Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th January 2011, 17:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP

S'Baleno, i10 comes in AT version only in sportz version, which costs 5.98 lakhs on road ( Vizag) whereas A* AT costs 5.05 lakhs on road. Now tell me is i10 worth 93 extra grands? I, for one, do not think so. i10 may be better, but not better enough to justify 93K. And hey, I am in the same situation as you are. The car is for my FIL and wife. Wife learnt driving on 800 but she could never get the hang of gear/clutch concept and she panics. FIL, at his age, needs a stress-free drive. Heck, why FIL alone, I think even I need a stress-free drive, which is why even my next set of wheels will be an AT. Too bad, Safari doesn't come with AT ( for self. Not for FIL/Wife).
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 18:41   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP

Oh, OK so there is quite some difference in price there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
S'Baleno, i10 comes in AT version only in sportz version, which costs 5.98 lakhs on road ( Vizag) whereas A* AT costs 5.05 lakhs on road. Now tell me is i10 worth 93 extra grands? I, for one, do not think so.
Given that your primary need is a hassle-free commute for your wife/FIL, the A*-AT fits the bill perfectly. They in all probability would not need the extra performance that might come with the i10-AT. Ofcourse the waiting period and escalations that you would need to do to get the car would test your patience.

Quote:
The car is for my FIL and wife. Wife learnt driving on 800 but she could never get the hang of gear/clutch concept and she panics. FIL, at his age, needs a stress-free drive.
Sounds just like our situation. I would say go for it. Or atleast pay 5K and book a car (after a TD ofcourse) - if during the coming months, you find another better AT alternative, cancel the booking.

Some snaps from a recent drive to Sundarateeram (Beautiful Shore in Malayalam) at Padappakara, Kollam. This place is like 35 kms from Kollam town and you drive uphill for a few kms and when you look down it is still the Ashtamudi lake you see, which is spread all over Kollam and beyond. The water-body you see in the background in the last 3 snaps is the Ashtamudi lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-dsc03412.jpg  

Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-dsc03413.jpg  

Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-dsc03438.jpg  

Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-dsc03439.jpg  

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th January 2011 at 18:55.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 11:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
AFAIK it is a very good practice (which I follow too) to switch to N from D at short duration stops / traffic light. IMO thats why the shifter can be moved between N <-> D without pressing the shift lock button/pressing the brakes (in some AT cars). I highly doubt there will be any wear and tear due to this.
Also - keeping the car in D and pressing the brakes takes its toll on he brakes and brakelights (which goes kaput sooner).
This helps in better FE and lower transmission strain. Think of it this way - in manual terms, when in D it is similar to you being in half clutch (so that in the Auto, the car does not stall. Just a comparison and not the actual case) causing strain on the mechanicals. In fact it is much better to shift to N in signals. That's what Chevrolet has also advised for the Cruzeiro AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

This was not funny anymore and after some emails back and forth with MSIL, we are told that the Black color we ordered would take time. Instead we were given an option to choose from 1 of 4 colors all of which sounded crappy to us. But since we did not want to wait any further, we chose Healing Green.
Can you please let me know how you got in touch with Maruti directly? I have no color preference (though I hate Red), and so wanted to check out if I could mail / talk to them directly...
scuderiaferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 08:03   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari
Can you please let me know how you got in touch with Maruti directly?
On the Maruti site, check the "Contact Us" link which should have the email/name of the Maruti regional office for your region. Also, when you log a complaint with Maruti, they include the respective regional sales guy. That was how I got it.

Update :
The 1st service of the car was done at 836kms on 15-Jan-2010. Since there is no oil/filter change, charges were zero. Currently the odo reads around 910kms.

FE update :
The 2nd and 3rd FE check (using the LFI to LFI method) returned 13kmpl+ with a/c on always. I mention '+' because, in both cases we refuelled before the LowFuelIndicator (LFI) came up blinking. At the time of refuelling, the car had already done 127 & 130kms respectively for the 10litres put each time with easy scope to go another 10-odd kms before LFI pops up. For Kerala kind of traffic, looks like the FE would stabilise between 14-15kmpl.

Hill-assist :
Yesterday I was climbing up a steep road leading to NH47 - I was in D and midway I removed leg from A-pedal. The car just stayed put without moving backward or forward. I think the forward AT-creep just about balanced the backward gravitational pull. Is this what hill-assist is about ? I am kinda confused.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th January 2011 at 08:07.
Old 17th January 2011, 09:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
On the Maruti site, check the "Contact Us" link which should have the email/name of the Maruti regional office for your region. Also, when you log a complaint with Maruti, they include the respective regional sales guy. That was how I got it.
I had raised a complaint in the contact us page, and all I got was a reply asking me to get in touch with the dealer. Probably some customer care executives standard response.

I will also check the contact details option you suggested.

By the way, how much time did it take to get Thebes after you contacted MSIL.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:07   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, that is the standard reply after which they forward your query/complaint to dealer. When dealer contacts you, the email might have MSIL folks also listed - which was how I got the email of Kerala sales guy.

BTW, I just checked ContactMe link - but only phone numbers there, no emails.

What is "Thebes" ?
Old 17th January 2011, 13:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
S'Baleno, i10 comes in AT version only in sportz version, which costs 5.98 lakhs on road ( Vizag) whereas A* AT costs 5.05 lakhs on road. Now tell me is i10 worth 93 extra grands? I, for one, do not think so. i10 may be better, but not better enough to justify 93K.
Hyundai shot itself in the foot by taking out the Magna AT variant in the Kappa2 !

However the i10 still has a few tricks up its sleeve :

1. Higher seating position - very very important for elderly people
2. Much better all round visibility - great for novice drivers
3. Better performance
4. Much better interior - CRITICAL if the car is for your wife and helps delay the inevitable trade to a larger car due to dissonance
5. Higher resale value ( at least 50k more over 3 year period). If you dont believe me, check with your friendly 2nd hand car dealer.
6. Rear seat space
7. Boot space
8. Refinement
9. Frills like the ORVM indicators etc

IMO, the A* is the real deal only if :
1. It is a second car
2. It is retained for 5 years or more
3. Not more than 2 people in the car at any point of time
4. You do not need to ferry elderly people
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 14:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is the standard reply after which they forward your query/complaint to dealer. When dealer contacts you, the email might have MSIL folks also listed - which was how I got the email of Kerala sales guy.

BTW, I just checked ContactMe link - but only phone numbers there, no emails.

What is "Thebes" ?
Sorry that was a typo error (The phone auto corrected).

My question was how much time did it take for you to get the car after you contacted MSIL?

I spoke to MSIL Cochin office and they mentioned they are working on this case and would revert to me soon.

I am half tempted to look at the i10 Auto, though I am not at all happy with my previous Hyundai experience, and more importantly my family having been and still being a Maruti customer for the last 25 odd years.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:45   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question was how much time did it take for you to get the car after you contacted MSIL? I spoke to MSIL Cochin office and they mentioned they are working on this case and would revert to me soon.
On raising pressure, they came back the next day or so with 4 colors available at factory and after we chose 1 of them, IIRC, in 2weeks or so, the car was at the dealers. How long since you booked the car and what was the quoted delivery ? Which dealer ?

Quote:
I am half tempted to look at the i10 Auto, though I am not at all happy with my previous Hyundai experience, and more importantly my family having been and still being a Maruti customer for the last 25 odd years.
TD both and decide which is good for you. Rear space and boot space are better in i10 and if this is high in the priority list, the i10 would be a good choice. For us, the car would be 95% used only by in-laws (2 people) or me/wifey/kid. So did not really matter to us.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
On raising pressure, they came back the next day or so with 4 colors available at factory and after we chose 1 of them, IIRC, in 2weeks or so, the car was at the dealers. How long since you booked the car and what was the quoted delivery ? Which dealer ?
Booked with Popular on the 10th. Quoted 3 months waiting period. Wanted the car before wife joined back to work. I have no specific choice of color either.

Quote:
TD both and decide which is good for you. Rear space and boot space are better in i10 and if this is high in the priority list, the i10 would be a good choice. For us, the car would be 95% used only by in-laws (2 people) or me/wifey/kid. So did not really matter to us.
I have test driven both and found both OK. Liked the A-star for its looks, Maruti support [Most important] and VFM. I like i10 as a car, but with my previous experience with Hyundai service, would think 100 times.

Primarily for city use, to be driven by my wife. Once in a while, there would be highway drives (even then, with minimal luggage. 2 adults and 2 kids primarily), but mostly for the highways it would be the Baleno doing the duty.

By the way, how is the driveability. On city/town and medium highway drives?
Old 17th January 2011, 17:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hill-assist :
Yesterday I was climbing up a steep road leading to NH47 - I was in D and midway I removed leg from A-pedal. The car just stayed put without moving backward or forward. I think the forward AT-creep just about balanced the backward gravitational pull. Is this what hill-assist is about ? I am kinda confused.
Good to hear about A*'s gradeability. SB, can you please tell me roughly what degree the gradient was of. And how many on board and was the AC on?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 18:31   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FE update :
The 2nd and 3rd FE check (using the LFI to LFI method) returned 13kmpl+ with a/c on always.

For Kerala kind of traffic, looks like the FE would stabilise between 14-15kmpl.
14 w/AC is excellent FE for an A/T. Although I urge you to try out tankful-tankful method (with autofuel cut) which is best for accuracy.

What kind of traffic/drive cycle is this? Bangalore rush hour would probably knock off 1-2 kpl
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 20:48   #73
BHPian

Thanks for quite a comprehensive review supremebaleno.

I think i10 auto is better compared to A* auto in respect to power and space. But a very important point to note is A* auto comes with ABS where as i10 auto has ABS only in the top end Asta variant, which is grossly overpriced for being a small auto car.

In an auto car you need to have razor sharp brakes as you have to rely on normal brakes as against the engine braking in manual cars so IMO ABS is very important for auto car. I personally would prefer safety over spaciousness (ie A* auto over i10 auto). i10 Auto sportz model with optional ABS would be a better value for money. ABS in manual has helped me couple of times.

Automatic experts please share your thoughts regarding importance of ABS in auto.

Last edited by panks15 : 17th January 2011 at 21:00. Reason: typed magna instead of asta variant
panks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 21:37   #74
BHPian

Very useful review , I have been toying around with the idea of buying an automatic for my wife from quite some time .
Within my budget the only choices are i10 and A-Star , Can you please jot down a couple of points why you chose A-Star over i10 ?

Regards
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 18:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Booked with Popular on the 10th. Quoted 3 months waiting period.
OK, so now they are playing safe by quoting 3-months. With us, they had quoted 25 days and when this got delayed, we had to go to MSIL.

Quote:
Primarily for city use, to be driven by my wife. Once in a while, there would be highway drives (even then, with minimal luggage. 2 adults and 2 kids primarily), but mostly for the highways it would be the Baleno doing the duty. By the way, how is the driveability. On city/town and medium highway drives?
For your use, the A* would be perfect - your wife wont miss the extra punch that the i10 would have and the lesser rear/boot space won't matter too. I found the car a hoot to drive. Only issue was I am a little hesitant to try overtaking - I miss the surety provided by shifting down gears.

Quote:
Good to hear about A*'s gradeability. SB, can you please tell me roughly what degree the gradient was of. And how many on board and was the AC on?
It was a steep gradient - approx 40deg or so. For those from Kollam, this is the road from Capithans theatre climbing up to NH47. Me, wifey and kid on board - a/c is always on. My Dad was behind us in the Swift and I could 'hear' the Swift working its way up the slope - since the entry is to a busy NH, we have to climb up, stop on the gradient, lookout for traffic and then get onto the main road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
14 w/AC is excellent FE for an A/T. Although I urge you to try out tankful-tankful method (with autofuel cut) which is best for accuracy.
Yeah, I think I would be happy if it is 14kmpl. I do plan to do a tankful-tankful method and I believe that is one of the accurate ways to measure FE. But after seeing the LFI on A* and the LowFuelLight that comes up on i10, I am wondering whether these would be a more reliable way to measure FE - almost on par with the reserve-to-reserve we do on bikes.

Consider this : The LFI or LFL I believe will always come on when the fuel in the tank drops to a set point. If you can keep track of when this exactly comes on (might be off by max 1km), won't the fuel consumed between 2 LFI/LFLs give the best measure of FE ? Correct me if I am wrong because I am almost feeling like I have solved the perennial puzzle of finding a car's FE.

It does need constant monitoring to keep track of LFI coming on. But I have done it thrice - infact I was able to note the point where each of the fuel-gauge blocks vanished and my 3 readings taken after putting in 10litres after LFI seem to indicate that there is a set pattern. It did require me to keep looking at the fuel-gauge every few mins, but I was able to do that.

I think the same would be possible for i10 too - if we keep a constant watch on the guages, we would notice a light popping up there. It would have helped if there was a audio-beep also when light comes on. Maybe a DIY project for a i10 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
What kind of traffic/drive cycle is this? Bangalore rush hour would probably knock off 1-2 kpl
We had 40kms of highway where I was doing max of 75kmph. The rest 220kms was all small town roads, not as busy as Chennai/Blore, but not free roads either. Plus most of this was driven by wifey - newbie to driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panks15
Automatic experts please share your thoughts regarding importance of ABS in auto.
Not an expert, but I think it indeed is reassuring to have ABS in AT cars since engine-braking cannot be leveraged like in MTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar
Can you please jot down a couple of points why you chose A-Star over i10 ?
2 main reasons - 1 logical and 1 not so. The logical reason was FE - I reckoned A* would be more FE given that it has a smaller engine and has the K-series engine etc. Also between an MT A* and MT i10, teambhp-ian Sankar who owns both cars, mentioned that A* is more FE by around 2kms. I would assume this would apply to their AT versions too. Plus an ex-colleague who owns an i10-AT in Blore mentioned single-digit FE - which made me wary.

The not so logical reason is that I prefer Japanese cars. So never even bothered to do a TD of i10. I would not buy it, so why bother TD-ing. This is not to say that non-Jap cars are not good or whatever - it is just my opinion, which could have been formed by the fact that we have never owned a non-Jap car in the 25 years that we have been using cars. I have no issues driving cars of any make though.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th January 2011 at 18:34.