Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th April 2013, 13:58   #616
BHPian

Everything seems to be ok now, yesterday at 43 c temp the cooling was ok, no complain everything seems normal, if the sun was directly on face the cooling was higher and in shadow it was ok, not sure why it was not cooling that day, will keep an eye on this in coming days and if it happens again will take it to service center.

Last edited by pramods : 14th April 2013 at 14:00.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 18:19   #617
Senior - BHPian

I ve been driving about in 38 degree heat generally in BLR these last few days. My Yeti's AC is working perfectly well. No grumbles about cooling efficiency etc.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:46   #618
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Everything seems to be ok now, yesterday at 43 c temp the cooling was ok, no complain everything seems normal, if the sun was directly on face the cooling was higher and in shadow it was ok, not sure why it was not cooling that day, will keep an eye on this in coming days and if it happens again will take it to service center.
I did a DIY cleaning pollen filter today. The process is same as http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2991100

I feel that airflow is better now and also te cooling. One thing though, when i was ideling at the toll gate, the AC was not effective as it is while running.

Also when i pulled the filter out, i noticed that it's too dirty, Mine has run almost 25k kms, and in my 15 k service i had speciafially asked them to change it coz of foul smell i was getting. Now it seems they just cleaned at that time and didn't replace it. (i don't have the bill)
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 21:22   #619
BHPian

Thanks for the info, I also have service manual but these images help better than the drawn images in manual. I did got the pollen filter changed at last service and have just driven 7k after that service so hoping nothing much might have gone wrong that side who knows last time I saw lots of leafs and other things stuck at filter !

-Pramod
Old 29th April 2013, 15:45   #620
BHPian

I again faced problems with Ac today. One thing whenever i was in bumper traffic, it was not cooling well. Only at decent speed and open roads it was working. Gave a call to SA and he asked me to bring the car on thursday and said that i will have to leave the car as it may be compressor problem (going by the symptoms) which will need to be replaced. Lets see what's in store for me this time.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:13   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I again faced problems with Ac today.
Lets see what's in store for me this time.
I drove the car yesterday and outside temp was 45 and the auto setting at 24 c and it was still good enough for all of us, looks like for me it was one off incident , may be it was some setting( my son generally plays with dual zone settings) next day I reset the auto mode and air recirculation everything appears to be normal as of now, the temperature here in Nagpur is rising day by day today it was 46 or so and yesterday in Chandrapur it was almost 48. I hope I don't face any problem , do keep us updated on progress, I have felt that the AC in yeti is generally less effective when the car is not moving but it should cool.

-Pramod
Old 30th April 2013, 09:34   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove the car yesterday and outside temp was 45 and the auto setting at 24 c and it was still good enough for all of us, looks like for me it was one off incident , may be it was some setting( my son generally plays with dual zone settings) next day I reset the auto mode and air recirculation everything appears to be normal as of now, the temperature here in Nagpur is rising day by day today it was 46 or so and yesterday in Chandrapur it was almost 48. I hope I don't face any problem , do keep us updated on progress, I have felt that the AC in yeti is generally less effective when the car is not moving but it should cool.

-Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I again faced problems with Ac today. One thing whenever i was in bumper traffic, it was not cooling well. Only at decent speed and open roads it was working. Gave a call to SA and he asked me to bring the car on thursday and said that i will have to leave the car as it may be compressor problem (going by the symptoms) which will need to be replaced. Lets see what's in store for me this time.
Hi Pramod, Abbey

There is a recent software update which is specific to erratic AC behaviour which they are applying for the Yeti. I am going to get mine done tomorrow -Do check with your local workshop for this software update. As far I know, it is an Engine ECU update and also a Climatic/ Climatronic controller update.

This specific issue of the cooling being less is due to the condenser fan not running at a fast speed when the car is idling, hence the cooling efficiency drops. What I think they have done now is to increase the fan speed to run higher when the car is idling, so that the cooling is maintained even when the car is going slowly (this is how it is in my Laura which is a Mar 2012 variant).

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 30th April 2013 at 09:37.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 10:52   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Pramod, Abbey

There is a recent software update which is specific to erratic AC behaviour which they are applying for the Yeti. I am going to get mine done tomorrow -
Regards,
Behemoth
Please update once you are done along with details(version and other info), generally I have to tell them that there is an update and possibly versions to to get this going, else the service guys are quite ignorant about all this! I will wait for the details to emerge and then will go with details and get that done.

-Pramod
Old 30th April 2013, 12:54   #624
BHPian

Same is the case with me. I have to tell them that there latest software update but without any info about the version its hard to convince them. (And even after convincing them not sure if they ever apply the latest update )
Old 30th April 2013, 12:58   #625
BHPian

Quote:

Please update once you are done along with details(version and other info), generally I have to tell them that there is an update and possibly versions to to get this going, else the service guys are quite ignorant about all this! I will wait for the details to emerge and then will go with details and get that done.

-Pramod
I called up the service manager here. He says that there is a technical update which requires the Ac compressor to be replaced. I have given him my chassis number . He said he will call back if my Yeti needs it. I think I will call him up myself later.
Carcrazy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 14:06   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
I called up the service manager here. He says that there is a technical update which requires the Ac compressor to be replaced. I have given him my chassis number . He said he will call back if my Yeti needs it. I think I will call him up myself later.
Yes, in some case it does require AC compressor replacement too. In My Yeti the compressor has also been replaced (just 2 weeks back). I think it is Jan 2010-Mar 2011 batch Yetis which are affected. These have the typical N80 variable refrigerant flow valve, which tends to stick and also requires a min pressure of 21 PSI to open. They are changing this to a new version compressor, which uses a different valve design and also there is no minimum pressure requirement to open (so cooling starts immediately after switchon).

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 15:48   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, in some case it does require AC compressor replacement too. In My Yeti the compressor has also been replaced (just 2 weeks back). I think it is Jan 2010-Mar 2011 batch Yetis which are affected. These have the typical N80 variable refrigerant flow valve, which tends to stick and also requires a min pressure of 21 PSI to open. They are changing this to a new version compressor, which uses a different valve design and also there is no minimum pressure requirement to open (so cooling starts immediately after switchon).

Regards,
Behemoth
Did you get software update done? Please share the version number. I am going tomorrow for AC checkup. Also do you know how to reset the AC
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:35   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
I had earlier posted about my failed EGR Cooler on Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures thread. I am now moving here as this thread seems more appropriate.
Today I took the car to Gurudev Motors and they told me that the Turbo Solenoid has a problem! (VAS APPLIED AND FOUND TURBO SOLENOID BOOT CONTROL VALVE NEEDS REPLACEMENT - is the official diagnosis) I spoke to one Mukul Borkar from Skoda Auto and he said that every care will be taken to attend to my car. Since I am leaving abroad in the next couple of days I did not want to leave the car there. I go back on April 29th.
An update concerning the Turbo Solenoid. I was abroad and could take the Yeti to the Service Centre only this Monday. Since my EGR cooler was repaired, I had noticed a difference in the engine noise, when I stepped outside but was not sure. At the service centre I listened to another Yeti idling and the difference was prominent and the Seervice Engineer said he would check it. He later came back to say that they were replacing the Solenoid but would charge me labour of 2000 plus. As regards the noise, he claimed it was from the flywheel and that they have written to Skoda.....

I am writing to all concerned in Skoda India... If any of the more technically minded in the forum can guide me, I would be very grateful...

Forgive the long post but I cut and paste my latest email to Skoda, below:

Date: 1 May 2013 15:18
Subject: Re: FW: Miserable Skoda Customer Experiences in India-MD TN 01 AM 5339
To: "Borkar, Mukul (Skoda Auto India)"
Cc: "More, Apeksha (Skoda Auto India)" , "SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care" , "" , sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in, Winfried.Vahland@skoda-auto.cz, info@skoda-info.cz

Dear Mr Borkar

I do hope so! I really hope you can ensure quality workmanship.

I called the Service Engineer a while ago for an update. The conversation did not inspire much confidence. He said I have to pay up INR 2000 plus as labour charges for the repair, apart from whatever is wrong with the flywheel! When I said how I could be expected to pay for poor repair on the part of Skoda last time, he said that if the repair was poor the warning lamps should have come one when I took delivery and not later. When I asked him how it was that now there is no warning lamp flashing but Skoda says that some solenoid has to be replaced, he had no answer.

I am absolutely convinced that it was poor workmanship that is leading to more problems. last time they have returned the car in a hurry (after keeping it for 8 days!) without properly checking. Gurudev is exploiting a monopoly situation to the hilt and ripping off customers.

When I had the Elantra, which cost me half as much as this car, for every service Hyundai used to give me a loaner car, even for a day. Today you keep my car with you for days on end and do not even offer such courtesy! I am dependent on cabs and am spending a fortune on them.

Since you have been responsive, I am hoping for some proper outcome. I am told by Gurudev Motors that they are awaiting response from you and that since today is May Day, they will only let me know tomorrow!!! If Gurudev Motors cannot do the work properly, please let me know. I shall look for alternatives - if need be drive to Bangalore or else try an independent garage, who may offer me succour without these hassles.

The saddest part is, nay the irony is, my Service Engineer's ringtone is Skoda music and it says "Skoda - obsessed with quality since 1895". Is my experience what Skoda means by OBSESSION with quality?!!

Regards

Suresh
Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:33   #629

An update! Gurudev Motors has come with an estimate (attached) of Rs 67000 to replace Flywheel and Clutch plates. No mention of Turbo Solenoid at all!!! In so many years of motoring and owning cars, I have never had to replace a flywheel.

Can anyone help/guide me how to proceed? An urgent response guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, should I look at alternate, third party garages? If so, can anyone guide me to such in Madras, or even Bangalore?

Regards

Suresh
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)-5339.jpg  

Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:23   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
An update! Gurudev Motors has come with an estimate (attached) of Rs 67000 to replace Flywheel and Clutch plates. No mention of Turbo Solenoid at all!!! In so many years of motoring and owning cars, I have never had to replace a flywheel.

Can anyone help/guide me how to proceed? An urgent response guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, should I look at alternate, third party garages? If so, can anyone guide me to such in Madras, or even Bangalore?

Regards

Suresh

Is your yeti out of warranty? if yes, then you can look into some third party garages. (but be careful that these cars are complicated bit). I am not sure if EGR repair resulting in flywheel and clutch plate changes can linked and in most cases skoda will probably term it as wear and tear parts. By the way how old is your car