Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th September 2012, 23:39   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182
^^ Haggled like a man possessed :-P
Now the deed is Done
The color I wanted (the deep blue one) was available in their Goa warehouse so that adds 2 days to the delivery.. Should get it by Saturday (fingers crossed ) :-D
Hi abhi182, congratulations on booking the X1.

I've been in a pretty similar dilemma on my next car purchase, have been driving a Safari for the last six years and am itching to change although this time to a sedan. The discounts on offer on the outgoing 320d are tempting enough to make me want to listen to the heart and rob my own bank but after some careful thought I feel I should settle with maybe a Jetta!!
ankitwanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:13   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo

Hi abhi182, congratulations on booking the X1.

I've been in a pretty similar dilemma on my next car purchase, have been driving a Safari for the last six years and am itching to change although this time to a sedan. The discounts on offer on the outgoing 320d are tempting enough to make me want to listen to the heart and rob my own bank but after some careful thought I feel I should settle with maybe a Jetta!!
Don't think this long, i had wasted precious 6 months in decision making and regret the loss of those six months on getting my hands on the X1, loving every moment of it, if u are upgrading from an Indian SUV the difference is by miles, all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182

Usage profile: 75% city, 25% highway... OK to somewhat bad roads most of the time
Single guy so boot space is not a constraint ...
One thing I love about the SX4 is the high GC so am not too keen on very low slung cars.. Even though the slightly raised stance is a bit of an issue on tight curves but am more than OK to offset it against the everyday benefits I get from a high GC car
X1 has a better GC compared to Sedan but not comparable to a Scorpio or Safari. It comes with all the driveability features of a Bimmer and that is what makes all the difference, tested its capabilities on Udaipur Ahmedabad ghat section and i must admit i was amazed (of course, after a Scorpio the difference was huge), it handled all the curves and braking without even a screech and was faster (by a huge difference) than all other vehicles on those roads. The only factor i was and am still worried is about the run flat tyres and the absence of a stepney, though i managed to drive all the way from Delhi to Kerala in this and BMW offers free tyres on a puncture, just that lack of peace of mind, though it is all settled down after having driven 12k km on this and still to drive back from Kerala, i completely recommend this purchase.

EDIT: congrats on booking it, good decision, saw your next post a bit late

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Also Avoid using SMS language e.g. type you instead of u

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th September 2012 at 00:00. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 13:15   #183
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Guys - need your suggestion - Is it a good idea to buy an X1 and buy a spare Tyre+Rim separately. I was looking at some good offers on used X1s and I do not mind if the Tyre occupies the boot-space. I mainly plan to ferry passengers only and the Tyre occupying boot space is not much of a concern to me.

Please share views
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 13:27   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Guys - need your suggestion - Is it a good idea to buy an X1 and buy a spare Tyre+Rim separately. I was looking at some good offers on used X1s and I do not mind if the Tyre occupies the boot-space.
A friend has done this and loses out on the flat storage space in the boot. If you are ok with this, you can go ahead.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:12   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Guys - need your suggestion - Is it a good idea to buy an X1 and buy a spare Tyre+Rim separately. I was looking at some good offers on used X1s and I do not mind if the Tyre occupies the boot-space. I mainly plan to ferry passengers only and the Tyre occupying boot space is not much of a concern to me.

Please share views
If you are ready to part with the bootspace then i believe this is the best option. X1 with a spare tyre, well you cannot ask anything more.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 22:11   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand

Don't think this long, i had wasted precious 6 months in decision making and regret the loss of those six months on getting my hands on the X1, loving every moment of it, if u are upgrading from an Indian SUV the difference is by miles, all the best

Thanks rajeshchand for the encouragement, although I prefer the 320d over the X1 but may have to delay the purchase owing to budgetary constraints! 😥
ankitwanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 21:48   #187
BHPian

Quote:

Please share views
Mate exactly in same ship. Almost zeroing in on the X1. Let me know how your purchase option/ experience goes. I would probably be taking your advice when I get my Beamer in the next 2 months in Chennai. Thanks in advance.
BoeingDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 21:37   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Mate exactly in same ship. Almost zeroing in on the X1. Let me know how your purchase option/ experience goes. I would probably be taking your advice when I get my Beamer in the next 2 months in Chennai. Thanks in advance.
Just as an encouragement, i did a Delhi Kerala roundtrip of about 6500km in all on a 5 month old X1 s20D on run flat tyres with no spares on some good and real bad roads, the roads after monsoon can be pretty disgusting for those tyres, but i have returned with everything intact and the vhicle going to service in the next couple weeks having hit the mileage mark of 15k km. i never faced any ugly moment on the road with the tyres, this drive has ended up building confidence in me for run flats, except there being only one fact, older the tyre is the more prone it is to punctures, so a spare tyre is a good idea. My plan is to shift to normal radial tyres with a full fledged spare tyre when i go for the change of first set of tyres.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 22:46   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Just as an encouragement, i did a Delhi Kerala roundtrip of about 6500km in all on a 5 month old X1 s20D on run flat tyres with no spares on some good and real bad roads, the roads after monsoon can be pretty disgusting for those tyres, but i have returned with everything intact and the vhicle going to service in the next couple weeks having hit the mileage mark of 15k km. i never faced any ugly moment on the road with the tyres, this drive has ended up building confidence in me for run flats, except there being only one fact, older the tyre is the more prone it is to punctures, so a spare tyre is a good idea. My plan is to shift to normal radial tyres with a full fledged spare tyre when i go for the change of first set of tyres.
Thanks mate. That definitely is an confidence boosting post. If I may ask a few questions lingering on my mind:-
1. Do you drive the Highline version with I Drive if yes do you think that I drive is worth the difference in cost between the base and highline.
2. How would you rate the driving experience between your previously driven vehicles with X1.
3. May I ask you what is it costing like to maintain the X1. (I am thinking of getting the BSI Ultimate if I zero in on BMW).

Thanks a lot mate and btw your road trip sounds real fun. It would be nice to read a feedback on how your trip went and how the X1 behaved.

Adieus Amigo.
Old 18th September 2012, 23:24   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Thanks mate. That definitely is an confidence boosting post. If I may ask a few questions lingering on my mind:-
1. Do you drive the Highline version with I Drive if yes do you think that I drive is worth the difference in cost between the base and highline.
2. How would you rate the driving experience between your previously driven vehicles with X1.
3. May I ask you what is it costing like to maintain the X1. (I am thinking of getting the BSI Ultimate if I zero in on BMW).

Thanks a lot mate and btw your road trip sounds real fun. It would be nice to read a feedback on how your trip went and how the X1 behaved.

Adieus Amigo.
Would love to answer those questions:

1. No, i drive the basic diesel version without idrive, angel eyes and sun roof, i believe those are the only things extra in the highline version, in my opinion this totally depends on your budget, if you have the budget then go for it as angel eyes itself is worth the money, though if it do not fall within your budget then you should not drop the idea of buying it as the sheer driving pleasure of a beemer is worth it.
2. Previously i have driven a Scorpio and did 125k km in it through the length and breadth of the country, the driving pleasure and the difference is very huge and cannot be compared, but then that is a comparison with Scorpio, it depends on what is your current vehicle before upgrading, due to the run flats the drive is a bit rough than many sedans but comparable to many SUVs on Indian roads. The steering is bit on the tighter side though that gives you the complete road feedback which is very handy on highways while on 3 digit speeds. During my stint of 5 months i have touched some speeds which otherwise i wouldnt have done on other vehicles that i owned and i never ever felt out of control with the controls of the car and never felt that i am taking too much risk. Driveability, handling and the safety features are just worth the money.
3. Till the 15k km i have not spend anything on maintenance, waiting for the first bill after servicing to see what the maintenance cost is. There is a warranty till 60k km, so as per my calculations it do not make sense to spend another 2.5 lakh on the BSI, but then if you do not want to see those hefty bills after servicing as well as complete peace of mind then you should go for the BSI.

The X1 behaved excellent on all road conditions that the varied terrains offered, especially with monsoon rains and potholed roads it was a roller coaster at many places, but it just kept fine. It was real fun driving on those super expressways where the vehicle could show its full potential, very fast and quick to pull away from bunch of trucks that you suddenly encounter on highways, could manage to squeeze out of city traffic just due to its compact size, top it all admiring eyes everywhere even from the cops who never thought of flagging us down, we enjoyed it thoroughly and is planning for our next sojourn.

Of course, there will be a full feedback from me on the ownership experience as well as the drive, i am waiting for the vehicle to go through the first service.

Hope this helps in your decision making. Go for it

Last edited by rajeshchand : 18th September 2012 at 23:29.
rajeshchand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 00:03   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post

Of course, there will be a full feedback from me on the ownership experience as well as the drive, i am waiting for the vehicle to go through the first service.

Hope this helps in your decision making. Go for it
Mate. First of all, A BIG THANK YOU for such a comprehensive reply. Now I feel more confident on getting the X1. As you rightly pointed out, the Angel Eyes themselves are a good reason to get the HighLine Version. I would probably work my finances out and calculate the difference. My initial plan was to buy the chevrolet cruze. But IMHO, there is not a single diesel sedan in the D Segment that is worth buying in Indian Market. I dont believe in Skoda or Volkswagen. I am only left with Cruze or going up to X1. At home, my folks are against the idea of buying an american car. I dont want to go against their opinion either. So its ought to be the X1. Stretching my budget to the F30 or A4 would be a bit too much considering the fact that I have already stretched it from Cruze to the X1. Mate, I am going to eagerly wait for your ownership review before I make that one final decision. Looking forward to it with anticipation. Cheers !!
Old 19th September 2012, 17:07   #192
BHPian

The X1 20d is being offered at a discounted price of Rs. 21,70,000 in Chandigarh till 23rd Sep.
Guess they'll keep giving the discount even after that if the new X1 is being launched soon.

Saw pictures of new X1. I believe a discount for 4-5L is worth taking rather than waiting for the new launch with 26L+ ex showroom.
Abhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 13:56   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhas View Post
The X1 20d is being offered at a discounted price of Rs. 21,70,000 in Chandigarh till 23rd Sep.
Guess they'll keep giving the discount even after that if the new X1 is being launched soon.

Saw pictures of new X1. I believe a discount for 4-5L is worth taking rather than waiting for the new launch with 26L+ ex showroom.
I also find some stock clearance offers for X1 at Delhi-NCR, see this link http://bharathautos.com/bmw-x1-range...1990-lakh.html
They are generally offering discounts for the petrol variant, i doubt any discounts offered on diesel variants as they are currently selling well and is the market leader in the segment, if the price offered is for diesel then it is worth all the money.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 10:03   #194
BHPian

The X1 s20d is being offered for Rs.21.7L in Delhi as well, there's an ad in today's newspaper.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 10:52   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
The X1 s20d is being offered for Rs.21.7L in Delhi as well, there's an ad in today's newspaper.
That's quite a good offer, especially when compared to high variants of D1 segment sedans like the Jetta highline DSG. This means the facelifted X1 should be arriving soon.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote