Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 17:10   #46
BHPian

Awesome videos and awesome pictures. Your pictures make the already gorgeous Z4 even more gorgeous. Happy Z4'ing.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd December 2010, 09:23   #47
BHPian

Default shot with 10mm wide angle lens

@vtec: its running on 91ron
@rehaan & @joe: Thank you guys

I had great fun shooting the lucifer this morning. Initially took out my wide angle lens to capture z4's interior in a single shot but turned out so, that i ended up with shots of long bonnet.
Seats have superb support for every part of the body that sits on it. Lumbar support can be adjusted right to the tail bone. Seats even work on your lats. However getting in and out takes some effort and while at it, those denim rivets have sworn to damage the seats.

OT:I don't know how many of you have followed swatkats, back in mid 90s. This elongated bonnet reminds me of the general's butch car.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-snapshot-20101203-085129.jpg  

tushar_lalsan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:27   #48
BHPian

Default Exaggeration of length

few of my favorite shots from morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_006m3.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_005m0.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_006m5.jpg  

tushar_lalsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:08   #49
BHPian

Exclamation

Though Z4 is based on 3 Series platform, fit and finish is remarkable; Quality of materials are abreast with 7 series. Few hitches(easy to live with) in Z4:
  • Sat-Nav. Not that I need it but yup, its missing
  • Shallow iDrive menu
  • Limited or no iPod/iPad/iphone interface and connectivity(optional extra)
  • Manually dialing a number using iDrive is a pain.Bluetooth contact transfer is also difficult (depending on the phone)
  • Frequent loss of traction when right foot sinks in. Stability control which keeps kicking even on the slightest undulated highways,is unnerving.
  • Too many electronic 'super-nannies' stops you from having fun. Too electronic for a roadster, dont know if its good or bad thing. Its tail happy but JOY ain't gonna go sideways that easily
  • In normal mode: Upshifts are too quick (again, stops you from enjoying the exhaust note). Its always in some sort of hurry to take you to 7th gear and keeps you there; and then it starts to mumble something in german. So much for that exhaust note.
  • Though parking sensors are great, a reverse camera would have been more apt.
  • Optional white leather package is one of the hardest to clean/maintain(read: suede, white suede!).
Thanks to the long bonnet, its a very comforting feel to know if you ever had to meet with an accident up-front, you are sitting a mile away from it. Bad one
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:35   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_lalsan View Post
Though Z4 is based on 3 Series platform, fit and finish is remarkable; Quality of materials are abreast with 7 series. Few hitches(easy to live with) in Z4:
Quote:
  • Limited or no iPod/iPad/iphone interface and connectivity(optional extra)
That's being a little stingy. C'mon BMW, what is that?

Quote:
  • Frequent loss of traction when right foot sinks in. Stability control which keeps kicking even on the slightest undulated highways,is unnerving.
  • Too many electronic 'super-nannies' stops you from having fun. Too electronic for a roadster, dont know if its good or bad thing. Its tail happy but JOY ain't gonna go sideways that easily
Can you switch them off altogether? I'm sure you can! BMWs are more fun than Audi's. I'd take this over an Audi TT Roadster any day! It's just a much more thrilling drive, I presume!

Quote:
  • In normal mode: Upshifts are too quick (again, stops you from enjoying the exhaust note). Its always in some sort of hurry to take you to 7th gear and keeps you there; and then it starts to mumble something in german. So much for that exhaust note.
But then in normal mode, didn't you achieve some amazing FE figures? That's the trade-off right there! I guess it's programmed to give you good mileage. There is the paddle-shift if you want to have some fun!

Most semi-auto 'boxes are programmed like this now. For example, Porsche's PDK has 7 cogs as well and it ensures that the car trundles about in 7th while doing 40 km/h! But put your foot down and it automatically drops a few gears and takes off! In fact, in the sport mode, 7 cogs become 6(!) and with LC, it's quicker than a manual off the line!

Quote:
  • Optional white leather package is one of the hardest to clean/maintain(read: suede, white suede!).
Ironically, I have a Jazz which happens to be the same colour as your Z4 and with pretty much the same kind of upholstery shade and finish inside! It's quite a combination, and I love it! Although yes, it's quite hard to maintain!

Fellow member 'v10' also owns a Jaguar XK-R with a very similar exterior shade of blue with light-beige/white interiors! It looks magnificent!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2010 at 19:38.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 10:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs up

Amazing machine you got there tushar_lalsan, and in the perfect BMW colour! I am really glad that your photography skills bring out the great lines of the car. Congrats!

IIRC, the new Z4 was designed by 2 beautiful German ladies in their 30s. ( I know, just that fact alone multiplies the 'cool factor' of the shark; right?

Enjoy the straight six.

Last edited by deetjohn : 4th December 2010 at 10:29.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 11:14   #52
SSP
BHPian

Tushar, beautiful pictures! I'm glad youre enjoying the car.

Recently I did a Mumbai - Pune run at very normal car speeds (100-120km/h) and the entire trip gave me an average of 12km/l. Was shocked to see it. Typically a one way trip takes half a tank of fuel but this trip was done in 1/4 tank.

The white suede requires a good brushing with a hard brush. I got a brush along with a pair of suede shoes I bought, and I use it on the car too. Works well but you have to do it often to ensure no dirt build up occurs. For the rest of the interior I use Armor All's leather gel.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 15:47   #53
BHPian

@suhaas: yup, Most of electronics can be over-ridden but not completely AFAIK. Its hard to compare driving dynamics of Quattro to RWD roadster, but yeah i'll go with what you claim.
Its sure fun to drive but mainly on track my friend. Regular driving in traffic is a real pain. Honestly its more tensing than one would expect it to be. If this is what i can tolerate with a so called practical sports coupe,then its hard to relate what super car owners would be going through dodging traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Tushar, beautiful pictures! I'm glad youre enjoying the car.
Thanks buddy, i can barely get this car out to enjoy it on regular basis, its either early morning or short late night drives(that too on weekends). you are lucky to have express highway close-by, or occasional speed-run held there to let loose.

Quote:
Recently I did a Mumbai - Pune run at very normal car speeds (100-120km/h) and the entire trip gave me an average of 12km/l. Was shocked to see it. Typically a one way trip takes half a tank of fuel but this trip was done in 1/4 tank.
Awesome,i've often thought the on-board computer keeps lying about figures. It's surely changed my perspective about Z4's touring capability.

Quote:
The white suede requires a good brushing with a hard brush. I got a brush along with a pair of suede shoes I bought, and I use it on the car too. Works well but you have to do it often to ensure no dirt build up occurs. For the rest of the interior I use Armor All's leather gel.
I've tried quite a few cleaning products to-date: Bmw's Leather foam is good enough but foam leaked in transit and i'm left with a quarter out of two. It works like some sort of conditioner and masking layer for suede. I'll try your method as you reckon.
These are few i've bought, it'll be too early for me to comment on them as i haven't used any apart from leather,Tyre foam & turtle wax.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-041220101280.jpg  

Old 4th December 2010, 22:17   #54
BHPian

Default exhaust video-awsome

that sound of power just made me jump out of my bed man!!!
CONGRATS on your buy-its a dream to even sit in one for poor chaps like me!! you are so lucky-happy driving!!!
drjumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 10:29   #55
BHPian

Default Morning drive

Few pics from morning :
Most figures have been mentioned in other Z4 thread, only way to keep this thread alive is through experiences, pics and comments. As my photographs were getting too monotonous, i've tried to experiment with bold colors and enhanced sharpness in later half, twitched with shadow/highlight details to bring some drama as well.
Z4 being in dark shade, its lot easier to play around with contrast and shadow & to take things to the extreme. Inspiration comes from top gear magazine.
Let me know if you guys like the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0071.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0072.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0073.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0078.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0082.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0090.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0092.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0093.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0097.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0099.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0104.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0105.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0106.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0114.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0108.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0116.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0119.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0121.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0122.jpg  

Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer'  BMW Z4-dsc_0123.jpg  

tushar_lalsan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 11:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

You've got amazing camera skills Tushar! Your car is my wallpaper now The Z4 looks so gorgeous with the top down!! And I am stunned by those F.E figures! Are you sure the on-board computer is not fooling you try the 'tank full-tank empty' method to gauge the mileage.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 12:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

The last 4 pictures just blew my mind!You have awesome photography skills.

Thats a long empty and a smooth road.I am sure your right foot was quite busy then
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 15:35   #58
BHPian

Default Re: Ownership Review of the infamous 'Lucifer' BMW Z4

Seriously good looking lucifer ,Thushar.I love it.You have the beemer right here in Trichur ?
Drive Safe
Sreehari
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:41   #59
BHPian

Fantabulous pics Tushar! By viewing these pics I can feel the same joy and pride that you must be feeling by owning this beauty. I wish more of the supercar/exotics owners on this thread would flaunt their possessions the way you do. Thanks for sharing.
MudMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 23:13   #60
BHPian

Tushar.......this car is amazing, awesome...what not. And I am so glad to see such open stretches of such good roads in Bhilai. I have never been to Bhilai, but will be going soon for some business, I had mentioned this to you earlier(on your beetle thread) if you remember. I will surely get in touch with you, to get some drool effect on my eyes, ofcourse if you happily permit without much grin on your face
Happy and safe driving Tushar...
arpanjha is offline   Reply With Quote