Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 18:39   #61
BHPian
 
puneet8796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Hey anantu2001,

Congratulations for this massive beast! I have ridden a captiva once and I was completely blown by the sheer power it has. After Turbo kicking in, it could beat ANY other car on the road.

I can just say, drive carefully and enjoy one of the best city SUVs available in the market.
puneet8796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:31   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Captiva is certainly a good choice if you are going to stick to good to moderately bad roads. The interiors are a lot more pleasing than the just about average ones of the Fortuner. Just as the Fortuner, has terrific road presence too.

Its the Toyota brand name and a 4x4 thats pulling the crowd to Fortuner. Hope Chevrolet launches a 4x4 version with the pending facelift. Then it will be interesting to see if the Fortuner holds on to its 1000+ sales month on month!

Lastly, Wishing you miles of happiness with the Captiva!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 1st January 2011 at 19:33. Reason: typo
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 22:37   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 38
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Wow never knew this. Thanks for the advice. By the way what mileage are you getting?? We checked the mileage using full tank method and we got around 9.8 kmpl. The MID was showing 9.7 litres/100 kms, i.e., 10.3 kmpl.
At least mine does, so pointed it out. I easily get 10+ in the city. Surprisingly my MID average has come down from 9.8/100km (when new) to 10.4/100km whereas the real avg has gone up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Its the Toyota brand name and a 4x4 thats pulling the crowd to Fortuner. Hope Chevrolet launches a 4x4 version with the pending facelift.
The captiva awd model does offer a full time 4x4 albeit only with an automatic transmission.
The Santa Fe IMO stiffens the competition for both of these. Not sure how it has done so far however.

Last edited by prabhpreet : 1st January 2011 at 22:49.
prabhpreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:40   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhpreet View Post
The captiva awd model does offer a full time 4x4 albeit only with an automatic transmission.
The Santa Fe IMO stiffens the competition for both of these. Not sure how it has done so far however.
Ya, I was aware of the AWD, just wish they launch a proper H-L 4wd, like we have on the Fortuner.

Do put up some interior pics anantu2001, day/night.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:57   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats Anant and thanks for sharing the pics. It looks great.

Just curious.. Was TATA Aria not in the contention during the buying process :-)

Cheers,
Amit
Thanks Amit. No, Aria was not in the contention at all. Its a new product from Tata and we didn't want to experiment. This is purely my personal view and nothing against the Aria. I feel its a good vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhpreet View Post
At least mine does, so pointed it out. I easily get 10+ in the city. Surprisingly my MID average has come down from 9.8/100km (when new) to 10.4/100km whereas the real avg has gone up


.
I'm still wondering how thats possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Ya, I was aware of the AWD, just wish they launch a proper H-L 4wd, like we have on the Fortuner.

Do put up some interior pics anantu2001, day/night.
Here they come.
Attached Images
        
anantu2001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 11:03   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

First of all congratulations on your purchase. A nice choice indeed. Wishing you many happy miles of motoring joy with it.

Thanks for posting the interior pics. Looks like the cabin is huge. Probably as big as the santa fe. Really wish they had given rear ac vents. Still looking at your pics, am going to test drive thr car soon.

One question. The space under the mid, can we fit in a navigation device there?
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 11:59   #67
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Congrats and a brilliant choice
what was your on road price?
and the power in captiva is addictive drove one recently and its just picks up like crazy after 2500 rpm

Enjoy the fresh air and drive safe
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 13:01   #68
BHPian
 
razrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

First of all, Congrats! A very sensible choice.

We were about to finalize fortuner and your review came just in time and made me re-think. I am seriously considering switching over to a Captiva. Will maybe wait for the new one though since not in any hurry.

EDIT: The last row seats seem pretty spacious. Really impressed.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 13:30   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all congratulations on your purchase. A nice choice indeed. Wishing you many happy miles of motoring joy with it.

Thanks for posting the interior pics. Looks like the cabin is huge. Probably as big as the santa fe. Really wish they had given rear ac vents. Still looking at your pics, am going to test drive thr car soon.

One question. The space under the mid, can we fit in a navigation device there?
Thanks mdsaab. There is storage space just below the MID but not big enough for a Navigation device. I don't think you can fit in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Congrats and a brilliant choice
what was your on road price?
and the power in captiva is addictive drove one recently and its just picks up like crazy after 2500 rpm

Enjoy the fresh air and drive safe
Thanks raj. On road price was Rs. 2317000/-. Yes its a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
First of all, Congrats! A very sensible choice.

We were about to finalize fortuner and your review came just in time and made me re-think. I am seriously considering switching over to a Captiva. Will maybe wait for the new one though since not in any hurry.

EDIT: The last row seats seem pretty spacious. Really impressed.
Thanks razrman. The new Captiva will only come around Diwali. You think you can wait so long??

Please go out check out the vehicle personally. Some pictures may be misleading also. For us, the last row is more than sufficient because the average height of our family is 5'4".
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:16   #70
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

This Xtreme version is more India friendly when it comes to interiors. Mine with beige interiors attracts way too much dirt for my liking thus asking for extra bit of air.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 17:20   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Thanks swiftnfurious. The interiors along with the waiting period for the Fortuner was the deal breaker. Regarding the maintenance cost, yes, thats what they claim in the manual and the brochure. Now have to see in reality whether it works out. We are now getting a FE of about 10 kmph which I think will improve after first servicing.

Between, if possible can you check with your friend if he has got the Cooled glovebox feature??
I checked with my friend - His captiva also doesnt have cooled gloved box. Looks like the SA made it clear during the test drive itself - my friend asked about this feature and they said its not coming in the new set of cars.

Also he has clocked around 2K kms in a week or two as well. Said he gets around 11-12 kmpl and already did a 190kmph in the car! He was pretty confident about the drive at that speed and said he would have touched 200 kmph had he not ran out of roads ! Apparently this was on the way to Ooty I guess.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:58   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I checked with my friend - His captiva also doesnt have cooled gloved box. Looks like the SA made it clear during the test drive itself - my friend asked about this feature and they said its not coming in the new set of cars.

Also he has clocked around 2K kms in a week or two as well. Said he gets around 11-12 kmpl and already did a 190kmph in the car! He was pretty confident about the drive at that speed and said he would have touched 200 kmph had he not ran out of roads ! Apparently this was on the way to Ooty I guess.
Thanks swiftnfurious for checking with your friend. Then I think the SP at Sundaram motors is at fault or he has not been given proper information.

Yes I think 10-12 kmpl is good enough. We still have not reached those kind of speeds but people have told me that 200 kmph is easily possible. Sigh!! We really don't have such good roads here
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 14:20   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Really wish that one could use that space to put in a navigation device. How about a pnd. Would one be able to fit one in that space? Do let me know. Thanks
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 16:08   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Hi Guys.

Just a quick update. We are now done with the first servicing and as promised by GM guys, they have installed the knob for the flow of air into the glove box. Now we can keep our stuff there which needs to be cooled.

We had an opportunity to go to Mysore yesterday and as we had crossed our 1000 km running in period it was time to have some fun with the beast. As people from Bangalore would know, Bangalore-Mysore highway on a Sunday will be like driving inside Bangalore. Too much traffic.

I must admit, this is the best drive I've ever had in my life. Just too good. This is the first time the vehicle crossed 80 kmph and we were feeling more and more confident with increased speeds. Of course, there was a bit of body roll around corners but it was never intolerable.

The engine is the best thing in this vehicle. At 80 kmph, in 5th gear the engine rpm will be around 2000. At 100 kmph, it'll be hovering around 2400 rpm and at 140 kmph, it will be showing 3000 rpm. This is when you realise and have a wide grin on your face. MAMU this is total PAISA WASOOL

Overtaking is a pleasure in this vehicle. The turbo plays a very important part in all this. The trick is to keep the engine at around 2000 rpm to extract the maximum from the turbo. The only noise was from the tires. The stock tires are KUMHO 17". Does changing the tires to Bridgestone or Michelin help with reducing the noise??

We got a mileage of 11.5 kmpl for this trip and we are very happy with it. We are planning another long trip this month end to Shimoga, Sagar and will update you guys once I come back.

Cheers,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 16:18   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 38
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Congrats on your first real date. Yes, the turbo is awesome
Quote:
The only noise was from the tires. The stock tires are KUMHO 17".
I haven't actually noticed any perceptible noise from mine. Any other captiva owners?
Quote:
We got a mileage of 11.5 kmpl for this trip and we are very happy with it.
This should go up to around 13.
prabhpreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ted - A Diamond White Ford EcoSport Diesel Titanium Anoop_SG Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 21st April 2014 10:52
Premier Rio to get Multijet-ted vikrantj The Indian Car Scene 60 1st August 2012 17:22
"Innova"ted Ladakh: A photologue goandude Travelogues 73 27th July 2010 21:31
How to upgrade my Captiva LT to Captiva Automatic Tx prabhpreet Modifications & Accessories 8 20th March 2009 17:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks