Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st January 2011, 23:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano CX- Initial Impressions and Ownership report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats & that's a nice little small car you got your sister.

Great review of the Nano, its requirements like these where the Nano fits perfectly.

Its good to know it has full HVAC, somehow I thought that being middle model it wouldn't have heater(as the first gen Indica's didnt have them either)

Btw how bad is the impact on performance with A/c, I am assuming it would be somewhat like Alto or even worse.

Keeping in mind that you folks do get Fog, any plans to put in Fog lamps? How much would they cost if fitted additionally?
there is very minimal impact of AC. alto is the worst car when it comes to AC impact.

the pick up on nano is also better owing to less weight.

the tyre specs on nano for rear is 155/65 R12 whereas that on alto is 145/80 R12. alto rear tyres look punny than nano
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the tyre specs on nano for rear is 155/65 R12 whereas that on alto is 145/80 R12.
Hmm, so the Nano has lower profile tyres compared to the Alto.

Maybe switching to higher profile tyres might help in reducing some of the bumpiness in ride quality being experienced by some of the other Nano owners here on slightly broken roads ? I do not know the impact of upsizing on the other clearances / performance, though.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Tata Nano CX- Initial Impressions and Ownership report.

That's a nice short and sweet review! The car looks great and the off white paint job is spot on! The bumpers also look like factory fitted ones and not an
'afterwards' job. How much did you pay for the body colored bumpers?

Is there any plan of launching the nano with a diesel and/or an upgraded engine? Considering rising prices of petrol, I think a diesel variant of the nano would do wonders
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 08:53   #34
BHPian

Congrats! I dont' care too much about power. But how good is the comfort of drive. I would be a bit concerned about noise and vibrations,cooling effect etc
snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 09:37   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Maybe switching to higher profile tyres might help in reducing some of the bumpiness in ride quality being experienced by some of the other Nano owners here on slightly broken roads ? I do not know the impact of upsizing on the other clearances / performance, though.
Let's not forget the Nano's weight is biased towards rear and it's a Rear wheel driven car, so switching to higher profile rubber may upset the handling balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Is there any plan of launching the nano with a diesel and/or an upgraded engine? Considering rising prices of petrol, I think a diesel variant of the nano would do wonders
Nano will come with a Common Rail Diesel engine in future. Last year Mr.Ratan Tata in an Interview said they were testing the Diesel and the Engine fired successfully. Expect the Diesel to have phenomenal FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Congrats! I dont' care too much about power. But how good is the comfort of drive. I would be a bit concerned about noise and vibrations,cooling effect etc
The seats are comfortable, ergonomics are good, ride is decent, NVH is slightly higher than M-800 and AC is told to be good too. Overall i did not find the car lacking in comfort for city driving at all.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 11:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Believe it or not this is the first initial review of the tata nano i have read. This car always makes my head turn when i see it on the road. As you mentioned in your report this is quite the ideal city runabout, exactly what tata had intended. Interior space as you said is quite shocking for a small hatch, i mean your 6.2 and a six footer can sit behind you, thats an achievement in itself for such a small car. Waiting for tata to launch the cvt variant, which am sure will be a huge hit with first time drivers. Who knows the cvt nano could be a huge mindset changer, and we could see more people buying automatics once they graduate from their nano cvt's. I did say once that i might never buy a tata product cause of a past experience. But a nano cvt would be hard to resist even for me. Looking forward to hearing more about the car aswell as the a.s.s wishing your sister many miles of joyful motoring in her new nano.
Regards
mash
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 17:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab, somehow I don't see a CVT nano becoming a reality. The first bullet point (though invisible) in a nano's features list is "LOW PRICE". I can't see a CVT and the sub 200,000 price tag going hand in hand...

Of course, it would be great to have one.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Agree the price would definately scale north. But i heard that tata is on the lookout for a low cost reliable cvt for the nano. Hope they find one soon, am really looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
@mdsaab, somehow I don't see a CVT nano becoming a reality. The first bullet point (though invisible) in a nano's features list is "LOW PRICE". I can't see a CVT and the sub 200,000 price tag going hand in hand...

Of course, it would be great to have one.
Old 26th January 2011, 11:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity of hearing the engine note of a nano recently. While it is quite noisy and does not sound too refined. It is no way close to the sound of an autorickshaw. It is a two cylinder engine after all, i guess that much sound is expected.
Old 27th January 2011, 01:54   #40
BHPian

A lovely review....Short ,sweet and informative. It tempts me to get hold of one. The fact that it can seat a six footer in the rear with a six footer driving it sounds too good to be true especially to an Alto user! That was a sharp piece of observation on the grill being closed. Does that mean that after market air conditoning installation is being discouraged?
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 09:59   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Interior space as you said is quite shocking for a small hatch, i mean your 6.2 and a six footer can sit behind you, thats an achievement in itself for such a small car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
The fact that it can seat a six footer in the rear with a six footer driving it sounds too good to be true especially to an Alto user!
The Legroom is surprisingly better than cars which are priced at a notch or two higher including Alto, Santro, Swift, Punto etc. However due to external size limitations it's not as wide as the others on the inside, it can seat 4X6 footers in comfort. Don't believe me? Go try yourself.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
That was a sharp piece of observation on the grill being closed. Does that mean that after market air conditoning installation is being discouraged?
It is not to discourage A/C installation. Since it does not need an air intake, to reduce the wind resistance and hence increase fuel efficiency the grill is closed.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:24   #43
Team-BHP Support

^^ The closed vent can be removed easily.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:26   #44

Congratulations... the car looks great, and most importantly, looks like its bringing a lot of smiles to you and your family . Way to go!
I'd like your feedback on the noise or sound of the engine. How would you compare it with the sound of say a Maruti 800?
Ikonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:07   #45
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Also, about the wrong bumpers, man, that was quite a catch. The thing I don't understand is why the Base model doesn't have the front grill (as in, it shouldn't matter whether there's an HVAC unit or not).
Actually the orifices in the front bumper make a huge difference in aerodynamic drag. The closed ones reduce drag drastically.
The difference is so huge that the Chevy Cruze thats being sold in the US has motor operated flaps to close and open the front grill depending on the temperature of the radiators. There is significant improvement in kmpl too. Please google for details. If you see the Cruze sold in India the front grill is half closed when seen up close. So also the front grill of the Maruti Alto.

If the slits in a heavy car like the Cruze makes such a difference in kmpl then it sure will help the lighter car when traveling above 40kmph. Most of the nano's I have seen on Kerala state highways are always driven in the manic mode by most of their owners. In fact very few cars dare to have a go at the Cruze but the Nano driver always has a go at my Cruze on twisty village roads in Kerala. I more often than not give way because the girth of my car is a tad more unwieldy when there is an oncoming bus on narrow roads through which a nano will easily squeeze through. More over I hate to be rear ended.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote