Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th July 2011, 17:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guderian,

Your Fortuner thread is also amazing and I must compliment your writing skills. You are a master story writer of the leagues of Tom Clancy!

Anyway, coming back to the topic, I also have a Yeti and am based in Gurgaon. The FE that I get is 16.6 kmpl with a mix of city and higway (50:50). The Yeti rewards light footed driving with very good mileage (I get as high as 21kmpl if I drive very lightly), but with so much power on tap and a light vehicle, the power is too tempting, and we end up sacrificing a little on the economy to feel the rush! I have also done a few 0-100 runs on the Yeti and I was able to get a best time of 10.2 secs, which is a little slower than the companies claim of 9.9 sec.

Pramods: Apologies for barging into your thread..!
Hi Behemoth,
Many thanks for the compliments. Hope to see you sometime on 'that' thread with your experiences !

Thanks for the information on the FEs. That is indeed reassuring. Have a friend of mine who asked me these Q's and I had mentioned these figures. But when I read Pramod's figures was a little crestfallen and wanted to pick up the phone and clarify to my friend the 'real owners' figures - by then the clarifications came in from you and Pramod and saved me the blushes !

Thanks again Pramod and Behemoth.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 09:34   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod,
If there is any info on the ECU firmware update process / idling speed adjustment in the Skoda workshop manuals, can you please share the relevant info / pages with me (you can PM me ..).

Thanks a ton!
ECU firmware update is online process that I am sure most of the Skoda Service in India will not do because they are mostly not online with Skoda system, I don't see any ECU update process mentioned is directly related to VAG tool that is connected and based on the firmware version VAG tool will check the system online for update and recommendation.

If have not felt the RPM inconsistency yet, but will keep an eye on what you have mention and will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
pramod.

My usage is typically mostly in the city commute but with frequent forays to the hilly regions of south India atleast once every 2-3 months. Plus some other bits and pieces of long distance around South India - plains roads.
Do share some thoughts on whether Im thinking right or not!
Shankar,
I see you point, Yeti fulfills your current requirement in all respect, you will need to remember its a car and don't have the road presence of Bolero/Scorpio.
The available space is sufficient and in case of extra requirement any or all of the 3 seat can be folded and hooked, even can be removed, while looking at the space please remove the "cover" and then judge the space, the cover gives the feeling that the space is too less. Have a good look at the vehicle and even try to load your golf kit in and see if the space is a constraint for you!

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 28th July 2011 at 09:46.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 10:37   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post

The available space is sufficient and in case of extra requirement any or all of the 3 seat can be folded and hooked, even can be removed, while looking at the space please remove the "cover" and then judge the space, the cover gives the feeling that the space is too less.
-Pramod
I assume by cover you mean the parcel tray, Pramod.
Between the high boot floor (due to the sizable spare) and the parcel shelf, the boot is defined in quite a constrained manner. Not too sure if removing the parcel tray and stacking things sky high helps from a safety perspective, though.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 10:43   #109
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar,

To give you an idea of the boot space in the Yeti, the space in Liters in various configurations is:
1) rear seats fully reclined and pushed backwards, and parcel shelf in place: 320 L
2) Rear seats partially reclined and pushed forward, with parcel shelf: 410 L
3) Rear seats partially reclined and pushed forward, without parcel shelf: 690 L (rear view is blocked, but rear parking sensors will serve their purpose).
4) Rear seats folded down (all) : 1200 L +
5) Rear seats removed:1600 L+

(these are based on my measurements in different configurations).
As long as you are family of four, you will find the space sufficient, but if you are family of 5, you will have some space constraints.
(legroom for rear middle passenger is a constraint).

