Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st November 2010, 07:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 2010 Acura TSX : A new start!

I've been off Team-BHP for quite sometime. Used to check posts, but not as regular as I was in 2009 (Well blame it on work).

I relocated to the US a couple of months back, and as usual, started hunting for cars from the word go. The DL process in Connecticut is one of the most painful and expensive affairs in the whole of US. Spent close to $500 for mandatory classroom tutorials, fees, rentals and what not. The final end result is - the 2010 Acura TSX.

As a typical desi, I started off with used car search. Good used cars were either expensive or had around 100k miles clocked. I wasn't really keen on buying a used car in the 1st place.. but what's there to search. Tried a couple of models, mainly Accords. Found one 2004 Accord in immaculate condition. Clocked 91k. V6, leather and all. Quote was for 9k. Owner dint budge on the rate. I stopped negotiating. And decided to give up on used cars.

Started exploring new cars, and given the lack of credit history etc, getting a car loan for a used car would have been tough. Though I dint try, since I straightaway jumped to the lease option.

Accord was the benchmark. Requested quotes for every model above that - A4, 328i, C300, Infiniti G25, Lexus IS250, VW Jetta/Passat/CC, Acura TSX among a couple of other also rans like Subaru Legacy and Mazda6.

The basic problem with US cars is that even the top end variant isnt really fully loaded. For example, the 328i doesn't even have anti-theft system. That comes a package. Heated seats, fog lamps, climate control, auto tranny, AWD.. almost every damn thing is a package here. So customizing a 30k car, after adding all these packages would invariably bump the price to 35k levels.

This is where the Acura TSX worked out as a differentiator. It dint have many variants. The base 4-cyl model had all the bells and whistles - Heated leather seats, climate control, 7-speaker audio with iPod compatibility, paddle shifts, Xenon HIDs, Fog lamps, moonroof etc etc. So I finally decided on the TSX and started contacting dealers. The good part of the tristate area (NY-NJ-CT) is that there are hazaar dealers in a 25 mile radius. So bargaining for deals was pretty easy thanks to competition.

The lowest quote I got from the dealers was $393/mo for a 30-month lease. Bargained hard for 10 days to bring the price to $350. The dealer apparently was taking some loss, though I am not sure. The reason for this deal was simple - Acura was about to launch the 2011 TSX and dealers had some stock left.

Being very new to the US, and lack of credit history, I wasn't really sure if the lease would be approved by Honda Finance. But a decent take home salary plus a managerial visa (L1A) helped make the case a bit strong. The dealer promised to push the case for quick approval. And within 2 days, it was approved. Got the car delivered on 17th November.

Attaching a few pics. I wasn't really a big fan of the front grille. Thought buying a silver car would help camouflage it to an extent.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0077.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0089.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0123.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0126.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0129.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0130.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0132.jpg  

2010 Acura TSX : A new start!-img_0141.jpg  

Fountainheader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats fountainheader - Acura TSX is one hell of a car - if for its equipments alone (personally i do not like the front grille).
Good decision on leasing a new car if you are to stick on for 3-4 years. Whats the mileage cap?
I have driven around the tristate area extensively - be careful about the road conditions in winter (especially after snowfall, and look out for black ice).
Enjoy your ride - drive safe!
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 11:55   #3
BHPian

Good job FH, like all desis - its looking east when buying the make of the car! Acuras are one of the premium cars in the US, and i remember to be fascinated with their bulk at the right places. Was just wondering why not the TL? I believe (thanks to T-BHP) the TL will be launched as the Accord Diesel here in India very soon.

You seem to have got a fantastic lease on your acquisition, so how does it work out at the end of the lease?

But here's wishing you a lot of happy miles on those interstates, cheers

p.s. Might want to change your location now
methecupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 12:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

The TSX is one nice car, fully loaded. You can see the similarity to the Accord . Why not the V6 though?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 13:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

The Acura TSX is an absolute peach! A gem of a car without doubt! And your example being fully-loaded is just icing on the cake. You will be very happy with your purchase and even 5 years down the line, and you wouldn't want to trade it for anything else. Why do you think the owner of the '04 Accord V6 refused to negotiate.

Congratulations on your new car!

However, why didn't you want to wait for the new 2011 TSX? And adding to Akshay's query, why not the V6?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 14:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, fountain header. Yes - that grille is such a sore sight on an otherwise lovely car.

Seeing that Acura reminds of my TD experience with the Acura dealer. He takes a copy of my DL, and hands me the keys to the 3.2TL. "1 hour - go where you want". He was so cool - and I got an unattended TD. Felt so good about that interaction that I bought two cars thru him in 2 years.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 17:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Fountain Header: Congrats on your buy. Its a great car with good dynamics, excellent interior and gem of an engine. Even exterior is awesome save for the beak up front. If possible remove it and keep the acura logo. It will make it look much better.

Good luck and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Seeing that Acura reminds of my TD experience with the Acura dealer. He takes a copy of my DL, and hands me the keys to the 3.2TL. "1 hour - go where you want". He was so cool - and I got an unattended TD. Felt so good about that interaction that I bought two cars thru him in 2 years.
This incident reminds me of a similar experience I had with Honda dealer. Me and my brother were test driving soft roaders and the guy at Honda gave us a CR-V for a full day. When we went back to give it to him at the end of the day, he asked us if we wanted it overnight to get a feel of it during night time too. We politely declined and the next day we went ahead and bought it.

Superior customer service, though its the same in all dealerships across companies, it makes buying experience very special especially if its one's first new car.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 17:47   #8
BHPian

nice car, looks sharp.
even i agree with the guys here that the front grill sure looks a bit out of place on an otherwise quite an elegant car.
drive safe
superboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2010 Acura TSX : A new start!

Traded this car for the 2013 Acura RDX. The missus will drive the crossover and I get to drive the C250.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Traded this car for the 2013 Acura RDX. The missus will drive the crossover and I get to drive the C250.
Congrats on your new car, treat us with some pics of both cars. Do share your buying experience of the C class.
GullwingGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 16:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Traded this car for the 2013 Acura RDX.
Congrats ! Once with Acura, hard to get away, isn't it ?

Wishing you lots of happy drives !
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 19:47   #12
BHPian

Congrats for the Acura. The grille contours remind me of Nissan Sunny. The car seems to be in a pristine condition.
Happy mile crunching.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote