Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st January 2011, 20:20   #1
BHPian

Default A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)

A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)-dsc_0535.jpg
Simply put, the Fiesta 1.6 S is an amazing car. Period.

The buying of the Fiesta 1.6 S

I had already decided, I think 2 years back, that if I'd buy a car, it would be something like the Fiesta 1.6S or something better.
Thanks to T-Bhp for all the reviews!

After Fiat announced the T-Jet, I was extremely happy about a new age Turbo-petrol car! However, on enquiry, it would be a little expensive, plus, Fiat weren't sure when they'd get it out. Next, I went to VW for the Polo 1.6. 6-8 months waiting period, and I came to Ford for the Fiesta.

Metro Ford (Palace cross, B'lore) gave me an SXI version. But, I was adamant to test drive the 1.6 S. So, called up Lathangi. Buggers have an Aqua Blue 1.6 S for Test drive! What a car! The moment I stepped on the throttle, I knew this would be the car I'd buy!

Dealer experience

Lathangi, where I booked the car beginning Sep '10 said the car would be there by 27th Sept! On 27th, I was told it'd be at-least a week late. Then, finally I got it on 18th Oct! The price had increased by ~9k after I paid the full amount on 27th Sep. So, had to fight a lot to get that waived off! Had to pay ~4k extra for Car cover, 3M sun-films and boot space rubber mat.
I paid a little less than 8L for the car after supplier discount. This includes insurance which I got done privately, at 6k cheaper than the dealer quotation. Overall dealer experience was bad, since I had to fight quite a bit and finally I didn't want to take delivery in a bad mood, so I just said ok to their nonsense.

The Car
A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)-dsc_0558.jpg
I'd like to congratulate Ford for having put together this awesome piece of machinery. It is simply the best one can ask for, especially at its price.
Its a drivers car from the first step. Ultimate. It is so brilliant that my friends and I refer to it as a poor man's BMW!!

The build quality is pretty good. The 1.6 S has a very to-the-point interiors. No fancy shiny stuff to distract you from driving. No biege! No seat cover, but, the seat fabric is top notch and very well stitched. All in all it is good.

I can't stop praising its driveability! The Engine is an absolute gem! Throttle response is nothing short of outstanding. And the way she handles corners is simply mind-blasting! I just can't stop talking about it! The ride is so composed. The turns on the golden quad road can be hit even at 140 kmph without so much as a nervous wobble. On hilly roads, its such a joy to drive! The steering is amazingly good! You can accelerate around corners on twisty roads confidently, whilst being generous on the throttle. I even let out an involuntary gasp of excitement when I hit a zig-zag today enroute Elagiri. Simply put, the Fiesta 1.6 S is an amazing car. Period.

Cons

- I feel the idling sound is a little noisy. It reminds me of a diesel car.
- Sometimes, it take a little longer to start upon cranking - almost 1-2 seconds. Very annoying, especially when you are trying to start from a signal. More so since you have to witch off the ign key completely before cranking again.
- Stock Audio system is decent compared to the 'junk' given by many other OEMs. However, I'd have preferred a little flexibility in upgrading to something of my choice (with a Sub) without threats to warranty.
- Engine Hood opening lever on passenger side and Indicator and Wiper switches as per left hand drive.

Pros
+ Engine
+ Throttle response
+ No-nonsense interiors
Given the amazing driveability, I'm ready to live with these small cons.

Speed, efficiency et all

Right from the first week of purchase, I've hit the highway.

First trip was covering Mysore, Nanjangud and Gopalswami betta. The car was still in run-in. Hence the driving was at 80 kmph. Night driving on the Bangalore Mysore highway gives ample room for some conservative driving.
Distance = 532 kms
Fuel spent = 32 Lt
Efficiency = 16.6 kmpl
Top speed = 100 kmph, when there was some negative gradient.
Rpm = 2500 rpm was never crossed!

Second trip was to Chennai. Onward was still within run-in and hence same conservative driving. However, during return, I was more liberal. Reaching 100s and 120s. I did red line the engine many times accelerating out of the toll booths.
Distance = 668 kms
Fuel spent = 41 Lt
Efficiency = 16.2 kmpl
Top speed = 140 kmph
Max rpm = red line
Avg rpm = 3000

Third trip was to Elagiri. This time, it was more normal driving since odo showed 2300 kms.
Distance = 400
Fuel spent = 28
Efficiency = 14.2 kmpl
Top speed = ~170 kmph
Cruising speed = 120 kmph
Avg rpm = 3500
Many many red line breaches on 1st + 2nd gears, sometimes to the point of safety fuel-cut!

In the city, the avg fuel consumption was 10.5 kmpl. I don't drive much in the city. More than 50% of the 2700 kms covered has been on highways until now.

So, I'm more than happy with the FE! Quite amazing for a 1.6 Liter naturally aspirated petrol engine I'd say. Given the driving comfort, top speed, acceleration, handling and everything else, this is the car if you are looking for a sedan in the sub 10-lakh class.

I'm really really happy with the car. Looking forward for the first free service in a couple of weeks.

A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)-dsc_0553.jpg
lambdaplus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:19   #2
BHPian

Default Re: A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)

Kudos on getting an amazing driver's car there.
The S is sure a looker, let alone being a hoot to drive.

Did you get a chance to drive the T-Jet? I'm asking it since your signature tilts towards it.

Have a bla"S"t with the 1.6!
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Congrats buddy on your purchase.

The black S looks hot, just wish they hadn't discontinued the aquarius blue.

How much overall did you pay and what freebies did you get?
Avinash_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: A poor man's BMW - Fiesta 1.6 S (2500 kms report)

@lambdaplus,

Although I was thrilled to see a black "S", but was sad to read you referring to it a poor man's BMW. I personally think the S has its own aura which cannot be compared.

Anyways congratulations, the S looks superb in black. A few more pics would allows us to drool more of the beast.

Al the best, keep revving and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Lambdaplus!
Happy new year to you and hearty congratulations on your new 1.6S! It's a gem of a car really in all departments, looks, power, fun, features. Wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles with her.

Do keep more pictures and regular updates coming...
And welcome to TBHP

Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:17   #6
BHPian

In my excitement, I forgot to wish you all a very happy and awesome new year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Did you get a chance to drive the T-Jet? I'm asking it since your signature tilts towards it.
Thanks Jayded! The 1.6 S is truly a hoot!
I haven't yet gotten a chance to drive the T-Jet. But, I'm inclined to believe that it would be better, especially, since it has a Turbo and also GTO's approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post

The black S looks hot, just wish they hadn't discontinued the aquarius blue.
How much overall did you pay and what freebies did you get?
Oh yes! The Aqua blue was the best... Black is the best of the rest!

The cost equations are a bit confusing.
Initial quote = 8.72 L with free insurance. (normal quotation given when you go first, without any discount)

Supplier discount = 7.8 L without insurance (includes registration and misc)
I paid 19k for the insurance, from a known agent.

but, Lathangi delayed the delivery after having taken full payment and on delivery date, they said the cost had gone up by 9k.

I had to fight to get this extra off and they agreed to bear only 50% of this extra cost. So, I paid 4.5k extra and in lieu, I had to pester them for sun-film, car cover and boot mat, along with the essentials pack.

So, overall, I got the car for just about 8L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@lambdaplus,

Although I was thrilled to see a black "S", but was sad to read you referring to it a poor man's BMW. I personally think the S has its own aura which cannot be compared.
@Ghodlur, I totally agree with you!! The S has its own flair! But, the comparison was a naive one! In fact, a friend refers to it as 1.6 S(akkat). Sakkat is a Kannada word for superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey Lambdaplus!
Happy new year to you and hearty congratulations on your new 1.6S!

Do keep more pictures and regular updates coming...
And welcome to TBHP
Thanks Reinhard!
Yes, more and more pictures will follow as and when I go on board the machine conquering road after road!
lambdaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Ah the 1.6S. I've had the opportunity to drive the 1.6ZXi considerably and can imagine what the same engine in a slightly better state of tune can do!! Congrats on the buy. You are driving the car like it needs to be driven, and the FE amazes me. Keep the thread updated
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:00   #8
BHPian

awesome bro... I have always loved the looks of 1.6 S.

Good purchase... drive her carefully and get services done on time.
taranonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:42   #9
BANNED

Congrats on the S. I though it was discontinued.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 17:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice ownership write up.
And congratulations becoming a happy Fiesta Owner.
Enjoy - safe Drive...
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 18:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the S club mate!

Drive safe!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 22:31   #12
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys!!
@anachronix, Thanks to your post I took the Sport, in Black colour!
Old 4th January 2011, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Lambadplus on your brand new Ford Fiest 1.6 S.

You've got yourself the 2nd best drivers car this side of 10 lakhs. (Yes, in my books - the first place goes to Fiat Linea 1.4 T-Jet. )

Why did you attach an out-of-focus image in the beginning of the post? Hmmm, let me guess, was it a teaser?

Anyway, I'm looking forward for your regular updates as you drive more miles. Please upload more pics too.

Wish you many many happy miles and a happy ownership too. Drive safe.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 23:11   #14
BHPian

I own a Fiesta 1.6S as well, in Sea Grey, and I can well relate to your excitement whenever you step on that gas pedal. Its addictive!

By the way, which tints are those? Can I have the brand and specs?

Most importantly, drive safely, you wouldn't want your baby to get hurt, would you?
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 22:30   #15
BHPian

@Klub Class, the 1.6 S is the 1st best in the sub 9 lakh segment na!
yeah! the out of focus image is for a video like start! Just imagine some distortion guitar in the background and slowly the 1.6S comes into focus and the story unveils!

@abhipuru16, The tints are from 3M. I told the dealer that I need the darkest tint legally allowed, but that guy seems to have given me the lightest!
But its not bad until now! I can see my side view mirror even in the night!

@all, Photo updates will happen in a month or so since some more trips are on the cards!