Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th January 2011, 10:27   #1
BHPian

Default Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of this forum for quite some time now. Have greatly enjoyed reading the reviews and ownership experiences of fellow bhpians. Thought I might write my initial review of the Indigo Manza.

BUYING EXPERIENCE:

The vehicle was actually a wedding gift for my cousin. We had short listed the Ford Figo and the Hyundai i10. Had nearly booked the Ford Figo when a friend of mine suggested that I have a look at the Indigo Manza before finalizing anything. Did a quick research on the internet (Manza reviews and ownership experiences on T-BHP helped a lot) and decided to try the Manza out. Called up a friend working at TATA sales and told him we wanted a test drive of the Indigo Manza. He obliged and the car was sent to our house for test drive within a couple of hours.

They had brought the full option diesel version of the car for test drive. We were told that both the petrol and diesel engines were from FIAT.Everyone at home liked the vehicle and we decided to go for the base version petrol Manza (AQUA SAFFIRE if am not wrong) in Monarch red color. We decided to buy the petrol version since the car would not be driven much.

We were looking to sell our Hyundai Elantra and we thought we'd exchange it for the new Manza. They gave us a discount of Rs.10,000 on the car, Rs.20,000 additional exchange bonus (new year offer) and they also agreed to give us free accessories like Floor Mat, Mud Flap, Steering Cover, Leather Seat, Window Tints and Perfume. The deal was finalized and we placed a booking right away. They told us that the car would be available 3 days before the wedding (total of 2 weeks waiting time).

10 days went by and we get a call from the dealer telling us that Monarch Red would not be available within the specified time and we would have to choose from the colours currently available. Went to the dealer to see if something could be done about this. There was not much they could do as the current lot that had arrived did not have red colour. The only option for us to get the vehicle delivered on time for the wedding was to choose from the available colours. So we chose Dew White.

Dew white Manza costs Rs.5000 more than other colours. We had a discussion with director at the showroom and finally they agreed to give us Dew white for the same price as red. Plus they agreed to paint the door handles and mirrors dew white (Aqua by default comes with black door handles and rear view mirrors).

3 days before the proposed delivery date the sales executive called us to inform that the vehicle had come and they will do the PDI. On the fixed delivery date we call them in the morning and they tell us the vehicle will be delivered only the next day. Again, went to the showroom and gave them an earful. They agreed to deliver the car the same day evening by 7pm. They did not let us see the car as they said they were fitting the accessories. So we left and returned to the showroom at 7pm. Saw the vehicle for the first time. First thoughts, it actually looked better than expected in dew white. The paint has kind of a pearl finish to it.

We proceeded to inspect our vehicle. Everything as promised, except that the seat was not leather. Instead they had put some cloth seat cover. I brought this to the notice of the sales executive. He immediately called someone on his phone to check about this. After his conversation, he comes and tells us that since we had chosen dew white colour, which is expensive, they had to cut down on leather seat and instead gave us normal seat covers.

There was no point in arguing with the sales guy at that time (it was evening and showroom was closing, most of the staff had left). So had no choice but to take the car with the seats they provided as I had to take it to my native place the next day for my cousin's wedding. So completed the other checks, signed the papers, got the keys, did the pooja and took the vehicle home.

Next morning I woke up early and as I walked around the car something grabbed my attention. I found that one of the wiper blades was raised at both the ends (like a bow, see pic below). For one moment I thought it was some new innovative technology by TATA. Called the sales guy on his cell phone a little later and he said he will replace it in the morning itself. He sent a staff later to replace the blade. No issues found after that.

Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-wiper.jpg

The Car:

The car, I would say, is great value for money. Quality wise, it could have been better though.

The car looks good from the front. Did not like the rear quarter design to be honest. Looks out of proportion. The wheels look really small for the car. I personally feel that Manza looks best in Monarch Red colour.

The interiors are truly a class apart. Step into the car and just like the reviews on the internet claim, lots of space inside. The beige and grey combination dash looks nice too. The top variant Manza comes with features like steering mounted audio controls, power windows, bluetooth pairing with phone, 2DIN integrated music system, driver information system etc. AQUA (base) version gets a 2DIN music system as standard, a digital clock replaces the DIS, steering controls are missing, power windows only for the front and fog lamps are missing too.

The dials on the instrument cluster are small yet readable, very nice to look at. White light for the dials of the instrument cluster adds to the elegant looks. The AC is pretty good too. In fact, I feel it is much better than the one on our Skoda Octavia. As far as seating goes, the front seats are really comfortable and its not hard to find a good driving position. Rear seat passengers, I am sure, will appreciate the class leading space.

One area where the car really disappoints is its performance and fuel efficiency. I drove the car for nearly 200kms and I got a fuel efficiency of around 10Km/l on an average. Will confirm the exact figures later. What disappoints even more is the way the engine delivers power. The petrol engine feels lousy. I do not know if its just me (Could be that I am comparing it with my other cars - Civic and Octavia) or other petrol manza owners also feel the same. The nett result is that you have an engine which does not feel powerful and not fuel efficient. The diesel car that I drove during test drive felt much better and I would really recommend manza buyers to go for the diesel variant over petrol. Diesel engine is more fuel efficient (accordinng to other team-bhp reviews) and more fun to drive.

Not that petrol engine is slow, but it takes quite some time to build speed. I did over 110Km/h a couple of times and the car felt really stable at those speeds. The ride quality is good too. One does not notice the small to medium undulations on the road. Sound proofing is also done well.

Overall, I feel Manza is a great buy. Just a couple of negatives - average quality and the SAFIRE engine. I cannot comment much on the TATA after sales services just yet. The total buying experience was not bad. The staff at the dealership were courteous. Just that they tend to be careless at times.

I just read GTO's review of the Toyota Etios. Seems to be a great competitor to Indigo Manza. More options for buyers looking for cars in 5-7 Lakh rupees range it seems.

Have fun all and wish you a very very happy new year !!!

Pics (pardon the bad photography):

Keys
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-01_keys.jpg

Front
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-02_front.jpg
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-03_front2.jpg
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-04_front3.jpg

Side
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-05_frontside.jpg

Rear
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-06_rear.jpg
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-07_rearside.jpg

Euro4
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-08_bs4.jpg

Turn Indicator, Rear view mirror & door handles painted dew white
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-09_turnindicator.jpg

Nice Wheel Covers. One of my friend who has a Manza said he replaced his wheel cover 3 times now. It comes off easily he complains.
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-10_wheels.jpg

Interior, Front
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-11_interior1.jpg

Steering wheel looks nice
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-12_interior2.jpg

Glove box, very low opening
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-13_glovebox.jpg

Instrument Cluster looks good, especially with lights on at night
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-14_instrument1.jpg
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-15_instrumentlit.jpg

Center Console with integrated Digital Clock & 2 DIN Music System
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-16_center.jpg

Rear seat space with front seats pushed to the front and back
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-17_rearseat.jpg

Engine
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-18_engine.jpg
Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA-19_engine2.jpg
over.drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 10:51   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Indigo Manza: The wide-eyed TATA

Hey over.drive, congratulations on the Manza. It is one of the best colors in Manza and looks very good in this ivory like white.

Enjoy the miles ahead
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 10:57   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, I dunno why but I actually like the rear of the Manza, reminds of Cadillac from the 70's

BTW did you pull the wiper blades out, or something wrong with them, they dont seem to be hugging the windshield.

Last edited by kartikk : 11th January 2011 at 11:08. Reason: :) really?
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 11:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Manza. Surprisingly the dew white costs more than 6000 in Bangalore than the normal colors.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Manza.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 12:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Manza. Surprisingly the dew white costs more than 6000 in Bangalore than the normal colors.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Manza.
Thank you nkrishnap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Congrats on the purchase, I dunno why but I actually like the rear of the Manza, reminds of Cadillac from the 70's

BTW did you pull the wiper blades out, or something wrong with them, they dont seem to be hugging the windshield.
Thanks kartikk. I did not do anything to the wiper blade. The person who came to replace the wiper blade said the vehicle must have been parked outside in the hot sun in their yard. I am not entirely sure if that was caused by heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Hey over.drive, congratulations on the Manza. It is one of the best colors in Manza and looks very good in this ivory like white.

Enjoy the miles ahead
Thanks gshanky.
over.drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 12:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice car. Wishing you, your cousin & your family unlimited safe and happy miles with the mini-limousine. Keep more updates and pictures coming regularly.

Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote