Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th December 2010, 19:51   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Test Drive: Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2dream View Post
Excellent review. I am now seriously considering it as my next car. Only if the price had been a bit lower, it would have been a super sweet deal. Exactly the car I was looking for. It has the potential to become the next swift only if Nissan decides to work on its dealer network
Swift is swift. Please lets not even think of comparing a car that has sold 5 times its nearest competition to this over rated/over priced/ disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
If you compare it to the Swift Ldi / Vdi
The Micra is terribly over priced.

A 1461cc engine producing only 64 Bhp!?
+100k reduce the amount by a lakh and maybe they can think of selling the cars or else this is going down the "beat" discounts/freebies way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
+1 to the overpriced and underfeatured bits. With this level of equipment, it should have been priced much lesser. I think the much talked about turning radius is 4.5. IIRC the turning radius of the Figo is 4.9. Not much of a difference there I would say? I would lean more toward the Figo too, seems a VFM buy
I think Nisan should realise that they are in India and not some country where people don't have choices. Specially trying to fool people in this segment, i mean come on no ABS and they call this a competitior.What are they trying to do? Fool people in 2010, is this some kind of a JOKE? Extremely disappointed with Nissan i hope they get punished by the market for this lousy stunt.

Last edited by Amartya : 18th December 2010 at 07:56. Reason: Fixed the unpaired quote.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 22:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

i went to nissan showroom yesterday to get details on the micra diesel. Upon askingg why NO ABS? I was given the funniest answer. I will try to narrate it as it happened. Note : H is me & S is sales guy there.

H : why no abs on dsl top end?
S : sir if u dont drive more than 1500 kms a month, stick to petrol
H : i drive long distances everyday and hence i need diesel. But with abs
S : Micra has amazing dynamics for highway cruising but without abs its better you stick to city driving.

That was the dummest i have ever heard. So they are trying to say that if i want to buy micra diesel i should stick to city driving only.

I reall didnt get the point of NO ABS & only driver side airbags on a car costing almost 6.75 on road. I hope nissan is reading this and Wake up.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:27   #48

Nice review Sid, only points u missed is the vanity mirror on sun shade. It gives a complete info and after your review I will be purchasing the premium diesel. Your detailed review is much appreciated. I test drove the Micra diesel & Figo diesel and whatever the cc vs bhp is on paper, for a city drive I give a big thumps to Micra, the figo diesel reminded me of the matador engine in Amby.
Ismail Swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 01:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
i went to nissan showroom yesterday to get details on the micra diesel. Upon askingg why NO ABS? I was given the funniest answer. I will try to narrate it as it happened. Note : H is me & S is sales guy there.

H : why no abs on dsl top end?
S : sir if u dont drive more than 1500 kms a month, stick to petrol
H : i drive long distances everyday and hence i need diesel. But with abs
S : Micra has amazing dynamics for highway cruising but without abs its better you stick to city driving.

That was the dummest i have ever heard. So they are trying to say that if i want to buy micra diesel i should stick to city driving only.

I reall didnt get the point of NO ABS & only driver side airbags on a car costing almost 6.75 on road. I hope nissan is reading this and Wake up.
Though the answers by salesman do not correspond to your questions, IMO none of his statements were 'dumb'!

sir if u dont drive more than 1500 kms a month, stick to petrol - correct

Micra has amazing dynamics for highway cruising but without abs its better you stick to city driving. - almost correct (you do need ABS occasionally in city driving too)
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 09:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

hey,

Sorry if i cldnt get the conversation correctly. What i meant was the sales person telling me NOT to go on highway with Micra. What i feel is the sales person should have had better ways of justifyng the lack of ABS rather than telling a prospective customer to stop going on highways.

I dont intend to start a debate on the sales person. Sorry if i wasnt able to give out the details more clearly.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 12:08   #51
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good and crisp report Sid. Had a test drive ( i did not drive)of Petrol sitting at the back.
I pushed the door trims - easily it was flexible and not rigid.
The ride quality was not as expected. I was easily feeling the road noises & felt small pot holes.
But getting in and out is very easy for a person tall like me.
The biggest question mark is the A-S-S.

@ Sid: Will Renault transform all the remaining manufactured diesel engines to Micra from Mahindra after official split up.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 17:17   #52
dot
Senior - BHPian

Nice rounded review.
Spotted a few Micras on Pune road over the last few months. Not impressed. Don't think it is a Maruti beater or for that matter, even a Figo beater. Simply because it doesn't have a road presence. Moreover paint job is poor compared to the rest of the competition. Thats a shame since Nissan makes great cars everywhere else, my personal favorite being Altima (2nd and 3rd gen) and Maxima (all gens). Hope they get their act together and give us consumers better options in the future.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 18:14   #53
BHPian

hey sid ,

do they have the chrome logo for petrol top variant too?? anything else which has been added! which was not there in the first place?
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 20:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

NOM, but the Micra in my opinion is one of the funniest looking cars. Compared to all hatchbacks in that price cadre, this is a Toy Car by looks. Definitely not one to freeze a customer like the Polo/Punto/i20. If they had a chance to make a statement it was this. The launch price of a car's model in India, MUST be well thought about. Even more than the car design to some extent. Nissan is a big player and one would expect them to do some market analysis before pasting the "MRP" label. They seem to have "pulled a Jazz" really. Barring the "push to ON" ignition (what difference does it make other than the techno factor?) there are no features that can be deal makers. Even the engine is not upto the mark - specification wise. Drive may be excellent, but the specifications on paper are what pull the customers for a test drive. They should have settled for a bit less profits to start with & pulled customers. They are up against MS, Tata-Fiat, Ford Figo, Hyundai afterall. Now they'll have a hard time I guess. Because once you sell a car at a price, its tricky to reduce it as an afterthought. The existing customers will go nuts to see the same car at a lower price...Good luck Nissan. I hope the Micra will still be a magnet to the "not so budget bothered" buyers and ladies. (NOM!)

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th December 2010 at 20:56. Reason: Missed the Figo in the competition!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 21:25   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... the Micra in my opinion is one of the funniest looking cars. Compared to all hatchbacks in that price cadre, this is a Toy Car by looks ...
It always has had. Take a look at the history. However the querkiness quotient certainly increases with each new model. It is an oddity. It works for me
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 22:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It always has had. Take a look at the history. However the querkiness quotient certainly increases with each new model. It is an oddity. It works for me
Hmm yes, I didn't think of that. You are right there. This means, Nissan is not targetting the mass market much. Its for those with a choosy taste. Not a bad idea at all to begin with...
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 23:34   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but there have been an awful lot of those querky Micras on the roads of UK over the years and the versions. My mum bought one when she was nearly 80 (and my mum, a few decades before, had had a white convertible Ford Consul with a red leather hood).

It isn't just elderly ladies, either. The last person I know who bought one was pure male, and pure Indian too. What's more, he rolled it down an embankment when it was nearly new. A musician, he and his violin emerged with only a scratched finger between them, even though the car was a right-off.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
with a depressed clutch.
Did you mean it? Even if it touched 4000 rpm in 4th gear, it would be driving at 200 Kmph (the pic you post showed 60 Kmph at about 1250 rpm)
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 17:45   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The last person I know who bought one was pure male, and pure Indian too. What's more, he rolled it down an embankment when it was nearly new. A musician, he and his violin emerged with only a scratched finger between them, even though the car was a right-off.
By the way, he had been doing 80-plus Mph before his detour down the embankment. The emergency services were surprised he was still alive.

I suppose this must have been the previous model Micra --- but it is still a mark for the strength of build.
Old 20th December 2010, 18:26   #60
BHPian

Smile Re: Test Drive: Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi

Hi
Neatly written review. Price is the deal breaker for Nissan. Though i like the looks and the design there are enough of choices with better safety features priced less than nissan micra. Plus the service network is lacking. There might be a few who would give in to the brands name but given the choices i think nissan will have a uphill task all the way. Cheers
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote