Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Default Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi

I always wanted a car. We never had any in my family of 3 (mum, dad and me), and have always travelled by bike for the last 29 years of my life. Financially i'm not very strong but i was determined to buy a car. I was waiting for last few years to shore up enough dough so that i can avail of a minimum loan amount when i actually buy a car. Also, the fact that i was going to spend a boat-load of my hard earned money were ample grounds for thoroughly checking up on any prospective car.

Chapter1: THE ITCH AND HOW I SCRATCHED IT (Jan-Feb 2010)
When i was informed by a RTO family member in Nov 2009 that the launch of the VW Polo is imminent i got the itch. Apart from the fact that the Polo is a great lil' hatchback, VW is synonymous with quality. I got obsessed with the car completely. I visited the showroom, began reading reviews, looking at pics, specs and every tiny bit of info i could garner on it to firmly reinforce my belief that this was going to be my future car. That's how i Googled my way to TEAM-BHP

It became my de-facto website everytime i was online. I believe i largely contributed to most of the page views in the Polo launch thread! Kept waiting for a review and finally end of Feb 2010 GTO put up his Polo review. I was thrilled initially and then reality bit really hard. GTO's tepid comments on the car were a real bummer and i kept telling myself i can 'work' my way around negatives like the 3-pot 1.2 petrol and the average rear leg room. Finally the car was launched in the flesh in Goa, so off i went one fine day, my mum in tow to the VW showroom. The car looked spectacular in one word. The finish was awesome, the build typical German-like. Some other customer and me requested to start the car.. as i thought it sounded like a benign rickshaw engine. I mean coming from the K-series and Kappa this was not expected from VW, but what the heck i was biased. Next i asked my mum to sit in the car. Front seat was great, easy ingress-egress. Then she went to the rear and literally 'sank' in. The rear seat in the Polo is NOT meant for elderly folk. The Polo was out.

Chapter2: THE ALTERNATIVES (March 2010)
Now that the Polo was out i began looking at other options that i thought were good. Took test drives of the Swift VXi, Ritz VDi and Punto and kept reading up on Team-BHP, including ownership reviews.

Swift VXi:
The Swift Vxi with the K-series petrol was refined to say the least. Punchy yet frugal. The car was great at cornering with minimal body roll and was overall a pleasure to drive. The biggest turn-off was the pricing and features combo. It was just too much for a car so many years old. OTR was Rs.4,96,000 I would also have to shell out more for a decent ICE unit which by the way was a priority for me.

Ritz VDi:
The Ritz VDi was a great car. When i entered the car it felt roomy. The seating position was high and i kind of liked the weird tacho in the middle of the dashboard. The diesel had oodles of torque .. if you waited for it. It was fun opening the throttle to feel the turbo surge in every gear. The flaws here for me were the body roll, expected of a tall-boy, the butt-ugly rear and the pricing. Even after discounts the VDi without ABS was Rs.5,37,000 OTR without an ICE.

Swift LDi:
I didn't really get a chance to TD this car due to various reasons, but after driving its Petrol sibling and the Ritz VDi, i had a decent idea of what is to be expected from this car.

Punto(diesel):
The Punto was one car i was highly excited about after reading so much about it in the forum until i actually drove it. The car seemed to only make a loud booming noise and go absolutely nowhere in 1st and 2nd. I was told by some in the forum that this is normal, and the car becomes more refined and driveable after 3000 kms. I was in no mood to spend my hard earned money on this car esp. since i was looking at the base model for Rs.5,27,000 OTR without most features and the service is below par. Low availability of parts and Fiat selling minimal numbers did not bode well.

All this while i couldn't help but come across the Figo thread and the great review from GTO. The largely positive comments by Team-BHPians piqued my interest. Around this time I got a text from Ford with the pricing, which was quite great frankly. I thus began to consider the Figo as my future car.

Chapter3: THE TEST DRIVE(April 2010)
I got there after calling Caculo Ford first to make sure the Figo was available for a TD. Note that at this point i was totally non-biased about the car.

I still remember sitting in the car for the first time and noting that the car was decently spacious than its outer contour leads you to believe. The large glass area helps in creating this ambience, but make no mistake, the car is decently spacious as you will find out.

Ingress was good for a low slung car. The front seating was nothing to marvel about but was comfortable, although lumbar support seemed lacking after the actual TD. I actually loved the way the EBONY front dash and gearshift were crafted, simple yet elegant. The gearshift location was just right for me and the fact that there was an oem ICE at all helped in making a case for the Figo. I then performed the rear leg room test..pushed the front seats back so that the front seating was comfortable for a 5'11" lanky individual as myself and then slunk into the rear seat to find my knees weren't touching the back of the front seats, and i could actually move my feet around! Shocking after coming from a travelling many-a-mile in the rear seat of my friends' Swift's with my knees dug into the back of their front seat. I noticed the only eye-sore here was the lack of power windows in the rear, a non-issue since i would use the a/c most of the time.

Lastly, the boot. It was cavernous for a small car..inspite of the intrusion of the wheel well's on either side you could carry a lot of stuff in that space. Perfect. Now for the actual TD.

I took the petrol version first with 3 occupants in it. The engine felt refined but lacked the punch of the Swift K-series. More than anything i immediately noticed how awesome the steering was. It was like my digital cam .. 'point-and-shoot' . I know the analogy sucks but believe me that it is really good. So after the sedate drive, wherein i inadvertently switched on the wipers a no. of times, we were back at the showroom. I was left hoping for more, but the knowledge that the Figo was feature loaded still helped its case.

Next up the diesel. Left the showroom heading towards an open road through the cesspool of traffic and when i finally hit the open road i squeezed the throttle gently. The damn car just came alive! It was brilliant. I then did the 'point-and-shoot' thing along the curvy road and the chassis just kept begging for more. So i gave it a bit more throttle. By now the car was already approaching 100kmph, so i immediately eased off, until i came to another open stretch. This time i revved her in every gear in a straight line, didn't even bother going into overdrive. I was hooked. This was my future car, and i would do anything to own it. So back we went to the showroom with a slightly unnerved SE, whom i did apologize to, but he did assure me he's been through worse...women drivers heh heh

Also, i noted a few points after the TD, apart from the great handling. The NVH levels seemed good, better than the Punto and the Ritz, in my opinion. The engine loses steam after 3000-odd rpm, the turbo effect is linear, not as sudden as the Ritz VDi, so basically more drive-able. Overall my TD experience of the Figo TDCi was superlative.

Chapter4: COMMITTING THE ACT(May 2010)

I was following new owner experiences very keenly on TeamBHP and barring a fuel mileage discussion being negative there wasn't much reason to not go for the Figo TDCi. So i sat and calculated the cost of ownership and the loan amount needed etc. etc. and booked a Figo TDCi EXi Moondust Silver on the 31st of May (the last day before the price increase) for a total of Rs.5,19,000 OTR. From this point on began the running around for the loan sanctioning and the waiting for the car to be allocated. Finally after almost 3 months on 21st August i picked up my car from Caculo Ford. The sales team were pretty helpful throughout and stuck to their word on giving me free floor mats, apart from the usual free paraphernalia (ambipur scent, box-o-chocolates etc).

One thing of note is that i printed out the entire Pre-delivery Inspection guidelines from TeamBHP(worth 4 A4-size pages) and ritualistically followed the same to check my new girl. Kudos to Team-BHP users for creating it in the first place. My poor SE was pretty tired by the time i was finished! Either way i shook hands thanked one-an-all and rolled out my new car into the pouring rain..'cause the weather had gone mad, with storm like rain and wind. I drove extremely carefully home and parked my shining new, now mud-splattered, car in my driveway. A moment of pride friends..

Accessories:
Fogs - Rs.4100
Seat Covers (black vinyl) - Rs.5,000
Steering Leather - Rs.500
Sun Film (Garware Icecool Shield - front + Garware 35% - sides and back) - Rs.4,500

Onto the pics ..

Last edited by bblost : 16th December 2010 at 19:02. Reason: Extra Smiley removed. Only 2 per post. Thanks.
commodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th December 2010, 15:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi

Wow! A great write up! Smart decision! Figo is really a VFM, specially the EXi and Titanium are more so!!!

Waiting for the pics!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Pics below of my car - Figo TDCi EXi Moondust Silver
Attached Thumbnails
Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-1.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-2.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-3.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-4.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-5.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-6.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-7.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-8.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-9.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-10.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-11.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-12.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-13.jpg  

Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-14.jpg  

Old 16th December 2010, 15:41   #4
BHPian

OWNERSHIP UPDATE:
Upto 2,500 kms-
I reached 2,500 kms in just over a month of buying the car. Booked an appointment with Caculo Ford and reached there early in the morning.
Issues i had;
1. Suspension thud - This is very unnerving when you hear a loud thud after going into a pothole.
2. Front driver side wiper erratic operation - This wiper had been giving me a problem ever since i bought the car. It 'skips' on the windshield while wiping with a loud noise.
3. Power Steering - Clicking noise when reaching either left or right extreme

The service center staff was decently helpful and sorted out my issues i put forth. The thud is apparently normal. The wiper was replaced under warranty and worked for like 2 days before it was back to its antics and is very distracting when driving in the rain. The power steering noise was because of some obstruction that was cleared after checking for quite a long time by 2 mechanics. An oil change was done, oil filter changed, greasing was done.
Total cost - Rs.1,300

At 5,500 kms-
Have currently reached 5,500 kms in the car and have yet to do the wheel rotation/alignment which i have booked an appointment for next week. Had 2 'incidents' meanwhile..1 was my fault while reversing and the other was a stupid kid on a bike , scratched the right rear door in 2 places and the door handle. Have listed out some pros and cons for you guys
Pros:
1. The car is truly a drivers car, the reason i bought it in the first place. Awesome steering response and handling.
2. Mileage - I expected 12-odd kmpl after reading poor reviews before buying. Am getting between 15-17kmpl (city+highway w/ 70%a/c) depending on how i drive. Have not done a long highway run yet. *
3. The engine is a peach. A bit noisy on a cold start but once warmed up can't be heard in the cabin and is fun to rev.
4. The a/c is more than enough at minimum incl. blower on 1, for front passengers.
5. The oem music system is plain awesome. It is more than enough for the Figo in my opinion. I use CD's + USB w/ auxillary in.
6. The rear seating is very comfortable .. had a friend actually sleep in the rear during a 30-km drive, and yes i drove carefully.
7. The boot is big in one word. I once carried a whole yet-to-be-assembled PC with contents in their bulky boxes with absolutely no problem.
* Have changed my driving style to suit this car. From stop position i gently accelerate and rev her max to 2,200 rpm. I usually run between 1,200 to 2,000rpm with a max of 2,500 rpm. Have revved her to 3,500rpm once in while though.

Cons:
1. Front wiper issue - It 'skips' on the windshield while wiping with a loud noise.
2. On a cold start of late the fan-belt makes a loud squeaking noise which goes away after the engine warms up. It gotten louder than before. Is this normal?
3. The loud thud from the suspension has caused a few minor rattles inside the car already. I don't like the sounds but what are you gonna do?
4. Thats it! can't think of anything more right now.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Wow! A great write up! Smart decision! Figo is really a VFM, specially the EXi and Titanium are more so!!!

Waiting for the pics!
Hey thanks anilsanil, my personal opinion too that this car is worth every penny!

I've put up pics and an initial ownership report..
Old 16th December 2010, 16:24   #6
BHPian

Congrats @commodore. Lovely write up and excellent photos. The car really looks a beauty and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun owning it.

Reading your description and your impressions of TD'ing all the cars, it never seemed like you've never owned a car before. Wrote like a true enthusiast
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A very well written write up commodore. And a great car you got there.

Enjoy the Figo, drive safe and more pictures please.

deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:42   #8
BHPian

congrats on the cool.Looks good in silver.Any plans for alloys?
Drive safe
SHK
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 17:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. The silver outside and the black inside combination looks superb. I especially liked the seat covers on the rear bench.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 20:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Congrats @commodore. Lovely write up and excellent photos. The car really looks a beauty and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun owning it.

Reading your description and your impressions of TD'ing all the cars, it never seemed like you've never owned a car before. Wrote like a true enthusiast
Thanks Neil, it is my first car but have always loved cars, so no surprise there. Of course teambhp helped a tad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A very well written write up commodore. And a great car you got there.

Enjoy the Figo, drive safe and more pictures please.
Thanks Deet, appreciate the comments. Will post more pics with scenic backdrops in Goa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
congrats on the cool.Looks good in silver.Any plans for alloys?
Drive safe
SHK
Thanks SHK, not yet but will someday. A paucity of funds is the main reason. Of late I've spent more on fuel, than anything else. I love driving this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. The silver outside and the black inside combination looks superb. I especially liked the seat covers on the rear bench.
Thanks Khoj, the seat covers by 'Dolphin' cost me Rs.5,000 in Goa. Another friend bought similar cream colored covers for Rs.3,500 in Bombay. The 'fake' leather look had me at hello
Old 17th December 2010, 12:37   #11
BHPian

Great passionate write-up there Commodore.

Though you mentioned this is your first car, your narration was real crisp and that like of a well seasoned enthusiast, enjoyed reading it.
Do post more pictures of the car with great backdrops (goa, baby!!) and I would suggest avoiding the face-masking photos which spoils the otherwise beautiful pictures, just my 2 cents

If possible could you post a close up of the steering wheel cover too? Would like to check them out. The seat covers are awesome, I'm planning on getting one myself.

Continue having a great time with the Figo!
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 15:38   #12
BHPian

Aah!, Another silver Figo. Congratulations!. And a very well written report. Very happy to see your Figo is not having any of trademark Figo squeaks. Nice seat covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
OWNERSHIP UPDATE: I usually run between 1,200 to 2,000rpm with a max of 2,500 rpm. Have revved her to 3,500rpm once in while though.
The manual advises revving to 3000rpm for 30secs once every week
Deep Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 22:22   #13
BHPian

You live in Goa & now you got a Figo...Well well. I guess your list of "What I want?" will have no more open points! . Its a lovely car.
Congratulations and wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles with your Figo!

Cheers.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 22:28   #14
BHPian

@jayded, Deep Blue, Reinhard
Thanks guys for the thumbs up..appreciate it.

@jayded
I'll check on the brand name of the steering wheel cover and let you know. Its cheap and looks good, so works for me. Will definitely post more pics, of the car in sometime.

@Deep Blue
I have you to thank in some ways for picking a silver Figo. The silver looked great in your pics! I was leaning towards Sea Grey until then. Oh yeah..and i do rev her. Have touched 140 kmph on a couple of occasions

Now for the bad part. I whacked the rear bumper on a pile of rocks (see 1). Don't ask. I am still ashamed of myself. Next up, a smart *** arab kid tries to overtake me from behind .. while i was overtaking another car , enough said. (see 2).

Have handed over the car to Caculo Ford here to do the body work and other stuff today. Was quoted Rs.2,700 for the body work. Other stuff is the wheel rotation @5,500kms and my front wiper issue i mentioned earlier. Will update this thread after receiving the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking good in silver - Figo TDCi EXi-pc163185.jpg  

Old 1st November 2011, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Hey, Hope you are doing good with the Figo How is the car now? And service experience at Caculo?
My car is coming next week
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote