Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd September 2012, 19:16   #196
BHPian

Default Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Guys, this new price puts it bang against the Fortuner AT... does one have to chose practicality against brand? or is there a detail that actually makes one better than the other?

My usage is mostly in the city - with bad roads of the NCR. Help!
bajajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:57   #197
BHPian

Cool BMW X1 SDRIVE 20D Tested!

Got a call from BMW yesterday that the test drive X1 is ready and available for test drive. I inquired about the new 3 Series but as it was out of my budget one of my friend working their asked me to take a test drive of the BMW X1. So, I agreed to him and today in the morning my friend sent me the car with an executive for the test drive.

BMW X1 Specification and prices:

Variant Tested: BMW X1 sDrive20d Exclusive
Four-cylinder diesel engine with all-aluminium crankcase, turbocharger
with variable intake geometry and common-rail direct fuel injection
Capacity: 1,995 cc,
Max Output: 130 kW/177 hp at 4,000 rpm
Max torque: 350 Nm from 1,750 3,000 rpm
Acceleration 0100 km/h: 8.3 sec
Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic with Manual Option
Top speed: 205 km/h
Average fuel consumption to the ARAI standard: 15.2 kilometres / ltr
Tyres: 225/50/R17 Runflat Tyres
Brakes: All 4 Disc brakes with ABS and EBD

On Road Price: 35.55 Lakh

EXTERIOR:

Well, the car has been around for more than a couple of years so most of you must be familiar with its looks. The SUV looks very aggressive and surely attracts the young crowds. At least I was attracted to it when I saw it for the first time. It looks pretty similar to the previous generation X3 except the larger typical Kidney grille. The Exclusive variant which I got for the test had projector headlamps with washers which add an appeal of its own and gave the vehicle a slightly more better look complimenting the design. The fog lamps are pretty effective though wasn't expecting that as it was deeply embedded in the front bumper.

I am not a fan of roof rails and hate them in every car I see but the roof rails in X1 attracted me and it added the SUV charm even further in the vehicle. I just loved the 17inch light star spoke alloys which further enhanced the look and made it look even more sporty.

From the rear, it looked like any other BMW SUV so really don't want to get into that though the by looking at the side profile we can say that the glass slopes up towards the rear and large wheel arches gives it some extra muscle. Yes, it doesn't have the ride height of the Fortuner or the Pajero, but as we know this SUV is a soft-roader with minimal off roading capabilities it was fine for me.

INTERIORS:

The moment you step in, you are greeted by high quality plastics,the large panoramic roof, a well laid out dash which is not cluttered thanks to the idrive and the start-stop button. Two-tone beige and black interiors go well with the car and frankly I really liked it. The build quality is top notch with excellent fit and finish but it looked pretty similar to the old 3 Series which is again typical BMW.

There is a small storage place in the dash and you also have the armrest box which has more storage but there are no cupholders though because the idrive eats up that place. But you do get a bottle holder on the door pad.

The car has dual-zone climate control which is very effective and chills the cabin quickly but no rear A/C vents in it was seriously disappointing. I liked the wooden touch given as it adds classiness to the cabin. I found the seats to be a bit firm but supportive and had lumbar support. Presence of a memory option helps to retain settings. What I liked was hat the memory is not only for the seats, but the outside rear view mirrors also. Another great touch is that on putting the car in reverse, the left mirror moves down thus allowing you to see the kerb/footpath while parking which ensures you do not hit any stone or anything which you would have missed while judging the spot. BMW X1 top end variant had iDrive standard with a 8.8 inch display and like all the buttons present at the central console.

The same screen shows the rear parking display when we put the car in reverse. The car comes with AUX-in and USB connectivity to ensure you never run out of music on the drive.The Exclusive also has a 12GB Hard Disk for storing files which is again a good feature I liked. integrated Bluetooth allows for pairing of ones mobile phone with the car and can be toggled from the same controller but unfortunately my Blackberry didn't paired so couldn't test it. The sound quality was above average which was again disappointing for me though liked 8 CD Changer option. The large panoramic sunroof is obviously electrically operated and really improves the ambiance of the cabin. It was raining so made the experience even better. The boot space is HUGE at 450l and the seats can be folded 40-20-40 to accommodate a small sized bed. So, anyone craving for boot space will surely love this vehicle.

COMFORT:

As I mentioned above, the seats are a bit firm but supportive and had lumbar support. Both the rows have decent under thigh support though the car doesn't seem what it claims from outside. The legroom was sufficient and the rear seats were comfortable but just for 2 people. The high transmission tunnel doesn't make it easy for the 3rd person on long drives and lack of Rear A/C vents made things worse. Frankly, I think X1 is a bit cramped and not that good if you prefer backseat. I loved the headroom, it was pretty good and gave a commanding view of road which was really good.

PERFORMANCE:

This is the part which i was looking forward to the most, as its a beemer! The X1 uses push button start/stop technology and the car gets off the mark well initially with minimal lag(below 1500rpm). The 6 Speed automatic gear box did a decent job but the manual option was a bit disappointing as the sudden punch was missing. Expected the car to be equipped with paddle shift but was shocked to see that it didn't even had that!

Being a BMW its handling was awesome, didn't feel any body roll and I was shocked to see the sharp handling and really enjoyed my drive. What I didn't like was at lower speeds, the steering is a bit too heavy for my liking. It takes quiet a lot of effort at parking speeds but once your upto speeds, it weighs up well and gives excellent feedback at high speed.
The SUV had 225/50/R17 runflat tyres and The ride quality on the whole is good - it is soft and it soaks up all the bumps pretty well even with the runflats. The brakes are also very sharp and bring the car to a halt with ease.

I did manage light off-roading with the vehicle and well the car handled it surprisingly well, even with the lack of a 4wd system. Thanks to its high ground clearance for that! In city it does pretty well job.

I am an aggressive driver and acceleration is the main thing I see and well it did a great job the power was coming pretty well and throttle was pretty good. I did around 100kmph in I guess 8.3 seconds. The mileage according to the executive was 10 in city and around 13 on highways which was sufficient for me.
Overall I felt the engine is very smooth and in terms of drive/handling, I doubt any SUV in this segment can match it . So i'm pretty sure it will be able to manage most of what a general customer will put it through, be it sand,slush or bad bumps.

VERDICT:

BMW X1 is a pretty good package. The Great road manners, decent space and great performance with decent mileage makes it a good deal. Though I think the car is a bit over priced and seriously lacks some major features like Rear A/C Vents, Front Parking Sensors etc which is shocking for a car at this price! Basically, if you want an SUV and love driving pleasure its the perfect car for you though if you want a comfortable backseat and fully loaded interiors going in for Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series makes much more sense.

My Rating: 8 out of 10

What I Liked:

Handling
Engine Performance
Automatic adjustment of The rear view mirror when reversing
Overall Performance

What I Didn't Like:

No Rear A/C Vents
Heavy steering at low speed makes city driving difficult
No front Parking Sensors
Paddle Shift Missing
Run flat tyres Expensive To Repair
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:44   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD
Got a call from BMW yesterday that the test drive X1 is ready and available for test drive. I inquired about the new 3 Series but as it was out of my budget one of my friend working their asked me to take a test drive of the BMW X1. So, I agreed to him and today in the morning my friend sent me the car with an executive for the test drive.
Thanks for the excellent first drive report.

35.5 lakes is indeed a bit steep, but I assume there will be a bit of discounts on top of this, especially since the midlife facelift is already out in other markets.

Actually the base 20d looks like a more compelling option, if you are not too bothered of the sun-roof, real leather seats, and iDrive.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:59   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for the excellent first drive report.

35.5 lakes is indeed a bit steep, but I assume there will be a bit of discounts on top of this, especially since the midlife facelift is already out in other markets.

Actually the base 20d looks like a more compelling option, if you are not too bothered of the sun-roof, real leather seats, and iDrive.
Thanks buddy! Glad you liked it.
I am getting free insurance that's it and would have got Corporate discount but not taking it. Actually, my dad doesn't allow to buy base models and well I am now thinking of getting a sedan because its any day more fun than an UV. Most probably will be going for the Laura vRS or Mercedes Benz B-Class.
YashD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:08   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajm View Post
Guys, this new price puts it bang against the Fortuner AT... does one have to chose practicality against brand? or is there a detail that actually makes one better than the other?

BMW if you plan to ferry 5 people and NO Off-roading. Fortuner if you prefer road presence and 7 seater.

on the whole - Fortuner is cheaper to maintain than X1.

X1 does not give you anything except entry into the BMW Club.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:20   #201
BHPian

Quote:

I would frankly suggest you to go for the Santa Fe, its anyday better than Fortuner and ticks your requirements. Check out the over drive's review and I am sure you will get an answer.

http://overdrive.in/details/1757/Com...s-Koleos-vs-X1
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:47   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Actually, my dad doesn't allow to buy base models and well I am now thinking of getting a sedan because its any day more fun than an UV. Most probably will be going for the Laura vRS or Mercedes Benz B-Class.
Well, I think the X1 being a BMW based on the old 3-series touring, should offer the fun of a Laura vRS, or even more. For me its more of a raised hatchback or a station-wagon.

Infact I did not understand your last line. You mentioned that a sedan is more fun than a UV, and then you have mentioned Merc B, which is more like a shrunken MPV
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:51   #203
BHPian

I agree to that and well I will be most probably buying the VRS. Would buy Mercedes B-Class for its exclusivity.
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:23   #204
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X1 SDRIVE 20D Tested!

Quote:
What I Didn't Like:
Heavy steering at low speed makes city driving difficult
No front Parking Sensors
Paddle Shift Missing
Run flat tyres Expensive To Repair
My X1 got punctured recently, drove it for around 5kms at 40kmph and got it repaired at a local shop for Rs.100. (I haven't switched to the tubeless... Talking about the OEM Pirelli Run Flats)

& I believe that the front parking sensors should have been there. Not sure why BMW India isn't offering it on their entry level vehicles (Even the 328i doesn't have em). Maybe because of our bumper-to-bumper traffic!?

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 23rd September 2012 at 14:24.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:16   #205
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X1 SDRIVE 20D Tested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
My X1 got punctured recently, drove it for around 5kms at 40kmph and got it repaired at a local shop for Rs.100. (I haven't switched to the tubeless... Talking about the OEM Pirelli Run Flats)

& I believe that the front parking sensors should have been there. Not sure why BMW India isn't offering it on their entry level vehicles (Even the 328i doesn't have em). Maybe because of our bumper-to-bumper traffic!?
Nice man! good to hear that.
the lack of front parking sensors is an issue. The length of X1 from the front is a bit too much and parking it in tight spot is a bit difficult. Really missed that feature. Actually, BMW never offered much features in their base variants. For e.g even the old 3 Series 320i and 320D lacked quite a few features which you deserved at that price!
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD
BMW never offered much features in their base variants. For e.g even the old 3 Series 320i and 320D lacked quite a few features which you deserved at that price!
I suppose they have put a price for that logo and grill which is why they have priced it so and still selling heavily
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 11:19   #207
BHPian

here's a picture of the ad that I was able to pick up.
Attached Images

duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 14:56   #208
BHPian

Quote:

So what did you finally decide on the X1 ? Did you went and book it yesterday ?
Abhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 00:54   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
I suppose they have put a price for that logo and grill which is why they have priced it so and still selling heavily
obviously brother but even Audi A4 and Mercedes C Class have base variants but they haven't compromised on features and have priced their variants according to that.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:42   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Nice man! good to hear that.
the lack of front parking sensors is an issue. The length of X1 from the front is a bit too much and parking it in tight spot is a bit difficult. Really missed that feature. Actually, BMW never offered much features in their base variants. For e.g even the old 3 Series 320i and 320D lacked quite a few features which you deserved at that price!
Thanks bro. I do agree but such is life haha. Though you won't care about the missing features when you're behind the wheel I can guarantee you and the Sheer Driving Pleasure thingy makes up for all the missing stuffs .

Quote:
obviously brother but even Audi A4 and Mercedes C Class have base variants but they haven't compromised on features and have priced their variants according to that.
Maybe its that way with the BM because they make the most driver oriented cars in comparison to the other two and their main target is FuelHeads who want a no-nonsense car... For example, the DS mode of a BMW is alone worthy of making a customer sign a cheque in favor of the Blue propeller dealer. (Talking about the FuelHeads)

I do have a couple of Mercs in the family, the C220 and the E350CDI and their equipment list just goes on and on and on... And on the paper you can say they are more powerful than the 3er and 5er respectively but when you get behind the wheel, you won't even think of comparing the 'fun' and the 'drivability' part of the two vehicles. & since we are talking about 'base' models, I certainly agree with you that Audi, in the A4 haven't compromised on any features. Instead, they offered a 140 odd bhp motor with their EPIC CVT gearbox

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 25th September 2012 at 12:00.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote