Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:30   #286
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 873
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

I don't like the DRL to be there, as Yeti already has a DRL may be this guy need to change the current DRL from bulb to LED, its possible and people are doing that all around, the LED comes with external attachment that need to fool the CAN signal about the watt and prevent the blub error on dashboard and register the error for electrical error! Changing the current DRL to LED would be the option to go for

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:20   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

As regards the F.E.
I filled exactly 47 litres today after having run 702 kms on my Yeti since the last fill which I did just before the trip.
This means the Yeti has been returning an FE of 14.93 - almost 15 kmpl which I think is excellent indeed.
The trip involved some good driving on the smooth highways, some rough road work in the hills, some spirited hill driving and of course the morning and evening commute to work and back today.
All in all, if this is the kind of FE I can consistently expect, I would be quite pleased indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:44   #288
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
As regards the F.E.
I filled exactly 47 litres today after having run 702 kms on my Yeti since the last fill which I did just before the trip.
This means the Yeti has been returning an FE of 14.93 - almost 15 kmpl which I think is excellent indeed.
The trip involved some good driving on the smooth highways, some rough road work in the hills, some spirited hill driving and of course the morning and evening commute to work and back today.
All in all, if this is the kind of FE I can consistently expect, I would be quite pleased indeed.
It will only get better! If you drive patiently, it will reward you with 20 km/l ! However patience is a very difficult virtue to come by, especially if you have so much power to tap on the Yeti. I have also observed that it gives the best mileage when driven in the 2000-2500 rpm band.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 14:03   #289
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Hi Guys,

I have completed 1200 ecstatic kms so far on my silver Yeti Ambiente. I have had such good fun and a smile everytime i get into this deceptive beast! I cannot add anymore to what Shankar has already eloquently described about the initial driving experience.. Its been absolutely fabulous and i can see myself in the driving seat of this one for a very long time..

However woke up this morning to a nightmare - my dog chased a squirrel onto a wire under which i had parked and she has scratched the left side door quite badly :( :( It was such a heart wrenching moment and im feeling awful right now.. I checked if the scratches were deep and they dont seem to be but they are still visible from a distance.. Its like a white pencil drawing that wont go away with wiping.. Could i please request help/ guidance in going about dealing with this? I have recommended on some compund type of material or buffing etc.. Any suggestion is welcome..
Demonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 14:28   #290
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Its like a white pencil drawing that wont go away with wiping.. Could i please request help/ guidance in going about dealing with this? I have recommended on some compund type of material or buffing etc.. Any suggestion is welcome..
Good to know that you are enjoying your Yeti so well. While posting a few pics would help to know the exact severity of the scratches, since you say that they appear to white scratches, it generally means that the top layer of paint has been scratched which is ok and a good dose of rubbing compound should hide the scratch forever. In case the rubbing compound doesn't help, the next option is to procure some paint of your Yeti's shade from the ASC and do a brush touch up at home or with a patient painter followed by a coat of polish.

Also, in case you have a good car polish at home, you could try to apply generous amounts of it near the area and then buff the entire area using a soft cloth. This would bring the scratch to its actual dimension for better examination.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 15:16   #291
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Hey

As Devdath says the scratchout compound may help but it depends totally on the scratch. In the case of my Scorpio a cat had leaped onto the bonnet and left some scratch marks - they refused to go despite a full rub and polish job at the dealers place plus a couple of applications of rubbing compound followed by wax at that specific place.
Lets see it one day soon and maybe we can figure a remedy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Hi Guys,

I have completed 1200 ecstatic kms so far on my silver Yeti Ambiente. I have had such good fun and a smile everytime i get into this deceptive beast! I cannot add anymore to what Shankar has already eloquently described about the initial driving experience.. Its been absolutely fabulous and i can see myself in the driving seat of this one for a very long time..

However woke up this morning to a nightmare - my dog chased a squirrel onto a wire under which i had parked and she has scratched the left side door quite badly :( :( It was such a heart wrenching moment and im feeling awful right now.. I checked if the scratches were deep and they dont seem to be but they are still visible from a distance.. Its like a white pencil drawing that wont go away with wiping.. Could i please request help/ guidance in going about dealing with this? I have recommended on some compund type of material or buffing etc.. Any suggestion is welcome..
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 15:21   #292
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,203 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

I'm not much good at this stuff, as the state of my car could tell you, but please remember that rubbing compound only "hides" scratches by removing the surrounding paint down to the same level as the depth of the scratch. Try it as a last resort, especially on a new vehicle.

First, try wax/polish, which may fill the scratches.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 15:37   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Thanks Thad

Another brainwave - there is another compound called COM PAINT whose ads I have seen in the car magazines. Apparently they ve got all the shades of all the various paints of these slightly higher end cars.
Why not check them out?
Check this link Aeroaids Corporation - Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint Manufacturers


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not much good at this stuff, as the state of my car could tell you, but please remember that rubbing compound only "hides" scratches by removing the surrounding paint down to the same level as the depth of the scratch. Try it as a last resort, especially on a new vehicle.

First, try wax/polish, which may fill the scratches.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 15:52   #294
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thanks Thad

Another brainwave - there is another compound called COM PAINT whose ads I have seen in the car magazines. Apparently they ve got all the shades of all the various paints of these slightly higher end cars.
Why not check them out?
Check this link Aeroaids Corporation - Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint Manufacturers
I have tried the Com-paint and would not recommend it as it gives a very dull appearance and does not match the paint well and is clearly visible.
The best bet for small scratches is the 3M Rubbing compound and a good buffing (but restricted only to the damaged area and surrounding). This will hide most small scratches. But if it is cut to the white primer level, may be a good idea to get a small touch up done at the service station with the original paint finish - most Skoda workshops will do this very small scratch fill for free when you go for service / checkup.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th January 2012 at 15:55.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 17:24   #295
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 873
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

As suggested please try the 3M compound first, if it still visible then you will need to get this done via professional, the touch up done by any shop still need lot of work, they need to do the touch up by fixing the clearcoat directly in few drop of paint, this will allow them to rub the surface and make it smooth, if they just do a brush touch up and don't apply the clear coat after rubbing that surface you will have the touchup are visible like what you have right now! I generally do all this my self, you need to have the paint(it need to be prepared based on the formula) thinner, hardener and clear coat, 3M compound, rubbing compound and also sand papers, but better to get done from professional, just let them know that they need to use the clear coat and then rub the excess level the surface, once the clear coat is rubbed use the 3M compound to get the shine back!
Most importantly see if you can leave with the scratch, most of the the time touch up are not good enough and they look worst that the scratch!

-Pramod
PS: I got my collinite 845 wax, just waiting for the right opportunity to get that applied, have heard its the most durable wax available and generally stay good for 4-5 month after application

Last edited by pramods : 4th January 2012 at 17:26.
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 20:12   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 30
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
The story is same here no mudflap and floormats, spare parts have not received the catalog yet, so they cann,t order anything. Expect things to settle by Jan 2011.
I have rear doors sneaking problem, I seareched Internet and it seems a common problem across world on newer Yeti, I went to service center and they lubricated the rubber beeding that reduced the noise as of now. Have you faced this problem?

-Pramod
Hi Pramod,
What is the status of rear door sound in case of your yeti ? Did the squeaking noise return ever after?

My friend in Noida is bugged by squeaking sound coming from rear door of his 6 months old Yeti. As I understand, someone in team-bhp used 3M window channel treatment spray to permanently remove this noise from rubber seals of Yeti

I was wondering if you have a second opinion to substantiate this solution.

-Pankaj
neosmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 21:51   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmart

Hi Pramod,
What is the status of rear door sound in case of your yeti ? Did the squeaking noise return ever after?

My friend in Noida is bugged by squeaking sound coming from rear door of his 6 months old Yeti. As I understand, someone in team-bhp used 3M window channel treatment spray to permanently remove this noise from rubber seals of Yeti

I was wondering if you have a second opinion to substantiate this solution.

-Pankaj
Hi Neo,

I was the one who used the 3M window channel treatment in my Yeti. However this lasts only 2-3 months and the squeak returned. Then I used Teflon lube, which I got from a local Firefox bicycle store and applied liberally in the door rubber seal. It is a dry lubricant and forms a solid lubricating layer. Its been 6 months now and the squeaks have not returned.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 22:34   #298
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 873
Thanked: 397 Times
Default

That's a good solution need to find from where I can get that, till date I relied on the break oil but it just last few weeks!

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 11:20   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 30
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

I will see how Teflon lube helps; Thanks.

Pramod, brake oil is highly corrosive for painted surfaces around. Good that brake oil is the temporary solution
neosmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:54   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
That's a good solution need to find from where I can get that, till date I relied on the break oil but it just last few weeks!

-Pramod
Hi Pramod,

Firefox also have a store in Nagpur, where you should be able to get the Teflon Dry lube from. This will help you cure the squeaks from the doors permanently.
You can get the address of the store from the link:
Firefox Bike Stations India

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and Initial Ownership Experience samyboy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 60 17th November 2016 21:07
Skoda Yeti - Initial Ownership Review contessa Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 64 1st September 2012 10:23
The Yeti® writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb) Sam Kapasi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 406 6th July 2012 20:32
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:17.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks