Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th May 2011, 11:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio mHawk- Initial Ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The SLE has body claddings which are pretty useful in city traffic, better quality/brand tires, fog lamps up front and most of all, ABS.
While i totally agree with respect to the features including the ABS and its importance, the part i have marked in bold is not necessarily true.

My friend and fellow TBHPian who bought an SLE last November was given the same brand of tyres as those given on the LX.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 11:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My friend and fellow TBHPian who bought an SLE last November was given the same brand of tyres as those given on the LX.
Surprising, since LXs always come with JK Elanzos and SLEs and VLXs with BS Duelers. Looks like the dealer got away with giving JKs/Apollos.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 11:17   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Surprising, since LXs always come with JK Elanzos and SLEs and VLXs with BS Duelers. Looks like the dealer got away with giving JKs/Apollos.
VLXs still come with the BS Duelers, but the demarkation is quite blurred now between the LX and the SLE. You can get either on either variants.
Old 29th May 2011, 23:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Devnath, i got a SLE in December 2010 and fought with the dealer for BS, but no use. I checked all the scorpios in the yard of the dealer and only VLX had BS. LX, SLE all had JK, Applo and MRF tyres. No one had BS tyres. Also the dealer cannot change the tyres now because when the vehicle is assebled from the factory the tyre information is also there and this is part of warranty. So dealer cannot change the tyres.
scorpio_fan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 15:02   #35
BHPian

18000 Km Update

The car has been with me for just under a year now. I have driven it all over Delhi, to Jaipur, manali and a 3 day blast to Jaisalmer and back. The car continues to impress.

The good
Engine sound has settled and is now smooth with predictable power delivery. FE figures hover around 10-11 with the AC, though in the last tank full i got the worst figures of 8 kmpl, a bit of a disaster, though it was mostly 1-3 geared driving on the wonderful. joyful roads of Gurgaon. I have gotten used to the dimensions and hence am able to negotiate traffic better and quicker. Highway driving is a joy. On the drive to Jaisalmer superb performance, no issues overtaking and clocked 140 kmph on the pokhran jaisalmer stretch, though an arm rest was sorely missed on the long straight drive.
Handling in the hills is also good though the body roll is more noticeable. Climbing is not an issue, was in 3rd pretty much the whole time after crossing Bilaspur on the way up.
Never took it to Leh, went on my Royal Enfield instead
seperate thread on that

The bad
The steering seems to have some play in it, alignment constinues to be an issue. I have gotten it checked at each service and once in between. It pull son either side and then goes over a bad patch of road and is fine, i think the steering may be a little loose as opposed to the steering. Comments??

Rattles_ I did what was suggested, i spent a sunday at the service centre tightened everything, it lasted 2 hours or maybe wasn't repaired at all and then was back to its rattling self. I can live with it, I just have turn up the volume a patch more.

Mods planned:
Petes Tuning Box
Bilstein Suspension
Gren Cotton Air Filter
Borbet LV5 Alloys

COmments on the mods please??

All this in one shot so that I feel the pain of the bill only once, rather than having the pain scattered over a year or 2.

All in all no complaints, no major issues. The mrs. loves it cause it turns heads when she is driving, the parents love it cause they get free airport transfers and I love it cause its my metal shell where i can jump in turn on some jazz and munch on them miles...

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2011 at 17:36. Reason: Dotty posts, please use proper punctuation instead of ..... Thanks.
prakashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 22:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
18000 Km Update

The car has been with me for just under a year now. I have driven it all over Delhi, to Jaipur, manali and a 3 day blast to Jaisalmer and back. The car continues to impress.
Wishing you many more miles of enjoyment with the vehicle. It is really a lot of fun to drive both in the city and the highway.

Quote:
Handling in the hills is also good though the body roll is more noticeable.
There is some jugaad that you can do to reduce the roll. Put heavy luggage or dead weights at the back (3rd row), 50kg - 100kg. Yesterday I was carrying 5 plants in midsize flower pots back from a nursery and could notice the reduction of body roll.

Quote:
Rattles_ I did what was suggested, i spent a sunday at the service centre tightened everything, it lasted 2 hours or maybe wasn't repaired at all and then was back to its rattling self. I can live with it, I just have turn up the volume a patch more.
Rattling from which places ?

Quote:
Bilstein Suspension
Gren Cotton Air Filter
Borbet LV5 Alloys

COmments on the mods please??
I have heard Bilsteins can give a stiff ride but also reduce body roll. Never tried them myself though. There is also the Bilstein B16 RideControl stuff which is an active suspension setup that can be switched between comfort and sports mode on the fly. It will blow a hole in your pocket though.

Also check out the Konig Locknload alloy design.
moinakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 08:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RATTLES !! I have ranted about this on other Scorpio threads too. My biggest gripe is the odo's plastic panel vibrating. An irritating one at it , have tried fixing it and decided that its best I concentrate on the music than this small niggle.

Quote:
Mods planned:
Petes Tuning Box
Bilstein Suspension
Gren Cotton Air Filter
Borbet LV5 Alloys
1 - Check this tuning box Chiptuning RaceChip - Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mhawk CRDe, 2179ccm, 87kW (ca.118PS)

Much cheaper than Pete's.

2 - Someone had installed this on this forum, cant quite remember.
3 - Dont think this is gonna boost your performance in anyways.
4 - Would love to know who is sourcing these wheels for you and at what price ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 12:49   #38
BHPian

I agree with you on the green cotton airfilter...
I would still go ahead with Petes-PSI tuning bax for the sake of familiarity and reliability...

The borbet wheel in the finish I had mentioned (LV5) are not avilable through petes (checked with them via email). Will have to look at importing them directly. Else will have to settle for another finish from borbet or another make altogether. I am in Delhi so i will be visiting autopsyche and performance zone to get an idea of what options I have on the wheels

I have zeroed in on the suspension the bilstein b6. There is someone who has posted a thread on bilstein on a scorpio but it was for a 2004 non crde leaf spring set up...i don't know if that review would hold water for the independent and multilink on the mhawk. I have confirmed from petes that the bilstein setup for the scorpio mhawk is available.

As for the rattles...i checked everything, the jumper seats, head rests, speakers, doors, door panels, front console...everyhthing was tightened...but it still rattles...I guess i should add a bass tube to the list of to-buys I drove a 39k run fortuner and there was not a single sound that car made that wasn't accounted for...its was superb....I believe the xuv500 is in that league as well...lets hope some of it rubs off on the scorp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
RATTLES !! I have ranted about this on other Scorpio threads too. My biggest gripe is the odo's plastic panel vibrating. An irritating one at it , have tried fixing it and decided that its best I concentrate on the music than this small niggle.

1 - Check this tuning box Chiptuning RaceChip - Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mhawk CRDe, 2179ccm, 87kW (ca.118PS)

Much cheaper than Pete's.

2 - Someone had installed this on this forum, cant quite remember.
3 - Dont think this is gonna boost your performance in anyways.
4 - Would love to know who is sourcing these wheels for you and at what price ?
Old 11th October 2011, 05:54   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I've noticed that on my Scorp as well, just that its not consistent at all. It happens sometimes, and sometimes the vehicle is so damn quiet it makes me wonder if its a petrol.

Some padding where the plastic panel meets the steering column may help. Yet to try that though.

Quote:
18000 Km Update

The good
Engine sound has settled and is now smooth with predictable power delivery. FE figures hover around 10-11 with the AC, though in the last tank full i got the worst figures of 8 kmpl, a bit of a disaster, though it was mostly 1-3 geared driving on the wonderful. joyful roads of Gurgaon. I have gotten used to the dimensions and hence am able to negotiate traffic better and quicker.

Highway driving is a joy. On the drive to Jaisalmer superb performance, no issues overtaking and clocked 140 kmph on the pokhran jaisalmer stretch, though an arm rest was sorely missed on the long straight drive.
I quite agree with your observations.

As for the arm rest, why dont you consider adding one as aftermarket? I am considering the same myself. I noticed that the seat does have the provision to mount them, even on the LX.

That said, its been over a year and 18,000 kms, and still not a single pic of your Scorpio on this ownership thread?! Its always nice to see another LX.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:44   #40
BHPian

I hear you on the pics benbsb. I shal put some up tonight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I've noticed that on my Scorp as well, just that its not consistent at all. It happens sometimes, and sometimes the vehicle is so damn quiet it makes me wonder if its a petrol.

Some padding where the plastic panel meets the steering column may help. Yet to try that though.

I quite agree with your observations.

As for the arm rest, why dont you consider adding one as aftermarket? I am considering the same myself. I noticed that the seat does have the provision to mount them, even on the LX.

That said, its been over a year and 18,000 kms, and still not a single pic of your Scorpio on this ownership thread?! Its always nice to see another LX.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:16   #41
BANNED

There seems to be no proper solution to the classic mahindra 'rattling' problems. Not only mahindra, Tata as well as Maruti cannot cease the problem once and for all. There have been numerous occasions where I have taken these type of problems to the Tata and Maruti *** for my cars, but no proper steps were taken.
Not only the Scorp, but even the recently launched XUV 5OO seems to have the same problems. I recently test drove one and was shocked to hear rattles and creaks from a vehicle that had just 300 odd kilometres on the Odo.
@prakashutosh - Do keep us updated if you manage to find a solution to your problems. It would help a lot of us.
Frisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:50   #42
BHPian

Photos of the scorp taken in jaisalmer
Attached Images