Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th February 2011, 15:05   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report

5500 km Update, 1st servicing done

The good

The car engine has gotten a whole lot smoother. The FE figures are now in the range of 12-13 in the city without the AC as opposed to about 10 before the first service.

Power delivery is smoother and I can drive in 3rd gear pretty much all the time. Yesterday was a flash storm in Delhi and the roads were wet and puddled, yet the car was un affected. Went through all the slush and puddles and muck without batting an eyelid or worrying the car wouldn't make it out.

Size is a huge plus and bhpians from delhi will second this. None messes with you, they make way for you, the buses will stop and reconsider a stupid move after they see whats behind them.

Handling despite the size is great. The car also corners well given its height. Even though it is a big car, the line of sight and the powersteering allows you to negotiate traffic effortlessly.

The AC is very powerful. Though I have used it only a couple of times, it is very effective even on the lowest speed setting

The bad
Squeaks and rattles have increased. It is very annoying. The door panels, rear seats and the speakers in the back door are the culprit. Tried to get them rectified in the first service but to no avail.

The engine, when switched off makes a funny noise like a mechanical arm retracting which reduces in volume and then stops. Is this normal??

There is a single click sound that comes when you take off in the first gear. It sounds like the axle clicking. DOes anyone have any idea as to what it could be?

Sometimes in a 2nd or 3rd gear when the revs are low and I accelerate, there is a dragging sound that comes from the engine. It is not the knocking sound but like a repetitive drag. I tried to get it sorted in the at the service centre, but it didn't improve. This doesn't effect performance once you pull up to about 1800 to 2000 rpm but below that it makes this sound. Please help with what it could be so that I can get it rectified.

I have taken it from Delhi to Jaipu and back which no problems. IT is a great car which gives you the confidence of going pretty much anywhere. I have also driven it through shrubs in empty road plots, on really bad slushy roads where other car owners would shudder to go, but it goes, gets out and takes you home. Great feeling!!!

Save the bads that I have faced with the car, This vehicle delivers on everything it promises. The only thing is that when you drive it and then drive a fortuner or a pajero, you know you are driving an Indian made SUV...its all there yet it still isn't...
prakashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 17:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

prakash that's a good FE that you are managing to get off the Mhawk in the city traffic.

Quote:
Squeaks and rattles have increased. It is very annoying. The door panels, rear seats and the speakers in the back door are the culprit. Tried to get them rectified in the first service but to no avail.
Spend a Sunday and fix the rattles one by one. Check the if the mountings/rubber bushes/beading's are in place. If you still arent satisfied get the doors dampened using dynamat or something on those lines.

As for me, I am sick of the rattle from the meter console's face plate. The damn thing never ceases rattling.

Quote:
The engine, when switched off makes a funny noise like a mechanical arm retracting which reduces in volume and then stops. Is this normal??
Haven't experienced this though and I suggest you get it checked since you mentioned it makes a funny noise.

Quote:
Sometimes in a 2nd or 3rd gear when the revs are low and I accelerate, there is a dragging sound that comes from the engine. It is not the knocking sound but like a repetitive drag. I tried to get it sorted in the at the service centre, but it didn't improve. This doesn't effect performance once you pull up to about 1800 to 2000 rpm but below that it makes this sound.
Have heard of turbo lag but not something on the lines of a dragging sound. If the sound ceases once you are at 1800 rpm then you might wanna get this also checked. The turbo kicks in around the 1750 rpm and I have never heard of this before(atleast from the scorpio issues and solutions thread).
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 08:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats Prakash. It sure is a car to enjoy, no matter where you go. Any plans of changing the claddings? Please do post some pics.

Last edited by aviorp : 9th February 2011 at 09:10.
aviorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congrats Prakash. It sure is a car to enjoy, no matter where you go. Any plans of changing the claddings? Please do post some pics.
Hey aviorp, the LX comes without any claddings and the after market fittments from Mahindra cost an additional 35K so no claddings. Now that I think about it the SLE was a lakh more with wipers in the rear (10K), ABS (40K) and claddings (35K) and other bells and whistles...so that would have been a more economic choice. what can I say...
Old 13th February 2011, 23:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
Hey aviorp, the LX comes without any claddings and the after market fittments from Mahindra cost an additional 35K so no claddings. Now that I think about it the SLE was a lakh more with wipers in the rear (10K), ABS (40K) and claddings (35K) and other bells and whistles...so that would have been a more economic choice. what can I say...
Right said fred :-),the VFM is the SLE,picked one up last oct after getting inputs from fellow BHPns,the most valuable was, pick up the veh which has ABS,hence the SLE.
Ramanjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 10:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
Right said fred :-),the VFM is the SLE,picked one up last oct after getting inputs from fellow BHPns,the most valuable was, pick up the veh which has ABS,hence the SLE.
@Ramanjit, I went for a test drive of SLE on Saturday and I have almost decided to buy.

But whats giving me nightmare is the hard clutch. I used own a 2007 2.6 CRDE for about 2.5 years, which I sold off last year after meeting with an accident.

The clutch used to get so hard, I used avoid taking the scorpio out in the peak hours in the city.

The TD vehicle had done around 26500 KMS, but the clutch was not as smooth as I would have liked it to be.

How is your clutch behaving, any issues?

BHPians please let me know if there is any difference in the clutch between the earlier models (2007) and the models which are coming out now.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 16:25   #22
BHPian

The clutch is not hard, it just has a lot of travel before it engages the clutch plate. you have to press it down all the way to shift the gears. It is not hard, but that depends from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
@Ramanjit, I went for a test drive of SLE on Saturday and I have almost decided to buy.

But whats giving me nightmare is the hard clutch. I used own a 2007 2.6 CRDE for about 2.5 years, which I sold off last year after meeting with an accident.

The clutch used to get so hard, I used avoid taking the scorpio out in the peak hours in the city.

The TD vehicle had done around 26500 KMS, but the clutch was not as smooth as I would have liked it to be.

How is your clutch behaving, any issues?

BHPians please let me know if there is any difference in the clutch between the earlier models (2007) and the models which are coming out now.

Regards
Old 17th February 2011, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Congratulations Prakashuthosh on your new scorpio. I was in the same state you were when you shortlisted it.

I decided and booked VLX Airbag version by stretching my self little much.
Dealer promised me to deliver by 26th Feb. Eagerly waiting for it.

It was very nice reading your experience. Will add mine here once i get my beast.

Cheers,
Vadi
abacusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Hey Guys,

My wait is almost getting over and excitement is killing me. After push and pull on the delivery date, I just got a call saying the vehicle has now arrived and would reach the show room today. I have asked the dealer not to send for registration before my initial inspection on the vehicle.

Just want to know if there is any thing I must be looking for to ensure peaceful buy? It will help grately, apart from the PDI document which is in this forum.

Thanks,
Vadiraj
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:37   #25
BHPian

Finally after all the eagerness and tension and wait was worth. I got the delivery of my white mHawk VLX airbag version on last sat.

I had a wedding to attend and had to take the vehicle delivery on that day itself. As promised, the dealer delivered on date but little delay in time.

As we had to leave for a wedding to chitradurga I did not put any accessories to it. Took it as stock.

The feel is great, all in all a worthy buy and worthy wait. Its massive and yet smooth. Rugged yet delicate.

Chitradurga drive gave me a chance to test most of the feature on the first day itself. Dealer asked me to maintain btw 60-80 kmh atleast for the first 1000 km. And I'm following it(some one hit me for this).

80 Km/h on a highway on this vehicle is almost like brisk walking on the road trust me.

As you all know VLX version comes with following features.

Micro Hybrid: Though quite interesting but not very helpful. The feature is shut the engine off at signals when the gear is put to neutral and clutch is released. Automatically start the engine when clutch is applied. This is really a fuel saving technique is traffic jams that you face in bangalore daily. But this feature in my vehicle works sometime and doesn't sometimes. I'm yet to understand when it doesn't. I could notice that when you stop the vehicle from top gears from 2nd gear onwards and bring it to neutral, the engine fails to shut down automatically. Will report more once I understand this well.

Tyre Tronics: The pressure on 4 wheel. This is displayed on digital dash board at engine on. The psi reading is not same as you see from the traditional ones. There is variation of 1 unit. And the latest versions of Scorpio do not have psi display for the 5th wheel. As the 5th wheel is not alloy. Got to know that earlier version had the sensor for the 5th wheel too.

Cruise Control: I love this feature. As I was advised not to exceed 80kmh initially, this feature came very handy in bangalore - chitradurga road. Its hard to maintain the speed through the accelerator. I set the speed to 80 and relaxed leaving the accelerator. The vehicle maintains the speed at 80. Amazing feature and works well too. The vehicle accelerates automatically on up hill.. Could feel the engine roar. With highways improving well with 4 lanes, I'm sure this is a very good feature. Its a worthy buy. The control comes to you the moment you touch the brakes. later you can get back to the previous speed with one press of the Res button given on the steering.

Auto sensing head lamps and rain sensor. Headlights switch on at dark automatically. Though not a very useful feature but good to have.

Automatic rain sensor: I was lucky to test even this. Mid way it rained heavily and sensor activates the visors. The speed of the visors are also controlled automatically. When the rain is heavy it wipes faster as expected. Very well done.

All in all the experience is very good and very excited to drive this mighty one.

7Captain vs 8FF vs 7Side Seating: I actually planned and booked 7 Captain seats, the dealer did not have 7 captain but asked me to take 8FF and later change to 7 captain if required but, the one delivered was 7 side seating. I must say it was a boon. 7 captain is actually 5 seats IMHO when loaded with luggage and not comfortable either, however 8FF can take another person in center but back row again cannot be utilized except for luggage. 7 side really could not only take luggage but also accommodate seating. On return, the vehicle was loaded with 8 people with luggage. Trust me side seating is best. Two old people could stretch their legs and sleep. On seating this what I felt after scratching my head a lot on it.

However some things are very bad.

1. Door lock handle(interior): It looks so low quality, the look and feel is very demotivating. M&M should really look at this.
2. Micro hybrid still needs improvement.
3. Clutch is harder than I expected. May be it would be for few kms. Hoping it becomes smooth after a while.

Audio system:
I should say its of very poor quality, the local ones perform better than nippon one. The display is non user friendly and processing speed is very low. It comes with bluetooth support, but the other person cannot hear well. The mic is bad and needs improvement. YOU CANNOT use the call feature, Others cannot hear you well. I rate it -ve on this.
It has usb reader and sd card reader. Directories are not displayed while seeking, you need to press info to see which folder came in. Multiple folder support is not present. And be aware you put a card containing many folders and files, it wont work(my 16 gb card was not recognized when loaded full with only songs). Ipod, though I see a mark with ipod, ipod was not recognized. Not sure if it is a bug or that is how it is.
Sound quality is ok, the speakers are just the basic ones you get in the market. Dont expect a very good quality audio. I'm planning to change it if I can without hampering any other features. I rate it 1/5 for the audio system.

Will put more reviews as and when I feel worth sharing here. Thanks to team-bhp. The reviews and posts helped me to make the right choice.

Attaching few snaps as well.

Cheers,
Vadi
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report-scaled1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report-scaled5.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report-scaled3.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report-scaled4.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 17:18   #26
BHPian

10000 km Update

The moster continues to amaze me. The engine has settled in and is a lot smoother. The 2nd servicing is due and will be done in the next week. FE figures hover around 11 with the AC and some excitable driving on the highway.
Rattles and squeaks continue to plague. As suggested, spent a sunday at the workshop to get them removed and tighten the nuts and bolts but they are back now. The headrests are the noisiest, I have tried to reduce the sound by padding them with sponge...works to an extent.

When it comes to ride and handling, this car is a dream and I actually look forward to my 1 hour drive back to Delhi from Gurgaon. Pliant at high speeds and even more so when it is fully loaded.

I am shifting house and everyday that I have shuttled stuff I have thanked my stars that I didn't get a sedan. Several airport transfers have been conducted owing to the cavernous boot and generous second row. The wife (I got married in Feb) also loves driving it. SHe is still getting used to the size as she is graduating from a wagon r to this monstrosity, but she says its not as heavy as it looks.

Lack of ABS continues to be of concern. Reccomendation to all potential Scorpio owners...stretch that budget...go sor the Sle if the vlx is out of the grab zone. WHile the VFM Lx is great...the lack of an ABS is a problem and you will feel it, especially driving in a city like delhi where the roads are filled with retarded drivers and bikers with no rear view mirrors.

PLanning atrip to leh after the servicing in the scorpio. I don;t forsee any hiccups. Will post a thread seperately to ask for recommendations on how t prep for the trip.

cheers
Old 20th May 2011, 18:13   #27
BHPian

Good to hear that you are enjoying your beast. Besides squeaking and rattling is there any other problem also that you would like to share? We are also considering Scorpio LX and it will be purchased once my Grande is sold off. I think in a 2-3 months we will have our Scorpio. Their is a difference of around 1.23 lakh in Scorpio LX and SLE. I think it is too much considering the features that they provide in SLE. What is your opinion?

Yesterday had gone for test drive of Scorpio. It was just amazing to drive the beast. Engine response was awesome.

Regards
HappyRoadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 07:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
We are also considering Scorpio LX and it will be purchased once my Grande is sold off. I think in a 2-3 months we will have our Scorpio. Their is a difference of around 1.23 lakh in Scorpio LX and SLE. I think it is too much considering the features that they provide in SLE. What is your opinion?
The SLE has body claddings which are pretty useful in city traffic, better quality/brand tires, fog lamps up front and most of all, ABS. If you can afford it, go for it since going by today's highways and speeds, the ABS is not only a must have but also makes life so much more easier.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 09:53   #29
BHPian

@ Prakashashutosh
The ABS is effective in cases where you brake really hard and find that your tires are locking up and the vehicle continues to slide ahead with the tires locked up, have experienced that with my older scorpion on 2 occasions. I don't think braking is an issue on the non ABS versions though.
You had mentioned about engine rattle while switching it off. I had faced the same Issue in my new M-Hawk and it was rectified by slacking and re tightening the engine mounts.
Also regarding the sound while releasing the clutch, it seems to be a normal issue, checked three other M-Hawks at the service station and all had the same sound.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy motoring with your beast and congrats on your Marriage.
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Another feature which makes the SLE preferable over the LX is the rear wash & wipe and rear demister. IMO, the rear wash & wipe is a must in the rainy season or if you drive regularly in dusty areas. For people up north, the rear demister would be invaluable during the winters.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote