Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd January 2011, 13:18   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Polo 1.6 Red Devil...the Germans got the better of me!

Vipin, just wondering, is the veering problem sorted out ? What seems to be the problem ? Im geting delivery of the 1.6 next week after a mighty 6.5 month wait, so curious about the 'flaws' that i should be aware of.
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:04   #47
BHPian

Manubhai, I too have booked a polo 1.6 4 months ago to this day, and I don't know when my car will be delivered!! What is the OTR price you will be paying ? Do you know if they have added any new features/equipment compared to the 2010 model?
venkateshkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
I am sure your engine would be fine. I had done a similar 145 kmph during the early days on my Polo 1.6. After 2500 KMs I did a 165 kmph run. There wasn't any impact.

I covered the 950 kms between Kolkata and Vizag in a single day maintaining very high speeds for hours at a go. The car took it in its stride.

This Polo platform and specially the 1.6 is a gem of a car capable of both being a gentleman and a rowdy.
@sadnabrina,
You won't see any obvious "impact" of that right away. Its just advisable not to press the engine hard during its childhood, since its a metal after all, and even microscopic irregularities may cause sufficient friction damage that may make the problems rise some years later.
Theoretically, the gearbox, pistons, driveshafts etc. when run sedately, smooth out the irregularities (if any) without damage as compared to high revving.
It won't happen that we revv the engine hard in run-in and it smokes or something right away .

All said, I also feel that with today's laser cutting and other sophisticated methods, the parts should be definitely smoother without surface irregularities & won't need much of a run in.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 12:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
Vipin, just wondering, is the veering problem sorted out ? What seems to be the problem ? Im geting delivery of the 1.6 next week after a mighty 6.5 month wait, so curious about the 'flaws' that i should be aware of.
The veering seemed to be a one off problem and has vanished away for good now. There are no inherent flaws as such and its a driver's delight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Since you do own both the ritz as well as the polo, can you give a brief comparo? My initial choice was the polo 1.6 way back in may 2010 but no one including the VW reps could confirm its launch so i went ahead and bought the ritz petrol, rather than waiting and speculating its launch. Im really happy with my car but am curious to know what have i missed?? or have i?
Last year around the same time we were looking for a new car in exchange of my dad's Santro. We had bought it only a couple of years ago and the reason to change was that dad was bored of the Santro. He wanted a car with good visibility and handling. We almost finalized the i20, but the nervous steering put me off, though dad liked it for the ultra light feel. The next morning i was walking through the market and saw the Ritz demo vehicle parked outside a Maruti showroom. I went in and test drove the diesel car available though i wanted a petrol. It drove like a dream and as i was driving a swift that time i could appreciate the ride quality and handling even more! Dad drove it and liked it too and wanted the top model which was not available in diesel. So we bought the ZXi Petrol finally. Took me only a day to buy the car as i got a 2009 manufactured car at a steal for around 5 lakh OTR!

The car with almost 12000 kms now is still a stunning performer, though driving the 1.6 Polo doesn't make me appreciate the car as much. Dad finally has got bored with this car as well and looks like i would ne looking for a new car shortly. The accent is also almost 2.5 years old now and might change that before the Ritz.
vipinjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 00:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Manubhai, I too have booked a polo 1.6 4 months ago to this day, and I don't know when my car will be delivered!! What is the OTR price you will be paying ? Do you know if they have added any new features/equipment compared to the 2010 model?

Good you brought up the OTR Venkatesh.
SP said prices have gone up in 2011 by 27k to the previous 7.48 OTR and I will have to pay that much more. I put my foot down on the accelerator and argued that i've booked way back in July, been given Nov as delivery & not yet been delivered. Not my fault. He called up an hour later saying that he's 'gone way out' to ensure me the old price.
Brownie points !!!

I'm not aware and I dont think any new features added to the 2010 model.

I've little belief left in these desperate salesmen and cant trust their word: Firstly, the much delayed delivery as against the commitment, no communication whatsoever from the dealer, then sudden stoppage of production of the 1.6, was told because of mileage issues as the car was supposedly giving a mileage of 6-7 ! I've not come across any such confirmation on any of the threads here on the Polo 1.6. I suspect some other issues could be the reason for stoppage.

A bit sad that the car looks worth a buy but backed up by poor customer relationship at least in my case. Just dampens the enthu a bit for me.
Hoping the car will fire up my spirits with all of its 1600cc

Last edited by manubhai : 25th January 2011 at 00:23.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjoshi View Post
The car with almost 12000 kms now is still a stunning performer, though driving the 1.6 Polo doesn't make me appreciate the car as much. Dad finally has got bored with this car as well and looks like i would ne looking for a new car shortly. The accent is also almost 2.5 years old now and might change that before the Ritz.
So basically what you are saying is the Ritz is no where as compared to the Polo 1.6?? Actually on some other ownership thread i read that though a 1.6 the polo lacks the punch and that is the reason I asked how the performance as well as in gear acceleration is as compared to the smaller 1.2l ritz. Im sure the top end would be way better but how is the low end grunt and that poke which is required on a daily basis??
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 20:53   #52
BHPian

Finally got delivery of my red 1.6 today :-).
Noticed 1 new feature : electronic OVRMs, but driver control for rear side windows is taken out.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Noticed 1 new feature : electronic OVRMs, but driver control for rear side windows is taken out.
are you sure about the electric OVRM's in polo 1.6!
Can you please post a quick pic of it
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 11:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What! Are you serious? That's the feature I miss the most on my Polo Highline! Please post a pic soon.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 23:22   #55
BHPian

Ankit, theragingbull, will sure post a pic tomorrow.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:12   #56
BHPian

Attached pic of driver side door panel on Polo HL 1.6 : EORVM is provided, but rear window controls are absent.
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 Red Devil...the Germans got the better of me!-dsc_0122.jpg  

Old 1st February 2011, 18:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Attached pic of driver side door panel on Polo HL 1.6 : EORVM is provided, but rear window controls are absent.
That's something new. The 1.2 Highline I have has both front and rear windows controls but no OVRM control.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 20:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

That is surely a good thing VW has done. EORVMs makes things much easier while parking. Absence of rear window controls doesn't really matter. But I sorely miss the EORVMs on my Polo :( Any way to retrofit into existing Polos?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 23:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
The knob looks similar to the one in the new Fabia.
That is both good new and bad. EORVM is good. But why would they remove the rear window buttons from the driver's side? Essential when your naughty kid sitting in the rear bench plays with the window while the A/C is on full blast in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
That's something new. The 1.2 Highline I have has both front and rear windows controls but no OVRM control.
Even the 1.6 had the same - cars delivered till (I think) Jan 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That is surely a good thing VW has done. EORVMs makes things much easier while parking. Absence of rear window controls doesn't really matter. But I sorely miss the EORVMs on my Polo :( Any way to retrofit into existing Polos?
I would also be interested to know of retrofit options.

Last edited by sadnabrina : 2nd February 2011 at 00:00. Reason: Corrected spelling
sadnabrina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Was planning to upgrade to the Yokohama 'S' 205/55 R-15 or any other brand on the stock alloys. According to these guys anything lesser than 2% (some people say 3%) is a safe choice. Calculator shows it is 0.55%. My point is that speedometer error aside, tyre brushing against the wheel wells is more my concern and also the suspension and/or steering issues. What would you guys suggest?
Hi vipin,

congrats on the polo. Have you upgraded to the Yoko S-drive's as yet. I
am awaiting delivery of my polo 1.6 and was thinking upgrading to the exact same tyres (205/55 R15) would like your advice on it if u have.
Frankazoid!!! is offline   Reply With Quote