Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th December 2010, 17:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.

Hello All.. It has been a really long time since I have updated thread.. It has been more than a month.. The reason being anvancy was really busy.. But finally he managed to dedicate most of his sunday for the shoot.

A grateful thanks to Anvay and Meghan for taking out your time for the photo shoot that took 5 to 6 hours of hard work.. The Pics are so good that the Tata Motors Executive who runs Aria Fan Page on facebook has approached Anvay for his skills with the camera..

I will also update about the running of the car..
Me and my dad along with my dad's friend left for Akola for getting the car registered the very next day of my last post in this thread.. That is when we really got to tap the car's performance..

That was my first proper drive in our Aria and coming out of the car at the end of a 500 km one way trip left an extra wide grin on our faces.. I even got to drive the car for a decent duration which allowed me to discover few things that my dad would have been unable to.

The car is really very sturdy on the road and there is rarely any effort required to overtake in any condition.. The car drew a lot of attention where ever we stopped for a small break.. I wasn't really supposed to accompany my dad for the trip but was woken up abruptly in the morning and was asked to come along. Had not slept properly so planned to complete my sleep on our way and flattened the front seat to sleep when we stopped at Smile Stone(Mid-way restau between pune-ahmednagar) thats when people surrounded our car and started talking and were really excited to see the car and that didn't allow me to catch up on my sleep so got out of the car and joined my dad and his friend. We returned to the car after 15 mins or so and the crowd only got bigger around it..

Dad had to stop in a town on our way for business purpose and the person he had to meet was astonished after checking out the car in flesh and said that his brother wants to buy a Fortuner and was also interested in an Aria but was skeptical as it is a Tata. My dad recently informed me that the guy bought a Black Aria pride few days later saying "Agar Bali sahabne yeh car kharidi hai toh bahut achi hogi" . This is not the first time my dad has done something of this sort. My dad was one of the first few people to get the Second gen honda city in 2004 and a lot of people bought it just because my dad got it.. The honda dealership gifted my dad a free car music system later.

Now enough of bragging and back to the car.. The car is super smooth and tackles the bad roads with a lot of grace.. The suspension is butter smooth and sturdy.. I wont be able to exactly describe how the feeling is when you go over rough patches and bumps but the feeling has good quality written all over it.. The car really glides over the road.

The handling is superb as well. The trip from Pune to Akola is a mix of ghat, 4 lane road and 2 lane road with over 50 kms of deep potholed and rough patch.. My dad has changed almost 8 cars in the last 10 years and has driven over 5 lakh kms himself so he is a bit of an enthusiast himself.. So streching the car is really not an issue for him.. He cornered the car aggressively whenever he got the chance and felt in control.. I would have started reciting Hanuman chalisa in any other car but felt safe and secured in Aria.. During the trip we kept the car below 3k rpm religiously. But the feeling that you get while driving the car is it can easily and effortlessly reach speeds above 120km/hr..

Now the patch that was full of deep crater like potholes was a real pain to cross. We had to continuously brake and at times we only realized that the a pothole is very deep only upon reaching it or at a distance of few meters. That involved heavy braking and expert maneuvering and the worst part was that I was the one driving the car while crossing that patch and I wasn't really aware of all such craters unlike my dad who does pune-akola-pune 3 to 4 times a month. So it was a very testing experience for me.. I may have not driven as much as my dad but have enough experience so was able to keep the car in control.. Oh wait!! The CAR was helping me to remain in control

I got to drive only over the 2 lane section of the trip but the highway still empty enough to drive constantly in the 5th gear.. There is a need to down shift to 4th once you are below 75 with A/C on because it would take a lot of effort to pull in the 5th gear.. Putting the A/C on economy mode surprisingly gives not a significant but a noticeable boost to the engine.. Doing that allowed me to keep the car in the 5th gear most of the times..

The front A/C vents are a bit weird.. They do manage to throw air on your hand hands while open and on your knees while closed. This caused my left knee to pain for a while once we reached akola and I got down.. The same thing happened to my dad one day when he got down after reaching our office in akola.. Though it hasn't happened again to either of us till now.. I have sort of tweaked the driver seat and steering wheel so that the air hits my torso now..

Now after reaching akola when all of us got down from the car none of us was fatigued.. I would be dashing to my room to rest after getting out from my SX4 or going to a spa after getting out from my swift after such a long trip.. But all three of us were in a very good state and not at all tired. It was all in all a very comfortable and smooth trip..

We then got the car registered and opted for a special number.. For our return trip it was only me and my dad.. And the exciting part was that this time we started for Pune at 8 PM.. The car didn't fail to impress us during the night.. The car's headlamps are very powerful and lighten up the road for vehicles that are ahead of us.. And again we didn't feel tired at all after we reached pune at 4 am and were in good spirits..

I have to say one thing.. That no matter how much I am in love with the car, its rear seats suck.. And have the potential to make a person like me feel claustrophobic.. They are, as you have read several times already, meant only for people below 5" 5'..

The Fuel efficiency was around 13 as the car was driven 90% on highway 10% city and crowded condition.. The car is quite capable of delivering an FE of 15 if driven sedately.. Which is possible only on 4 lane highways on Expressways it can deliver an FE of 16-17.. We have to test it on Mum-Pune expressway as of now.. But the car has effortlessly reached 120 once.. I had to inform my dad that he is driving at 120 and he was really impressed that he didn't even for once feel that we are at such a speed.

The gadgets in the car are quite fun to use but very complicated and I really liked how responsive is the Bluetooth function.. All you have to do is to just port the phone and no need to download any list etc.. It automatically syncs the contacts and recent calls with the car's system.. One thing that is really very annoying about the music system is the volume is by default set at 11 which is quite loud and there is no option to switch off just the music system. So in case you want to only use either phone or GPS you have to start the music system.. I have even tried searching for the option to lower the default volume but it is not present.. So now I have kept the music input as AUX and not FM.. Which is quite annoying for me a I rarely use CDs or AUX/USB for music.. Thankfully the default music option isnt FM.. And as we really dont use the display as much.. Except for when my dad needs to answer the call while driving. We still haven't received the GPS cd and dad doesn't like to listen to music in the car.. So the display is switched off most of the time so the volume that you set for FM before the display is switched off is not saved..

As the pune-akl-pune trip was of 1k km total we had to take the car for its first servicing.. The SA's number was provided a day in advance for our appointment.. The door lock mounts, jack compartment cover rattle and the door window glass vibrate over rough patches.. The SA was informed of this and he took the car to a place where he could verify all that.. We left the service center as the SA said that the car could delivered at 5 PM that meant 5 hours of wait.. The SA arranged for a drop as well.. Then I got a call from him informing that the car will be delivered the next day.. After collecting the car the next day I still could feel that the vibration and rattling was still present.. They were really minor to even bother so left it at that.. To say I never really expected to get a good service from Pandit Auto.. The biggest crooks in Pune.. When they can give a car that was meant for us to someone else.. We were the first customer to buy an Aria from them and yet received the vehicle a month after we were supposed to get it due to that.. You cannot really expect anything from people who have gone down to that level.. When the SA can get hostile on receiving 9 out of 10 for addressing the issues what can one do.. I am not gonna really mention it to either Tata Motors or Pandit Auto.. Will wait for millennium mobility to come soon with their Tata dealership as I have good experience with them for my SX4 and Swift.. Plus they were the erstwhile Mercedes dealers..

To sum it up I am really happy with the car.. And my dad tells whoever is ready to listen that it is his best car till date.. Every member in my family, relatives and friends are just taken by surprise when they get a round in the car.. They egress with their jaws hitting the ground.. They expect to find a Tata car full of negatives but are speechless at the end..

Now for some pics as well
Attached Thumbnails
A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-aria-exterior-12-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-aria-interior-1-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-aria-interior-2-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-img_4143-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-img_4126-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-img_4046-copy.jpg  

A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.-img_4042-copy.jpg  

Last edited by psbali : 30th December 2010 at 17:10. Reason: General
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

@psbali:

Wow! Loved the report.

Aria really seems to be a great car. I have seen few Arias in Pune and it looks fabulous on the road. Especially the white.

Your report will really help all the prospective buyers to make their decision.

BTW, it had to be anvancy to get such fantastic photos. I have interacted with him before and you should see the 'Next Tapari Meet-Pune' thread to see his great work. I think we should call anvancy as the official Team-BHP photographer for all the BHPians in Pune. Ofcourse, with anvancy's permission.

Congrats on the Aria. Wishing you lots of happy KMs.

Drive safe.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 30th December 2010 at 19:47.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 00:26   #18
BHPian

Nice review Puneet.I personally feel Tata has done a beautiful concept.
and thanks to you I got the chance to shoot it.though a night shot and engine shot remains!

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 01:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Nice photos, and a good write-up! I guess I am the first to rate this thread- 5 stars!

TATA seems to have put a lot of effort in the Aria project, and it shows!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 02:12   #20
BHPian

so, seems like ARIA is fulfilling the promise in ride, handling and FE. I wish there is some after market solution for the seats.

@anvancy - awesome pictures.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 13:33   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

PSB nice update - really nice.

Where are the remaning snaps? - Pls post them, the ones posted are very nice but kind of like teasers.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 14:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration there @psbali.
And superb pictures. Keep'em coming.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 14:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
@psbali:

Wow! Loved the report.

Aria really seems to be a great car. I have seen few Arias in Pune and it looks fabulous on the road. Especially the white.

Your report will really help all the prospective buyers to make their decision.

BTW, it had to be anvancy to get such fantastic photos. I have interacted with him before and you should see the 'Next Tapari Meet-Pune' thread to see his great work. I think we should call anvancy as the official Team-BHP photographer for all the BHPians in Pune. Ofcourse, with anvancy's permission.

Congrats on the Aria. Wishing you lots of happy KMs.

Drive safe.
Hey thanks ajay.. really appreciate your feedback.. My report is still nothing compared to ACM's.. But shared whatever I could.. I am still learning a lot from this forum.. It was my curiosity about Aria that got me here.. As like a lot of other people even I was at one time really skeptical about it. But GTO's report followed by a TD convinced me.. It at time feels like Aria was just the kind of vehicle that me and my dad were waiting for..

And yeah there are particularly a lot of sardina red color Arias on Pune roads..

As for anvay he definitley deserves to be the official photographer for team-bhp members in Pune.. And I did check the "Next Tapari Meet-Pune" thread.. And would really like to be a part of it..

Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
Nice review Puneet.I personally feel Tata has done a beautiful concept.
and thanks to you I got the chance to shoot it.though a night shot and engine shot remains!

Anvancy
Dude you are ever so modest.. I would thank you for taking so much pain to get up early on a sunday.. It was really a very nice experience for me as well.. And dude as for a night shot you don't have to ask but tell me when.. Again amazing work mate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow! Nice photos, and a good write-up! I guess I am the first to rate this thread- 5 stars!

TATA seems to have put a lot of effort in the Aria project, and it shows!
Thanks crazy driver.. The credit for pics goes to anvay of course as for the write up i am happy that the complement is coming from a distinguished bhpian

And yes Tatas have indeed put a lot of effort.. I believe and hope that the initial batches of Aria aren't full of niggles.. I am only counting on 2 things. The supposed 5 year testing of the vehicle and JLR inputs.. Though the car does feel built to last..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
so, seems like ARIA is fulfilling the promise in ride, handling and FE. I wish there is some after market solution for the seats.

@anvancy - awesome pictures.
Well yeah it is fulfilling the promise in ride, handling and FE.. But according to me the best place to be in an Aria is its middle row.. I dont really look forward to drive the vehicle most of the time as I get to enjoy the fantastic middle row.. It is really very comfortable.. I even tell my dad that he doesn't know what he is missing by not letting me drive the car.. But I never complain.. As for the last row I feel that we were particularly never on the look out for a 7 seater vehicle. It is more like a complementary thing.. It is there if you ever wanna use it otherwise even if it is not folded there is a decent space available for luggage.. So not much to complain about..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
PSB nice update - really nice.

Where are the remaning snaps? - Pls post them, the ones posted are very nice but kind of like teasers.
Thanks ACM.. The remaining snaps are with Anvay and I would definitely ask him to send me the remaining pics.. We do have more plans of taking shots at various places.. Meanwhile if I get a chance to go to lavasa which is long due I will click some pics myself with a scenic background.. Though the quality wouldn't be as good as anvay's.

Thanks to everyone to have viewed and appreciated this thread..
psbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 14:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Anvancy!! Now I know how you are busy great shots there man!!

@psbali, good to know you are enjoying your Aria a lot!! Are you planning to do any off roading? We need more pics with the car in action
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Nice shots of Aria. Feel that after reading your review TATA should take your help to built the image of Aria . Very nice and genuine review, have you tried driving with vehicle fully loaded i guess that is were the real power pulling ability would be put to test. What are your views on cornering at higher speeds is there any body roll involved ?
Drive safe and keep posting you reviews

Last edited by driving_smartly : 31st December 2010 at 15:26.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 17:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and awesome pics of ARIA.

Also was happy to read that your experience with Pandit Auto has been good so far. I hope they have improved. The same was not the case when i purchased Vista about 1.5 years back. Right from delivery to A.S.S there have been issues. But don't want to get into that.

Wishing you a Very Happy Owneship and a Wonderful New Year!!!

Cheers,
Amit
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 12:30   #27
BHPian

Nice review man.The best colors for ARIA is pearl white and night shade black.Photography credits for anvancy .I love the looks of Aria .Interiors look great and is very land roverish.The quality is great (when compared to the previous tata attempts) .Overall i love the Aria.
Drive safe
Sreehari
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Some neat photography there, Anvancy. And a great report psbali. Makes it a lot more clear how the Aria is, to live with everyday.

I have started to like the looks now, though initially was dead against it! Kind of sad to know about the rear seat comfort. They should have done better. 7 times out of 10, a 14-15 lakh ruppee car owner would be sitting at the back! Wonder how they messed this up.

Great FE too. As per the initial reports, there is still a LOT of scope for improvement and I sincerely hope TATA is taking notes.

Wishing you miles of happiness with this new breed!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 21:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Nice narration there @psbali.
And superb pictures. Keep'em coming.
Thanks safari_lover.. And will definitely upload more pics.. I really like the whole experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
WOW! Anvancy!! Now I know how you are busy great shots there man!!

@psbali, good to know you are enjoying your Aria a lot!! Are you planning to do any off roading? We need more pics with the car in action
Oh well no off roading as of now.. And I really dont think so that Aria is even made for that. no matter what Tata Motors claim Aria is very delicate for heavy off roading I feel.. One thing that I forgot to mention in my post is that Aria's doors are made up of very thin and light sheet of steel towards the outside.. They can be easily pressed.. The 4x4 feature is only useful while crossing really rough patches, ghats etc. I doubt that we'll ever take the car for such activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Nice shots of Aria. Feel that after reading your review TATA should take your help to built the image of Aria . Very nice and genuine review, have you tried driving with vehicle fully loaded i guess that is were the real power pulling ability would be put to test. What are your views on cornering at higher speeds is there any body roll involved ?
Drive safe and keep posting you reviews
Thanks driving_smartly.. Well it has never been fully loaded but I have been on a drive with my 3 friends once.. There were 4 of us and the car handled really very well.. And on that same drive I did some heavy cornering at 70-80 speed and the body roll was quite controlled. While taking the car to akola we had to cross this bridge after aurangabad and the road on either ends are not aligned so that required some last minute cornering and the car felt in control while doing that.. As I have written in my report that you feel really safe and secured inside it.. Its body roll i feel is rather controlled as compared to any car that we have driven..

And mate i will surely keep updating this thread regularly.. I am really excited about this.. Thanks again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats and awesome pics of ARIA.

Also was happy to read that your experience with Pandit Auto has been good so far. I hope they have improved. The same was not the case when i purchased Vista about 1.5 years back. Right from delivery to A.S.S there have been issues. But don't want to get into that.

Wishing you a Very Happy Owneship and a Wonderful New Year!!!

Cheers,
Amit
Well for pandit auto ill say just one thing.. To an extent their showroom experience has been quite good.. But that I guess is because we bought an expensive car from them.. Otherwise I am really desperately looking forward to buying a punto for myself but would never buy it from them.. With Aria we had no choice but with Punto I do have.. Plus once millenium mobility opens their Tata showroom Ill switchover to them. They have a better staff and my experience has been good.. And they have an experience in handling high end customers.. I didn't like Pandit's A.S.S. There wasnt an option.. Infact Pandit auto price their cars higher. I came across bu bhandari's punto price list and found out that pandit is charging almost 10k more.. Really surprising..

And thanks for your wishes mate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Nice review man.The best colors for ARIA is pearl white and night shade black.Photography credits for anvancy .I love the looks of Aria .Interiors look great and is very land roverish.The quality is great (when compared to the previous tata attempts) .Overall i love the Aria.
Drive safe
Sreehari
Thanks shk.. Well I agree with you on that.. Those who can maintain then Night Shade black is the best color.. Pearl white is really good.. I even prefer it over silver(color that we had originally booked).. But if you notice then there are too many white cars on the road.. I have checked the silver color in flesh and it was rather dull.. Wont attract as much attention as white or night shade.. And yeah the interiors are straight forward and stylish.. There isn't any confusion with controls either.. Bu yeah there are too many of them so those who aren't tech savvy will find them really confusing.. Most of them were a piece of cake for me.. I discovered things without even opening the manual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Some neat photography there, Anvancy. And a great report psbali. Makes it a lot more clear how the Aria is, to live with everyday.

I have started to like the looks now, though initially was dead against it! Kind of sad to know about the rear seat comfort. They should have done better. 7 times out of 10, a 14-15 lakh ruppee car owner would be sitting at the back! Wonder how they messed this up.

Great FE too. As per the initial reports, there is still a LOT of scope for improvement and I sincerely hope TATA is taking notes.

Wishing you miles of happiness with this new breed!
Hey thanks Dry Ice.. The thing is it is in your mind.. You start liking something when you hear good things about it.. But for me I have liked the looks of Aria even when there was no such option or thought of buying it.. Being in Pune I got to see Aria a lot more often.. Once It was even parked around 200 meters from my house.. I stopped and checked it out and liked it.. This was sometime in mid 2010 and Aria's launch was no where in the horizon..

And by rear seats I meant the 3rd row.. Otherwise the front row and second row are really luxurious and comfortable.. Especially the 2nd row.. Theres acres of legspace for the 2nd row.. As for the 3rd row I am really not bothered.. As we are a small family of 3 people my sis and her husband rarely accompany us most of the times.. But that comment just because they are there and are uncomfortable and claustrophobic..

I took the car out for a spin after a really long time.. And the car delivered 7.5 kmpl.. or 13.7 ltrs/100 Km.. Guess the car will have to be driven continuously to get a good FE.. And also we really shouldn't just park and forget it.. Should be used more often..

One more thing as the car wasn't driven for a while the engine was making more noise than usual but was back to normal towards the end of the 15 km drive..

Thanks again guys and here's Wishing you a Very Happy, Safe, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Drive safe!!

Last edited by psbali : 1st January 2011 at 21:14. Reason: General.
psbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 21:29   #30
BHPian

beautiful color on this buch, IMHO better looking than Fortuner
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote