Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2013, 13:58   #676
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
You mentioned the error to be "Coolant level low" and you added water? Arent you supposed to top it up with the correct coolant?
Correct, It should ideally be topped with the coolant but the service manual states you can add 100 ml of drinking water to reach the nearest ASC. I had this confirmed with the SA as well. Anyways I have bought a bottle of coolant and filled it up to the max mark, and keep monitoring the coolant levels on a daily basis. The car has gone in to the ASC today, but haven't heard back yet on what's wrong. Just hoping its nothing major.

Last edited by bblost : 28th August 2013 at 14:06.
mailtosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 14:41   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
The car has gone in to the ASC today, but haven't heard back yet on what's wrong. Just hoping its nothing major.
Please keep following, you dont want your car to be the test/learning subject do you?
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 14:58   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Please keep following, you dont want your car to be the test/learning subject do you?
Of course not. The car is now sitting in the service yard, ASC has sent the diagnostic's to Skoda and Skoda needs the coolant pump pressure level info which ASC is doing now. Once that is provided to Skoda, they will probably go ahead and replace the coolant pump. This is the first manufacturing fault I have with my car that was detected in 1.5 yrs of ownership, hoping that's the last :-(
Old 30th August 2013, 20:24   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Of course not. The car is now sitting in the service yard, ASC has sent the diagnostic's to Skoda and Skoda needs the coolant pump pressure level info which ASC is doing now. Once that is provided to Skoda, they will probably go ahead and replace the coolant pump. This is the first manufacturing fault I have with my car that was detected in 1.5 yrs of ownership, hoping that's the last :-(
Update -- The car is with the ASC for the past 3 days and they have not been able to identify where the coolant is leaking from. I don't know how long will I be without the car now, at the mercy of skoda to investigate this soon to resolve my woes...
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:20   #680
BHPian

Quote:
I believe there is a new control valve that's being replaced free of cost. This was done for my Laura and the climate control performance is way ahead. You could check with your dealer on this. Clogging of the pollen filter can also result in this.
Tafe acceess in kudlu gate bangalore said that the ac compressor has gone bust. Needs replacement under warranty. Since the part is not available, I have to wait for more than two weeks for the replacement to arrive. Hence I opted to pick up the vehicle and drop it back when the part arrived. I hate it when they have to remove the original fitments.

I have two questions.

1. Are the compressors of skoda quite defective? The service advisor said that there are at least 40 cars in the garage with the same problem. Has anyone had to replace the compressor more than once during their ownership?

2. Seeing two replacements and a towing event in the span of 3-4 months I am becoming wary of the skoda. Do you know if I can purchase the extended warranty at this time? My warranty expires in February 2014.
ajeeshonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 10:55   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Update -- The car is with the ASC for the past 3 days and they have not been able to identify where the coolant is leaking from. I don't know how long will I be without the car now, at the mercy of skoda to investigate this soon to resolve my woes...
The car is with the ASC now from 28th Aug. They ran multiple tests at the ASC but could not isolate the actual cause of the coolant dropping to the low levels. There were no leaks found nor was it confirmed where the coolant is getting consumed. Finally skoda technical team started looking at the car on 5th Sept and took the car out for a 400-450 kms spin on the 6th, still nothing found. No work over the weekend as Skoda technical team were on leave thereafter. Got an update in the morning today that the skoda technical team has advised the ASC to remove the cylinder head (my worst fears). They will update me if that's causing the issue, will update you all later but my heart is my mouth as of now....
Old 10th September 2013, 16:53   #682
BHPian

Got to read this news today. Hope things get better very soon.. http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ndia/1166800/1
ajeeshonly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 09:55   #683
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at T-BHP after many months of waiting to become a T-BHP member, so WOOT!

I would like to give my thanks to authors of some very helpful posts with respect to the Yeti. I'm about to become a proud part owner of a new Skoda Yeti (Ambition 4X2) and have been chomping at the bit for the last 1 month. Having read posts from Pramod, Shankar, Behemoth and Sunilrj on the forum, I have a few questions and was hoping there would be answers to some of these:
a. I would like to change the HU in the Ambition from Swing to Bolero - the dealer is non-committal and I wanted to check from someone who may have done this whether this upgrade would in any way hamper any of the features such as Reverse Parking Sensors or such?
b. I would like to get the BT module installed - I understand that it can be sourced from Europe / eBay etc., but can the guys at the Bangalore A.S.S. install these?
c. Should I plonk cash for the VGA-Com Hex cable from Ross Tech? It appears that this would be money well spent, given that various safety features / functions can be activated through the cable and interface, but I'm not sure if someone's done these 'upgrades' on a 4x2 Yeti yet?
d. Would it make sense to ditch the OEM HU completely and go for an aftermarket integrated BT HU such as from Blaupunkt / Kenwood / Alpine? Will this cause issues with the manufacturer's warranty at all?

I can't wait for my own little Bigfoot to arrive, I just wish I could afford the 4x4 Elegance, but Bangalore OTR prices just do not make it easier for someone like me to go all out. Hence, aftermarket upgrades will have to do!
AnkurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 11:06   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at T-BHP after many months of waiting to become a T-BHP member, so WOOT!

I would like to give my thanks to authors of some very helpful posts with respect to the Yeti. I'm about to become a proud part owner of a new Skoda Yeti (Ambition 4X2) and have been chomping at the bit for the last 1 month. Having read posts from Pramod, Shankar, Behemoth and Sunilrj on the forum, I have a few questions and was hoping there would be answers to some of these:
a. I would like to change the HU in the Ambition from Swing to Bolero - the dealer is non-committal and I wanted to check from someone who may have done this whether this upgrade would in any way hamper any of the features such as Reverse Parking Sensors or such?
b. I would like to get the BT module installed - I understand that it can be sourced from Europe / eBay etc., but can the guys at the Bangalore A.S.S. install these?
c. Should I plonk cash for the VGA-Com Hex cable from Ross Tech? It appears that this would be money well spent, given that various safety features / functions can be activated through the cable and interface, but I'm not sure if someone's done these 'upgrades' on a 4x2 Yeti yet?
d. Would it make sense to ditch the OEM HU completely and go for an aftermarket integrated BT HU such as from Blaupunkt / Kenwood / Alpine? Will this cause issues with the manufacturer's warranty at all?

I can't wait for my own little Bigfoot to arrive, I just wish I could afford the 4x4 Elegance, but Bangalore OTR prices just do not make it easier for someone like me to go all out. Hence, aftermarket upgrades will have to do!
Hi Ankur and Welcome to TBHP!
Happy to know that you are joining the Yeti club and I wish you many years of happy motoring with your little beast.

On your queries:
a) With the Bolero unit, your reverse parking sensors should work but other features like AC unit control, which are also connected to the Climatronic AC in the Elegance model, will not work. You will still have to control the AC manually with the rotary knobs.
Last time I checked, the SKoda fellows had quoted 75K + for the Bolero unit, which is just too high!
b) On the BT module, there is a good option from Denison, which integrates with Bolero (not with Swing unit) which ITNerd and Abbey4U have installed. They have shared the details on their threads. However this costs also another 18K IIRC, on top of the cost of the Bolero.
c) VCDS cable from Ross-Tech is worth it, but quite expensive now that Dollar rates have gone through the roof. When I had bought mine 2 1/2 years back, it had cost me only 20K landed, now I believe it would cost close to 33K. What I can suggest is that you can try to find some local TBHPians who would be happy to share it with you there!
d) I feel upgrading the HU to a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 maybe a good option as you will get all the features you want, including BT. Dkaile had shared details of the system on his thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...estiny-28.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny)
It will however be good if you ask the Skoda guys to fit the system for you so that they can't complain about wrong fitment/ warranty being void.

What I will recommend also for you to get done, straight out of the showroom is to get the stock tyres replaced with either some good Pirellis (stock size) or Yokos. You will get good buyback on the stock tyres and also make a huge difference on the ride quality.

All the best, and do update us on your Yeti soon.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 01:04   #685
BHPian

Thanks for the info Behemoth.

This is what I intend to do over the next month or so:
A. Get a Bolero unit installed. I understand that it's PnP so thinking it should an easy DIY. Available from £150 (INR 15-16k) onwards.
B. Order the BT kit (c. 22k) and have that installed as well. The only glitch is, I'm not sure if that is indeed a DIY for someone like me. Not very good with electricals and stuff.
C. Ordered the Hex kit already today. Should arrive soon. Hopefully, customs will be kind.
D. Thinking of keeping this out. This unit looks really good, but not really sure if Skoda (TAFE / Vinayak) would be willing to take a punt for me. And don't know if aftermarket dealers in B'lore would do a job to the warranty retaining satisfaction of Skoda. Happy to hear if there is someone here who could share their insights on this.?

Got the VIN from the dealer today, now it's a long three / four day wait before I can bring him home! Cheers!
Old 13th September 2013, 18:35   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the info Behemoth.

This is what I intend to do over the next month or so:
A. Get a Bolero unit installed. I understand that it's PnP so thinking it should an easy DIY. Available from £150 (INR 15-16k) onwards.
B. Order the BT kit (c. 22k) and have that installed as well. The only glitch is, I'm not sure if that is indeed a DIY for someone like me. Not very good with electricals and stuff.
C. Ordered the Hex kit already today. Should arrive soon. Hopefully, customs will be kind.
D. Thinking of keeping this out. This unit looks really good, but not really sure if Skoda (TAFE / Vinayak) would be willing to take a punt for me. And don't know if aftermarket dealers in B'lore would do a job to the warranty retaining satisfaction of Skoda. Happy to hear if there is someone here who could share their insights on this.?

Got the VIN from the dealer today, now it's a long three / four day wait before I can bring him home! Cheers!
Get the Blaupunkt. Its the best solution for what you want. Its got the VAG type connector at the back, so any installer can do it for you. Hell I'm sure you can even get Skoda to install it for you.

Why spend so much on buying a Bolero and then a Bluetooth kit when the Blaupunkt will give you all that, and navigation at a cheaper price?
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 19:44   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get the Blaupunkt. Its the best solution for what you want. Its got the VAG type connector at the back, so any installer can do it for you. Hell I'm sure you can even get Skoda to install it for you.

Why spend so much on buying a Bolero and then a Bluetooth kit when the Blaupunkt will give you all that, and navigation at a cheaper price?
Akshay, I think you and Behemoth are right. In addition to spending money on a lower end HU (Bolero) I'd also be topping it with money on a separate BT module. Not to mention the hassles of importing, customs duty and finding someone to install these components without voiding guarantee.

Two more questions,
- I'm an ignoramus when it comes to these issues, so could someone confirm if the Blaupunkt Philly 835 would not need the BT module separately?
- Anyone from B'lore know a good aftermarket store I could source this unit at an acceptable price point?

Separately, Behemoth - regarding your suggestions with the OEM tyres, is that applicable to any manufacturer or a specific brand? I could request the dealer to give me a set of Pirellis if that works.

Cheers
Ankur
Old 13th September 2013, 20:37   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, I think you and Behemoth are right. In addition to spending money on a lower end HU (Bolero) I'd also be topping it with money on a separate BT module. Not to mention the hassles of importing, customs duty and finding someone to install these components without voiding guarantee.

Two more questions,
- I'm an ignoramus when it comes to these issues, so could someone confirm if the Blaupunkt Philly 835 would not need the BT module separately?
- Anyone from B'lore know a good aftermarket store I could source this unit at an acceptable price point?

Separately, Behemoth - regarding your suggestions with the OEM tyres, is that applicable to any manufacturer or a specific brand? I could request the dealer to give me a set of Pirellis if that works.

Cheers
Ankur
The Blaupunkt has the BT built in, as well as the mic. So no issues there. I'm not sure where you can get it in Bangalore, maybe PM'ing some members from Bangalore will be a better idea. Like Sunilrj or Shankar.Balan. They also know Skoda workshop people and can possibly help you get it installed there itself, since it is just a plug and play item.

As for the tyres. You will get Goodyears with the car itself. Don't ask for any other tyres from the dealer. Speak to Nikhilb2008, see what tyres he can offer you in the Yetis size and then switch. Believe me one of the biggest mistakes you can make is sticking with the crappy stock Goodyear tyres. I can't wait to switch mine.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 20:42   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Blaupunkt has the BT built in, as well as the mic. So no issues there. I'm not sure where you can get it in Bangalore, maybe PM'ing some members from Bangalore will be a better idea. Like Sunilrj or Shankar.Balan. They also know Skoda workshop people and can possibly help you get it installed there itself, since it is just a plug and play item.

As for the tyres. You will get Goodyears with the car itself. Don't ask for any other tyres from the dealer. Speak to Nikhilb2008, see what tyres he can offer you in the Yetis size and then switch. Believe me one of the biggest mistakes you can make is sticking with the crappy stock Goodyear tyres. I can't wait to switch mine.
Interesting opinion on the GYs! I thought that Pirellis was an option with the Yeti as well, guess not.

Will have to get my post count up (w/o spamming, of course) before I can PM a member here, but thanks for the references mate

The more I think about it Blaupunkt seems like a solid option, so I guess thats the direction the HU is heading in.

Now all thats left is getting my hands on the VGA-Com cable and get the features enabled myself. Cannot wait!
Old 14th September 2013, 09:01   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeeshonly View Post
Tafe acceess in kudlu gate bangalore said that the ac compressor has gone bust. Needs replacement under warranty. Since the part is not available, I have to wait for more than two weeks for the replacement to arrive. Hence I opted to pick up the vehicle and drop it back when the part arrived. I hate it when they have to remove the original fitments.
Have dropped the vehicle back for compressor replacement. I just hope/pray that they do a decent job.

Does anyone have answer to my previous two questions:

1. Are the compressors of skoda very defective? The service advisor said that there are at least 40 cars in the garage with the same problem. Has anyone had to replace the compressor more than once during their ownership?

2. Seeing two replacements and a towing event in the span of 3-4 months I am becoming wary of the skoda. Do you know if I can purchase the extended warranty at this time? My warranty expires in February 2014.
ajeeshonly is offline   Reply With Quote