Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th December 2010, 16:22   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Crazycardude - Congrats.

Get prepared from more people asking questions on the road over the next one month atleast. I too have been facing the same.

White looks very royal on the Aria.

Liking the driving insights, do keep posting and sharing.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 00:20   #32
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Tata Aria Prestige - Pearl White, Fabric Trim

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

All Aria owners take note. I went to attach my new number plate on my car. However it so happened that when I went to attach the rear number plate, I found out, with some embarrassment ( I had gone to an accessory shop) that the threading (for the screws) was not in the same direction! One set faced out .i.e from the boot outwards and the other set faced inwards!

Anyone else experienced this?

P.S I swear if I'm the only one with this issue I will personally go to pune to shoot the idiot who put it there

Last edited by crazycardude198 : 17th December 2010 at 00:22. Reason: grammatical mistake
crazycardude198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 00:57   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria Prestige - Pearl White, Fabric Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycardude198 View Post
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

All Aria owners take note. I went to attach my new number plate on my car. However it so happened that when I went to attach the rear number plate, I found out, with some embarrassment ( I had gone to an accessory shop) that the threading (for the screws) was not in the same direction! One set faced out .i.e from the boot outwards and the other set faced inwards!

Anyone else experienced this?

P.S I swear if I'm the only one with this issue I will personally go to pune to shoot the idiot who put it there
This is quite amusing. At the same time it is definitely cause for concern. Aria uses some of the most advanced technologies, and I do very much hope that this is not an indication of poor workmanship and quality issues. Aria has just been launched. I am hoping that Aria would be a game changer, which will push others in the same space - like Toyota Innova - to upgrade their technology without charging the sky.

Tata Motors needs to realise that Aria owners cannot be taken lightly and anyone who spends 15 lakhs or more expects quality will not be anything but exceptional. Few slips and it will lose rapidly to competition and face issues like Nano.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 07:32   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
...that the threading (for the screws) was not in the same direction! One set faced out .i.e from the boot outwards and the other set faced inwards!
I am not sure of this - Could this be meant for High Security [HSD?] number plates ? I have seen vehicles that doesnt have simple screw mechanism, but a bolt+nut kind of look in its number plate fitment and they are of those "IND" number plates.
Just a guess.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am not sure of this - Could this be meant for High Security [HSD?] number plates ? I have seen vehicles that doesnt have simple screw mechanism, but a bolt+nut kind of look in its number plate fitment and they are of those "IND" number plates.
Just a guess.

Prem.
Hmm...not sure I buy that logic. I havent seen these HS number plates. And besides, it doesnt matter whether its a nut-bolt kind of fit. Why would you sell a car with the threading on the number plate facing the wrong way?
Mind you, the front is ok.

If it looked like I am a little upset, its because I nearly was going to drill holes in the bumper to fit the plate. I had the good fortune of meeting a guy with experience in Tata cars, so he had a hunch that it was on back to front.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...not sure I buy that logic. I havent seen these HS number plates. And besides, it doesnt matter whether its a nut-bolt kind of fit. Why would you sell a car with the threading on the number plate facing the wrong way?
Mind you, the front is ok.

If it looked like I am a little upset, its because I nearly was going to drill holes in the bumper to fit the plate. I had the good fortune of meeting a guy with experience in Tata cars, so he had a hunch that it was on back to front.
I agree that it seems like a weird mistake. Have you raised this with the dealer? If it is a mistake, he could replace. I am not sure if he will, but worth a try i guess.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 01:14   #37
BHPian

SERVICE UPDATE

Hey guys! Its been exactly a month since I got my Aria. Now despite the fact that I've only driven it 540km, I gave it for the one month/1000km service. The main reason for this was in-fact some developments in the political landscape of the state.

If you're from Hyderabad then you'll know that the state is on the verge of being divided into Andhra and Telengana. The report outlining the plan is due to be released within 3 days and there is a widespread expectation that violence and bandhs may occur within the next few weeks. I therefore decided to take advantage of the relative calm of post christmas and decided to get it over with. I will first outline the overall impression of the car uptill this point, followed by the service quality and finally an overall comment on my buying experience so far. So without further adieu here is my comprehensive one month review of the Tata Aria Prestige.

DRIVING AND DYNAMICS

1) The comfort level of the car is still very good and at par with almost any other car in this segment. I mentioned this several time before, but I cannot tell you what a joy it is to drive this car over uneven surfaces, ironic as it may seem. I actually feel this lulls me into a false sense of security and I might be tempted to go over a rut just because I can. I will give them full marks for the damping.

2) Handling is more of a mixed bag. With less than 4 people the car remains relatively stable. it gets progressively more rolly with every additional passenger. The excellent damping means that it doesnt bounce but on the flip side it does tend to bend at scary angles when going around a curve, even at 40km/h. This is certainly a car you would want to drive in straight lines as much as possible when fully loaded.

3)The turbo -lag does take getting used to. You have to develop a system whereby you press the accelerator earlier than most cars. Once you get the timing down then it is manageable, but not perfect by any means. I am 5'5 so for me the pedal movement in the clutch is a little awkward. By raising the seat this is rectified but I do miss the pedals on my Wagon R. Not a fair comparison but just an opinion.

4)Once you are on the power band then it becomes very agile and can overtake almost anything in its sight. However overtaking must be planned in advance. This is a car that needs a nice clean stretch of road as the momentum it carries is immense. The brakes are reassuring but the nose-dip on braking does make the hair stand on end. I understand that this is one of the disadvantages of a ladder-frame chassis. Oh well...

5) Another really good point is the visibility. Usually in this segment, SUV's have big A or D pillars due to the chunky-ness of the design. Not so with this car. Visibility is very good all around. The rear visibility is low but the ORVM's and parking assist take care of that. Blind spots exist but nothing overwhelming. Great sight-lines throughout. Easy to see traffic outside, albeit clunky when going through stop-start. Show me a car that isnt...

6) Gear changes are also hit and miss. They work best with gentle, precise movements. If you try any "power shifts" the it gives you a hard time. Be gentle and calm and it will shift nicely and cleanly. 1st tends to be a pain, especially in stop-start traffic.

7)I do find a very slight difference in initial pick-up with the A/c on although considering the ferocious acceleration after 1800rpm thats a blessing in disguise. The air conditioning does affect fuel economy by about 10-12%, or about 1km/ltr. Considering the cooling and the unpredictable heat waves in south india, that is acceptable for me.

8)Finally I will comment about cruising. High-speed cruising is this car's natural habitat. It really works best around 80-120km/h in top gear giving good fuel economy and NVH levels. I can see that the ride and handling was optimized for expressway cruising, which going by Mr. kamal Nath's ambitious plans may seem like a really good thing. This car can cruise for hours at a time with no problem at all. Its so good infact that the car may give you an excuse to go on a US-style "epic road trip". Long drives with loved ones are very strongly encouraged by me.

Right, thats pretty much all of the driving updates so far. Next Up is the Service:

SERVICE

Really not much to say here. I took the car at about 9:00 AM to the Concorde service. Staff were professional, they took my details and told me to pick up the car by 5:00PM. I asked them whether they would be able to drop the car off at my residence, which they agreed at no extra charge. Total cost of the repairs was Rs 50. Yup, you read that right. Just Fifty bucks. All that needed to be done was a tightning of the steering wheel pad. I gave the driver a Rs100 tip and he brought the car back to me at 6:00PM. Probably the cheapest first service I have ever had, on a car that costs a million rupees.

...what has the world come to...

I should mention a little about the steering wheel pad. Somewhere in the last two weeks I noticed that the pad was becoming loose. It was as if the glue or fastners had come off. Anyway the problem was rectified. Just thought I'd throw that out. I get the feeling that this car was put together in a hurry.

COMMENTS

1)There has been a lot of furious debate as to whether the Aria is genuine VFM and I'd like to give you my take.
Short Answer:Yes
Long Answer: I see it this way. The Innova is a very good machine. It does pretty much everything well. But here is the deal, if you feel that the Aria is bad VFM compared to the Innova, then you cannot say that the Fortuner or the Captiva or anything beyond a Laura is VFM either. As GTO mentioned, VFM is subjective. I looked at the equipment levels and compared it to the competition. But I want to make it clear that since the very beginning, I ruled out the Innova.

You may say that it was the obvious choice, well for me it wasnt. In my eyes, it was an old car based on a hilux pick-up truck, and I have a genuine hatred of cars built on pick-up foundations. Not a logical reason you may ask, you're right its not. But asking nay demanding why I chose this car is a bit like asking a S-class owner why he/she didnt invest in an apartment or a piece of land. Its a personal choice, its why some people prefer to watch IMAX movies rather than SD screens, why people buy Blackberries instead of a regular phone. Its really a case of have-money-will-spend. Plain and simple.

As for quality let me say this. I've lived abroad for a large portion of my life. I can tell you from personal experience that build quality, like VFM is subjective. How you may ask? Good question. There is no denying that Audi's have great interiors and their shutlines are immaculate. I ask you then why Audi ranked so low in reliablity surveys by JD Power? As anyone in the US will tell you, there really is no company that has a bulletproof car. Toyota are paying millions to pay compensation to people who have DIED because of unintended acceleration in the Prius, which has now initiated international recalls by them and several lawsuits by the NHTSA and a personal apology by the chairman.

There is no, read NO company that makes a perfect car. Anyone who owns a German car will tell you for a fact that they do act up in some truly strange ways. I owned a mark 4 Golf, by far and away the least reliable car I have ever driven. My father worked in JLR and the workshop was ALWAYS FULL.

This is not a defence of Tata, rather than a rebuke to some German/ Japanese car-owners around the world who fawn over their cars like they descended from heaven in a chariot pulled by unicorns. All cars have problems, regardless of how much money you paid for them.This is a fact of life. I paid for the Aria with full knowledge of this fact. I was aware that this is a company that makes unrefined cheaply made cars, but guess what? They still run night and day through thick and thin. That is what counts for me. *inhale* Right back to the Aria.

BONUS REVIEW!!

I bought a MMI Road pilot a few days after I bought the car. Dont worry, not an indepth review. Overall very very helpful. Has some issues with specific address. Its a good idea to cross check with google maps and find some landmarks close by, but I'm not complaining.

There are some things that have made me wonder.How come the Aria has no electric operated seats? Most cars at half the price have them, why not this one. And another thing, why is the MID in monochrome? I have a a two year old phone and it's got a colour display. And I seriously have no idea what possessed them to keep those bins on the top. Too big for knick knacks but too small for books and tv-screens. Whats the point?

CONCLUSION

Its not fair of me to pass judgement on the Aria after just one month. Suffice to say I dont regret it at all. It fulfills all my needs, it is comfortable, well made (so far) and lets be honest, not a bad machine to look at. Some things bother me, like some very strange decisions in the interior design department, some head scratching decisions on the outside and several literally rough edges both in and out. All said and done its early days and no regrets. 'Nuff said.

Merry Christmas and a safe, prosperous and fulfilling new year to all of you.

Crazycardude198 out,
crazycardude198 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 10:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Liked the Bonus Review

Glad you are enjoying the Aria. I am still waiting to see Aria's in black. Should look wow!

You forgot the mileage kya hei thing!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Liked the Bonus Review

Glad you are enjoying the Aria. I am still waiting to see Aria's in black. Should look wow!

You forgot the mileage kya hei thing!
Apologies, as of now the city cycle varies from 9.3-9.6 with A/c on. It gets better depending on the traffic. Lowest it has been is 8.9 but only once in extreme traffic.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is no, read NO company that makes a perfect car.
Hi Crazycardude198.

Welcome to team-Bhp.This was a very nice review.You have written your heart out here.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 19:26   #41
BHPian

The aria looks too good in pearl white. The first picture of 3/4 of the side view looks too good and it looked to me like a 5 seater and it looks too good in that size.

I would love to buy a 5 seater aria. can some one convey the message to the tatas as a 5 seater aria with same features as top end aria will be a good option for people looking for a small suv or a small crossover.

Considering tatas trend of coming with cs in indigo and the coming manza cs tata should come with a aria cs or cut size. Lets look forward to a smaller aria at a considerably lesser price.

Last edited by patil : 28th December 2010 at 19:29.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 20:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

@crazy I personally love the way you've written your long post up there. congrats on the car and it looks awesome. Mightiness and Stability + a fresh car on the platter. Good choice!
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 00:59   #43
BHPian

That was a very good and honest review. I am glad you are happy so far.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 16:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
The aria looks too good in pearl white. The first picture of 3/4 of the side view looks too good and it looked to me like a 5 seater and it looks too good in that size.

I would love to buy a 5 seater aria. can some one convey the message to the tatas as a 5 seater aria with same features as top end aria will be a good option for people looking for a small suv or a small crossover.

Considering tatas trend of coming with cs in indigo and the coming manza cs tata should come with a aria cs or cut size. Lets look forward to a smaller aria at a considerably lesser price.
My guess is that the Tata "Merlin" prototype will cater to those type of customers. But we wont know for sure until next year. Quite a few companies are going for the mini-suv route. I dont blame them, going by the roads in hyd I'm all for them!

I'm an genuinely happy that I went for the pearl car in the end rather than the red one I had initially. It really brings out the lines of the car well.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:38   #45
BHPian

Crazycar: Congrats. That is a beautiful vehicle to own.

I had requested for test drive but alas no one showed up for it or even contacted me.

Is that Srisailam high way near international airport?

-PK
pk_del is offline   Reply With Quote