Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th March 2012, 10:18   #121
BHPian

Default Re: A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK

Last 3 day weekend took the family to Ooty, and we stayed at Kings Cliff. I think it was right time with not too much summer crowd, and at off season rates and the weather not too cold, actually little warmer. Had a good time. The kids enjoyed the 6 hr drive too.
Bulgy did splendid on Kalhaty ghats, but the key is to keep her on the boil in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Blr-Mysore stretch has become a pain these days with all sort of traffic and unable to do good speed for long.

Today Bulgy went in for her 5th and last free service to KHT motors, with 45,600kms on the ODO. Apart from usual ones, I reminded Ramesh SA to ensure gear box oil is changed, and to check all bushes. The fog lamps also were not working last 2 weeks or so, that went in the list of things to do for them. Asked them to tighten all doors as there is some rattling on bad roads.

While typing this, got a call from them that Greasing of axles, chassis and driveshaft have to be done and cost for that is Rs.1200.. I said ok, but didn't understand how greasing would cost so much.

Asked them to do alignment only, and balancing/rotation not required since I had done that outside some time back.
Hope they do a good job.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 10:14   #122
BHPian

Well, the last free service went well. However couple of days after the service, the check engine light came on, and it turned out to be a loose coupling on the temperature sensor. KHT fixed it without much fuss (different story that the local Hosur TASS didn't know what to do about the error codes).

Bulgy is purring happily as ever, and I'm going to Kanyakumari next week to drop family for the summer holidays. Planning to do a night drive, maybe start around midnight/2AM and reach by 10 or 11AM as the days are pretty hot now.

Looking forward to the drive - any drive is a beautiful, comfy drive on a Safari.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:01   #123
BHPian

Did the round trip of Hosur - Kannyakumari - Hosur of 1300kms over last 2 days. It was one of my best timings - onward journey was from 1.15AM to 8.15AM on 24th Tuesday, and return journey was from 2pm to 8.45pm on 25th Wednesday.
Loved the drive, Bulgy just lapped up NH7.

Didn't exactly calculate the Fuel Efficiency, but I filled her up the night before leaving and set trip meter to 0, and she lasted around 750kms before the needle was in the red again. Approximately 55litres, I'd say, which means efficiency of 13.5kmpl. I think that is very good, though I was on 100% A/c, and revving around 120-140kmph most of the time.

Last edited by verditer : 26th April 2012 at 10:08. Reason: Added FE info.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Verditer, 13.5 with AC and at those speeds is a very good mileage.

Where are the pics??
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 15:46   #125
BHPian

^^ No pics Lohithrao on that trip. As I said, onward was from 1AM to 8AM, return was from 2PM to 8.30PM in rains.

Well, the family wants to return Home now; so driving out tonight in similar fashion. Planning to leave around midnight. Return journey will see Bulgy crossing 50,000kms, so some photos are due in return trip on Sunday morning.

Will report back.

(This morning on way to work, a miscalculation on my part cost me the left side mirror glass. This is second time I'm breaking that mirror glass, have to find a replacement before leaving for Panagudi).
Old 14th May 2012, 10:59   #126
BHPian

Well, Bulgy crossed 50,000kms a week ago when driving back from Tirunelveli. It was late into the night and somewhere in the Madurai bye-pass. In a little under 18 months of ownership.
(first picture).

This past weekend, took some visiting relatives to Hogenakkal. 3 photos from that trip.
Attached Images

verditer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:58   #127
Senior - BHPian

That is a hell lot of driving, Verditer! A hell lot!!!

Happy mile crunching!

And your ride is a beauty - my initial choice before it was shot down by my kid.

Time for a chilly + lemon combo.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:14   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Verditer, 13.5 with AC and at those speeds is a very good mileage.
I always get 13.5 to 14.3 with 100% AC on 4 laned highway. On two laned highway, it drops to ~12.5 KMPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Well, Bulgy crossed 50,000kms a week ago when driving back from Tirunelveli.
That is lots of driving verditer. My Safari is few months before than you but still it reached 26K Kms, despite, I had done some pan India tour. Happy mile munching.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:21   #129
BHPian

Default Run Through The Rann And Beyond...

Currently on a trip to Kutch & other wildlife sanctuaries in Gujarat; we covered Banni Grasslands, Velavadar national park, Nal Sarovar sanctuary and Dhranghadhra Wildass Sanctuary; Also went upto the Pakistan border just for the heck of it, north of Bhuj, but turned back by BSF before the actual border.
Right now at Pune in way back. Approximately round trip of 5000kms.
She crossed the 60,000kms on the odo couple of days ago.

Will post a short travelogue after returning to Bangalore.
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2012, 13:48   #130
BHPian

Has been a while since I posted anything in this thread. So here it is
Bulgy completed 2 years in end Nov, and the ODO reads 69,000.
No problems to report, and continues to be the workhorse that she is.

Did Wheel balancing, rotation and alignment this week at Tyre Empire, Whitefield.

One fog lamp needs replaced (broke due to stone some time ago), and the wipers need to be changed as well. Tyres still have good tread, and I think I may go upto 80,000kms with these tyres. Clutch is fine.
Been thinking of replacing the suspension bushes, but haven't felt any major change in ride and handling so postponing it.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:07   #131
BHPian

Bulgy crossed the 75000kms mark recently, and while I was thinking of taking her for service, the water pump pulley developed jerky rotation thereby causing the timing belt to shred. Luckily it did not break but became noisy.
Both were replaced under extended warranty.
Alongwith, service also was done.

Front brake pads are nearing end life and will soon need replacement. Clutch has become somewhat hard at one point after depressing. May get these rectified in couple of weeks.

I think 75K kms on the odo is some kind of milestone for Safari, with several things to be taken care of, checked and replaced.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Front brake pads are nearing end life and will soon need replacement. Clutch has become somewhat hard at one point after depressing. May get these rectified in couple of weeks.
Can you correctly recall how many KM's did after market TVS Girling OEM Brake Pads lasted for you ? I enquired locally and they retail around 1500/- for front and rear brake liners retail for 1900/- something.

Btw. awesome mile crunching in 2 years

Cheers
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:08   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Can you correctly recall how many KM's did after market TVS Girling OEM Brake Pads lasted for you ? I enquired locally and they retail around 1500/- for front and rear brake liners retail for 1900/- something.

Btw. awesome mile crunching in 2 years

Cheers
Hi Rahul - I checked my log, and I have changed the front pads at 35,800 kms, bought TVS Girling from outside for Rs.1400, labour Rs.650.
That means, original lasted close to 36,000kms, and the replacement from outside has lasted 40,000 kms.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:29   #134
BHPian

Suresh - Nice to read the updates. 2 years and 75 K, wow !. I finished my 30 K service after 2 years Just updated the costs and service experience in my ownership thread.

I also had to change my front pads at 30 K. Dont remember the cost. Will update soonest.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:13   #135
BHPian

Ok some updates are due.
Bulgy is at 83000 kms, and being as good as she always been.
Couple of things to be attended to soon -
-The clutch has to be serviced. It is somewhat hard at a particular point.
-Tyres: they still have tread left, and I guess will last till 90K. I am very happy about the OEM Bridgestone Duelers that have lasted me so long. Maybe mainly because I'm 80% on highways.