To circumvent the luggage space issue, I have also bought a roof rack (fortuner style) and load the luggage onto that when going on long trips!
One of the good things about the Yeti is that I am able to take my large Labrador in the boot. Because the boot and seats are versatile, I am also able to easily take stuff in it that would have been impossible in any other car (apart from van maybe!).
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 14:47   #110
BHPian

@crackingride Yes I mean parcel tray, @Behemoth woh! you have done a lots of math on the space and the figure will start making sens to other now, I am not sure why but if you look at the space for the first time does look small till you start loading and making arrangement.
-Pramod
Old 29th July 2011, 07:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

thanks man
i tried plugging my golf bag and trolley into it. No such luck. it simply wont fit laterally like it does in my scorp. hence if transporting my golf stuff, at least one seat has to be fully down. the rest of the space is quite small for all our luggage.
ref the furrybeasts - given its size and headroom I can possibly transport only one of my 3 monsters at a given time if required.but this is quite rare nowadays as my vet is kind enough to come home and treat them when needed.
having said this, it is only my wife and myself. no babies planned. I do tend to travel heavy when on holiday - and in case we go as a family with my folks and all our luggage the Yeti will be a challenge.
For the most part it is just us, so I guess I can get away with it. But the question is, do I want to "manage" with a smaller SUV having been used to a monster lorry like the Scorp?
I am not mad keen on "road presence" and all that - I want space, functionality, reliability, comfort, safety, diesel, 4WD, and high quality overall. But at 21 lacs OTR BLR it is a high price to pay too.
Am in the middle of a quandary inside a puzzle inside a riddle inside a conundrum with ref to this. Thats why Im waiting for the Duster and at the same time evaluating used Tucsons and X Trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I know Pramod with answer this, but let me add my perspective as a prospective like you.

I share most characteristics you have laid out: the 2 adults, a furry friend or two, long drives (just back from a 1400 round trip to Goa), the need for kit and the inclination towards the Yeti.

I have test driven this Yeti in Bangalore and in Goa; you really begin to appreciate the power and tractability in a place like Goa (or Kerala, the Nilgiris and other vertically challenging locations), with its winding roads and lack of a flat topography. In Bangalore, the diminutive size makes you appreciate its "hatchback" nature in terms of point and squirt, even though 4x4 is a rarely used waste of money!

I also spent time looking at the rear seats from a flexibility perspective, and the boot with a critical eye.

If I am to transport my large German breed, he will take up the entire seat. Flipping or folding will not free up space, and if you go that route, that leaves the seats unusable unless you remove them. Which leads to a different sort of problem: what do you do at your destination when you have left your seats behind!?

If you are only 2 + a golf club set, you can flip one seat forward and place the clubs along the axis. If you need to transport a dog, your clubs and your missus, things get tight aft of the for'ard cabin.

And if you have a baby on the way, with the need for a child seat, then you have a quandary. Which is where I am at with respect to committing to this particular Skoda!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th July 2011 at 07:40.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 09:35   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar,
One thing is for sure, you will not have space comparable to the Scorpio in any other car/ SUV and definitely not the Yeti. The space in Scorpio is quite large and I am sure even larger than other SUVs like Fortuner and Safari.
You can also assess the Ford Endeavour, as it has loads of space and would meet a lot of your criteria (apart from the size being large). It is also a very powerful vehicle and the only reason that I went for Yeti instead of Endeavour is that it is just too large and impractical for urban cities like Gurgaon.

Regards,
Sameer
Old 29th July 2011, 19:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I am not mad keen on "road presence" and all that - I want space, functionality, reliability, comfort, safety, diesel, 4WD, and high quality overall.

But at 21 lacs OTR BLR it is a high price to pay too.

Am in the middle of a quandary inside a puzzle inside a riddle inside a conundrum with ref to this. Thats why Im waiting for the Duster and at the same time evaluating used Tucsons and X Trails.
... Well if you go to this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ctures-21.html (Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures)

... GTO has just reported that there might be substantial discount available on Yeti. The figure is about Rs 3 lakh. That would immediately make it a damn good VFM. Just like a 1.75 lakh discount on Honda Jazz.

Had Skoda launched Yeti on this price point earlier it would have been moving off the shop-floor rather quick, not withstanding their A.S.S. stories.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 08:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

the endy is impracticable as a daily drive in Bangalore on account of its monster size
the Scorpio does have a lot going for it but for me, chronic user fatigue has set in rather rapidly in 3.4 years of buying it. It is still a very good vehicle perfect for my usage patterns but it is very uncomfy now and has none of the essential safety kit which I want.
I want a safe SUV which is not too expensive because I really use the SUV's I own the way that they are supposed to be used. After all they are not Exec Sedans and hence dont need the molly coddling approach!
This 3 lac discount seems a good thing on the yeti but Im not sure if these baboons in the bangalore dealerships are even giving such sops to consumers. most of the guys there dont seem to know whether they are coming or going most of the time. hence the wariness on my part.
the 4x2 yeti wont do for me - I dont want another 4x2 definitely. If I buy the Yeti it will be the top end one with all bells and whistles. Else I will simply seek out an used Tucson or X Trail or simply wait another year for the Duster to pop up!

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
One thing is for sure, you will not have space comparable to the Scorpio in any other car/ SUV and definitely not the Yeti. The space in Scorpio is quite large and I am sure even larger than other SUVs like Fortuner and Safari.
You can also assess the Ford Endeavour, as it has loads of space and would meet a lot of your criteria (apart from the size being large). It is also a very powerful vehicle and the only reason that I went for Yeti instead of Endeavour is that it is just too large and impractical for urban cities like Gurgaon.

Regards,
Sameer
Old 30th July 2011, 09:59   #115
BHPian

Shankar, why don't you wait for mahindra new car, the service centre guys already got training on that and the launch is very near, the initial feeling is it completely loaded with all safety feature and it's going to be competing with all international brands! Will be available in both 4x4 and 4x2 model, no harm in waiting for few more months to have a look at one more vehicle, the above information is based on what I am told by these guys.
Yeti is very practical vehicle for city and all other outdoor activities, definitely it's not a replacement of any hardcore 4x4 with ladder chassis.
-Pramod
Old 30th July 2011, 23:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shankar, why don't you wait for mahindra new car, the service centre guys already got training on that and the launch is very near, the initial feeling is it completely loaded with all safety feature and it's going to be competing with all international brands! Will be available in both 4x4 and 4x2 model
Ok, let me spill the beans here, slightly though. The M&M W201, when initially launched, will be launched only in FWD mode and is a softroader, much like the Aria. The AWD(not 4wd with a low range transfer case) might be launched if there is enough demand. There are no plans for a real 4wd with low ratio at the moment.

Also, I would not recommend buying it as soon as it is launched after seeing the number of retrofits and issues the MHawks have had in them.

And, by the way, it looks hideous from the front if you ask me.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 14:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

i was one of the privileged lot that went and checked out the new M&M W201 personally around 3 months ago.
that vehicle is very good no doubt. But it is quite large -almost Captiva like in proportions and size and innards. the take is that there will be 3 versions 2 in 2WD Front Wheel Drive and the top end one with AWD etc.
My concern is the quality of fit finish and initial niggles that are bound to exist in this vehicle hence I wont be one of the early movers on this. Plus the pricing indication is 13-14-15-16 approx ex showroom depending on the variant. To me, paying close to 18-19 on road bangalore for the top end variant just doesnt make sense. I would hesitate to pay this much for an M&M just like I would, in the case of the Aria.
Hence the Yeti which is absolutely lovely in all respects may just fit my need. Im no longer into hard core off road stuff but I want an active vehicle which I can taken practically anywhere on road, in city, on highways and a bit of dirt track stuff.
thats why i want a compact 4WD Diesel SUV.
To me there are only a few choices in terms of functionality, quality, safety, 4WD, diesel power, fit, finish, ergonomics, space and price.
As of now it is as follows:
1. top end Scorpio - am sick of the Scorpio so wont buy one more
2. Used Tucson - too few and far between in terms of pedigreed vehicles - need to buy from a friend for which I may need to wait. Anyway this vehicle is obsolete now as far as India is concerned.
3. Used X Trail - am afraid of its maintenance costs and down time in case it falls ill under my care. Will not spring for a new one at 25-27 lacs I simply wont buy it the same way I wont buy a brand new Fortuner either.
4.Renault Duster top end whenever it comes out - this is just ideal for me in terms of all it has in it and the projected price too. But there is no reasonable input as to when this might hit the market and its servicing etc may be a challenge. I dont know for sure yet.
5. Skoda Yeti top end brand new - I might just spring for this because it is indeed a very clever vehicle. Since there are just 2 of us and predominantly this vehicle will be used in the city it makes a lot of sense with its proportions and overall functionality. When it is used on longer trips we will simply put its clever rear seats down and liberate all the space that we may need. Of course this puts paid very effectively to having any passengers with us but I guess thats the price one has to pay. Anyway for the most part it is only me and my wife so I cant be bothered budgeting for the odd scenario when I might have to take several passengers here and there. Im beginning to convince myself more and more that the Yeti is right up my street. I wish they would knock something off their wickedly high price though! Sigh...

