Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th January 2011, 21:48   #46
BHPian

Default Re: i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
It's really surprising how some users do not have these rattling issues whereas for some users it has become a real headache. It appears that there has been a batch of cars having this problem. Or maybe a batch of cars which don't have these issues.

I am extremely confused as after having made up my mind on an i20 i ended up reading so much about the rattling issues I almost gave up on it.
Kalpesh, this is exactly I was referring to few days back. While some (infact majority on t-bhp) reported the steering rattle issues, my conversations with my office colleagues and friends said no such issues for them.

And, I also checked with the sales manager at Advaith, Bangalore and asked him if the steering rattle issue has been fixed when I booked my car in Dec2010. Surprisingly, he told me that he never heard of any such issues. (agreed, he may be trying to sell his car).

As you rightly said, may be some batch had this issues. Also, after all, Hyundai is selling an average of 6k cars/month with I20. If everybody were facing this issue, it sure would be very famous by now, in the media and everywhere.

Considering all this, I went ahead and booked the car with all the niceties it has and just hoping my car doesn't fall into those rattling batch.

Hope this helps.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 09:33   #47
BHPian

One of the reasons maybe because of the roads that these cars are driven. For most of the city dwellers if they are driving on relatively better roads, this issue may just not crop up. It appears to crop up only after your drive on bad roads. Maybe a potholed highway rattles something loose inside, who knows. The only problem is putting in close to 6.5L and then 'hoping' that the problem may not appear in ones car. This is something that I just do not seem to be able to do.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 16:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
One of the reasons maybe because of the roads that these cars are driven.
May be so, but that being said, my old Swift ZXi never had steering rattle driven on the same roads and in some cases even much more worse roads and that is the reason I pursued the matter very seriously with Hyundai. The bottom line is they have a serious design flaw in their steering systems and they are unable to fix the issues permanently.

There were rattles in the Swift but they were from door panels and plastics and they could be easily fixed. Also, unlike these Hyundai guys, the Maruti service guys never created any any fuss about fixing rattles or any other minor issues.
skanchan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 09:22   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool!

That's the key. Even though a Maruti would rattle more than a Hyundai, it's a fact that the company has implicitly accepted and they'd go ahead and try and fix all the rattles as they can. The problem is that Hyundai has not truly accepted this being a major problem at all.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:12   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool!

I own a 2009 i20 ASTA, bought in Jan 2010 and I don't see the steering rattle issue, have driven around 10k in Bangalore roads, so I guess the problem may be with some batch of cars and not the roads. Also I think the service center guys are familiar with this problem.

Couple of weeks back when I visited the service center for my 3rd service, I was reporting a problem about vibration that is being felt on the steering in neutral after an hour or so of city driving. The Service Advisor didn't listen properly and thought its steering rattle issue and started explaining about it and how he can change the urethene brush etc,. I had to explain him couple of times that its a vibration issue and not rattling to make sure that he doesn't introduce the rattling issue in my car by fiddling around with the steering

By the way do you see the vibration being felt on the steering after driving around for some time? After the service it seems to have reduced, but I still feel it more than what it used to be in the beginning.
nagarjun is online now   Reply With Quote