Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th November 2010, 17:38   #1

Default Wine - Fiat Linea Em Pk

I finally took home my Tuscan Wine fully PacKed with Petrol Emotion in Fiat Linea last week - 18th November 2010 at 06:20 PM to be precise.

The journey to this car started around 2 years back, when in Sept 2008 a advert for the Swift caught my eye and I started dreaming of a bigger car than my Alto LX. Unfortunately, it was not be. The financial markets collapsed, the interest rates shot through the roof and the EMIs became unviable.

We then had some large medical expenses and the dreams died.

Around 6 months back I got my second increment of the year and somewhere at the back of my mind a vague thought started - time to upgrade. The company planned to shift to me to B'lore (I am in Noida now) and I thought lets sell the Alto and buy a VW Jetta . (I was angling for my third very large increment for transfer . But as it happens to me fairly happen, this was not to be and the Jetta was a non-starter.

Suddenly, in September 2010, while going through a rare read of the Delhi Times, my eyes lit up, for there were two very interesting ads - 55000 thousand off on SX4, 45000 off on the Linea and 55000 off on the Jazz. Now started the process of buying a car in earnest. But, as you would have realised by now, when it comes to me, things are not easy.

The car prices I had in my mind were around 1 year old. A quick check of the prices at nearby dealers threw up a shocker. The prices had increased a lot. The SX4 ZXi would cost around 7.9 lacs on road Noida and the Linea Emotion would cost something similar. My budget was only 6.5 lacs including exchange for my old car.

Anyway, all was not lost as my annual bonus was due in October .

But there were more hurdles on the way. My cousin had bought an apartment and he wanted a small loan - there went the surplus money :-( .

By now, in the middle of October, I was pretty determined to upgrade my car. As I talked to friends and family, I got some pretty weird suggestions so that I could stay within the budget. I tried to explain why I wanted to upgrade - I was very happy with my Alto but they would not understand. What I was looking for in my next car was something like this:

* Car for five people (2 of them - my parents on the heavy side and 1 - me - very heavy)
* Car to be more comfortable and spacious than the Alto
* ABS with EBD
* Airbags
* Auto AC
* Fog lamps
* Rear defogger and demister
* Tilt adjustable steering column
* Driver seat height adjustable
* Decent build quality
* Proper cooling at the rear
* Petrol - As I drive around max 800 kms/month
Optional
* Alloy wheels
* Good music system with CD player

In a budget of 6.50 lacs there are no decent sedans in India (Dzire owners, please excuse, no offence intended). Hatchbacks were not on the agenda. Could not think of spending so much money on an hatchback (except the Jazz).

Now, my first preference was the Jazz. However, a misconception I had was that it has the same engine as the City. A quick look at the specs and I was corrected. Out went the Jazz.

Somehow, I was not too keen on the Verna or the Fiesta. That left the Linea and the SX4. Drove a friend's Linea and was floored. Booked a TD of the SX4 but that did not materialize. Asked a friend for his keys and took it for a spin. Really liked the drive, it was similar to the Alto, did not feel the need for any adjustments, the Linea on the other hand would require adjustments to the driving style.

The concern areas for the Linea were power and after sales & service. But we did not like the looks of the SX4. I then took my parents and wife for demo of both the cars. Mom kept saying Dzire . I asked her to sit in the SX4 and then in the Dzire behind the driver seat. Dzire cancelled :-).

Then we went to the FIAT showroom next door - 1st impression by everyone - WOW

Next Post - Buying decision and experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Wine - Fiat Linea Em Pk-photo.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th November 2010 at 17:58. Reason: Only 2 smiley's per post please. Please do read the rules. Thanks.
psinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 10:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Linea. The tucsan wine is the best color after the Flamingo Red.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Linea.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Congrats singhal. Fiat has been seriously under-estimating the power of advertising. If you had not seen that ad, probably Linea would've stayed out of contention. am I right?

IMHO Tuscan Wine is the best color on Linea although I own a Vocal White. Had this color been available when I bought mine, I would have chosen Tuscan Wine.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 14:05   #4

Dear NnN,
The Linea was not bought on the basis of its advertising. SX4 was on the radar for many months and having heard so much negative about the Linea, that was last on the list. Verna, in fact was a strong contender a couple of months ago but the Transform did not appeal.

What tilted the scales in favour of the Linea was an enthusiast friend who had BNW Linea Emotion, Petrol and whose car I took for an almost 60 km test drive.

Anyway, the Part 2 of the saga is still to come.
psinghal is offline   Reply With Quote