All the rest of these vehicles which are in the pipeline, the Force SUV and Tata Merlin and all that are too "in the air" as of now so Im not keen on any of them at all.
As of now my 3.4 year old scorpio is doing yeoman service for me so I will keep it for around another 6 months or so. Round about early next year I think I can consider upgrading to any of the new vehicles which have the desired features as described above.

Quote:
Shankar, why don't you wait for mahindra new car, the service centre guys already got training on that and the launch is very near, the initial feeling is it completely loaded with all safety feature and it's going to be competing with all international brands! Will be available in both 4x4 and 4x2 model, no harm in waiting for few more months to have a look at one more vehicle, the above information is based on what I am told by these guys.
Yeti is very practical vehicle for city and all other outdoor activities, definitely it's not a replacement of any hardcore 4x4 with ladder chassis.
-Pramod
Quote:
-Pramod
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 08:58   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. Skoda Yeti top end brand new - I might just spring for this because it is indeed a very clever vehicle. Since there are just 2 of us and predominantly this vehicle will be used in the city it makes a lot of sense with its proportions and overall functionality. When it is used on longer trips we will simply put its clever rear seats down and liberate all the space that we may need. Of course this puts paid very effectively to having any passengers with us but I guess thats the price one has to pay. Anyway for the most part it is only me and my wife so I cant be bothered budgeting for the odd scenario when I might have to take several passengers here and there. Im beginning to convince myself more and more that the Yeti is right up my street. I wish they would knock something off their wickedly high price though! Sigh...
Hi Shankar,
There are some really good deals going on currently in the 10 year Celebrations offer for the Yeti. The average discount which they are giving is in the range of 1.4 L . Some people have also been able to negotiate even as high as 3 L, depending on the colour and date of manufacture. You could try your luck and hopefully get the Yeti at a very good value for money price!
Unlucky for us that we had to buy at the full price earlier!
Old 1st August 2011, 19:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

made a couple of calls to their showroom yesterday and gave them my interest. also gave them all the details (contact etc)
I was promised that a sales exec would call back asap

it is about 36 hours now and I am still waiting

looks like they are all too busy celebrating their 10th year to bother about the consumer!

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
There are some really good deals going on currently in the 10 year Celebrations offer for the Yeti. The average discount which they are giving is in the range of 1.4 L . Some people have also been able to negotiate even as high as 3 L, depending on the colour and date of manufacture. You could try your luck and hopefully get the Yeti at a very good value for money price!
Unlucky for us that we had to buy at the full price earlier!
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:26   #120
BHPian

The worst a company can do is to make a prospect wait and later see them go and buy something else! Have seen this happening with most of the dealers, these guys are more into numbers and would be very prompt to respond if you would have shown interest in high volumn car like Fabia which seems to be doing good numbers these days. For everything else they believe they don't have to sale, you need it and you will buy it, what a shame!

-Pramod