Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 08:03   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Hello guys,
Been following the queries by Sankar Balan and the wonderful replies by Vbn and Behemoth.I am also looking to purchase a yeti. The offer they have given me is Rs 85,000/ discount on ambiente, which will be about 16.35 L OTR . But only Rs 20,000/ discount for the elegance.
For an extra Rs 40,000/ , I can add a navigation and reverse camera on the ambient,if I need to. Apart from the 4 airbags, will I miss much,if I purchase the ambiente?
I have frequent back problem,how is the ride,as compared to jetta or Laura? But the problem with these sedans is the low seating and the ingress & egress.
I have been offered a discount of 1 L on the just discontinued jetta trend line.
Would love to hear your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 08:50   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hello guys,
Been following the queries by Sankar Balan and the wonderful replies by Vbn and Behemoth.I am also looking to purchase a yeti. The offer they have given me is Rs 85,000/ discount on ambiente, which will be about 16.35 L OTR . But only Rs 20,000/ discount for the elegance.
For an extra Rs 40,000/ , I can add a navigation and reverse camera on the ambient,if I need to. Apart from the 4 airbags, will I miss much,if I purchase the ambiente?
I have frequent back problem,how is the ride,as compared to jetta or Laura? But the problem with these sedans is the low seating and the ingress & egress.
I have been offered a discount of 1 L on the just discontinued jetta trend line.
Would love to hear your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Hi Ramesh,
Good to know that you are considering a Yeti!
I checked up recently in Gurgaon on the prices, and they are offering the Ambiente here at an ex-showroom price of 14.49 L -17,500 corporate discount = 14.32 approx. If you push them more, they will give another 8-10k of freebies.

On the Elegance, they are giving at an ex-showroom price of 15.59 L ex-showroom. The Elegance has a 6 CD Touchscreen display and steering mounted controls and 6 airbags. It also has the Off-road button which I mentioned in my thread.

I would recommend buying the Elegance version, as it is better loaded and you cannot get these features retrofitted from outside easily.

You will find the ride a little hard if you compare it to cars like the Hondas, but their suspensions are anyway too soft for Indian roads (I have done a detailed comparison on my thread : Battle of Unequals : Yeti Vs Civic).
So far, have driven the Yeti around 10K kms and have not found the ride too hard (I keep tyre pressure at 32 PSI) . I also have a chronic back problem (suffered a ligament tear around 11 years back when playing badminton, and never has been good since), and don't find the ride / seats uncomfortable (Max I have driven is 12 hours at a stretch).
The Laura's and Jetta's ride are also hard, but Yeti's is slightly harder as it is also designed as an SUV.. but when you compare it to other SUVs like Fortuner and Endeavour, the ride quality is softer and there is very little body roll.

I would recommend test driving all these cars (back to back if possible!) and then taking a decision based on your driving requirements (on-off road) internal space requirements, and get what your heart aspires for!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 09:22   #183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

[quote=Behemoth;2482339]Hi Ramesh,
Thanks Behemoth for your prompt reply. Yes,I have been following your other thread too. In fact,I had a civic AT too,and had to sell it off due to my back problem . Right now I am using Honda jazz. The roads here are bad and it really throws you about.
I don't do much off roading . Daily drive is only about 10 kms and then Sunday trip of about 200 kms ( maybe twice a month). So sometimes I even wonder,why not a vento petrol AT!(can be free of car loan too) ( usually change car every 3 years)
I also sustained severe slip disc while playing badminton . Now play tennis.
I have never had a diesel car. I drove my friends vento tdi,I found the clutch hard.
Would be test driving the jetta today,mostly.
Will definitely check on tyre pressure of jazz.
Thanks again
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 15:59   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

First and foremost, thanks Sushil sir for a fully detailed description of the Yeti. It looks like most existing Jazz owners look upon this as a natural progression in some way. I guess we can blame you a little bit for that!

Please keep the thread updated on future km landmarks as we are watching this space. Also, any news on the tyres yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So far, have driven the Yeti around 10K kms and have not found the ride too hard (I keep tyre pressure at 32 PSI) . I also have a chronic back problem (suffered a ligament tear around 11 years back when playing badminton, and never has been good since), and don't find the ride / seats uncomfortable (Max I have driven is 12 hours at a stretch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
In fact,I had a civic AT too,and had to sell it off due to my back problem . Right now I am using Honda jazz. The roads here are bad and it really throws you about.
I also sustained severe slip disc while playing badminton . Now play tennis.
I have never had a diesel car. I drove my friends vento tdi,I found the clutch hard.
Behemoth and Rameshdude, I had a ligament tear too while playing badminton. So I guess that is why it is not called goodminton?!

Silly jokes apart, Ramesh dude please also consider the tyres you are using on the Jazz. While I was using OEM Goodyears the situation was quite bad, but it has improved a lot since I changed to Bridgestones (and alloys) - suspension warranty be damned.
selfdrive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 20:20   #185
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
First and foremost, thanks Sushil sir for a fully detailed description of the Yeti. It looks like most existing Jazz owners look upon this as a natural progression in some way. I guess we can blame you a little bit for that!

Please keep the thread updated on future km landmarks as we are watching this space. Also, any news on the tyres yet?
Thanks selfdrive! Jazz and Yeti - what do they have in common. In their respective segments they are undoubtedly most practical, very high on quality. Jazz to my mind is beats the City for quality and practicality, returns better fuel efficiency, is easy to drive (and park) in the city, safe enough for accessional foray on the highway, loads of space in front as well as rear. A similar list could be drawn out for Yeti. Small from outside, big from inside. Easy to drive in the city and great fun on the highway. Superb built and finish coupled with excellent FE. Neither will service the owner's ego. Both appeal to heart, as well as mind.

However, I must also admit, had Yeti been available when I bought Jazz, I might not have purchased Jazz at all. I would have missed out on a great driving experience!
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 23:00   #186
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 875
Thanked: 399 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

What about the tire? did Skoda supplied the new tire or you where able to source it from market?
-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 06:38   #187
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
What about the tire? did Skoda supplied the new tire or you where able to source it from market?
-Pramod
The story of the Yeti tire has become even more tiring.

When I couldn't get the tire in the market, I bitterly complained to Skoda and they did listen. They sent two new tires from their production line. I paid for them and got them installed installed.

Less than 500 km and one of the brand new tyres has again a damaged side wall!

I have been driving nearly 30 years, and haven't damaged a tyre - except now. I know that I am careful, and would definitely know if tyre takes a hit. Last time around I gave the benefit of doubt to Goodyear when they claimed that the tyre would have got a hit. This time I am sure the tyre has had contact with nothing but the tarmac.

A latex balloon would be stronger that the material Goodyear choses for their tires and with which Skoda adorns the Yeti.

I have renewed my search for a suitable A/T in the size 215-60-16. In case I can't find one, I'll knock on Guderian's door to help me a Yoko set in 215-65-16 sizes - 3.2 % increase in diameter not withstanding.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 10:23   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
The story of the Yeti tire has become even more tiring.

When I couldn't get the tire in the market, I bitterly complained to Skoda and they did listen. They sent two new tires from their production line. I paid for them and got them installed installed.

Less than 500 km and one of the brand new tyres has again a damaged side wall!

I have been driving nearly 30 years, and haven't damaged a tyre - except now. I know that I am careful, and would definitely know if tyre takes a hit. Last time around I gave the benefit of doubt to Goodyear when they claimed that the tyre would have got a hit. This time I am sure the tyre has had contact with nothing but the tarmac.

A latex balloon would be stronger that the material Goodyear choses for their tires and with which Skoda adorns the Yeti.

I have renewed my search for a suitable A/T in the size 215-60-16. In case I can't find one, I'll knock on Guderian's door to help me a Yoko set in 215-65-16 sizes - 3.2 % increase in diameter not withstanding.
Hi Sushil,

Completely agree with you on the Tyres..! I also have one damaged sidewall tyre (5 mm cut) and when I asked the Skoda service for replacement, they said I will need to pay 10,300 for the tyre ! As of now, I am still continuing with the same tyres, but at the first instance that I am able to get a replacement, I will replace all four tyres.
I was able to find one more tyre size which will fit the Yeti- this was 225/55 R16 95V (OD difference of around -1.58%) which was available in Pirelli P7 Citurato with the dealer at 10K per tyre in Gurgaon. These tyres are OEM for BMW X3/X5 and are road biased tyres for High power SUVs. Maybe other users of P7 Cinturatos can share their experiences.

Another long standing problem which I had with the AC not cooling effectively was resolved when I gave my Yeti for service. The compressor was changed (new design) and ECU firmware was updated. It has made the AC now almost twice as effective. The Engine scan logs are below for your reference. Do get this update done when you give your Yeti for service.

Pre-update
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (J623-CLCB) Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 018 EK HW: 03L 906 018 BR
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H22 6821
Revision: 42H22--- Serial number:
Coding: 00190012040700080000
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906018EK 003005
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906018EK.rod
VCID: 77F7F51B7F56



Post-update


Address 01: Engine (J623-CLCB) Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 018 EK HW: 03L 906 018 BR
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H22 9482
Revision: 42H22--- Serial number:
Coding: 00190012040700080000
Shop #: WSC 10040 663 88846
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906018EK 003007
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906018EK.rod
VCID: 77F7F51B7F56


Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 20th October 2011 at 10:27.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:25   #189
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Skoda Yeti - Tyre upgrade and Chip Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Sushil,

Completely agree with you on the Tyres..! I also have one damaged sidewall tyre (5 mm cut) and when I asked the Skoda service for replacement, they said I will need to pay 10,300 for the tyre ! As of now, I am still continuing with the same tyres, but at the first instance that I am able to get a replacement, I will replace all four tyres.
I was able to find one more tyre size which will fit the Yeti- this was 225/55 R16 95V (OD difference of around -1.58%) which was available in Pirelli P7 Citurato with the dealer at 10K per tyre in Gurgaon. These tyres are OEM for BMW X3/X5 and are road biased tyres for High power SUVs. Maybe other users of P7 Cinturatos can share their experiences.

Another long standing problem which I had with the AC not cooling effectively was resolved when I gave my Yeti for service. The compressor was changed (new design) and ECU firmware was updated. It has made the AC now almost twice as effective. The Engine scan logs are below for your reference. Do get this update done when you give your Yeti for service.

Regards,
Behemoth
Thanks Behemoth. Pramod has also got the firmware upgrade. I too will get in touch with the local workshop and check when I could get the update.

I have also been toying with idea of upgrading the A/T or H/T tires to 215-65-R16. This would mean an increased diameter of 3.25%, which in turn would result in changed gear ratio as well.

I was just wondering if adding a chip, like the one from Chip Express in conjunction with tyre upgrade would make sense.

Here is the link from Chip Express: Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™

There are other options available from German and Italian manufacturers as well that I have seen on the net.

Now I have following questions:

Most manufacturers claim an increase in torque, BHP and improved fuel economy. They also claim that these add-on boxes do not require any cutting of wires etc., and do not void warranty.

1. What are the pros and cons of adding one of these?

2. Will adding a tuning box offset the effect of change in gear ratio due to increase in tyre size of the order of 3.25%?

3. If tuning can increase BHP and torque by nearly 20% and improve FE by 15%, why is it that manufacturers don't tune their engines so?

4. I know that none of us has experimented with this on Yeti, has someone used these on a similar motor, say for example in Laura or Jetta?

I'd really appreciate some reflections on this.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 19:10   #190
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 875
Thanked: 399 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti - Tyre upgrade and Chip Tuning Box

See my inline reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I was just wondering if adding a chip, like the one from Chip Express in conjunction with tyre upgrade would make sense.

Here is the link from Chip Express: Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™

1. What are the pros and cons of adding one of these?

Pros: Increased torque and bhp
Cons: "Some" stress on the engine internals, as they are design and mapped with the torque and bhp output, but won't do much damage as these chips are not as "harsh" as remaps!

2. Will adding a tuning box offset the effect of change in gear ratio due to increase in tyre size of the order of 3.25%?
Answer is no, the gear ratio will be same, you will feel the torque and bhp change only!

3. If tuning can increase BHP and torque by nearly 20% and improve FE by 15%, why is it that manufacturers don't tune their engines so?

There can be many reasons, as the same Yeti engine 2.0 TDI produces 110 , 140 and 170 bhp with different remap, though there are internal changes in the turbo and other parts, the 170 bhp uses different turbo and brakes to handle the increase on bhp and torque

4. I know that none of us has experimented with this on Yeti, has someone used these on a similar motor, say for example in Laura or Jetta?

Yes, there are people on this forum who have used chip like http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1600048 (Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning))


I'd really appreciate some reflections on this.
I have RaceChip lying with me, I got that from Germany for Scorpio and used it but Scorpio was not able to handle the increase in torque and bhp, it used to throw mal function light above the speed of 130kmph, the chip can be used on other crdi vehicle provided the connector are changed as per the vehicle, will wait till I get bored and get the connector for yeti from racechip some day.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 19:33   #191
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 352
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai

Thanks Behemoth. Pramod has also got the firmware upgrade. I too will get in touch with the local workshop and check when I could get the update.

I have also been toying with idea of upgrading the A/T or H/T tires to 215-65-R16. This would mean an increased diameter of 3.25%, which in turn would result in changed gear ratio as well.

I was just wondering if adding a chip, like the one from Chip Express in conjunction with tyre upgrade would make sense.

Here is the link from Chip Express: Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™

There are other options available from German and Italian manufacturers as well that I have seen on the net.

Now I have following questions:

Most manufacturers claim an increase in torque, BHP and improved fuel economy. They also claim that these add-on boxes do not require any cutting of wires etc., and do not void warranty.

1. What are the pros and cons of adding one of these?

2. Will adding a tuning box offset the effect of change in gear ratio due to increase in tyre size of the order of 3.25%?

3. If tuning can increase BHP and torque by nearly 20% and improve FE by 15%, why is it that manufacturers don't tune their engines so?

4. I know that none of us has experimented with this on Yeti, has someone used these on a similar motor, say for example in Laura or Jetta?

I'd really appreciate some reflections on this.
Well being a user of pirelli cinturato on my X1 i can vouch for them, phenomenal road grip simply cannot describe the amazing road grip the tyres give. if it s any consolation i have already replaced one tyre due to a sidewall cut!! Done just 6,000km on them.
Also can say have noticed that grip levels have dropped from when the tyres where brand new.
Post sidewall cut i have to think 5 times before running over a porthole.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 23:47   #192
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
See my inline reply

I have RaceChip lying with me, I got that from Germany for Scorpio and used it but Scorpio was not able to handle the increase in torque and bhp, it used to throw mal function light above the speed of 130kmph, the chip can be used on other crdi vehicle provided the connector are changed as per the vehicle, will wait till I get bored and get the connector for yeti from racechip some day.
Thanks Pramod. I went through the other threads on the issue. Pretty informative stuff. I now also have some sensing about manufacturers wouldn't map the ECU to what the tuning boxes do. I'm inclined to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Well being a user of pirelli cinturato on my X1 i can vouch for them, phenomenal road grip simply cannot describe the amazing road grip the tyres give. if it s any consolation i have already replaced one tyre due to a sidewall cut!! Done just 6,000km on them.
Also can say have noticed that grip levels have dropped from when the tyres where brand new.
Post sidewall cut i have to think 5 times before running over a porthole.
Thanks abishek for your inputs. Sorry to learn about the sidewall damage. The cuts on the sidewalls definitely have made me more cautious over any potholes. The extra caution has also taken away some joys of driving the Yeti.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:41   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Hi Sushil,

My comments on some of your queries in Bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Thanks Behemoth. Pramod has also got the firmware upgrade. I too will get in touch with the local workshop and check when I could get the update.You should definitely get this upgrade done, as it will make a huge difference in AC cooling - it is a 30min job at the service station (if they have a technical advisor who knows how to do it!)

I have also been toying with idea of upgrading the A/T or H/T tires to 215-65-R16. This would mean an increased diameter of 3.25%, which in turn would result in changed gear ratio as well. I was also thinking along the same lines, but still am wary about warranty issues. I checked with Skoda and the dealer and they explicitly mentioned that this size will invalidate suspension warranty. In case I am not able to get AT/HT tyres in stock size I may eventually go for Michelin Primacy LC/ Bridestone Turanza tyres in the stock size. Ideally, tyres like Yoho HTS/ Micheline Latitude Tour HP are the perfect tyres for the Yeti, in stock size - but neither of these options are available in India.

I was just wondering if adding a chip, like the one from Chip Express in conjunction with tyre upgrade would make sense.

Here is the link from Chip Express: Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™
Being an automobile engineer, I would not recommend a chipping for the Yeti, as it has more than enough power even in stock condition for Indian roads. Higher powers are good for perfect roads and high speeds. Also, with higher power, corresponding components like Turbo, intercooler, clutch plates, gear box and disc brakes are also required, otherwise it can damage the stock components due to higher stress. Also, you will in practical conditions, not be able to utilize higher power due to the power coming in at higher RPMs (4000 rpm+ as most of us do not drive in that power band!)
There are other options available from German and Italian manufacturers as well that I have seen on the net.

Now I have following questions:

Most manufacturers claim an increase in torque, BHP and improved fuel economy. They also claim that these add-on boxes do not require any cutting of wires etc., and do not void warranty.

1. What are the pros and cons of adding one of these? Mentioned some above. If Skoda comes to know that even a plug in chip has been used, they will Void warranty! Users normally take out the plug in Chips when taking the car it for service and then plug it back in later). That's why OEM connectors are vital. Once taken out, even then there are ways to check with diagnostics on the performance logs and they can find out if they want to.

2. Will adding a tuning box offset the effect of change in gear ratio due to increase in tyre size of the order of 3.25%?
Yes, it does affect the gearbox as the torque output maybe higher and gears will be under higher stress. Tyre size may not have as high an impact as overinflation / underinflation of tyres also cause a substantial variation in running diameter (as high as 5% for 20PSI tyres vs 32 PSI tyres)

3. If tuning can increase BHP and torque by nearly 20% and improve FE by 15%, why is it that manufacturers don't tune their engines so?
(Higher states of tune are not optimum for road driving conditions especially in India, considering road and fuel quality. Also, higher power is a tradeoff for lesser life of the engine. 25% higher power from the same engine will bring down the longevity of the engine by 50%.
4. I know that none of us has experimented with this on Yeti, has someone used these on a similar motor, say for example in Laura or Jetta?
You can find many such examples on Briskoda
I'd really appreciate some reflections on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Well being a user of pirelli cinturato on my X1 i can vouch for them, phenomenal road grip simply cannot describe the amazing road grip the tyres give. if it s any consolation i have already replaced one tyre due to a sidewall cut!! Done just 6,000km on them.
Also can say have noticed that grip levels have dropped from when the tyres where brand new.
Post sidewall cut i have to think 5 times before running over a porthole.
Thanks Abhishek. I guess Pirelli also will have the same drawback of weak sidewall which our current Goodyears have.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st November 2011 at 11:45.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:56   #194
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Thanks Behemoth! Very succinct explanation to all points. I will stay away from chipping the Yeti.

You're right, it has enough power as it is.

In case you get a reasonable set of tires do let me know and we'll change them together.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:23   #195
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Sushil,

Being an automobile engineer, I would not recommend a chipping for the Yeti, as it has more than enough power even in stock condition for Indian roads. Higher powers are good for perfect roads and high speeds. Also, with higher power, corresponding components like Turbo, intercooler, clutch plates, gear box and disc brakes are also required, otherwise it can damage the stock components due to higher stress. Also, you will in practical conditions, not be able to utilize higher power due to the power coming in at higher RPMs (4000 rpm+ as most of us do not drive in that power band!)
I have to ask you, have you used a chip before on any car? For you it has enough power for Indian roads, but that does not mean it has for everybody. Well the gearbox and brakes are used with the 170bhp engine too so there is no question of them not handling the powerr.

Yes there will be some more wear on components in the engine, but how many kms of the usable life will they really shave off? For the extra power it is worth it. I think this largely depends on the tuning box used. There is much higher risk if it is from an unknown company with a generic tuning box. If the box is built specifically for the car then there should be no problem.

I've used a tuning box on my Innova for 85k kms + without a hitch. And I'm planning one for my 320D too.

Also the extra power and torque can be felt much before the turbo spools so I don't know where 4000 rpm came into the picture.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8 ajaypjayaraj DIY - Do it yourself 186 7th January 2017 19:25
4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6 Akshay1234 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 91 8th December 2016 01:11
Mercedes C220 20,000kms Report. EDIT : Now 90,000 kms update! GTO Long-Term Ownership Reviews 327 21st February 2015 09:17
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
In pursuit of happiness: my next car UPDATE: Skoda Yeti wins over C+ segment sedans ! GloryManUnited Sedans 82 4th January 2011 00:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks