Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th December 2005, 18:30   #31
BHPian

Thanks for the tips, Tapan. I am afraid, i am not such a smooth and soft driver. I like revving my car and keeping the engine on the boil, so to say. I have been finding it very hard to keep the rpms under 3000 for the first month. I am somehow managing it till now. My first service is just around the corner and the car is due for a good ripping drive. Lets see what comes out of that. That said, i have been very happy at the performance of the car. Not exceeding 3000 rpms, i am still able to drive relatively sportingly in Chennai and its outskirts. Not bad at all...

If i have to fault something in the interiors, it would be the relative lack of rearseat space and the absolute lack of a decent glovebox. The one provided is laughably miniscule. Everything else, for 5 lakhs, is exemplary!

In a mix of highway and in-city driving i got 12 kmpl. This was probably a 60-40 mix of highway and in-city driving. Not bad, but i am expecting better figures after the first service. By the way i had a question for the people here. Why is it that a car's FE is said to improve after the first service? Is it only because the engine at that point is considered to be 'run-in', or is there some other reason?

I will update my initial impressions next month when i have had more time with my car.
balashome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2005, 20:55   #32
Tapan

Hi,

If our GM dealer is good mate then you don't have to worry about anything. I also rev the car alot and whenever i see some challange i accept and try to win it.

But as our GM dealer is not cool so i get some hard time with them getting the car in proper shape. Though thankfully everytime after tu-tu mein-mein i get the dealer to do the stuff free for me lol.

Anywas the car is too awesome to drive. I know how you feel. It goes like a monster as soon as you start pressing the accelerator and one can feel the thrill of perfect control.

FE of 12 is good for chennai i think but i am not sure. I get 14 here if i drive in between 50-80 but if i keep on doing drags witgh everyone then it falls to 13. And i get 15 on highways if i drive smooth

Also i must tell you that "PLEASE GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY". Its very much required for this car else you will only end up shelling mroe and more money. Getting an extended warranty i think only costs around Rs. 8500 and you won't regret it believe me.

If you want to know any more details just let me know.

Thanks.
Old 30th December 2005, 01:56   #33
BHPian

Aah...how did i miss this thread ??

@bala - congratulations for a new car as well as a nice review.

we have 2 corsa's in our family - one brought in SEP'03 and another in SEP'05 and we are happy to own such a car.

GTO has hit a bulls eye on PROs and CONs - but talking of FE - my father's corsa (2003 model) returns around 13 in city - with A\C in city and 15 on highways ( highway FE calculated on 900KM konkan trip gave figures of 15.45 )
and my Corsa (2005) returns @11 in city with A\C and 13 on highways .. But as far as the driving pleasure is concerned - who the heck cares about FE ????
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 01:58   #34
BHPian

Post Nice review

Hi Bala,
nice review. strengths and weaknesses both covered:-)

The Opel Corsa is one of the few cars i have not driven this side of 10 lakhs. However Tapan I wouldn't agree that it beats the Ford and the Esteem on all counts. Here's why:-)

Esteem - betters the Corsa in performace and FE.

Ford - boy oh boy the handling of the Ford is simply great fun. Just point it into a corner and shove the pedal(nothing much happens in the 1.3 but the 1.6 is great). Sharp turns on the steering do not upset the composure much too. But a price is paid in the stiff ride.

Based on owne speak and Balas review I thing the corsa is great in ride and build quality with a decent engine. On the peronal opinion i feel it is a bit cramped compared to the Ikon.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 10:01   #35
BHPian

Bala - Nice review. I have not considered Opel at all even in my test drives as I was of the opinion (turns out to be wrong after reading the review) that the ASS is bad and the dealers are stoic.
Am looking out for a very good car in the 5 to 6 L category. Will try corsa too. Thanks for the initial impressions.

Surya
Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 22:14   #36
BHPian

Thanks guys for the kind comments.

I have completed 900 kms this week and had the first service done. Now is the time to really open the vehicle up in terms of performance. I am already having great fun revving up to about 4000-5000 rpm on upshifts.

TBHP user sAP had an interesting review on mouthshut (a link is provided in a post in the Long Terms Reviews section) - most of which i agree to. If you have the inclination to, you can extract performance from this car. But, with the average Indian driver - whose only objective seems to be to reach the top gear in the least possible amount of time, the lack of torque in the Corsa 1.4 is going to generate a sluggish impression.

After i have another long drive next month, i will update my impressions.
Old 3rd July 2006, 21:03   #37
sAP
BHPian

Arrow K&N on Corsa 1.4 review

Bala: I am not sure if you already got an answer... but this post is in response to the question you had concerning a K&N filter on the Corsa 1.4.

I have a Corsa 1.4 SAIL and my review after installing a replacement panel filter is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/250102-post8.html

sAP
sAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 14:17   #38
BHPian

Default K & N Filter

Thank you very much SAP for the detailed review and your thoughts on the subject. I havent yet installed a filter on my car - but have been meaning to for qiute some time now.

I have somehow become adept at squeezing power out of my car (w/o A). Not many cars have redline hovering at 6000 rpm and i greatly enjoy using that grunt on the highways and the Corsa has something to say about high speed stability. Of course it is not built for a slalom run - but seeing that i am not about to do anything like that, it is fine.

I heard from another friend, who is a bike enthusiast, that a new Indian company called 'Protonics' (i think) produces air filters of the same type as K&N and is very effective as well as cheap. Do you have any idea bout this? Protonics is supposed to be Chennai based. Do let me know if you hear something about it.

Thank you.
Old 8th August 2006, 17:56   #39

i do not understand one thing ...why the hell am i getting fe of not more than 8 with normal driving...shifting under 2500 rpm...is there anything i can do about it ... performance of the car rocks and i have installed a k&N stock which has been worth every penny as the car is not sluggish anymore . can somebody help with fe problem . people dont consider corsas coz of its average , but here im seeing most of you guys getting avg of 12
S@!l_-oR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 02:04   #40
sAP
BHPian

Arrow Fuel average & conditions

Sailor: Using the airconditioner all the time and using the Iftex G additive (as recommended by Opel) gives me an average of 8 kms per litre in the city and 12kms on the open highway.

I barely use the airconditioner because it mellows down the performance of the car. I usually keep the windows rolled down and use the airconditioner only 20% of the time. I don't use the Iftex additive and use plain HP unleaded petrol. I have 13" K-Speed alloys which are lighter than steel wheels and have stock tires (175/70R13 Bridgestone S322). I have a K&N replacement panel filter (33-2098).

Under these conditions and spirited driving, I get 9.6 kms per litre in the city on an average. This is for a SAIL 1.4L.

sAP
Old 11th August 2006, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@!l_-oR
i do not understand one thing ...why the hell am i getting fe of not more than 8 with normal driving...shifting under 2500 rpm...is there anything i can do about it ... performance of the car rocks and i have installed a k&N stock which has been worth every penny as the car is not sluggish anymore . can somebody help with fe problem . people dont consider corsas coz of its average , but here im seeing most of you guys getting avg of 12

Try using Iftex System G on a full tank of fuel, get your tyre pressure checked, drive light footed, shift at 2000rpm and brake smooth and early The car is fun to drive once it crosses 3000rpm but you will end up with a low fe.

My 2005 corsa returns a normal of atleast 10 within the city with the a/c on all the time. (in mumbai roads).
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 22:18   #42

sail running on 175/70r14 goodyears ...could not get potenza GIII ,etc coz it would affect the suspension ...my choice was right and the tyres do not hit the suspension on any kind of bump .
i have stopped using ifftex system g...i just filled speed 97 a week back and i got an average of 10 ...the cost remains more or less the same but the car feels much smoother...trust me guys it feels tooo light.
for 1000 bucks i get 19-20 litres of unleaded petrol and m able to drive around 150-160 kms and the same nmber of kms with 16.** litres of speed97 so - better to fill 97. all you guys should get k&N filter for your cars as the car does not feel sluggish at all when u switch on the a/c .
anyways how many seconds do you guys think it takes the corsa/sial to cross 100 kmph mark . try it and let me know .
p.s - please dont start posting the speeds given by magazines coz according to me all that is plain crap
S@!l_-oR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 20:30   #43
BHPian

Hi sAP,

Why exactly are you not recommending to use the System G additive? Do you ascribe some loss in FE to using this additive that is being recommended by GM?

Also does anybody know anything about Protonics filters? If not, which is the best filter to use in a Corsa (model number if available would be appreciated)?

Sailor - I tried the 0-100 on the Chennai - Dindivanam highway as well as the Chennai ECR. Though i didnt have a stopwatch, i made it in about 15 to 17 seconds. This was without A/c of course. The 0-60 is more fun though. Again i didnt have a stopwatch, but i made it through till 40 kmph in 1st gear and then switched over to 2nd for the rest. The only thing i knew was the car reached 60 very quickly. It will take a more professional rider than me to note the exact timings on the 0.60 drag.

Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:51   #44
BHPian

Good review bala... Whatever happened to the rumors that Corsa is being discontinued, i still see them selling it and advertising it atleast on the billboards
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 20:58   #45
sAP
BHPian

Arrow Low FE with System G additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by balashome
Hi sAP,
Why exactly are you not recommending to use the System G additive? Do you ascribe some loss in FE to using this additive that is being recommended by GM?
Hi Bala:

Sorry I didn't notice your question till I made a casual visit to the site today. But you did guess right. My mileage drops when I use the System G additive. So I just use it once in a while now (perhaps once in 10 fillings) hoping that it will clean the injectors, cylinder walls and ports during that time.

I haven't noticed any rough idling or hesitation in the absence of it, though I used to get that in the first year when my car was brand new.

sAP