Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th November 2010, 23:34   #46
BHPian

Exclamation likely launch?

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2010 at 19:57.
racing4cure is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2010, 02:01   #47
BHPian

excellent first drive report Sid,

i have fallen in love with the X1, its perfect urban crossover. not too big not tiny either.

i would like to point out that comparison in europe has been done by car mags and auto shows of bmw X1 with the Skoda Yeti. the spec in india don't match but in europe similar speced versions were compared. and they said Skoda yeti is VFM and can do a bit more off-roading. so it won!

but assuming Skoda yeti 16 -18 lacs and BMW X1 CE assuming at 23 lacs. i think the BMW X1 wins hands down. in all departments. except in sporting activities. but i still feel its in a different class or maybe a class above the others in this price segment! skoda yeti is kewl but 16-18 lacs seem a bit too much. but i won't mind spending it on a bmw X1 if they price it right.
i think i have started to believe."good things come in small packages"

Last edited by Caramelo : 15th November 2010 at 02:07.
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 07:19   #48
Team-BHP Support

There's another X1 thread going where the OTR price has been quoted as 36 lac for highline and 30 lac for the corporate edition. These are OTR Mumbai. So much for dreaming of oning one ....bah!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 19:48   #49
BHPian

Excellent report Sid.

You have really captured all the relevant information in an unbiased manner. The pricing seems to be the most attractive "show stealer" for this vehicle as owning a BMW at a price of around 25k would be a dream for a lot of people.

IMHO - I am a person who prefers to keep the sedan & SUV in different segments and prefer the 3 series for the aggressive look. Having got one recently might definitely have something to do with it - but I would not have changed my mind after having seen the pics of the X1.
keen.to.know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 20:41   #50
BHPian

good report Sid.

But I was thinking as you said its not for you at that price point. How about BMW launches 1 series, it starts at 17610 pounds (Rs. 12.7 lakhs) for 116i ES in UK.

A coupe 120i es starts at 21735 pounds and goes on to 30675 pounds (Rs. 22 lakhs plus offers) for a 135i M Sport (306 bhp)

BMW PLEASE LET US HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 22:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
owning a BMW at a price of around 25k would be a dream for a lot of people.
Oops Read that as 25L.

Otherwise the line outside the BMW showrooms will stretch to the other end of the city
keen.to.know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:27   #52
BHPian

saw the car at the cochin dealership on sunday. was parked amidst a large number of f10 5 series and x6s and looked really small. interiors on the cbu model came in brown dakota leather and looked fab. Its RWD only at least for now. If BMW markets it as an expensive ho hatch in the league of mini it may sell well but i suspect that a prospective fortuner /crv owner will feel it to be very small and cramped and even with the badge may not sell well especially the highline version that costs 30lakh.i would say for that money the 3 series is a better car.
nirmalkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 02:05   #53
BHPian

Cool car. The thing to see would be that who are the people buying this car. There is a good change that the 3-series would suffer some cannibalization from X1 if the latter goes on to be popular. And given the 'bigger-is-better' logic that most Indians apply while buying cars, there is a good chance for X1 to become a hit.

However, is there a Merc to rival the X1? or the Q3 the only direct competitor is has among the Germans?
vivekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Cool car. The thing to see would be that who are the people buying this car. There is a good change that the 3-series would suffer some cannibalization from X1 if the latter goes on to be popular. And given the 'bigger-is-better' logic that most Indians apply while buying cars, there is a good chance for X1 to become a hit.

However, is there a Merc to rival the X1? or the Q3 the only direct competitor is has among the Germans?

there is.. Q3 is the one and the other is VW Tiguan, price of this anybody?
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 15:22   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
there is.. Q3 is the one and the other is VW Tiguan, price of this anybody?
Size-wise Tiguan will be roughly around the CRV category, and on pricing it goes along with the Honda CRV, Skoda Yeti etc.

Other than Q3, Mini Countryman looks like a worthy competition (from the same family though)
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:45   #56
BHPian

Firstly, another great scoop Sid.

Moving on to the car. BMW has always had excellent alloy designs, this one being no exception. But yes, they always bring in the drab designs as standard & these as options. Further, i wonder when they will move on to tubeless from run-flats for the Indian market.

Also, as already mentioned by most, this is definately a segment buster. Even though its a quirky design & some may find the "SAV" proposition a bit odd, this car is going to be a clear winner solely for one reason:
It would be the entry level automobile (read cheapest) for the consumer to get onto the BMW brand bandwagon.
Regardless of which segment it belongs to or that its a soft roader or a sedan, this car will be the cheapest BMW you can buy. Period.
And for that reason alone, its already a winner.

For the kind of money you would spend for a premium Honda, Skoda or Nissan & VW, you can now get a BMW. People who want to buy a 30 lakh car can now save & yet buy a BMW, while on the other side, people who want a 20 lakh car, will easily stretch that little bit more to bring home a BMW

For us consumers, all i can think of is that its great that the industry is opening up & we are getting so many options & at competitive prices. Think of BMW bringing in the Mini Countryman below the X1 (18-22 lakhs) and they are going to be dominating the market.

Last edited by Xehaust : 18th November 2010 at 20:46.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 23:06   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post

Also, as already mentioned by most, this is definately a segment buster. Even though its a quirky design & some may find the "SAV" proposition a bit odd, this car is going to be a clear winner solely for one reason:
It would be the entry level automobile (read cheapest) for the consumer to get onto the BMW brand bandwagon.
Regardless of which segment it belongs to or that its a soft roader or a sedan, this car will be the cheapest BMW you can buy. Period.
And for that reason alone, its already a winner.

For the kind of money you would spend for a premium Honda, Skoda or Nissan & VW, you can now get a BMW. People who want to buy a 30 lakh car can now save & yet buy a BMW, while on the other side, people who want a 20 lakh car, will easily stretch that little bit more to bring home a BMW

For us consumers, all i can think of is that its great that the industry is opening up & we are getting so many options & at competitive prices. Think of BMW bringing in the Mini Countryman below the X1 (18-22 lakhs) and they are going to be dominating the market.
I do agree with you with most of the things you've said.

However, I'd like to add my observations.

Now it's great that BMW have introduced the X1 and the 3-Series in the Corporate Edition avatar. A bare, basic, car that they hope to sell, hoping that the BMW badge works its magic on several potential premium-Honda/Toyota/Nissan/VW customers. And in all probability, there will be several customers ready to put down a few extra lakhs just so that they can see a BMW parked in their driveway. It will definitely put a bigger smile on their faces.

But then there are another set of customers who believe that a BMW should have the trademark features that a luxury car has. For example, electrically adjustable seats, heated-seats, iDrive and so on. And these people will ask themselves: "What's the point in buying a BMW when I don't feel special in it? It doesn't have all these nice features that I would otherwise expect in a BMW! Should I really put down 30 lakhs and get myself something that makes my neighbour envious and makes me look rich, or should I buy a Skoda Superb that offers much more than the Bimmer and still makes me look rich?"

Honestly, I'd buy a Skoda Superb and be pampered rather than buy a BMW and give my arms a good work-out in order to get the seating position right.

Just my two cents!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th November 2010 at 23:08.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 00:55   #58
BHPian

Correct me if i am wrong here but the X1 Highline will definitely come with electrically adjustable seats. "give my arms a good work-out"?!
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 01:04   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Correct me if i am wrong here but the X1 Highline will definitely come with electrically adjustable seats. "give my arms a good work-out"?!
You're right. The X1 Highline should come with electric-seats. But that's not the one I'm talking about. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I'm referring to the Corporate Edition of both the X1 (if there is one) and the 3-Series. After all, the topic of discussion is if BMW can successfully woo potential premium VW/Honda/Toyota customers.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 02:24   #60
BHPian

True, but how many Indians have you seen buying cars for the features rather than the snob value? The bitter truth is that around 90 percent or more who buy in this price range are more hung on prestige rather than comfort. In other terms, what they want is to show others rather than enjoy themselves.

The other 10 percent (mostly less than 5) are either enthusiasts like us who have some knowledge or people who want to spend on themselves & not on the perceptions of others.

There are so many people who have asked me for advice on a car in the 20-30 lakh price range. Ive suggested a Teana or a Superb, based purely on how much more they offer in terms of comfort as im talking about people who will be chauffeur driven all the time & would be seated at the back. Not one has bothered to even check these cars out, rubbishing it instantly & buying either a 3 series or a C class even though both are cramped at the rear when compared to the Teana or the Superb & also above the price range they had decided to spend.

Last edited by Xehaust : 19th November 2010 at 02:36.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote