Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd January 2011, 21:31   #136
BHPian

Default Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Does anyone know if X1 has anti-pinch windows?
sbhasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though they are as different as chalk & cheese, you can bet on the unpredictable Indian market to cross-shop between the Fortuner & the X1. I mean, c'mon...this is a BMW for 22 lakhs! And it's even got SUV looks. Sure, the Fortuner has more space, will prove way more reliable & hassle-free to own, and can off-road too. But the typical urban customer could care two hoots about these factors.

Mercedes has no answer to the X1; this car will give BMW an undisputed jump in volumes for 2011.
BMW has already overtaken Mercedes in terms of the volumes, and seems that Mercs has no answer for them. The X1 is definately going to give a boost to the numbers that BMW is generating.

But if someone wants a real SUV look then X1 not the answer.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:17   #138
Team-BHP Support

Spotted an X1 on Sus Road yesterday in a gorgeous blue shade. The owner was slowing down to park. Thought of stopping and saying hello but was unwell and decided against it. This is one beautiful car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Does anyone know if X1 has anti-pinch windows?
Even my gareeb Vento has anti-pinch windows, am sure the X1 does too

@Abhishek- what's the third column in the price list? (25K for the X1 and 45K for the bigger cars)?

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2011 at 13:44.
noopster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:56   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Abhishek- what's the third column in the price list? (25K for the X1 and 45K for the bigger cars)?
I guess that's handling charges.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:14   #140
BHPian

I saw one parked outside the office. It seems to be cramped at the rear. The diesel engine is a gem though. I drove the 320d in the UK and it is an absolute babe. Just a question the 24 to 30 Lac price band is for the indian manufactureed or the CBU imports?

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th February 2011 at 15:17. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid typing...like...this. Thanks!
prakashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:34   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
I saw one parked outside the office. It seems to be cramped at the rear. The diesel engine is a gem though. I drove the 320d in the UK and it is an absolute babe. Just a question the 24 to 30 Lac price band is for the indian manufactureed or the CBU imports?

The X1 is being sold as a CKD assembled in their Chennai plant. Its not a CBU.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:21   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The X1 is being sold as a CKD assembled in their Chennai plant. Its not a CBU.
I dont think this will make a difference given the QC of BMW, I feel this is the reason they are able to bring it out at the current price point.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 11:26   #143
BHPian

Saw one near Andheri today. Looked grand but having seen the X3 and X5, this one doesn't come close in terms of looks. The pricing makes it a VFM product in the BMW line-up.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 15:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if anyone's read this - but I just fell off my chair chuckling: Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE review | Driving - Times Online

A no-holds barred KO review by Clarkson of the X1.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 19:22   #145
Team-BHP Support

^^ The verdict depends on the reviewer's personal taste and preference. If you think about the X1 in a negative sense, it's crap vehicle as Jeremy said in the article you quoted here. The Interior quality is worst ever for a BMW, the space at rear is tight, lack of AWD, low GC and large overhangs means it cannot go off the tarmac, it's heavier and higher the 3 meaning the legendary handling is now diluted and it's not a beauty queen either.......the list goes on.

Thinking from a different perspective X1 is just the right car for our country because-
  1. It's the cheapest BMW sold here. The CE comes with all the essential safety equipment including ESP and all the Airbags.
  2. The extra GC means it can go to places your other Bimmer cannot.
  3. Higher seating offers a more commanding position and better comfort for the elderly.
  4. The Estate like body type means it can carry extra luggage when required. Masses perceive SUVs to be more prestigious than low slung sedans.
  5. Depite being heavier and higher than the 3 series the X1 still has a great balance of Ride and Handling. It's as rewarding to drive as a BMW should be.
  6. The Performance though slightly slower than the 320d is still very good along with a quite well sorted 6 speed AT. The 2.0 Litre diesel is a Gem though it's slightly more audible in the X1.
  7. Anyone upgrading will not find the Interiors lacking in luxury at all.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 06:49   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The verdict depends on the reviewer's personal taste and preference. If you think about the X1 in a negative sense, it's crap vehicle as Jeremy said in the article you quoted here. The Interior quality is worst ever for a BMW, the space at rear is tight, lack of AWD, low GC and large overhangs means it cannot go off the tarmac, it's heavier and higher the 3 meaning the legendary handling is now diluted and it's not a beauty queen either.......the list goes on.
I second the points mentioned. For me, X1 is one the rightly spec-ed BMW for our roads (and rightly priced too).

Jeremy's views are hughly entertaining, but thats about it. And problem times is that his benchmarks are set pretty high. And that will not match outside Europe. Just take those opinion with a pinch of salt, and all is fine

Note: If we really listen to Jeremy's take on some cars (e.g.; Hyundai), we will never have one of those on our roads!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:55   #147
Senior - BHPian

It still makes you feel like crap after spending 30 big ones, though :-(
Old 18th March 2011, 10:40   #148
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^ The verdict depends on the reviewer's personal taste and preference. Thinking from a different perspective X1 is just the right car for our country because-

It's the cheapest BMW sold here. The CE comes with all the essential safety equipment including ESP and all the Airbags.The extra GC means it can go to places your other Bimmer cannot.Higher seating offers a more commanding position and better comfort for the elderly.The Estate like body type means it can carry extra luggage when required. Masses perceive SUVs to be more prestigious than low slung sedans.Depite being heavier and higher than the 3 series the X1 still has a great balance of Ride and Handling. It's as rewarding to drive as a BMW should be.The Performance though slightly slower than the 320d is still very good along with a quite well sorted 6 speed AT. The 2.0 Litre diesel is a Gem though it's slightly more audible in the X1.
Totally agree, Besides checking one out on the inside have also followed one on the highway for a bit and compared to the sedan (3 & 5 Series) it does have road presence and does give a reasonable bit of both worlds. It is not for someone who wants to do actual offroading, but is very practical for Indian conditions and clicks all the important parameters. The Yeti is in many ways more capable at much lesser a price but then it just does not have the visual apeal or the brand value of the BMW so if one wants to make a certain kind off statement at a low cost the X1 is the way to go. It obviously won't work for those who have truly made it in life but it does give out the "Is on the right path" line.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 12:21   #149
BHPian

Smile Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Not sure if anyone's read this - but I just fell off my chair chuckling: Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE review | Driving - Times Online

A no-holds barred KO review by Clarkson of the X1.
seriously?After having NOT missed a single TG show for the last 10 seasons...YES 10..thats nothing new.Clarkson KO the BMW X6...and the Porsche 911...that doesnt mean that they are bad cars! Its just his entertaining review style. Take it with a Kg of salt. Let me also remind you that the X1 is the HIGHEST selling Premium SUV in europe, ahead of the Audi Q5
BMW X1 overtakes Audi Q5 for top-selling premium SUV

Quote:
^^

Thinking from a different perspective X1 is just the right car for our country because-
  1. It's the cheapest BMW sold here. The CE comes with all the essential safety equipment including ESP and all the Airbags.
  2. The extra GC means it can go to places your other Bimmer cannot.
  3. Higher seating offers a more commanding position and better comfort for the elderly.
  4. The Estate like body type means it can carry extra luggage when required. Masses perceive SUVs to be more prestigious than low slung sedans.
  5. Depite being heavier and higher than the 3 series the X1 still has a great balance of Ride and Handling. It's as rewarding to drive as a BMW should be.
  6. The Performance though slightly slower than the 320d is still very good along with a quite well sorted 6 speed AT. The 2.0 Litre diesel is a Gem though it's slightly more audible in the X1.
  7. Anyone upgrading will not find the Interiors lacking in luxury at all.
BANG ON! Couldnt have said it better myself and your list is pretty much why I have booked the car [Exclusive s-drive 20d]

* Performance is great
* Im 6'3 and will never sit in the back seat [cant fit into the 3 series]
* Decided on the Exclusive vs the CE cause i dont believe in going for the cheaper option especially when buying a BMW...and I just fell in love with the Corona rings [the CE doesnt have them]
* Design is a very personal thing, I LOVE the way the car looks, especially in black
* People crib that the engine is noisy and I agree that it is at idle, but when you rev her...OMG...the fact that you can hear the engine a tad more is just...well...you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It still makes you feel like crap after spending 30 big ones, though :-(
I seriously doubt that i will be feeling anything but utter JOY [as BMW puts it] when I drive out of the showroom with my new x1 in April.

Will do a very detailed review when my car actually arrives. The waiting list is over 5-6 months long now.

Last edited by manson : 12th May 2011 at 14:43. Reason: Please restrict yourself to two smileys in each post and abide by forum rules.
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 13:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
I seriously doubt that i will be feeling anything but utter JOY [as BMW puts it] when I drive out of the showroom with my new x1 in April.

Will do a very detailed review when my car actually arrives. The waiting list is over 5-6 months long now.
I was about to ask you for a detailed review...5-6 months waiting time! Pretty crazy stuff.