Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th January 2011, 23:23   #46
BHPian

Default Re: The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
Now, this is good to hear. A rattle free mahindra. The maruti's have this huge problem of rattles even in the initial stages. The xylo has begun to impress me.
Even we were very very apprehensive initially. But Mahindra has really strived hard to make a product that is a worthy contender against the doyens on the international scene. I must say, with my initial impressions and by the largely delighted owners in our forum, they have suceeded in a big way.
No wonder you see so many of their vehicles on the roads.

Some traits i have noticed.
I thought that hyundai's diesel engines are always powerful. Now i will add mahindra to that group, since their engines are a driver's delight too.

Mahindras offer a lot of creature comforts in their cars which gives a lot of feel good factor.

To keep costs down, they compromise on the interior plastics and the quality of the seat frames and levers which are more like our inter city 'Air buses' than cars,
igp_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 23:53   #47
BHPian

Hi igp,
congrats on your new Xylo!

Am also evaluating Xylo, (have started a thread also). not yet decided whether to go in for a D2 variant or the E4. My budget is around 8L. and in bangalore, the E4 OTR is around 8.75.

Did u by any chance evaulate the D2 variant ? Also, in E4, when you brake hard @ 80+ speed, does the vehicle move/jerk to one side ? one of my friends were complaining about this. What is your experience on this ? Also is XYLO suitable for daily commuting to office/home in bumper-to-bumper traffic ?

Thanks!
haria
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:58   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Even we were very very apprehensive initially. But Mahindra has really strived hard to make a product that is a worthy contender against the doyens on the international scene. I must say, with my initial impressions and by the largely delighted owners in our forum, they have suceeded in a big way.
No wonder you see so many of their vehicles on the roads.

Some traits i have noticed.
I thought that hyundai's diesel engines are always powerful. Now i will add mahindra to that group, since their engines are a driver's delight too.

Mahindras offer a lot of creature comforts in their cars which gives a lot of feel good factor.

To keep costs down, they compromise on the interior plastics and the quality of the seat frames and levers which are more like our inter city 'Air buses' than cars,
You are right. Mahindra has compromised on the interior plastics quality etc, but this is of little concern to us, because the top variant of the xylo, the xylo e8, is 4.5 lacs cheaper than the innova v variant in mumbai. Plus, the xylo is much quicker than the innova, it is more fuel efficient than the innova and where it steals the deal, is the comfort.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 16:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hi igp,

Am also evaluating Xylo, (have started a thread also). not yet decided whether to go in for a D2 variant or the E4. My budget is around 8L. and in bangalore, the E4 OTR is around 8.75.

Did u by any chance evaulate the D2 variant ? Also, in E4, when you brake hard @ 80+ speed, does the vehicle move/jerk to one side ? one of my friends were complaining about this. What is your experience on this ? Also is XYLO suitable for daily commuting to office/home in bumper-to-bumper traffic ?

Thanks!
haria
Hi,
Sorry. i haven't tested the D2 variant. It is I think the first gen Crdi mill from Mahindra. I tried to look up the 0-100 and in gear acceleration timings. I couldn't find any in autocar india.
Because of the soft suspension, when you brake abruptly from high speeds the vehicle tends to rock a bit. Not alarming, but it is better to brake and corner a little sedately. But jerking or vibrations, no. Probaly your friend should take the vehicle to the service centre and sort it out. This month's autocar india has a longterm report of the xylo. They mention that they had a brake locking problem which was rectified at service. Probably your friend has a similar problem with one of the brakes locking up?
Actually the front end of the Xylo has a rather short snout more like a small car. Compared to this, the old Honda city had a much longer hood. So directing the car in dense traffic is not all that difficult. She has fantastic turning radius too. The low end power delivery is good making it easy in stop start conditions. But the moment you think of parking her somewhere, you will wish you hadn't come into the city to that fancy restaurant in the first place. She is a handful, even with the nice parking sensors.

Last edited by igp_79 : 22nd January 2011 at 16:28.
igp_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 08:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Thanks a million for the interest all you guys.

My FE is around 9kpl as showed by the DDAS. Is it accurate? Will this improve after a proper run in, say 3000 km later?
=========
@IGP_79: do not rely on DDAS's FE. It keeps gauging based on many parameters on a periodic interval - but its just averaging for that stretch. At the next move the number would again change !
Recently, I was on doing 60-70 at a somewhat clear road at night and I switched the DDAS for FE - voila it kept increasing till 27 !! but all that is momentarily as I said earlier and not to be relied upon.

On my one I noticed, at cold start the display 'sticks' to a particular number and I generally Reset to keep it 'alive' (its like in earlier days you tap the TV set to get a clear reception !). Best method to measure FE is the full-tank. FE would surely better after the 1st service @ 5000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hi igp,
=======
Also is XYLO suitable for daily commuting to office/home in bumper-to-bumper traffic ?

Thanks!
haria
@Haria: Xylo is wonderful for such traffic, I do that daily on my E6. The low-end torque is very useful and the small turning radius is amazing. You'll soon get the right judgment of the vehicle on road within a few days.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 09:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Good to know classact that you and your family is enjoying your xylo, and congrats for your purchase as well.

I see that was your first post too, so my warm welcome to you as an active member.

What were your reasons for going with E6 instead of E8 and E4? Any pros and cons we need to consider?
Hey BlueJay, Sorry for the late reply.
Here are the points that I considered while deciding to go for E6 instead of E4. You wouldn't believe, I initially decided for D2(I liked the power delivery. It looked a better city driver during the test drive. May be since it had leaner tyres), then moved up and bought E6. Seriously considered E8 & Celeberation edition but dropped because of budget constraint.
ORVM - electric adjustable.
Grill - painted (body coloured)
Door handles, ORVM, step - painted (body coloured)
Ski rack
side rubrails with chrome insert.
Front Fog lamps
Rear Foglamps
DDAS
Arm rest (driver, passenger, middle row - captain seats and last row seats)
Park assist
AC power outlet - front and middle row.
Also I liked the black-grey combination.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 11:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Exactly pranav, Even I get 16-17 on highways. Nice to know that there is a company in that range.

Simple stick to constant speed between 80-100kmph IMO
That is the kind of FE i am getting too in that revv band. If you push her to 110-120kmph , then the FE drops to 13.5 to 14.5.
I believe these figures are accurate accounts for the mEagle 2.5 motor in xylo.
I wonder what the m2di would give in the same driving conditions ?
In the city run, ( mumbai & navi mumbai ) i consistently get 11.5 to 12.5 on 100% AC.
I am pleasantly ,surprised at the fuel efficiency of this mahindra , considering the low ARAI ratings for this motor ( i believe its 12.69kmpl or something like that) and considering how nippy this motor is.
Mahindra has reallly come a long way from making cheap agricultural products. The engine and drivetrain tech. is slowly up with the best in business , specially at a much higher price point.
The RIDE QUALITY is very poor though.
My friend has a 2.2 vtt safari ( 5 yr. old) still rides like a dream as compared to my 2010 april xylo which many would say is as good as new.
Looks may or may not grow on you , but quality ,efficiency , reliability in a vehicle is priceless.
i wish the xylo had ride quality half as good as safari. having owned a safari earlier i am happy for the value the xylo brings in terms of the powerful and efficient motor. and sorely miss the ride quality of safari.
The biggest problem with xylo is that the suspension is not as progressive vis a vis loading ( NUMBER OF PASSENGERS ).
If you are owner driver driving alone most of the time and not ferrying the 7 odd people , the xylo lurches , rolls, bucks in slow speed on bad city roads and bumps. Add to that, the spongy seats with spring like feel and the seat foundation with play in the guides ( front seats ) which rocks a bit. so the car is moving in one direction the seats are rolling in other ( this is exaggerated in theory but very real ). Very poor lumbar support in my car ( I have a E6 ) MAKES MATTERS WORSE.
Spoils the ownership experience somewhat of an otherwise competent car.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 1st February 2013 at 11:23.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 16:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
the seat foundation with play in the guides ( front seats ) which rocks a bit. so the car is moving in one direction the seats are rolling in other ( this is exaggerated in theory but very real ). Very poor lumbar support in my car ( I have a E6 ) MAKES MATTERS WORSE.
Spoils the ownership experience somewhat of an otherwise competent car.
I have seen almost 10-12 XYLO's but never seen this type of issue. May be the seat holding bolts are lose and hence you might be facing this issue IMO. Just get it checked up once. You are right on the mileage part with the speed.

How much has your truck done till date?
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 21:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
I have seen almost 10-12 XYLO's but never seen this type of issue. May be the seat holding bolts are lose and hence you might be facing this issue IMO. Just get it checked up once. You are right on the mileage part with the speed.

How much has your truck done till date?
In fact most of the xylos i have seen have had had this rocking front seat issue. apart from spongy seats with poor lumbar support.
Since i have a back problem, i end up using the logan much more owing to its superior ride quality and excellent seats.
My xylo has crossed 51k some time back.
Seat holding bolts are tight, but the guides have some play specially the door side one.... i have seen 2 td vehicles at G3 motors also to have this same issue. When Asked about ,the sales advisor had brushed it off, stating td vehicles are badly used and due for servicing ( though both the cars one D4 nad one E8 were fairly new).
My vehicle is lovingly maintained but still has a few creaks.
BTW a long pipe used to connect the both side brackets is of such abysmal quality, it has broken in both logan and xylo. same gauge in both the pipes. have had to weld the piece thrice in logan and once in xylo.
most xylos doing the tourist runs have creaking driver's seat.
i believe, this weak pipe is the culprit.
also i have noticed TATA , MAHINDRA AND MARUTI are such 'EL CHEAPOS' that the seat compound quality changes as per variants. And you may notice that the seats of top variants are much firmer compound used.
Its long lasting and retains it shape over longer time duration.

So the seat compound of E8 also could be better than say D4/E4 apart from the fabric quality used for upholstery. The door trims of e8 would be thicker and better for wear than the ones in D4/E4 which are likely to make more noise over time.
The VW /HYUNDAI have the same quality of seat compound over all variants. But not so for our homegrown makers.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Funnily, the seats of many a car in India are manufactured by Tata Johnson Controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Since i have a back problem, i end up using the logan much more owing to its superior ride quality and excellent seats.
Have you thought of changing the seat itself ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Funnily, the seats of many a car in India are manufactured by Tata Johnson Controls.Have you thought of changing the seat itself ?
Yeah I did. Thought of buying tata safari front seats and get the base modified. But that would yet not make the xylo ride like safari. Started wearing a lumbar belt every time I drive the xylo.

Also the safari seats would look stupid in the xylo and the ergonomic would get messed up.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th February 2013 at 19:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote