Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th December 2010, 10:19   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
You know what, you just may be a 100% correct. the x1 NON-xenon in the UK is sold without the corona rings so i wouldnt be surprised if the same was the case here. Although, the 320CE kept the corona rings with the halogens. Its definitely worth looking into. minor as it may be, would be a deal breaker for me.
I think, even if the base version comes without corona rings, you can easily swap them with the headlights of the top end executive version with xenons & corona rings at the BMW A.S.S.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 12:31   #122
BHPian

Smile Re: First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I think, even if the base version comes without corona rings, you can easily swap them with the headlights of the top end executive version with xenons & corona rings at the BMW A.S.S.
I have the 320D CE with the halogens and the corona rings. Wanted to get xenons for my car. Bmw parts dept told me it would be almost Rs. 2.50 lacs and if not more to get the oiginal BMW xenon kit installed on the 320D CE. I felt that spending so much for just the xenons is not worth it.

If one really wanted the xenons and the corona rings, best to hiccup the moolah for the Exclusive edition rather than buying the basic version and spending lacs later to add things such as xenons etc. I feel that most buyers who buy a vehicle costing updwards of Rs. 25.00 lacs OTR can extend by another few lacs and get the top end version in the 1st place. Just my opinion.

Last edited by ackyash : 25th December 2010 at 12:32. Reason: errors
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 13:28   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Unlike the cross-over X1, the B-Class is a hatch / tall-boy, which to my knowledge, compete with the 1-series and A3. And it looks the most dated pick in the Merc stable now. But maybe they bring up the update as a competition to X1.
For me, the immediate competition to the X1 can be Mini Countryman (if launched in India), and a fully loaded Yeti with DSG auto.
Precisely.

I had mentioned in my earlier post that the B-Class is not in the same segment as the X1. It's definitely not immediate competition. One is a mini-cross over and the other is a compact mini-van. However, in terms of pricing, they could be very close, and if Mercedes does introduce the B here, it could look at volumes as well.

After all, BMW is not bothered about the positioning of the X1 in terms of segments. They are looking at volumes too. And Mercedes could bring in volumes if they look at introducing the B in the same 'price-segment'.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 19:00   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
I have the 320D CE with the halogens and the corona rings. Wanted to get xenons for my car. Bmw parts dept told me it would be almost Rs. 2.50 lacs and if not more to get the oiginal BMW xenon kit installed on the 320D CE. I felt that spending so much for just the xenons is not worth it.

If one really wanted the xenons and the corona rings, best to hiccup the moolah for the Exclusive edition rather than buying the basic version and spending lacs later to add things such as xenons etc. I feel that most buyers who buy a vehicle costing updwards of Rs. 25.00 lacs OTR can extend by another few lacs and get the top end version in the 1st place. Just my opinion.
I was quoted 2.8lcs for the switch. Its not just the xenon lamps that they put in but the whole new assembly...the xenons swivel with the steering wheel and adjust with the angle of the road, pretty fancy stuff! hence the high cost.
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 21:20   #125
BHPian

Ah Went over to Navnith motors at Bangalore in electronic city.

firstly i notice that they have plenty of customer who want to see the car.at least ten arrived during the 1 hr duration i was there the sales person claims to have booking for 40 cars.

coming to the car.

well hmmm not bad is all i can say.if you want an SUV then keep away!

something's i noticed very very poor interior plastics. the center console looks like its out of a maruthi.

the rear seat they feel like your sitting in a hole. the seats feel like your sitting on a bench. poor quality over all the plastic rear end of the front seats facing the back seats again really poor quality!. another point with the front seats fully pushed back i notice there is no place for the rear passenger to place his feet.maybe all german cars have hard cushion seats they appear to be similar to the 3 series seats.

the front seats are quite good and have 12 way or how many ever way power adjustments.can see the front bonnet quite well, that's like the plus point to me.

sales rep say no test drive until the first week of january

as for the cars styling i'd say no exactly too much to my liking. prefer the godzilla fortuner.

can confirm the corporate version has non xenon corona ring as per sales rep.

how ever neglected to note if the auto has a sports mode. there was no paddle shift seen thou.

Further all i can say is i'm waiting to get the test drive. to round it off i'd say this car has really poor plastic interior quality used.
as for buying it about 80: 20 mind set right now between the godzilla and the baby x.although i am strongly leaning into the X.

unable to upload the price list pic. tomorrow will try.
price on road listed in bangalore is 18i-28.2 lakhs. 20d- 30,5lakhs , 20d exclusive or high line 38.06 lakhs. 20d cool elegance 41.30 lakhs
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 23:16   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
can confirm the corporate version has non xenon corona ring as per sales rep.
you mean the base variant has corona rings but no xenons, right?
Old 25th December 2010, 23:37   #127
BHPian

Yes Base variant has halogen corona rings.

how ever can anyone comment on the run flat tyres, how expensive they are to maintain etc. no of km to replacement.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:27   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Base variant has halogen corona rings.
Thats good to hear since i feel the corona rings give the "BMW" touch to the car... when we see a car with daytime running LED strips, we know an Audi has arrived. when we see a car with circular corona rings, we know a BMW is coming!
Old 26th December 2010, 11:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

@Abhishek: My friend drives an ANHC and his father was interested in purchasing the X1. He was very impressed with the car when he saw it. The first thing he said was that in comparison to the ANHC, you sit very high up! Also, he mentioned that the waiting period is up till June now, and that the leg room was sub par for its price tag. In fact, he found it to be smaller than his fathers corolla, especially in the rear. The front was not much of a problem.

I am trying to get more news on this, and shall be visiting the BMW showroom soon.
In todays market, most consumers buy a vehicle based on the brand, and the showroom experience. It is unfortunate, but true. I doubt BMW would be able to provide 1000s of test drives since the car has been launched.

Will find out about the TD when I go to the showroom.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 12:45   #130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how ever can anyone comment on the run flat tyres, how expensive they are to maintain etc. no of km to replacement.
The Good:

- Can drive 100 - 150 kms even after a puncture

- Near-zero chance of blowout

The Bad:

- Stiffer sidewalls result in horrible ride quality

- Outright grip levels cannot match the best of (regular) performance tyres

- Killer expensive! Think 20,000 per tyre for a 3 series

- What will you do if you are get a flat 300 kms from your nearest BMW dealer? A regular tyre's puncture can be repaired anywhere..not so for runflats.

As most enthusiast BMW owners have done, switch your runflats for regular performance tyres (from Michelin, Yokohama etc.) at the time of delivery itself. Get yourself a space saver spare too.

Quote:
i need to be booking either a Fortuner or an X1 real soon.
Between the Fortuner & the X1, I'd pick the Toyota any day. Proper SUV looks, way more interior space, cheaper, awesome diesel, 4x4 ability and Japanese reliability.

Quote:
you mean to say i can actually demand a TD if i really am booking the car
Obviously! One should never buy a car without test-driving it. Wait for the initial hype to settle down, you'll easily get long test-drives after a couple of days.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 13:18   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Between the Fortuner & the X1, I'd pick the Toyota any day. Proper SUV looks, way more interior space, cheaper, awesome diesel, 4x4 ability and Japanese reliability.

Thank you for the reply!

maybe this if for another topic or thread i don't know

1) Warranty question:
but the question of the tyre arose as i read about the same comments posted by you a long time back.how ever at least in a post date 2009 or 08
it said as i recall replacing the run flat to normal tyres voids warranty.how far is that true.

2) Power well 0-100 in the diesel is up in 8.4 sec that's faster than the 2.0 A4 isn't it.

spec i think is for the fort 172bhp and 343Nm torq
X1 is 177 bhp and 350Nm torq

given the fort is heavier & has a 3 liter engine etc. how can the fortuner 's engine be more awesome. could you shed some light on that.This is something that's making me swing to the X1 more than anything else at all.so it would of great help if some one could help here.

3) Arai Listed fuel consumption figure is 15.4km/l
would that be better than the fortuner s 8 12 city highway figures

or would that be the same figures with the X1

4) as suv wise yes no comparison with the fort, this is a car with poor ground clearance almost.

somethings going in favour of the car.
looks subjective.
speed/power of the diesel engine.
fuel consumption
Brand value
there is a lot of luggage space.
my personal deal winner: i can see the whole front of the car with bonnet ending very reasonably well,which i can't in my ANHC.i hate that i can't do that with the honda.My height is 5'10.

going against
Service costs
Run flat problem
poor plastic interiors
Car like not xactly an suv
rear seats are horrifying

a pic i had taken yesterday

Price list
Attached Thumbnails
First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)-december25th-042.jpg  

First Drive: BMW X1 xDrive 20D (PPP)-sddss.jpg  

Last edited by abishek2222 : 26th December 2010 at 13:22.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:25   #132
BHPian

pune on road x1 price list anyone?
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 22:35   #133
Senior - BHPian

According to the price list, the base X1 diesel costs a cool 6 lakhs more than the fortuner. sigh!

Fortuner & Santa Fe : In budget, bookings closed & long waiting period
BMW X1 : Slightly out of budget
Outlander : No diesel engine
Captiva : Facelift coming soon, but no idea when!
Pajero : Expensive & dated

Best option is to wait till april-may & pray for the X1's price to drop by a couple of lakhs or the fortuner's waiting period to decrease.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:57   #134
BHPian

@raj_5004: Or pray that you win an X1 in a lottery
Does SantaFe also have a long waiting period? I thought its available within 1 month.

@abhishek2222: dont match the figures of BMW X1 with the Fortuner. In that department X1 wins for sure and will be a pleasure to drive. But as GTO mentioned the things going for the fortuner are the reliability, 4x4 and maintenance costs which the X1 cannot match.
Your usage patterns and your interests should drive the decision. Make sure you go for an elaborate TD of the all the vehicles on your option list. After the TD you can make a well informed decision. Also you will get the feel of your future vehicle.
All the best for your decision.

I hope there is an X1 competitor from Audi and Merc.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 09:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

@ himavanth_m : Oh yes, a lottery! the X1 sDrive 20d cool elegance variant would be cool then!

yes, Santa Fe's bookings will open only in April now, when the next lot of 600 Santa Fe arrives. People are pre-booking the car without even a test drive! so the waiting period now is 4 months! If the April lot is sold too, then expect to wait for 6-8 months till the next lot arrives!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th December 2010 at 09:40.