Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th January 2011, 13:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My Skoda Yeti: just the right amount of SUV !

Congrats on your buy, so finally you laid hands on the Yeti! Nice color selection as well and i'm sure the car will serve you well with its go anywhere characteristics and diesel economy.
55 psi tyre pressure at the time of the delivery was atrocious!
ashish22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 11:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your very informative post. Looks like skoda shield covers all major parts under warranty. Have heard a lot of things about skodas malfunctioning and certain parts giving a lot of trouble. Actually i think it is mostly because these cars have a lot more electronics in them compared to other vehicles. And ofcourse if there are more electricals there are more chances of a malfunction. I have even heard of a lot of reliability issues for mercs and bws alike. As a poster on this thread mentioned. These probems are most likely to only crop up after 5 years. But i actually plan to keep the car for 7 - 8 years. I am totally confused and cant really decide what to do.

Am still waiting on the sidelines with this one. Look forward to hearing more about the a.s.s experience do keep all of us posted.

Till then happy motoring with your respective baby beasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
The operational cost of a vehicle occurs on the following counts:

1. FE
2. Service life of various components
3. The frequency of visits to dealers
4. Malfunction of parts
5. Accident repairs

If one was to analyse each of these components, I find that:

1. Yeti returns perhaps highest FE of any SUV. In fact it beats most Sedans in FE. Coupled with cheaper diesel, as it takes standard diesel (not premium), the expense on account of fuel itself is nearly 50% less than other vehicles. Even when I compre with Jazz the potential savings on this count is of the order Rs 2.0 per kilometer. Therefore one would save Rs 30,000 between two services.

2. A visit to service station nearly always costs money, because the vendor attempts to make money, not only on labour, oil and parts, but also attempts to push all kinds products.

The visits for service are 15,000 km as opposed to 5,000 km for other cars. One would save at least Rs 10,000 (on account of skipping two services in any other comparable car) between the services.

Total savings between the services would therefore be at least Rs 40,000. I don't see how the maintenance/service cost could exceed this amount. If that is the case, then the service and maintenance is virtually free.

Further:

3. Service life of various components (as per the sevice schedule in the manual) is surprisingly huge. Virtually no component is due for change in the first 60,000 km. Minor components require change over 1,00,000 km.

Having perused the Yeti manual, I feel that maintenance costs are going to be pretty reasonable. Yeti is required to visit the showroom only once a year or 15,000 km. The oil change interval is also 15,000 km as per the manual. (Although some BHPians have advised a more frequent oil change.)

4. Malfunction of parts (whcih could be exhorbitant) is another cause for concern. However these are covered under Skoda Shield for four years/1,00,000 km.

5. Accidental repairs are taken care of by Skoda Assure which is basically a zero depreciation insurance.

So there should be no nasty surprises (at least in theory) on count replacement/repairs of parts.

Considering the above Yeti appears like VFM for ownership experience.

Owners of Laura who have opted for these options could perhaps add their experience and expectations to make the picture more clear.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:07   #33
Team-BHP Support

Gorgeous car and great colour choice! ManU- congrats!

I can't get over those absolutely lipsmacking interiors. They beat even the Laura hollow. This is one car that should do well!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 21:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thanks for your very informative post. Looks like skoda shield covers all major parts under warranty. Have heard a lot of things about skodas malfunctioning and certain parts giving a lot of trouble. Actually i think it is mostly because these cars have a lot more electronics in them compared to other vehicles. And ofcourse if there are more electricals there are more chances of a malfunction. I have even heard of a lot of reliability issues for mercs and bws alike. As a poster on this thread mentioned. These probems are most likely to only crop up after 5 years. But i actually plan to keep the car for 7 - 8 years. I am totally confused and cant really decide what to do.

Am still waiting on the sidelines with this one. Look forward to hearing more about the a.s.s experience do keep all of us posted.

Till then happy motoring with your respective baby beasts.
These cars can turn expensive post warranty - parts will be expensive, Rs.50,000 bill should not shock you :-) Consumables, etc. are reasonably priced, but replacing parts when needed can hurt. Still.. while the going is good, these cars are awesome to own and drive and definitely worth going for if one can afford some extra cash and loves cars.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 17:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase GloryManUnited !!

I had the privilage of testing out the YETI yesterday. It was the ambiente model, elegance not in stock.

The car drives just like the Laura diesel, silky smooth, refined, no turbo lag, fast.

Top notch gear shift, the audio is a single CD setup with decent audio quality. The park assist is nice and accurate.

Front seats are nice and comfortable, rear seat essentially to accomodate 2 adults & a child, 3 adults would be a severe push.

It has car like driving dynamics, does not feel like an SUV from any angle, acceptable ground clearance.

The self engaging 4x4 is interesting, thought I did not get an opportunity to test it !!

All in all a nice package ! And yes the Red on display did look nice !

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 19:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I figured out one way to avoid stalls in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Just release the clutch without acceleration. The car sticks to 9 kmph on the 1st gear. It always sticks to this speed so I am begining to think this is a feature. Of-course if you want to launch into higher speeds then the regular clutch-accelerator combo is required.
Congrats on the purchase and the color looks lovely.

Anyways are you saying the car always will maintain 9kmph in the first gear even when full clutch released? It wont stall at all?
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 23:16   #37
BHPian

OT: Yay ! I finally figured out how to multi-quote in team-bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
That is an interesting suggestion. The scratch in the roof rail is minimal. I will ask the dealer if they will just screw the new one on. Otherwise I don't really mind living with the scratched one. The last thing I want is rattles due to this minor change !
So I decided to not get the roof-rails changed afterall. The scratch is hardly visible unless you look at it from above the vehicle.

Quote:
Congratulations on the purchase GloryManUnited !!

I had the privilage of testing out the YETI yesterday. It was the ambiente model, elegance not in stock.

The car drives just like the Laura diesel, silky smooth, refined, no turbo lag, fast.

Top notch gear shift, the audio is a single CD setup with decent audio quality. The park assist is nice and accurate.

Cheers
The elegance trim has the "skoda bolero" audio instead of the "skoda swing" audio on the ambiente. You should check that out too. I am sure you will like its quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Congrats on the purchase and the color looks lovely.

Anyways are you saying the car always will maintain 9kmph in the first gear even when full clutch released? It wont stall at all?
Thanks and a big thanks to all the other posters sending across their best wishes as well. These days when I am inching forward in slow traffic I have almost completely stopped using the accelerator. Shift to first and roll at 9 kmph; shift to second and roll at 19 kmph. Clutch and brakes are all I need at these speeds. I haven't stalled at all these last 2 days
GloryManUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 23:36   #38
BHPian

There is a nit that I hadn't mentioned earlier.The radio antenna that extends from the rear-top of the car increases the height by another feet. So if you are moving in a low-ceiling basement, then it has a tendency to scrape the ceiling. It is a flexible piece of equipment so I am hoping it will never break due to this. Fingers crossed though.

Also by default, auto door lock is disabled. I was so used to this in my earlier car that the lack of this feature used to trouble me on the Yeti. I finally figured out that this can be enabled from the MFD. So now when I start the car and travel faster than 15 kmph, auto lock snaps on !

Another cool thing is that you can use the MFD setting to lock the 2 OVRMs such that they will adjust in tandem when electrically adjusted. Infact this was the default. Handy little feature when you want to focus on the kerb while parking.

The courtesy lights that come up when you are in the car but the ignition is off is awesome. The whole cabin basks in its inviting glow and this is extremely useful while boarding or getting off. The lights fade in and fade out and this adds to the drama. Quite nifty.

The ability of this car to overtake in city traffic is shocking. Just a press of the A pedal in 3rd or 4th gear and by the time your gaze reaches the mirrors, other vehicles are but a fast disappearing speck

The clutch is a little firmer than what I remember was the case in the TD vehicle. Wonder if the service center can do something about it.

I am at 500 km mark so as many more to go before the run-in is done. If I read the manual correctly, I am supposed to red-line often in the 1000-1500 km period. That I like
Old 11th January 2011, 07:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a nit that I hadn't mentioned earlier.The radio antenna that extends from the rear-top of the car increases the height by another feet. So if you are moving in a low-ceiling basement, then it has a tendency to scrape the ceiling. It is a flexible piece of equipment so I am hoping it will never break due to this. Fingers crossed though.
I am not sure how the antenna will cope with if you are doing any fwd/reverse parking maneuver in a low-ceiling basement. I wish Skoda came with 'shark/bmw' like antenna. There is a trend of multi-level parking facilities in Bangalore and this antenna is a pain. I think Superb comes with such antenna, but not other models.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been good alternatives for so very long that I wonder why any car is still fitted with long-stick type antenna
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:26   #41
BHPian

@GloryManUnited: Do you work in a company called Ne**pp in Bangalore? I work there and have been seeing a red Yeti in our parking for the past few days so just wondering! The car looks just awesome in flesh! Congrats on a terrific buy.
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also by default, auto door lock is disabled. I was so used to this in my earlier car that the lack of this feature used to trouble me on the Yeti. I finally figured out that this can be enabled from the MFD. So now when I start the car and travel faster than 15 kmph, auto lock snaps on !

Another cool thing is that you can use the MFD setting to lock the 2 OVRMs such that they will adjust in tandem when electrically adjusted. Infact this was the default. Handy little feature when you want to focus on the kerb while parking.

The courtesy lights that come up when you are in the car but the ignition is off is awesome. The whole cabin basks in its inviting glow and this is extremely useful while boarding or getting off. The lights fade in and fade out and this adds to the drama. Quite nifty.

The ability of this car to overtake in city traffic is shocking. Just a press of the A pedal in 3rd or 4th gear and by the time your gaze reaches the mirrors, other vehicles are but a fast disappearing speck

The clutch is a little firmer than what I remember was the case in the TD vehicle. Wonder if the service center can do something about it.

I am at 500 km mark so as many more to go before the run-in is done. If I read the manual correctly, I am supposed to red-line often in the 1000-1500 km period. That I like

Surprising you have the Octavia kind of antenna ! As the car I test drove is with a minor 2" antenna at the rear a la BMW

Dont worry on the antenna though - my Octavia has the same contraption, and it has survived 5+ years. It is totally flexible - do not sweat buddy - enjoy your car !

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 22:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
@GloryManUnited: Do you work in a company called Ne**pp in Bangalore? I work there and have been seeing a red Yeti in our parking for the past few days so just wondering! The car looks just awesome in flesh! Congrats on a terrific buy.
Thanks ! Nope don't work for Ne**pp. Which office facility are you referring too? Must be a second red yeti doing the rounds !

Quote:
Surprising you have the Octavia kind of antenna ! As the car I test drove is with a minor 2" antenna at the rear a la BMW

Dont worry on the antenna though - my Octavia has the same contraption, and it has survived 5+ years. It is totally flexible - do not sweat buddy - enjoy your car !

Cheers
Good to hear that your car's antenna did not break and that a small 2 inch antenna can possibly be fitted !

I tried a little experiment today. I wanted to see how fast can the Yeti be driven without touching the accelerator. So I started from standstill and then slotted first. 9 kmph. Without pressing the A-pedal I slotted the 2nd. Still no accelerator and the car settled at 19kmph. Slotted the 3rd. STALL. So the conclusion is that the car can be driven in 1st and 2nd gear without using the accelerator. Just the hack needed to overcome the stalling issues in bumper to bumper traffic. I am quite adept at this by now.

Last edited by GloryManUnited : 11th January 2011 at 22:52. Reason: typo
Old 11th January 2011, 23:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Which office facility are you referring too? Must be a second red yeti doing the rounds !
I was referring to the EGL complex.
So if you start the car, slot the gear into first and just leave the clutch the car does NOT stall and starts chugging along at 9kmph?! That's AT like behavior. Are you sure you can do this from standstill? If yes, that's a very clever touch to manage city driving in India.
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 10:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:

When I TD'd the Yeti, I particularly didn't like the clutch as compared to my car. If was not firm, a bit loose and vibrating a bit, was told the diesels are that way. By firm, what do you mean, is it heavy?

IIRC, the manual states the revvs must not exceed 3/4th of the engine speed, which is considered from the start of the red line. Post 1000 kms, it must be slowly taken to its full engine speed which again is upto red line is my assumption. Correct me if I am wrong but red line is prohibitive area till 2000 kms. If its otherwise, I am the happiest person in this world.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote