where the car used to struggle at 20kmph in third, now it does pull fairly well. And gearbox has also got a bit smoother.

11) A few other things:
  • Very good brakes
  • Mist function very useful when you just want a single wipe without doing twin action. Normally,for a single wipe, we have to put wipers into intermittent/normal speed ( for car without intermittent ) for a single wipe ( example, you are sitting in the car and waiting at signal, or waiting for a person, etc. ). So switching wipers into intermittent and then again switching them off. With MIST function, it just one small move. Just move that stalk once upwards and thats it. I am using wipers with mist function for the first time or may be I never paid attention to it in other cars. Actually dad told me about this mist function yesterday!
  • Rear wash and wipe sorely missed
  • Better locking system could have helped i.e. having a central locking button + individual locks on each door. Currently when I open the drivers door lock, all doors lock are opened. This is unnecessary
  • Acceleration is significantly stronger at higher rpm. 70 to 80 kmph in top gear is slower than 100 to 110 kmph in top gear!
  • Excellent FE on CNG. Vadodara city traffic + A'bad city traffic + express-highway @ 100-110 kmph on a windy day. FE was 26 kilometeres per KG!!!! Very nice I must say. CNG cost = Rs. 36/kg. FE = 26 km/kg. Three persons traveling in Waggie was cheaper than AC coach. City traffic still gives out good figures, but depends on driver and traffic.
The car will hopefully continue to do duty in this reliable fashion. Very reliable and great city car.

@mods : Can you update the thread tittle to 15,000 kms. update ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th July 2011 at 20:37.
Old 8th July 2011, 22:10   #70

And where is the toolkit??
Old 9th July 2011, 17:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil_b View Post
And where is the toolkit??
Look for it in the boot, below the carpet and where the spare wheel is. Also look around the jack if tool kit is there. It must be there along with the Hazard warning symbol kit. Both the things must be somewhere in the boot or on the parcel shelf ( which is less likely ).

If still you are not able to find out where the kit it, contact the dealer and inform him about the same. There is some sort of check list that one is supposed to check on delivery. This list has a few points checking and it includes toolkit. Look for that also. Atleast this list was there in our case and everything was given to us.

Look into the manual to find out where the kit would be ( if at all the manual has any details about this ).
Old 27th July 2011, 11:08   #72
BHPian

Thanks aaggoswami for the detailed report ! I have booked it based on your review and shall be taking its delivery on 2nd or 3rd Aug. You mentioned that we should change tyres immediately on its delivery, Can you please suggest what shall be the good upgrade for this? I am planning to add alloys also to it on delivery day itself.

I too own a baleno and your comaprison on Wagon R cooling with Baleno cooling was deciding factor for me.

How much is the service interval for this car (10K kms or 5K kms)?

Last edited by Sang : 27th July 2011 at 11:25.
Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 17:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Thanks aaggoswami for the detailed report ! I have booked it based on your review and shall be taking its delivery on 2nd or 3rd Aug. You mentioned that we should change tyres immediately on its delivery, Can you please suggest what shall be the good upgrade for this? I am planning to add alloys also to it on delivery day itself.

I too own a baleno and your comaprison on Wagon R cooling with Baleno cooling was deciding factor for me.

How much is the service interval for this car (10K kms or 5K kms)?
Congrats for the new car. Do update here or rather start a new thread on the ownership.
155/65 R14 seem to be good fit. I think anything wider will have risk of rubber brushing against walls. You can go in for alloys on the new R14 alloys. Do confirm if fitting from outside voids warranty or not. Also haggle a lot for the rims and tyres you are selling off.

First service is 10,000 kms. Then after servicing is every 15,000 kms. Suzuki has started using synthetic oil for K-series and hence the longer service intervals.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th July 2011 at 17:43.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Congrats for the new car. Do update here or rather start a new thread on the ownership.
155/65 R14 seem to be good fit. I think anything wider will have risk of rubber brushing against walls. You can go in for alloys on the new R14 alloys. Do confirm if fitting from outside voids warranty or not. Also haggle a lot for the rims and tyres you are selling off.

First service is 10,000 kms. Then after servicing is every 15,000 kms. Suzuki has started using synthetic oil for K-series and hence the longer service intervals.
Thanks aaggoswami ! I got delivery of B.Blue Wagon R CNG yesterday. At night I got CNG filled in it and it was showing all 4 green lights while coming back home which is around 2 kms from CNG station. When I started the car in morning, it was showing 3 lights and when I reached office which is around 35 kms away, it showed 2 green lights. Can please confirm if this is normal or Do I have to get it checked for leakage?

Thanks !
Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 13:36   #75

@Sang,
How much gas was filled ?